Flynn shows accuracy, touch working with first unit

Post by Eric Williams on June 13, 2012 at 7:14 pm with 43 Comments »
June 13, 2012 7:49 pm
Seattle Seahawks' Matt Flynn during NFL football practice Tuesday, June 12, 2012, in Renton, Wash. (AP Photo/Elaine Thompson)

A day after Tarvaris Jackson showed off his fastball with the first unit, Matt Flynn put on a clinic on how to throw guys open with impressive anticipation.

Flynn took the majority of the first unit snaps on Wednesday. And the LSU product did a nice job of working the middle of the field and taking what the defense gave him.

Tights ends Kellen Winslow, Zach Miller, Cameron Morrah and other inside receivers benefited from Flynn’s ability to drop the ball over the second level of the defense and in front of the safeties.

Flynn also connected with Doug Baldwin on a deep pass during team drills.

And he also found out what happens when you test Earl Thomas – interceptions. Flynn tried to hit Deon Butler down the middle of the field on a deep post route, but cornerback Richard Sherman had baited him into the throw, and Thomas used his trademark speed to get under it and pick the ball off.

“I got first-hand experience to see how fast Earl was today,” Flynn said. “I get a two-minute situation and I’ve got Deon streaking down and I throw it and I’m like, ‘That might be a touchdown.’ Then all of a sudden, I see this flash come across. I don’t think I’ve had a DB back there – a safety especially – with that kind of speed. He can cover sideline to sideline.”

Overall, just as Jackson did the day before, Flynn looked sharp working with the first unit.

In a three-way battle with Russell Wilson and Jackson for the starting quarterback job, Flynn talked about not pressing – feeling like you have to throw a 60-yard touchdown on every play.

“One trap is you go out there and you see someone complete a deep pass and you go, ‘Alright, next play I’ve got to throw deep,’” he said. “If you make a great pass, you’ve got to come back, if it’s not open, take the check down and keep rolling.”

Some tidbits

* One of the things that has made it easier for the quarterbacks to execute is that, according to offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell, the Seahawks completed all of their installations during OTAs. So the offense is more focused on executing the playbook in certain situations like 2-minute, red zone and goal line. Seattle also had officials out on the field today.

* Receiver Charly Martin showed some flashes today, including going up high to make a catch over safety Winston Guy and cornerback Ron Parker during a red zone period for a touchdown.

* Russell Wilson made a pretty pass to Deon Butler on an out route during 7-on-7. Wilson looked more comfortable running the offense today.

* No Chris Clemons for a second day. Others who were on hand but did not practice fully include Mike Williams, Jermaine Kearse, Sidney Rice, Golden Tate, Walter Thurmond, Chris Maragos, Barrett Ruud, Malcolm Smith, Byron Maxwell, James Carpenter and Monte Taylor.

* Sacramento Kings power forward DeMarcus Cousins was at practice this afternoon.

Notes from practice
  1. rramstad says:

Rusell = Russell, correct?

2. This one is going until the second preseason game.

Thanks for the updates, Eric. Sounds like Flynn has a good rapport with his receivers, so far. Between he and Jackson yesterday, who impressed you more? And in what ways?

4. Good to hear about Flynn. I’m not surprised, but it’s definitely comforting nonetheless.

“Anticipation” is such a huge/important word/concept. Those windows don’t stay open very long in the NFL and you simply can’t wait all the time for your guy to be wide open before you throw.

I’m excited to hear how Wilson does with most of the reps tomorrow. He’s like my ace in the hole; the guy who will still give me hope if Flynn doesn’t work out (which I think he will). I can’t handle another year of what we had last year (T-Jack and Weirdbeard: i.e. someone who gave me no hope).

5. boucherm says:

These types of posts are great.

6. LouieLouie says:

The QB competition this preseason is better than I’ve seen in many a year being a Hawk fan. It really seems like there are a couple of guys who can play the game. The last time there was a competition that even came close was when Hassellbeck was fighting for his job.

That one didn’t turn out too bad. Hass was a solid, but not a great, QB. I hope that either Flynn or Wilson turn out to be at least as good as Hassellbeck was.

7. Hass was more than solid. He was a Top Five QB in the league for a three-year period and Top Ten for at least five years. I’d say he was very good. Not HOF-worthy, of course, but the best QB in Seahawks history. If Flynn or Wilson can be as good as him, I’d be pretty happy with that. If one of them turns into an elite QB like Brady or Manning or Brees, I’d be ecstatic.

Loved this report. I’m hoping Flynn can be THE GUY.

8. bbnate420 says:

I think Flynn separates himself when the pressure of games begins. TJack is more impressive physically and should look better when no one is hitting him. Flynn hopefully can be at around an 80-85 QB rating for the first half of the year and then pick it up a little in the second half to make a playoff push.

Cousins in town to check out his new city? PF for the New Sonics sounds nice!

9. bbnate420 says:

I would definitely be happy with Flynn being as good as Hasselbeck in his prime but, IMO Matt was never a top 5 QB! You could maybe argue in 2005. Matt was at the lower end of the top 10 and, I don’t think we need any better than that to win a SB with the way our running game and defense appear to be shaping up.

