Morning links: Can Winslow ignite Hawks’ offense?

Post by Eric Williams on May 25, 2012 at 7:45 am with 47 Comments »
May 25, 2012 7:45 am
Seattle Seahawks' Kellen Winslow runs during an NFL football organized team activity on Thursday, May 24, 2012, in Renton, Wash. (AP Photo/Ted S. Warren)

Here’s my story from Thursday’s workout, focusing on new tight end Kellen Winslow.

The Seahawks would like to create a more dynamic passing attack to keep defenses honest in defending Marshawn Lynch and Seattle’s powerful run game.

Seattle averaged just 20.1 points of game last season, 23rd overall in the league. If they could raise that number to the 24 to 25 points a contest with the way the defense plays, the Seahawks could get to the nine or 10-win mark.

Seattle ran two tight end sets nearly 40 percent of the time last year, so Winslow will get his opportunities if he can stay healthy.

“He’s a wide receiver in a tight end’s body,” Seattle coach Pete Carroll said. “He’s got all of that ability and route-running like I mentioned, but more than that, he makes plays. As well as – the thing that I love about the guy the most – is that he’s a great competitor. He just loves to play the game, and we can’t have enough of that around here.”

Steve Kelly of the Seattle Times writes that the move to bring Winslow in is a sign that the Seahawks’ roster is maturing to the point that they can add players with specific skill sets to help the team.

Doug Farrar of Yahoo Sports offers this report on Winslow taking his considerable skills to Seattle.

Percy Allen of the Seattle Times writes that he thought Matt Flynn had a good day in the Seahawks’ three-way battle for the starting quarterback job. I thought Flynn was just okay, but it’s always good to have a new set of eyes out there watching the action.

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com has more on the quarterback competition on his daily practice report.

Grant Cohn of the Santa Rosa Press Democrat takes a look at how the Seahawks match up against San Francisco heading into the 2012 season. He predicts the two teams will split, with both Seattle and San Francisco winning at home.

Joe Fortenbaugh of the National Football Post writes that Vegas placed the over/under on the Seahawks winning seven games in 2012.

ESPN’s Herm Edwards, Stephen A. Smith and Skip Bayless discuss whether or not San Francisco is the favorite to represent the NFC in the Super Bowl. Bayless doesn’t think San Francisco will win the NFC West, picking Seattle to leap the Niners and win the division.

Also, check out the latest Real Robinson Report in the video below.

Morning links

To answer the question: no. Winslow may be an important contributor (presuming he remains healthy *and* is “all in”. Neither of these are givens), but he alone will not ignite this offense. This inexperienced offense is still under development and is further away that simply one player to get where they are looking to go. But, they are on the right track.

BTW, You’d have to pay me far more than I’m worth to watch that trifecta of morons: Edwards, Smith, Bayless.

2. Lol! Yes, offseason football tv pundits can get pretty tedious, eh Dukeshire? It would be nice if they gave us more than sound bites on the same teams week after week. But heck, I’d do that instead of a real job.

As for Winslow, of course he doesn’t transform the offense, but if this offense is firing on all cylinders (think of the early December wins last year over the Eagles, Rams, and Bears) then Winslow can step in and add a wrinkle to the playbook that makes the Seahawks very hard to defend. If he were on the field for our final two games last year (49ers and Cardinals), we would have won those games and gone to the playoffs.

So when K2 catches that first 4th quarter TD, the tv talking heads will credit him for ‘igniting the offense’, even though its not all him.

3. bird_spit says:

I almost spit my coffee on my laptop LOL watching the Real Rob Report..that was awesome.

4. RDPoulsbo says:

Winslow is obviously not a long term solution, but he’ll be a good contributor this year. I wouldn’t expect 70+ catches, but about 30 seems reasonable to me considering the offense will run more and have other options like Baldwin to target. It’s a bold move to take on the knee risk, but I’m good with it.

Even though I hate the NBA, I loved how Sherman schooled BMW on being a bandwagoner. I hear that Sherman is a big talker on the field even though he denies it and says it’s always the other guy starting it. I have no doubts that he is indeed instigating most of it. I have no problem with that considering he backs it up.

