Being a Carroll kid

Post by Dave Boling / The News Tribune on June 18, 2012 at 7:13 am with 18 Comments »
June 18, 2012 1:53 pm

In our Dawn Patrol of the wires and links, the most interesting story with a Seahawks connection seems Clare Farnsworth’s piece at Seahawks.com from yesterday which allowed Hawk assistant Nate Carroll to voice some Fathers’ Day thoughts on “Growing up Carroll.”

The 25-year-old defensive assistant said his father, Pete Carroll, had the ability to quickly toggle back into Dad Mode as soon as he got back home. When dad was a defensive coordinator, it seemed merely a job to the kids. But when he became a head coach in the NFL, the public profile of the children raised considerably. And that wasn’t always easy.

From Farnsworth’s story: “When we moved to Boston, it was the first time I had to make new friends with my dad being the head coach and having a lot of notoriety,” Nate said. “I didn’t know how to take it at the time. When we moved to San Francisco, he was the defensive coordinator and kind of under the radar. But in Boston, it’s more a small-town atmosphere where everybody knew everybody else. I’d get a lot of people I didn’t even know coming up to me and saying, ‘Oh, you’re Pete Carroll’s kid.’ I’d be like, ‘No. No I’m not.” And I’d run away. So that was a struggle for me, but it was a growing experience at that stage of my life.”

Some of the top NFL news of the day involves former Seahawk defensive lineman Anthony Hargrove and his involvement in the New Orleans Saints’ bounty case. The suspended players received copies of the league’s evidence on Friday and will have their appeals heard by commissioner Roger Goodell today.

Hargrove’s agent, Phil Williams, voices strong objection to the NFL evidence in this piece from Fox News yesterday. Williams and Hargrove have one of the closest player/agent relationships I’ve ever seen, as Williams was instrumental in Hargrove overcoming a harrowing upbringing and getting into the league in the first place. He makes a point about the situation Hargrove faced. As he came off drug suspension, New Orleans was the only team to give him a chance to get back into the league. And suddenly his loyalty to the staff and teammates was tested. He was put in a ”remarkably difficult position” by his coaches, Williams said. Hargrove, now property of the Packers, was suspended eight games.

The Sporting News offered some rehashing of Eric’s reporting of the Chris Clemons situation, which will bear consideration as we head toward training camp.

Today I’m working on a column for tomorrow morning’s News Tribune of a minicamp interview last week with new Seahawks guard Deuce Lutui, a slimmed-down version of the Arizona Cardinal who used to love vexing former USC teammate and Hawks linebacker Lofa Tatupu. For a guy who seemed a convenient villain as a Seahawk opponent, Lutui is an engaging and entertaining character who gives the Hawk O-line valuable depth (72 NFL starts). Teaser: Lutui talks about a traumatic event in his childhood that shaped his life, the split personality of a man who is a tough guy on the field but a “mama’s boy” off it. And at one point, he lifts his jersey to show off the positive effects his new vegan-ish diet.

1. OregonHawk says:

Thanks Dave! Love your stuff :)

It’s interesting to read about Carroll’s family. With Holmgren and even Mora, we seemed to know so much about their families. Carroll is a stark contrast. Interesting read.

3. raymaines says:

In round figures, what would it cost to put the Franchise Tag on Chris Clemons next year?

With a year and a half to go, that seems like a pretty good idea to me. He works this year on the current contract and plays in 2013 for a big fat salary. By then he’s almost 32 years old and Bruce Irvin is coming into his own. Hey…

4. chuck_easton says:

raymaines,

Very round figures…$10.5 million depending on where the NFL sits salary wise this time next year.

5. I just had a thought.

pause for audible gasps to subside

Is having TJack “start” in the camps *really* deferring to his incumbency? Seems to me that being the later/last starter is advantageous as long as you played well. After all, who remembers who opened the concert. Also, the other starters should be better on day three than they were on day one.

I may be reading too much into this, but it’s way more interesting to me than if Hasselbeck was ever a top 5 QB (statistically no, so no) or if Chris Clemons has the right to hold out (technically yes, so yes).

6. Raymaines, diabolical use of the franchise tag to do that for an “old guy” that won’t likely get another shot at a long term contract, but probably a good idea for the Seahawks.

An edit button for comments would have been useful here so I could have appended my last post.

Echo… echo… echo…

7. Is the Seahawks website ever going to ship its Matt Flynn infant jerseys? I got my Rice shirsey about a month ago but the Flynn hasn’t come yet (even though their website says they are ready for purchase). Has anyone else had this problem with kid jerseys? They have made a lot of money from me through the years but this is really starting to tick me off.

8. Dave,

Since Eric has no interest in answering this question, maybe you would?

If you were Mr. Happy, who would be in YOUR lead, at this point, in this QB derby and why? Even if it could change (which I’m sure it could/would) when you get film on them in a real preseason game. Where would you have them now? Or would you rather not say since you may have to interview someone that may not win and don’t want to tick them off (which is understandable)?

9. Dave Boling says:

BobbyK, Why don’t I answer that in depth with a post this afternoon after I finish the Deuce Lutui column for the paper? I think it’s definitely worth a good look at a time when we shouldn’t have much actual news.

10. RDPoulsbo says:

I’m sure Clemons is looking for a contract that assures him at least 3 years in the league. It makes sense considering he has low mileage and isn’t showing any signs of decline so there’s likely a market for him in FA. Whether Seattle wants to give him that kind of contract is another story. If they tacked on another year at around $6 mil with the added $4 mil for this year a signing bonus so there’s a financial disincentive to cut him early, you’re probably close to what he wants. Then again, you start looking at other guys like Kam and Earl with contracts coming up that need to be signed. That’s where Schneider’s “best for the team” come from. So it sounds like there isn’t going to be too much to offer in terms of years coming.

11. Understandable. I’d like to know what you guys think (since you’re at the practices) even knowing than any of us has a right (including you guys) to change our/your minds (for me, w/Flynn/Wilson) at any point in the first few preseason games.

And, really, it’s not like Hasselbeck throwing to Alex Bannister in the Packer play-off game some years back, where the WR ran the wrong route and the QB got blamed… I understand that Wilson could throw a ‘perfect’ pass that got picked b/c Durham or Lockette didn’t run the correct route… and idiots like ‘us’ wouldn’t know better… It’s just a case where some of us want to know who you guys think is in the lead (if you were the coach)…

12. raymaines says:

I’ve kind of changed my mind about the Franchise Tag on CC. The would be at least 14.5 M for two years and that’s more than Red Bryant is getting. Can’t have that. CC plays hard, and doesn’t have too much mileage so a two year extension for a reasonable price seems better.

13. Southendzone says:

Not sure if this has been discussed yet. This is a snippet from a USA today article discussing evidence the NFL presented in the NO Bounty-gate scandal

link

“– On one presentation (Jan. 7, 2011, before an NFC playoff game at Seattle), a bullet point implores players to “collect bounty,” while another says “eliminate #17 and #24.” One slide also shows rolled up currency.”

Hey Saints, how did targeting Marshawn work out for you that day? You made one of the best moments in QWEST history and turned Marshawn into a Seahawks hero. Good job.

14. BobbyK–Lord Knows, Im a huge Hasselbeck fan. But that pick 6 was about as much Bannisters fault as Reggie Wayne or whoever it was at WR for Mannings Super Bowl-losing pick against NO.

That play resulted because 1) It was a stupid, conservative playcall made waaay too many times that season in similar situations–the DB was expecting it 2) The DB jumped the route perfectly 3) It was an utterly stupid decision to throw the ball–dude wasnt open 4) It was a poor throw.

Same with the GB play. Harris the DB had been giving up the out-route all day long, baiting Seattle and Hass. I watched him closely, and I could tell by his body language that he was restraining himself from jumping the out, since he would only have been able to tip the ball away; Like Patrick Kerney setting up a lineman all day long, saving his best move for a crucial moment late in the game, Harris was waiting for a moment late in the game to jump the route for a pick.

I even told my family what was happening, and they thought I was nuts. They really thought I was off the deep end when I turned the TV off with Hass’ arm cocked on that play…I told them “Because Hass is gonna throw that damned out-route again, Harris is gonna jump it and run it back for a TD: game over.” They didnt believe me, and turned the TV back on just in time to see Harris ghosting across the End Zone line….

Alex Bannister is not to blame for that play. It was gonna be a pick six the moment Hass let it fly.

15. I dont mean to be a jerk, but I saw that play coming since the second quarter and to this day, its the play that drives me the most crazy. Even worse than the uncalled defensive PI moments before D_Jacks “pushoff” of the Stealers DB on his called-back TD in Stupor Bowl 40.

16. bbnate420 says:

raymaines, I believe that franchising a DE this year would’ve cost around 10.5 mil. It could be significantly more next year. I could be mistaken but, I believe that 2013 is the first year where teams have to spend 90+ % of their cap space, not sure exactly what the number is, and that the cap is supposed to take a pretty significant increase. I’m trying to remember from last offseason so I may be incorrect.

17. bbnate420 says:

Actually, teams have to spend a minimum of 89 % of the cap during the four year period from 2013-2016 so, teams have to make sure they are spending at a certain level starting in 2013.

18. bbnate420 says:

And it looks like I was probably wrong about the salary cap. The salary cap was thought to make a significant jump in 2014 with the influx of revenue from the new TV deals but, it looks like there is a fair amount of disagreement out there about this. One article said that Daniel Kaplan reported that the NFL told teams that the cap would be 121 in 2013, 122 in 2014, 125 in 2015, and 130 in 2016. Another article concluded that the cap would probably only increase 5-6 mil a year starting in 2014, which is better than what the NFL is projecting but not the increase the NFLPA is expecting. Many thought that the cap would jump to 140 in 2014. John Clayton reports an even more bleak cap situation for the players.

This all makes me think even more strongly than I did that the players really lost in this deal and that they should’ve stayed strong and held out the entire year if need be.