Morning links: Bringing the noise at CenturyLink

Post by Eric Williams on July 4, 2012 at 9:35 am with 47 Comments »
July 4, 2012 9:35 am
Seattle Seahawks fans surround a Cleveland Browns fan as she mugs for TV cameras Sunday, Nov. 30, 2003 at Seahawks Stadium in Seattle. (AP Photo/Ted S. Warren)

Good morning and happy Fourth of July folks.

As ESPN’s Mike Sando points out, buried in a story by Kevin Clark of the Wall Street Journal on the NFL relaxing blackout rules is this nugget.

In hopes that professional football can mimic the wild stadium atmosphere typical of college football games, the NFL says it has “liberalized” its restraints on crowd noise. Stadiums will now be free to rile up crowds with video displays, and public-address announcers will no longer be restrained from inciting racket when the opposing offense faces a crucial third down.”

Clark goes on to say the league is relaxing rules in stadiums and making free wireless internet available because more fans are choosing to stay home and watch games. The changes are in response to a decline in ticket sales each of the past five years, with average game attendance down 4.5% since 2007.

Of Course, that has not been the case in Seattle, which had a streak of 77 sell outs and is known as having one of the loudest stadiums in the league.

And the fans at CenturyLink are pretty educated, knowing when to turn up the volume and when to sit on their hands. Evidence of that is Seattle’s opponents have the most false start penalties in the league (111) since 2005.

But the relaxed noise rules could help Seattle get the fans revved up during critical stretches of the game. Crowd noise has been a factor over the years, as the Seahawks have the second best home record in the NFC since moving to the NFC West in 2002 at 51-29 (.638). Only the Packers at 55-25 (.688) have a better record over that span.

Bill Barnwell of Grantland writes a piece on how travel affects NFL teams, and notes that the Seahawks flew five times as many miles as Pittsburgh did for road games in 2008 – 29,912 compared to 5,682 for the Steelers.

Former Seattle quarterback Seneca Wallace offers this video diary on his trip to visit U.S. troops in Kuwait in the video below.

Gary Horton of Scouts Inc. predicts the Seahawks will be one of four most improved defenses in the NFL this season, joining Dallas, Buffalo and the New York Jets. You must be an ESPN Insider to view this. Horton: This defense plays with a swagger, and is the most physical group that I have seen on film. They have great variety in their skill sets, which allows the coaches to create exotic schemes. Above all, though, they are a young defense that will be good for a long time.

Pete Prisco of CBS Sports provides a list of what every team needs to happen to make the playoffs. As you can imagine, Seattle’s list is pretty simple – Tarvaris Jackson or Matt Flynn seizing control and playing well at quarterback.

Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports throws water on the idea that anything has been settled on the quarterback competition in Seattle, and to expect the true battle to begin in August.

Seahawks general manager John Schneider discusses rookies Bruce Irvin and Bobby Wagner with Tony Ventrella in video links here and here.

Morning links
  1. FleaFlicker says:

Eric, thanks for another interesting post during the slow period. The lack of real news in July drives me a little nuts. Can’t wait for this season to get rolling so I can obsessively check the Insider.

Time to get outside and enjoy the sunshine, but let me pass along an interesting link to Sando discussing TEs in the division. Didn’t realize that NFC West was dead last in scoring from that roster spot last year:

2. chrisj122 says:

I can’t wait to see and hear a home game with the opposing team in a 3rd and long situation, then listening to the deafening roar of the crownd while Bruce Irvin is lined up on the edge gettin ready to bull rush the passer. The thought of it is already giving me goosebumps.

Yes, the atmosphere is awesome. That’s why I’m skeptical of increased participation from the stadium. We fans already know what we’re doing. Lol

The atmosphere has always been awesome with the Seahawks. We are the most deserving fans to have a Superbowl win!

Can’t wait till the rookies and newcomers see this!

5. bbnate420 says:

I agree with you, Duke. This could actually decrease the Hawks home field advantage relative to other teams because the fans here already know when to turn it up and I doubt this will make much of a difference at the Clink. We’ll see how much it affects other teams.

6. I go to a lot of games. Trust me, there are more people sitting around me who AREN’T screaming than are. There is always room for improvement. I wish guys would put their foot down with wet blanket wives who text all game. That is rampant. I leave mine at home and go with a buddy. The loudest section is easily the Hawks nest. I upgraded my seats but I sincerely miss the Hawks nest. I don’t mind the uncomfortable seating because I prefer to stand most of the game. Hard to really scream sitting down.