Yeah, I won’t click on that Bayless video. The idea of him waxing on about the Seahawks is nauseating enough that I don’t need to experience it.

5. Cornutt says:

I get the bit about being annoyed with guys like Bayles. But really, all he said was that he’s not sure that SanFran wins the division–while the other two waxed on about their boners for the 9’rs. I thought it rather nice that national media had anything nice to say about any Seattle franchise.

But in looking at their argument…who would you feel more comfortable as your starting QB? Alex Smith or Flynn? And does it come down to those 2 players as catalysts for who wins the the nfcw?

6. Cornutt says:

That’s sort of a rhetorical question. I just think it’s interesting to think about…

For me, it has nothing to do with the content of that particular piece (whatever it might be). Those three, cumulatively, have said so many hyperbolic and inflammatory things, with near zero substance to support it, I have no use for any of them, regardless what they say. I practically given up on ESPN altogether (games aside) at this point. It’s 90% trash, to me.

8. that Real Rob report is awesome – but how is BMW bringing the hated Thunder shorts into a SEATTLE sports locker room? Where’s gary payton when we need him?

Grant Cohn also says this about the Seahawks-

“Bold prediction: Seattle won’t suck on the road this year. They’ll be pretty good, actually.”

And this response from a 49er blogger-

I agree Grant.

Seattle will be good on the road this year because they will actually have a good team.

The point I was trying to make was that Seattle would not have anywhere near the success they have had if not for the fact that they play in that stadium.

For the longest time, I thought the only stadium which truly has home field advantage was Arrowhead where the Chiefs play. But after watching Seattle the past decade or so, it is clear that Seattle in Seattle is the last game any team wants to see on their schedule. If Seattle sucks, you are lucky to get out of there with a win. If Seattle is good, you’d best save yourself the trouble of actually having to play them and just mark it as a Loss.

I thought there were some good opinions from 49er fans, ( concerning the improvement of the Seahawks ), on this thread.

10. Cornutt says:

Yeah, I hear you Duke. It’s funny, I remember watching ESPN ALL the time. And now it makes my want to shove a firey skewer in my ear drums. Thank goodness there’s better options. For me, I still find myself curious as to what others think about the ‘Hawks–even media to whom I don’t care for.

Pdway. I thought the same thing about the OKC uni. EFf that BMW! I did like that he was using an LA jersey for a rug though. LMAO!

Cornutt – Lol

Georgia – Don’t discount Denver. The elevation and the crowd (Even in the new stadium) gives them a terrific advantage.

True Dukeshire- With the elevation, crowd, and now Manning mania, Denver will be a tough place to get a win! Glad were not playing there every year!

14. Hammajamma says:

Interesting take on the ESPN talking heads. I tend to view the network as trying to bring a certain amount of verve to a generally uninformed east coast perspective. Herm is only surpassed by Kiper in unwatchability. Schefter I find reasonable, but the rest just fill abundant air time with too much noxious spew. Clayton, for that matter, is a constant flop when he tries to be cute. He needs a vacation as well.

15. SaigonSun says:

According to Seattle Guardian :
    Dr. Frank Enstain has just finished his latest creation . It is a QB named Matt Jaxsonwils . NFLs’ HOF institution in Canton, OH has informed us of the most prominant space reserved for Matt Jaxsonwils!
    Stay tuned for more news as they happen.

16. SeahawkFan12 says:

“Mr. Jaxonwils was created when the good doctor attached the head of MR Flynn and the legs of Mr. Wilson to the torso of Mr. T. Jackson; hence the perfect quarterback.”

You cannot take parts from a Toyota, Hundai and a Kia and build a Ferrari.

Neither of these three are the perfect QB (even in parts). But they just might have what it takes to go deep in the playoffs. That, of course, is being quite optimistic…and I p[refer the glass-half-full approach!

17. I value the head & heart of a player more than the physical attributes. It would be great if Flynn is the type of QB that does a terrific job recognizing defenses and can check off well and find the secondary receivers.

