Morning links: Wilson a surprise starter for Hawks?

Post by Eric Williams on June 26, 2012 at 10:15 am with 29 Comments »
June 26, 2012 10:15 am
Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson, right, passes as fellow quarterbacks, from left, Matt Flynn, Josh Portis, and Tavaris Jackson, look on, during a NFL football practice, Thursday, June 14, 2012, in Renton, Wash. (AP Photo/Ted S. Warren)

While much of the quarterback debate in Seattle has focused on Tarvaris Jackson and Matt Flynn, Eric Edholm of Pro Football Weekly believes the third player in the competition – rookie Russell Wilson – is not receiving enough attention, and ultimately could win out as Seattle’s starting quarterback this year.

Edholm places Wilson in his list of rookies that could surprise this season.

Here’s what Edholm had to say:

Something tells me people are wildly underrating his chances to win the starting job, if not in camp then perhaps shortly thereafter if Matt Flynn doesn’t blow some minds (I already have eliminated Tarvaris Jackson from this race, as you can see). Wilson is a different kind of animal. … He’s a tremendous leader and thrower, and I could not care less about his height. I think head coach Pete Carroll agrees with me, and is struggling mightily to keep a poker face about how much he likes the kid. Coordinator Darrell Bevell will find ways to work Wilson outside the pocket, and the return of WR Sidney Rice makes this a very strong group of receivers, with Baldwin finding a home in the slot. Watch out for Wilson — I think he’ll be one of this summer’s biggest surprises.”

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com takes a closer look at undrafted rookie free agent defensive end Cordarro Law, an athletic player with a basketball background who will compete for a job at the Leo position.

ESPN’s Mike Sando takes a look at how teams in the NFC West rated rushing the passer by down. The Seahawks were at the bottom of the division.

Mike Wilkening and Kevin Fishbain of Pro Football Weekly argue who has the stronger defense, the Seahawks are the Niners, as fans vote to see which team moves on to the finals to face Pittsburgh for the title of best defense in the NFL. Check out the video below.

Bill Barnwell of Grantland has an interesting read on why you should not anoint teams that appear to be on the cusp of greatness like the Detroit Lions and San Francisco 49ers as Super Bowl worthy. He also offers his thoughts on the NFL top 100 players list.

Michael Lombardi of the NFL Network discusses how a flat salary cap over the next two years could force teams to restructure rosters in the near future. The cap increased minimally this year, going from $120.375 million in 2011 to $120.6 million, and is expected to do the same in 2013.

Ben Muth of Football Outsiders explains the benefits from watching the All-22 film in evaluating offensive line play.

Morning links
  1. Hey Duke – how could this Edholm guy already eliminate Jackson? Hasn’t he been paying attention to my odds?

2. Autenpus says:

If Wilson can win out in this competition, I’ll be really excited about this team (more so than usual). With an effective O-line and our underrated receiving corps, he could be really fun to watch.

3. mindnbrad says:

Off this post’s topic…but…another hilarious Rob Report yesterday. Thought Baldwin was awesome. Anyone else notice that Winston Guy’s white sheet in his locker actually said, “Dexter Davis” at the top?

4. Hawksince77 says:

pab, nope, he’s been reading my shit.

pab – Clearly not. lol

These opinions about what Carroll is thinking, or who is “in the lead”, or what’s best for Seattle make me yearn for power rankings. Nothing will be sorted out until the pads are on, and I for one cannot wait until we have something of actual substance to judge.

6. DaddyLove says:

No one is ahead, no one is behind, no one is anything. I think Flynn will be the starter, but who knows? I like PC and how he and his team do the right thing for the team no matter what other people think and no matter what the “conventional wisdom” says. I’m behind them.

7. Carlsonkid says:

Ask yourself this ; do you think Wilson is a better QB than Andy Dalton ? Dalton started as a rookie and made Pro Bowl honors . The Seahawks are an up and coming young offense minus the kind of talent at WR Cinci has ( no A.J. Green ) , but I think Wilson would fare much better than most might think if he winds up as starter his first year .

Honestly , I understand the hype about the QB competition , but I think people are just assuming that our O-line troubles are all fixed now . And that may well not be the case . They were absolutely abysmal the first several games last year , and the additions of Lutui and Barron for depth aren’t exactly reassuring to me . I remember sitting in my seat at the stadium and laughing at how horrible Barron was when he was with the Rams . The guy was a false start – holding machine ! Theres a reason T-Jack was running for his life for half a season last year ; our O-line sucked . Heres hoping they can pass block as well as run block this year , our it may not matter who’s under center

It’s nice to hear continued good things about our defense. I’m looking forward to seeing how the front seven will do this year. Top 5 is in reach, imo.
    And it only took between two and three years to do this! Wow!!!

9. chuck_easton says:

Duke and Pab,

I never gave you my ruling! I could go on about the ‘spirit and intent’ of be bet as opposed to the technicality, but that doesn’t seem like it would resolve things.

So, here it is. When Carpenter comes back from PUP this season if he moves back to RT Duke wins the bet. If he takes over as the starting LG and Breno stays at RT Pab wins the bet.

How’s that for being Solomon and cutting the baby in half?

10. Fair enough.

11. djc81457 says:

Remember these facts though-
    Peyton Manning went 3-13 as a rookie.

No rookie QB ever took his team to the super bowl.

If Wilson wins it will be because the other 2 are very disapointing.

The long term answer at QB MIGHT be on this roster- and might not be on this roster yet.