7. bbnate420 says:

Maybe I just lucked into a good section when I buy tickets from one of my friends with season tickets and go. We have a very loud section. There are some disengaged people there but they are by far and away the minority. I doubt the announcer and graphics on a screen will make disengaged and texting fans wake up and participate, at least for most of them.

9. Texting: It Can Wait.

Get your stupid face out of your smartphone, and pay attention to the game. I want to hear a hurricane of noise this season at the Clink. I mean, on television, since I live on the East Coast. But still….

GO SEAHAWKS!!!

10. In the south end zone, we don’t need no stinking smart phones. We were born loud.

11. The 2 sections on either side of the 12th man flag are loud but the Lower level club seats are not very rowdy – too reserved I guess.

I do have to say that we are not always a very smart crowd – at least 5-6 times last year they tried – almost successfully to start the wave – WHILE WE WERE ON OFFENSE!!!

2 seasons ago – we were inside the 10 in the south endzone. Matt was waving the arms trying to get people to quiet down and ended up calling a TO cause people got louder (or the play clock was running down – but that doesn’t go to my point)

Also, about the false starts – have you noticed that they are ever shrinking – we literally used to have a lead by like 15 false starts over the #2 stadium and now it is down to like 4/5. It has as much to do with having a good home team that gets out in front and makes other teams pass. We have not done that recently

12. bbnate420 says:

A lot of times the words crowd and smart don’t really go together. If someone stupid tries to start the wave at a bad time mob mentality and the innate human desire to go along with the crowd kicks in and people just go along. That said, the crowd at the Clink is DEFINITELY loud if nothing else.

The other thing to keep in mind here, is that there are going to be a lot of people who haven’t gone to games before, now that Seattle is on the rise. Part of the predictable ebb and flow of fandom. An it’s up to those of us who have been around a while to help teach, as it were, how to be a good fan, not simply berrade them.

14. “Yeah, Carson, you must sit in a bad section. It’s generally so loud you can’t hear the person talking, right next to you, for all the games I go to. (Presuming it’s s good game.)” – Dukeshire

I’ve sat in almost every “area” of the stadium and have season tix since 1998. I suffered through the Husky Stadium years so don’t act like you’re the authority on this.

In every section, when the game is on the line or its a critical third down, yes, it is loud. But next time you go, truly look around when the opponent has the ball on 1st down in the 1st quarter. Doesn’t matter where you are in the crowd, there are people who are disengaged, eating, texting, etc. The only exception is right around Big Lo in the south end zone. There’s still room for improvement there, but he (and Adam Wright and the headbanger and everyone else over there) keep the fans engaged, even early on.

This is basically allowing the stadium announcer to rile people up as well, and probably means more shots on Big Lo on the video board. Can’t see how that’s a bad thing or how people can be naive enough to think we have reached the maximum potential of our crowd. Makes me think you don’t make it to many games.

Carson – What is god’s name are you talking about? It must be exhausting looking for reason’s to be defensive, when none exist. Oh, and by the way, my family’s had season tickets since 1980, if you want to play that ridiculous game. So you can save the “not many games” rhetoric.

16. hawkfan777 says:

Come on boys be nice. :)

I can agree with both Duke and Carson on some level. Seahawk fans are awesome and I have been to several different stadiums. There is really no comparison. I have also been to 60+ Seahawks games over the past decade. However, I have seen many fans sitting around texting etc in 1st and 2nd down situations. On 3rd and 4th down the crowd gets pretty active. I have only had season tickets on the sides of the field (10 yard line to 50 yard line – on the 1st and 2nd levels). I have sat in the end zone a few times but I have never had season tickets there. We have a great crowd, I don’t know if we can expect much of an improvement but if we wanted we could definitely improve, especially on earlier downs.

I’m not even really disagreeing with him, and he’s offended. Dude’s a trip.

18. rramstad says:

I dunno, I guess I’ll throw some gas on the fire… In my experience, generally, things are pretty loud at the start of the game, and if there’s a lull, it’s second quarter. Fans tend to get fired up again a bit at the start of the third, and the fourth is totally dependent on how the game has gone i.e. if it’s tight, or we’re really walloping the opponent, it can get loud, if we’re anxious, we’re sitting on our hands.

So, I think the new guidelines could be really helpful, actually.

As far as false starts are concerned, my feeling is that over the last couple of years the officials have been giving the visitors a bit more leeway and allowing some flexing and bending at the line after being set — these are things, along with minor twitches, that normally get flags, but because of the noise that Seahawks fans generate, the referees are loathe to toss a flag every single time. In fact, last year I definitely saw a few defensive encroachment penalties called when it was clear the offense moved first…

19. Macabrevity says:

Shouldn’t bother you guys to see someone texting. Maybe they’re blogging about the game they’re not watching? Maybe the wifi is so good it’s worth the price of a ticket? Do we have wifi even? I’ve been away a loooong time.