Looking forward to the so-called QB competition.

18. I want to buy Skip Bayless a beer for being the only one to remember/recognize us and what we’re building.

… and I want to take that beer bottle and smash it over his head for his ESPN Page 2 “Seahawks: Not in my Super Bowl” rant from ’05.

20. bird_spit says:

SeahawksFan12 – luckily we don’t need/want a Ferrari. We need a truck to run the baja of nfl seasons. The QB needs to manage the game, and be capable of running a 2 min offense effectively. TJ had enough time in this offense to prove/disprove if he is that guy. He wasnt capable of managing the game, except for the ability to run a two min offense.

21. bird_spit says:

should have said, “He was capable of managing the game, except for the ability to run a two min offense”

22. IBGoofy says:

bird…. right on, but if Flynn shows ‘the touch’ he showed in the early videos we saw, I’m thinking him and K2 will definatly ignite the offense… If they show an early ability to connect (pun intended), add our running game and Baldwin… I’m really excited about what we we will see! Everything points to a more experienced offensive line… K2 can catch a football! Yes, he has my vote for being a game changer….

23. Cornutt says:

“and I want to take that beer bottle and smash it over his head for his ESPN Page 2 “Seahawks: Not in my Super Bowl” rant from ’05.”

Bahahaha. that really made me lol.

24. Palerydr says:

It’s nice to see the guys be themselves on the Rob report some really funny stuff for sure. Winslow is a decent addition he can make plays on 3rd down to help keep the chains moving. For this year this team is going to rely on the defense to win games. The defense is the unit that will carry us to the playoffs. I see enough depth that even when we have injuries,and we will, they will remain solid all year. I might actually draft the Hawks D early this year cuz I really believe they are gonna beat the snot outta other teams.

25. IBGoofy says:

Palerydr… and if the offense stays on the field longer, sustaining drives, that will help the defense even more…. rested and better field positions….

26. Palerydr says:

I don’t think the offense will hold long sustained drives. I see a formula where they occasionally put together first downs kick a lot of FG and score TD’s off turnovers at least that’s the way I see things.

27. rgbuckl says:

Duke,

I was deployed overseas then, so although they let us watch the Super Bowl, I was pretty out of touch with the world at the time. I was also surrounded by all the bandwagon Steeler fans that are in the military–pretty annoying on top of the officiating debacle.

I just get so happy when one of these jerks finally acknowledges us. Speaking of which, I watched a lot of Mike & Mike during the playoffs and Super Bowl this year as I was at a school in Pensacola and away from the family and Hawaii. The skinnier Mike (can’t remember his last name) said on numerous occasions that he felt the Seahawks were a legitimate QB away from being serious contenders. I loved it, agreed, and was so happy someone like that was talking about the Seahawks–especially with everything else going on at the time and our season was already over.

rgbuckl – I get that. No question that there’s a level of vindication that comes with national media figures throwing props the ‘Hawks way. It happens so infrequently. But after a lifetime of being thoroughly dismissed, I’m now (and have been probably since the mid ’90s when they really were one of the worst franchises in the league)an us against the world guy. Skip Bayless can do nothing that will ever have me forgive that column (not to mention he’s one of the biggest blow-hards in sports “journalism”).

rgbuckl – Also, where were you when you saw the game? I can’t imagine what that was like.

30. RDPoulsbo says:

It’s not just the whole Sea Frauds rant before the Superbowl, it was also the “you were robbed, but you still didn’t deserve to play in the Superbowl” article.

Oh please. As if Skippy’s opinions have ever had an ounce of weight behind them.

31. jboard1 says:

Duke, do you happen to have a link to the column that he wrote?

32. Skip Bayless is a douchenozzle, and will never be forgiven for that article. End of story.

33. http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=bayless/060120

There’s the link. As a Seahawks fan, if you don’t hate him after reading it, you’re not a Seahawks fan.