Russel Okung manhandled Julius peppers in his first full start as a rookie-shut him down- then went out for the season-has nevewr had a full season- poterntial to be the best in the league- but has to get past injuries- the whole line is like that except unger.

Our beloved Seahawks are not there yet- in 2-3 years we will be there- a perinial contender for the championship- but not quite this year.

On the upside-

A very young team with loads of talent at many positions.

A coachingmanaging staff that pulls starters out of the 4th and 5th rounds- it’s like getting twice the talent through the draft as other teams- I just can’t wait to see who the “doug baldwin’ is this year. And Ricardo lockett- are you kidding me??? Can he do that all season?

Swagger- it’;s starting to come- a team believing they not only can win- but WILL win!

I think we are on the verge of better thyan the Holmgren era!

12. If the Hawks found a franchise QB in the 3rd round, it’d be quite a coo. I would love it! The kid doesn’t lack any confidence and seems to have all the tools. He might gnash his teeth a little to start, but by season’s end, he could be real good.

I’m loving the competition thing, but also the idea of solid depth if injury were to occur. As we all know, QB is critical and if we have 3 decent ‘game managers’ plus a top rated rusher and overall defense, I like our chances to get to the playoffs and go deep.

Of course, I won’t be posting any odds on that.

Chuck / pab – Over the past month or so, I’ve gone back and re-read every post and comment from Carpenter’s draft-day, to where pabs offers the bet. The farther they got into camp, then pre-season, and eventually to regular season, the more praise Breno received, from Carroll, Cable, and posters here. There was discussion here was whether Breno (who took snaps with the first unit in practice, after the Denver game) would actually take over for Carpenter by game 1. Here’s the rub: pabs, at no point that I found, came out, as others here had, directly said that Breno would / should / ought to start ahead of Carpenter. When he offered his bet however, it was in the midst of these discussions, regarding Breno’s improvement and time with the 1st unit. Breno starting ahead of Carpenter in game 1 due to an injury (to Gallery, where Carp filled in) was never mentioned by him, me, or anyone else. As I presumed that was the intention by pab’s – that Breno would start ahead of Carpenter as a result of outplaying him – I bear responsibility for the bet. I have to (reluctantly) say that he wins. Only he knows what he intended, although I suspect I do know. I didn’t clarify prior, and that’s on me. So, got to give it to pabuwal.

14. Sounds good to me – thanks.

15. Soggybuc says:

Duke if you went back and read that many posts from a year ago we need to find you a second hobby.

My prediction is that by the end of camp MikeRob beats out all the others to be our starting QB, Russel Wilson is deemed far to smart to actually play the game and is instantly promoted to the #2 head coaching position and adopted by the Carroll family.
    T-Jack by virtue of his canon arm replaces Haushka as our kick off guy and the Hawks start an innovative trend of bombing it into the end zone to start games. meanwhile Flynn goes on to have a long and prosperous career in Hollywood as Matt Damons body double.
    Paul McQuistan remains the scariest portrait taker in the NFL.

16. I’m still on the Flynn bandwagon until given reason otherwise.

17. Carlsonkid’s comparison of Wilson to Dalton is interesting. Here are their stats from their senior year in College:

………Comp…att…%….Yards…TD..INT..Rating

Dalton…209…316…66.1…2857…27…6…166.5

Wilson…225…309…72.8…3175…33…4…191.8

Anything new on how the kicking and punting competition is going? Lol.

19. Georgia. Gonna b in sec 215 2morrow@braves game.

Pabs. I am on road. U would b proud. On kindle. Hard 2type.

Lol

20. chuck_easton says:

more important than this trivial QB competition I want an update on which Seagal is the favorite to land the calendar cover, is it Jones Soda or Coke as the official soft drink, and who will be lead snare for Blue Thunder? I won’t sleep a wink until the vital issues are discussed to death here.

21. BobbyK – welcome to the 21st century but I will be proud when your touch screen posts look like your PC posts. You might be able to speak your posts into the Kindle.

BobbyK- Be ready, we are headed for 90+ degree weather, perhaps 106 by the weekend.

I will try to make it there,( depends on how fast my mechanic can fix my car tomorrow.)

My email- fontana04060950@yahoo.com. leave some contact info. I may be running late, however there is a good chance I will be there.

23. DJC81457 – I thought Marino took the Dolphins to the Superbowl his rookie season and never got back there. I’ll have to check that out.

24. My bad. Marino was ROY and the first rookie QB to start a Pro Bowl. Then went to Superbowl 2 years later.

25. Marino took the Dolphins to the Super Bowl in his second year. The best performance by a rookie QB was Ben Roethlisburger in 2004 — a 15-1 record. The next year, he led his team to a Super … well, let’s not go there.

26. Palerydr says:

Duke took a lot of guts to admit you were wrong I already gave you respect for your knowledge that multiplied exponentially after your post. Course it doesn’t mean I won’t disagree with you in the future. :)

27. bbnate420 says:

Pabs won the bet on the technical language of the bet, though on intent I believe he would’ve lost. If you were to take it forward I believe it would be much fairer to base the winner on starting RT in 2013 rather than if Carp takes over at RT once he comes off the PUP. I think there’s a good chance that Carp doesn’t start immediately anywhere when he first comes off he PUP list. He may just be depth until he’s able to practice for a few weeks.

28. Georgia. Ill have on a white dale Murphy Jersey. Sec. 215. Row 16. Seat 10.