The better QB has only won the super bowl about half the time the last 10 years or so.

2001-I don’t think anyone would argue Brady was better than Warner back then.

2002-Gannon was definitely better than Brad Johnson.

2003/2004-Brady is better and wins.

2005-Most people would say Hasselbeck was better than Raperburger in 2005.

2006-Manning slightly better than Grossman for the win. ; )

2007-Brady loses to Manning

2008-This is up for debate but, I would say that Warner was better than Raper in 2008.

2009-Toss up.

2010-Rodgers better and wins.

2011-Some might argue but, Brady was clearly better in the reg season.

10. JMSeaTown says:

“Sacramento Kings power forward DeMarcus Cousins was at practice this afternoon”

Somethin about that last sentence woke me up… Why’s he up here? Other than the NW being his future home & the Hawks being an exciting team to watch…

11. boucherm says:

If any of the three QBs is as good as Hass was, I’ll be super excited. I agree Matt was top 5 for a spell and stayed top 10 awhile. For a couple years he was the best NFC QB, ahead of McNabb.

12. Hammajamma says:

No surprise to hear him working the middle. His game film highlights a lot intermediate crossing routes for big gains. He seems like that area of the field.

13. Hammajamma says:

Seems “to” like that area…

14. JazBadAzz says:

If you got 2 QB’s then you have none! So what if you have 3 you sh!t out of luck?
    And if Flynn is neck and neck with T.Jack then he is not nearly as good as I hoped!
    And Matt was top 15 a couple of years…period! (no maxi)

15. bbnate420 says:

Jaz, nobody here was arguing whether or not Matt H. was a top 15 QB! Plus, we haven’t even seen RW or Flynn in pads yet so, keep your maxi pad on. ; )

Also, correct me if I’m wrong but, I think most teams have at least 3 quarterbacks.

16. Sonicsgate will be on CNBC friday 6pm.

17. Whenever anybody tries to rate Matty in top 5/10 people always come out tearing him down. Let’s just let that aspect of it go and realize what the point was. We want Flynn to be as good as (or better than) #8.

18. JazBadAzz says:

Mocarob- I too would be happy with that! *crosses fingers

19. bbnate420 says:

I don’t think anyone here tore Matty down. I just said I don’t think he was ever a top 5 QB. You could argue he was or close in 2005/2007.

JazJazJazJaz JazzyJaz, no need to get your panties in a bunch bro! This is a blog/forum! People respond to what other people write. If you don’t like it well then feel free to GO AWAY!

20. JazBadAzz says:

Grow up, mind your business!

21. WiscCory says:

QB Situation

I see it like this, regardless of this week. Jackson will likely be taking first team reps at the start of training camp, along with preseason game 1. Flynn gets preseason week 2 reps and start, and Wilson week 3. It’ll be preseason week 4 before the actual starter is named.

I’m pulling for Flynn – hoping the thought of his 2 starts are a sign of things to come. Also, being a leader at LSU in winning the national championship is another hope of Flynn being a leader. Also the though of having Jackson as our starter is concerning with his inability to come from behind.

Banks

I saw it summed up well in the last post, Best case is practice squad. If not Seattle, another team will take him. Most of us are pulling for him.

O Line

Might not matter who starts. There is pretty good versatility due to the health questions. More than likely, the best line of the season won’t be the week 1 starters. Fingers are crossed for Unger to remain healthy, and becomes the next Tobeck.

TE

Winslow and Miller sounds like a great combination. Holy crap.

WR

Health is the biggest influence right now. The hawks needed some vet help to work with these young QBs and Antonio Bryant is the answer. After working with him, Mike Williams will seem like a creampuff to manage.

Given the health history, and up/down careers of some of the Hawk receivers, there will definitely be some surprises come opening day.

Random thoughts

I just want to see Rice, Winslow, and Lynch starting together in week 1. Make it not matter who the QB is…

I also want to see Ruud starting in week 1. I worry about the LBs.

Let’s hope Flynn’s effectiveness in the middle of the field today wasn’t a sign of poor LB play. Seems 50/50 at this point as to whether Jackson or Flynn will start the season. Okay, 45/45/10.

It’s intereting that a guy like Antonio Bryant is a better option than TO.

The NFL network seems to be going after alot of female reporters lately. Also, Heath Evans is quite animated. Maybe he should become a professional wrestler.

I’d sure love to see another Michael Robinson report on youtube.

Clemons being a starter in week 1 sounds more appealing than Irvin. That’s my thought, anyway.

When the hell is my new personalized Seahawks jersey going to come from the NFL.com proshop?? I’m growing impatient.

22. wabubba67 says:

Jaz–You are a true BAD ass, man. I might have to go into witness protection after posting this.

23. Hammajamma says:

Check Sando’s post on Harbaugh. Wow.

24. JazBadAzz says:

Wabubba67- its all good, cheers!

25. I can’t imagine Flynn not starting barring injury.

Ye, I am on the Flynn bandwagon, & if TJ is the starter I will be SO off the PC bandwagon.

26. I was/am a Hasselbeck fan. Would have proffered him staying over TJ, though the CW at that time that the O line was so bad another injury would have been all but guaranteed had some truth.

27. We’re all on the same side. Be the better person and let it go.

28. PostalBob says:

All right kids, to your rooms until you can play nice;-)

Over the years, I don’t think anything has devolved this blog into petty name calling, more often than debating the merits of Hasselbeck. And it’s still happening… goodness.

30. RDPoulsbo says:

If the QBs are faltering when there’s no contact, then it should throw up red flags everywhere. Right now, all they can really do is focus on getting plays right. There isn’t anything allowed that will let them to separate from the rest.

The tidbit that made me laugh the most and most illustrates the point was this:

Ok, so no pad and contact isn’t allowed, but he also happened to do it against the safety who happened to be wearing a red jersey. I’m pretty sure he’d be on the injured list had it been Kam or Thomas was covering him.

RD – That comment stood out to me as well, and I agree: it illustrates exactly how easy it is to read too much into play, right now.

32. jchawks08 says:

LOL, love the comment Duke. And the 08 in my username is in reference to Hasselback, of course. That being said, there’s no way that Hassel was ever a top 5 QB in any given year. Top 10 sure, maybe a couple times. Undoubtedly the best QB in Hawks history, stats wise. LOL Zorn and Krieg had solid years. Meh, whatever.
    Love the report on Flynn. Sounds like he practiced like all the highlights we’ve seen. Very accurate throwing short to intermediate, sprinkled in with a random deep throw. Huh. Sounding like Hass much? Fine by me.

33. RDPoulsbo says:

I think Matt was a top 5 in ’05. People can point to a great running game, but people also forget that the top 2 WRs were injured for huge stretches of the regular season. If I remember correctly, the Dallas game in particular had the 1, 2, 3 and 5 WRs inactive. There were some real ugly wins that year, including the Dallas game, but it’s easy to forget he had little to work with for almost half the games that year.

34. mojjonation says:

None of this matters until the defense can actually start making footstep sounds behind a QB. When the pads are on, AND you can hit, TJack will be back in his old ways of holding on to the ball long enough to order a pizza. Any fat fingered blogger could look good in 7 on 7 with little to no contact.

35. seahawk44 says:

Doesn’t Matt Hasselbeck going to the ProBowl in 2003, 2005 & 2007 make him at least a top 6 QB in those seasons?

36. Brentlyr says:

I love the debate still going on about Hass. Sure it would have been great to have a Manning, Brees or Brady. We didn’t. But, clearly(and I mean CRYSTAL)he is/was the best QB in team history. Whether he was top 5, 10 or 15 doesn’t really matter. You could do far worse, and we have.

All the speculators in the QB race better PRAY that any of these guys are able to be as good as #8. If they are, it should make things real nice in Hawkville. Looks like they’ll have better tools for longer than Matt did.

37. I just got done watching an NFL Live a couple days old, and Herm Edwards said that the reason the Dolphins passed on Matt Flynn was so they could get Tannehill. Edwards’ memory is getting pretty sad with the old age huh?

38. So is RW getting the reps today?

39. richardfg7 says:

I don’t care how good TJ looks in practice. If Pete Carroll starts him, I say we get out the tar and feathers. I love T-Jack I really do. But, no. Just no. If it’s late in the game and they need to drive for a score I want to think we have a chance. Jackson doesn’t do it. If he did why would they spend the money on Flynn. Let’s be real on this.

40. just saying, there could be a difference between the injured TJ of last season and a healthy TJ going into this season.
    not a fan of his failures, like every other hawk fan, but I will at least give him the benefit of doubt until he is beaten out for starter position. it very well could be that TJ is every bit of a bust as Seahawk QB, we’ll see come preseason which is best to start this coming season. show me!

41. raymaines says:

r1co: Why would there be a difference in T-Jack now? What would lead you to think the light would come on in the summer of 2012?

He’s started something like 50 games and he’s always been what he is; average. He’s been healthy in the past, has had good lines, good receivers, good running backs, and good defenses. We can debate how good he really is, some of us have differing opinions, but he isn’t going to break out this season. He’s max’ed out at his current level.

42. If anyone thinks hass wasn’t a top 5 qb in 05 or 07 your a fool! I know 05 was superbowl year but 07 especially he carried our team! We had no run game every1 knew we were passing and he still killed it that year! Had we beat the bears we prob wud be back in the superbowl cause I do think we wud have won nfc championship that year after that game! And he alone carried us all year long! Anyways enough old stuff! Flynn should be our guy this year! Tjax is prob better athletically but not mentally! Shit I bet tjax is better athletically then brady! But brady has brains and command! We need that more then just a guy that can zip it in or throw 60 yards! How many 60 yard completions are there in the air? Pretty damn rare! Give me the guy that keeps the ball moving and takes what the defense gives him! Flynn just has more promise in that area then tjax! Oh and someone that will look up when he is scrambling for godsakes! if I have 2 watch bmw wide open calling for the ball but tjax throws it outta bounds or tucks it and runs 1 more time I’m going to go krazy!!