As for the season ticket holder argument. I’ve never been one, but I don’t think it makes me any less of a fan.

bbnate = good call on the ‘smart crowd’ oxy moron :)

20. SandpointHawk says:

Hell they could be posting to Insiders Live Game Chat…:)

Mac – It has absolutely nothing to do with how big a fan one is. I totally agree.

22. Yeah it doesn’t have anything to do with how big a fan you are at all. You could be a huge fan and live in Minnesota, like Bobbyk.

But if the conversation is about the potential of the crowd to stay loud for an entire four quarters of a game and you have been to every single game for years, it certainly helps.

Duke, I wasn’t really being defensive and I’m really not argumentative. I realize when I re-read my post that it comes off that way if you read it with that expectation. It’s a perception thing. Your posts come off that way to me too, and I realize that and I will try not to read them in a negative tone. Most of the time I am sarcastic or dry and I realize it doesn’t play well in text.

*******

On a way more positive note, I had lunch today with Richard Sherman and Kam Chancellor courtesy of the Seahawks. Two extremely humble guys who I couldn’t be bigger fans of. I think we can all agree on the fact that the Seahawks are lucky to have them both, and really lucky to have a GM that found them in the 5th round of the previous two drafts.

********

23. Is there a way for me to post pictures of Sherm and Bam-Bam and the custom printed 12thMan sweatshirt I had them sign?

Also I should clarify that it wasn’t just me who had lunch today with Big Sherm & Bam Bam, it was any Seahawk fan who wanted to make the drive to the DQ in Bellingham around 11 am – which turned out to be like 5 dudes. Also met a few SeaGals but I can’t properly discuss that without figuring out how to delete the history on my laptop before my wife logs on.

Carson – Email them to Eric. I’m sure he’d be happy to post them on here. That would be cool to see.

25. MikePDX says:

Hey we have to get the clink video board to show a bar graph or something that shows the decibels (in real time) on opponent’s third downs and goal line stands. Then fans can see how they are doing and push that bar graph (or noise meter) as high as it can go. Somebody please email Carroll about this!

I had lunch today with Elvis.

My neighbor Elvis Rodriguez. Lol.

27. bbnate420 says:

We’ll see how much the new rules affect the noise/engagement level this year. I’m just not sold that the announcer or graphics on the big screen are going to pull the kind of people who can’t keep their face out of their smart phone for more than 5 seconds out of their stupor. May help newer fans that just don’t know when to amp it up yet.

Since I’m not suppose to talk about our current qb competition, what if this competition doesn’t shake out?
    Who would we then look at in 2013?

29. dirtbiker_joey says:

I grew up in Philly, where my family has had season tickets for generations, and I’ve been to games at more than 20 of the current NFL Stadiums. I’ve been a Seahawks season ticket holder since I moved out here in 1998. From what I’ve seen, the noise levels at the Clink are the result of the accustics of the stadium, not the “football IQ” of the fans. Sure, Seattle fans are generally more engaged and savvy than say Arizona Cardinal, or San Diego, or Tennessee fans, but they got nothing on Philly fans, or even Giants, Cowboys, or Steelers fans. Go to a game in one of those cities, or Green Bay, or Chicago, you’ll find that while Seattle fans are great, and contribute to an awesome home field advantage, they are not unique. Trust me, Seahawk fans aren’t the only ones who know make noise on third and long. Bottom line, I don’t think this rule change will have much impact either way.

30. pabuwal says:

I remember the late 90s when the Eagles couldn’t sell the Vet out. Just a few down years and season tickets were easy to come by.

And Giants fans are some of the quietest fans out there. They stay seated the entire game. Guess they can do that with 4 Lombard Trophies.

I haven’t been to as many stadiums as you, but I’ve been to several, and for my money, Denver (especially at the old Mile High) and KC were some of the most engaged fans I’ve seen. Chicago was also great. I would love to go to Philly and NY.

32. Ok since we are talking seats and areas – I am curious where everyone sits.

I am in 326 – what about everyone else

33. I’ll be in 139 again this year.

Also, I posted the picture on twitter – @SeeHawks12

And if you already follow @JacsonBevens from Field Gulls he retweeted it earlier.

34. Macabrevity says:

Just out of curiosity (ain’t movin back to Seattle anytime soon) how difficult is it these days to get season tix as of 2012, especially with the upswing in fandom and skyrocketing prices and all that? Is it one of those things where guys who have been on a waiting list since 2005 are just starting to get the call?

35. Southendzone says:

I’ve sat around the stadium as well, never in the Hawks nest though. I’m partial to the South End Zone (as you might imagine).

I find that the 300 level is VERY tame (maybe you have to go up to the rafters to find crazy people), not only do people rarely stand, if you do you have a good chance to get asked to sit down.

I’ve sat in multiple locations in the South End zone, including 3 great years in 124 J, as well as a few more above the concourse It’s a great area, with a good portion of the fans standing for all defensive plays. A favorite thing about down here is when you get some random non-fan who shows up behind you and is mad about you standing up, it’s not a season ticket holder and I just tell them, sorry, it’s gonna be this way for the next 3 hours you can stand up too or have my ass in your face for the duration, it’s your call.

36. bryndildaddy says:

Since the Hawks haven’t actually had a winning season for quite awhile there isn’t a waiting list for season tickets at this point. My question is how many false starts have beeen called on the Hawks themselves at home since 2005?

37. hawkfan777 says:

This time of the year sucks for Hawks news. It is sad that we have spent two days talking about crowd noise. Sheesh.

Here’s a good SS zone blitz drawn up by Matt Bowen, that we’re likely to see Kam engaged in (if only sporadically) this season. (Matt even has his line in an “under” front.) To me, this looks like sonething straight out of Carroll’s playbook. I can see this with Jones at 3-tech, in their base sets, simply because Branch is a bit slow to get to the LT’s open shoulder. In any case…

39. yellaman says:

The reason I still go to seahawk games is for the game. I like to watch the game within the game; for example, the OL vs DL or the WR’s VS the DB’s. You can’t get a good feel from the TV on these aspects of the game. Football is my favorite sport so to watch all parts of the game is what interest me. As far as the fans go, I like the fans who are educated about the game, who know when to cheer and who aren’t obnoxious to the rest of us. I don’t mind the crazies its what makes this sport fun, but I do have a complaint with the “clink.” About 2-3 years ago, they installed seats right in front of my location ( I sit on the rail in 200 level) and those people get to stand all game long so I can’t see some of the action because if I stand up then the people behind wouldn’t be able to see the game. I hate to be an a#@ and complaint but then I wind up missing parts of the action. Another thing, I spend double($160 a game) what these yahoos in front of me spend and they want to pop off to me when I ask them to be considerate and sit during certain moment of action. I’ve even asked to move my seats but I like my seats and now I can only imagine how obnoxious the fan base will get now that they are lifting certain restrictions. Its amazing how much Alcohol Enforcement is constantly partolling the stadium and the abuse the ushers take at the hands of some fans. I’ve witnessed it first hand some of the abuses stadium personnel take. I to tailgate before the game and have some food and few drinks beforehand then maybe have 2 beers($9 a pop)in the stadium during the game because that’s what I like to do but no conscessions food for me because they are outragesouly over priced. But this is the price I pay to watch a real game of football and not one that is dictated to me by TV.

The good news about this dead time of year, is that the weather is perfect. Hope everyone is enjoying it.

41. On the opposite end of the spectrum, I don’t understand why people want to go to a football game and spend most of it sitting like they are at the opera. Even though I don’t play or coach for the Seahawks, if I’m watching the Hawks, I’m nervous and like to stand (I’d rather pace, but there isn’t room for that). I was so happy when I got to Detroit (XL) and realized my seat was in the last row in the upper level. I stood the entire game and never had any interest in sitting even though almost everyone in Ford Field that day sat (Seahawk and Steeler fans). About the only time I sat was during the Rolling Stones at halftime. I feel the same way about regular season games if your team has a legit chance to compete for something special. I have no problem sitting and watching if I know the team sucks and the game is, therefore, meaningless.

42. Bobbyk,

I agree 100%. I pace constantly, throw pillows and I’m also extremely superstitious. My wife will come back to the bedroom sometimes during games (too hard to watch in the living room with the kids unless she knows it’s a big game and gets everyone out of the house) and see me standing in the corner and she knows what happened. I was pacing, we scored a TD, and now I am too superstitious to leave that corner of the room where I was standing when it happened. I also have a lucky football that I toss up and down during games until things go bad and then it’s my “not-lucky” football and it has to go. Of course, a lot of times if we’re losing I simply change the channel and then change it back which seems to work

43. SandpointHawk says:

RealRob to Wilson

“What do you say about people who say you’re too short, Shorty?” “Because you are short. Let’s just be honest. You’re a short little dude.”

44. bbnate420 says: