Hawks training camp set to open July 28

Post by Eric Williams on July 2, 2012 at 6:30 pm with 41 Comments »
July 2, 2012 6:30 pm
Seattle Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch. (AP Photo/Elaine Thompson)

The Seattle Seahawks announced the team’s list of training camp dates this afternoon, which is set to begin on Saturday, July 28 at the team’s headquarters in Renton, the Virginia Mason Athletic Center.

Seattle’s training camp concludes on Aug. 15.

Thirteen of the dates are open to the public. Fans interested in attending training camp must register through the team’s web site, seahawks.com, beginning on July 13. A pre-sale for season ticket holders will begin on July 11.

Registration will be available on a first-come, first-served basis and fans 15 years or younger must be accompanied by an adult. Only fans that register through seahawks.com will be allowed to attend practice.

A $6 transportation fee will be charged per person, as fans will be required to park at an off-site location and shuttled to VMAC before and after each practice. The VMAC parking lot will be closed to the public.

Check out the list of available dates below.

Day Date Time
Saturday July 28 10 a.m.
Sunday July 29 10 a.m.
Monday July 30 10 a.m.
Tuesday July 31 10 a.m.
Thursday August 2 10 a.m.
Friday August 3 10 a.m.
Saturday August 4 10 a.m.
Sunday August 5 1:00 p.m.
Tuesday August 7 1:15 p.m.
Wednesday August 8 1:15 p.m.
Thursday August 9 1:15 p.m.
Tuesday August 14 1:15 p.m.
Wednesday August 15 1:15 p.m.

Training camp
  1. We should all go on the same day and then rate/argue about the play of the QB’s for the rest of camp ;)

2. bbnate420 says:

It’d be better than all the pointless speculation going on now.

3. RDPoulsbo says:

Of course if we do that, we’d only see 1 of the 3 QBs so it would be even more arguing. That day would likely fall on a T-Jack day just for Bobby.

I glad I’m not the only one who finds all this QB talk pointless.

We ought to put together an “Insider” meet up for one of the practices. Could be fun.

5. bird_spit says:

I’ll be the guy with the disinterested look on his face unless Flynn or Portis has the ball in his hand. To me, if Portis has any potential, T-Jack should go.

6. iHateHarbaugh says:

Great idea. This is my first summer back in WA in 4 years so I am dying to get out to a VMAC practice on a Summer day. If somehow a day is decided i’m in

7. beavercleaver says:

As much as everyone is sick of the QB controversy talk theres not much else to discuss. I’d like to take a whack at it. Personally I think it’s quite clear if you look at it logically instead of emotionally. The following is based on all three contenders playing “equally” in camp.
    PC and JS didn’t pick up a free agent QB AND draft a QB because they were happy with the QB play, no matter what they say. If they start TJack they will look like failures at picking QB’s especially after the Whitehurst experiment. …Ain’t gonna happen.
    That leaves Flynn and Wilson. IMHO you don’t start a rookie unless you have too or he’s the second coming of Peyton Manning. You just don’t. You let him get a year of experience. Plus, if you start a 3rd round rookie over 2 veterans, one who was brought in to “get his chance” they will NOT be happy … no matter what they say.
    That leaves Flynn unless he absolutely sucks in camp and preseason, he will start. Bet on it. He’s paid his dues, he’s been successful in his opportunities, how do you not give him his chance? You don’t have him back up a 3rd round rookie.
    The competition thing is a motivator, that’s all. The order is set. The only question is if Wilson is good enough to replace Jackson as the back up. TJack is gone it’s just a matter of when, this year or next year. Personally the safest bet is Flynn starts, Tjack backs up, Wilson learns from the 3rd position and Portis gets no reps or preseason time and you try to slip him onto the practice squad.
    That’s my take.

8. bbnate420 says:

You’re right RDPoulsbo! We all need to go 3 days in a row and then we can all arguel Oh wait, none of us will go at all, much less the same day, but we will argue none the less. Go blog! :-) Better than the pointless banter now!

Who was it here, last summer, that went to two or three practices and posted detailed reports? I can’t remember, but they were really good. Hopefully something like that happens again this year.

10. mojjonation says:

Mariners mathematically elimianted by the end of May…check.
    No NBA or NHL to tide us over…check. I’m a homer but the WNBA and
    MLS doesn’t cut it.
    Witty (and not so witty) QB banter…check.

Training camp coming up in just under four weeks…priceless (and about
    friggin’ time).

11. Beavercleaver, I agree with you. It’s Flynn’s job to lose. And unless he’s completely inept in preseason, PC would be crazy not to start him. PC would be wise to remember the progression of Matt Hasselbeck from a mistake-prone QB in 2001 to a star-in-the-making at the end of 2002. Flynn will probably also make mistakes during his first few starts, but in the long run I’ll be very surprised if he isn’t better than TJack. There’s a chance that Wilson will be better than Flynn — but not in 2012.

Dukeshire- I think it was HawkKD or KDHawk or something like that.

I remember that too, and it was good stuff.

13. The closer we get to camp, the more interested I become in the DL competition.

here are the things that I am interested in watching.

1. How are they going to use Irvin
    2. How are they going to use Jones
    3. Will Mebanes play improve with better parts around him
    3a. if yes, what will that improved play look like. – better pressure – better run defense – sacks – etc
    4. Will Red’s role change based on more versatility around him
    5. Will Clem show up?
    5a. If yes, what will his effort look like – will he be insane to prove a point or a punk like what’s his butt in Denver
    6. How much will our team pass rush consistency improve
    7. Could our stopping ability actually improve as well?

Well that’s enough for now

As a group right now I feel more confident about our DL than our OL. Injuries and youth set the OL back last year so it will be interesting to see how they do moving forward.

Man, I though Mebane played really well last season. At NT, he’s not going to be statistically impressive. But as far as holding the point and anchoring their run defense, he’s playing at a very high level. Anything they get from him as far as pressuring the pocket is a bonus.

I too am interested in seeing how they use Jones. Now that they’ve drafted Irvin, it would appear that he’s going to be relegated to 3-tech in nickel almost exclusively. (I’m presuming Irvin will be strong side end in nickel.) But it will be fun to see how they are all used, to be sure.

16. Oh you are right – I am more confident about the DL – doesn’t mean I am not intrigued by the DL – a bright spot that I think might be getting better.

17. FleaFlicker says:

The public practices are a lot of fun; for anybody that’s never attended, I highly encourage checking it out at least once. Try to get there nice and early (and allocate about 20 minutes for bus transfer from the nearby shopping center – zero parking at the VMAC) and bring a blanket or a beach towel, and maybe even a pair of binoculars. A double roster (one by name and one by number) is kind of a necessity with all the new players running around.

I’m hoping for Flynn as starter, Wilson as back-up. But then again, I thought Whitehurst would work out, so I’ll just leave my QB talk at that.

18. The Pro Shop pretends (false advertising) they have Flynn jerseys, but when you order it for your little guy they say they don’t have them yet (but they will send Rice) . They don ‘t even offer Jackson or Wilson. I don’t know what this means, but I happen to think they will magically have enough of the starter when that player is announced. Lol

19. Ok I am shooting for the Monday the 30th!

20. psoundpowerhouse says:

A little off topic, but I just bought tickets for Seattle vs. GB on Monday night!!!
    Section 151 row I.
    God I’m freakin’ Jacked!!!!!

That’s cool. But you might have waited until single game tickets went on sale in August and tried to get them that morning, a bit cheaper. In any case, that’s going to be such a fun night.

22. psoundpowerhouse says:

I was afraid it was gonna be sold out. I guess I figured rather some pig “cheese-head” getting those seats better me. Scream’in for the Hawks!
    It should be “playoff” atomosphere.
    GO SEAHAWKS!
    Happy 4th everyone!

23. RDPoulsbo says:

The one thing I’ll say about the QB situation is I don’t think we’ll see a steep learning curve like we did with Hass/Holmgren. Holmgren ran arguably the most complex offense in the league. There was so much going on, very few WRs could catch on in their 1st season. Bevell’s WCO seems to be much simpler and PC’s vision takes a lot off the QB’s shoulders. There’s a lot of criticism to that approach, but the upside is new QBs are ready much sooner.

Good point, and I agree.

Personally, I like that it’s we the fans that dictate noise levels and the general mood of the stadium, rather than being pumped up. Those kind of gimmicks have a tendency to go too far and become more annoying than their intended results. Some cities actually need this, I’m sure. Jax and St Louis come to mind. But in Seattle, we’ve got it under control. We know what we’re doing.

I also take exception to Sando’s assertion that there is an “obvious” need to improve the so-called fan experience. If we’re talking safety, that’s one thing. But let’s not get carried away with the family thing. This isn’t Disneyland. That is, this is a violent sport and brings racous behavior out of people. Folks are going to get drunk, Mike. What does be think is going on at all those tailgate parties? Besides, how many people can afford to even take their whole families to games? Anyway…

To add: I’m not against families or children at games. Some of my fondest memories are going to Seahawk games with my dad, as a kid. I’m only saying that there’s a balance between party and G rated. Outside of Oakland and Arizona (believe it or not) I think most teams and the league are doing a hell of a job finding the middle ground.

27. bbnate420 says:

Duke, I totally agree about not trying to keep the games G-rated. Profanity? Are there really parents out there that think their kids haven’t heard/use curse words? Retarded! And what harm has ever been caused by someone hearing/using “profanity”? If you can’t handle curse words then take your kids to Chuck E. Cheese and stay away from the clink IMO.

I did go to Chuck E. Cheese once bbnate420. They cut me off at two beers and I had a designated driver. Fortunately there was a good Mexican restaurant next door.

BTW- what does the 420 mean? Does it mean Sweet Water 420 beer that they brew in Atlanta?

29. SandpointHawk says:

Put 420 in Google and check the results…

Lol. Georgia, I’m a bit surprised.

Football- explained by the late and great Andy Griffith.

Happy 4th everyone!

32. Profanity and even some heckling are one thing. But, by the same token, there are way too many incidents of people being drunk a-holes and dumping beer on kids and just being unnecessarily crude.

I really didn’t know what 420 means. Oh well, learn something new everyday. Lol.
    I don’t know much about micro beer either, but I sure know how to drink it.

Tyness- at least American football fans behavior overall hasn’t escalated to the behavior of crazy Soccer fans around the world!

Yet!

But if the NFL continues to keep phasing out the hitting, my guess then would be an increase of fan violent behavior.

35. montanamike2 says:

At English soccer games the fans throw darts at the other teams fans and vise versa, i’m sure that’s just the rowdy extreme ones but still..

36. Regarding the QB situation, I agree with Jason La Canfora’s take:

For all the shots being taken at Flynn, for instance, do you really think Seattle GM John Schneider, who was in Green Bay when Flynn was drafted and knows him well and who did exhaustive work on him in the offseason and worked him out pretty good during his visit, is panicked now? And does anyone really believe Tarvaris Jackson, who I actually have championed as an underappreciated quarterback, has shown enough in June to be pulling away with that job?

Really?

Jackson has never had a game like Flynn did against Detroit. Hell, few in the history of the game have. Jackson has a head start in coordinator Darrell Bevell’s offense, yes, going back to their time together in Minnesota, but a bunch of passes to guys in shorts against air isn’t going to change the relative financial investment made in Flynn and the fact Seattle’s aggressive pursuit of Peyton Manning and Flynn — and drafting of Russell Wilson — shows that they were by no means convinced they already had their quarterback solution on the roster.

More here: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/19489046/stop-making-up-qb-controversies-and-let-the-battles-play-out

37. pabuwal says:

Carroll will tell us the winner of the QB competition through his choice of words well before he announces it officially.

He’s pretty much been telegraphing everything else the last few years. We knew which positions he was going to target in the draft and he did just that. Of course, he didn’t telegraph any names.

38. pabuwal says:

To correct myself, he and Schneider did telegraph Russell Wilson so that was the easy one.

39. bbnate420 says:

Nice article by LaCanfora. Refreshing to say the least. Writers have to attract readers and need material during the slow periods so it is not surprising that they would want to manufacture controversy.

BTW, Georgia, I don’t really smoke at all anymore, not that I think there is anything wrong with it if you don’t over do it. I used to more and it’s just an easy number to remember for screen names. FYI, it can also have a neo-nazi association as April 20th, 4/20, was Hitler’s birthday. A very weird juxtaposition.