34. JazBadAzz says:

That locker room looks awesome! Lovingmy team right now and Earl is a straight up BOSS for what he said! Bobby Wagner shoulders look like boulders and he haven’t had real training yet! This defense is looking right, can’t say I want any other guys at any of our positions at the moment! Call me King Satisfied Defensively!

pjah – Thanks for passing along.

36. jboard1 says:

I have never liked Baylis, but my god I F*cking really hate him now! I am not even half way thru the article and i want to….ok i wont give threats on here. But damn….SMH

37. jboard1 says:

And I love how it’s HIS superbowl….good lord

38. Macabrevity says:

The dissing from all media leading up to the SB really made the loss hurt that much worse. I so wanted us to shut up all the idjits out there. Bayless was just one of many saying the Hawks didn’t deserve to be there. In hindsight I hope they all agree that even with Hass having an off game, Cowher and co. still needed some of the most one-sided officiating in the history of the Lombardi trophy to pull off that heist.

39. rgbuckl says:

Duke,

I’m posting this in the middle of the night after moving out of our house en route Tampa.

I can’t say much about where I was then, but I can say it was hot & I was surrounded by people who want all Americans dead–especially us jolly, beer drinking (American) football fans. The military is usually good about getting the Super Bowl piped in on the Armed Forces Network via satellite.

40. rgbuckl says:

P.S. Yeah you’re right, that is a douchebag! What a hater–& all because we beat his weak ass team.

There really wasn’t any great teams in 2005, however Seattle was the best of the bunch, imo!

I’m sure Skip Baseless, ( being from oklahoma City ), was just as happy to see the Sonics get stolen as he was when the Seahawks super bowl was stolen!

42. The one thing Flynn proved in his two starts with GB is that if you put some talent around him, he’s more than capable of winning games. He definitely put up better numbers than Alex Smith and it’s not like Smith doesn’t have talent to work with in SF.

These aren’t the old Hawks with the perception of being soft. Carroll is building a physical team on both sides of the ball. I can’t wait for the season to start.

43. The “O” line and “Beast Mode” Lynch will ignite this team.
    I thought it encouraging that the “O” line reserves played reasonably well for three injured starters late last season and should provide good compitition for spots that could be open due to certain guys possibly not being able to be ready for season from last seasons injuries. Winslow should be a key factor to help team in drives for 1st downs and TD’s as he adds another weapon that opposing “D”‘s can’t ignore, maybe not create double teams but his abilities warrent attention and that helps open things up for others.
    It all starts w/ the “O” line and Marshawn Lynch and help from his new running mate Turbin. TE in motion can help block for running game and then play actions will be more dangerous than we’ve seen. Conjecture at this point, can’t wait to see it all come together.

44. nighthawk2 says:

Everyone knows Skip Clueless is a douche. And we all know that the moronic First Take crap with Stephen A. Smith, another douche, is scripted. What else is new?

Kellen Winslow. Really? That’s the best we could do? The “I’m a soldier”, “This is war” and “Daddy don’t want me to play for a white college coach” guy is now a Seahawk. But they can’t find or don’t want to find a spot for Justin Forsett. Amazing.

45. supersuckysonics says:

7 million salary for sweet Pete. Its great to spend other peoples money. “i have been doing that for many years”. Listen Pete you started your coaching career here as db coach under Lou Holtz at Arkansas. The hawks are stacked at wide out so why reach for a fuck up like winslow.

46. bbnate420 says:

supersuckysonics, spend less time commenting here and more time getting your meds adjusted please!

nighthawk2, take your son nighthawk3 and just throw your keyboards out the window already. You remind me of my deceased grandfather. He consistently watched the Hawks and M’s but never had a good thing to say about them and was constantly complaining. It’s truly a miserable way to live IMO. Why go through life always looking for the negative and NEVER enjoying anything. They have room for WINSLOW because he will ACTUALLY CONTRIBUTE ON THE FIELD unlike Forsett. If you want a team that keeps players for reasons other than that then go watch the MARINERS!!!!!! That’s why they have been PATHETIC FOR NEAR A DECADE!!!

47. PixelDummy says: