Morning links: Lisowski’s chance

Post by Eric Williams on May 17, 2012 at 8:02 am with 15 Comments »
May 17, 2012 8:02 am

In my story today, University of Montana defensive back Donny Lisowski wowed Seattle head coach Pete Carroll during the team’s rookie minicamp last week, earning a three-year contract and a spot on the team’s 90-man roster.

Now, Lisowski’s looking to do enough to make it to training camp, with the hop of landing on the team’s final roster for the regular season.

Also, we’ll get a chance to watch one of the final workouts of Phase II for the Seahawks this morning, as they transition into the OTAs’ portion of the offseason next week.

So I’ll have a report from practice this afternoon

Here’s what Carroll had to say about Lisowski:

“He was all over the place out here. He ran extremely fast when he showed up for a workout day, and then he went out here and made a bunch of plays. So I was really fired up about him. I think he’ll surprise you. I’m anxious to see what he can do on special teams and all kinds of stuff.”

Brady Henderson of ESPN 710 Seattle offers some thoughts from Matt Flynn’s interview with Brock Huard and Mike Salk, which includes the curious fact that Marshawn Lynch calls Flynn “Antonio. You can also listen to the conversation here.

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com profiles Seattle sixth-round pick, cornerback Jeremy Lane.

Rob Rang of NFLDraftScout.com writes that upon further inspection Bruce Irvin and Russell Wilson make more sense as Seattle draft selections in his “Finding the Fits” series.

Russell Wilson talks with Jon Arias of The Big 1070 in Madison, Wisconsin about the quarterback competition in Seattle in this link to Sports Radio interviews.

Earl Thomas comes in at No. 66 on the NFL Network’s Top 100 players of 2012 in this video link. Marshawn Lynch was voted No. 94. Last year Seattle did not have a player make the Top 100.

Fullback Michael Robinson travels to the small, rural town of Richfiield, Idaho as part of the league’s Play 60 program to fight child obesity.

Matt Bowen of the National Football Post breaks down why the tight end can be so tough to defend on a seam route.

Morning links

Seattle’s starting corners are “set”, but behind them, there is a fairly deep pool to fill out the corp, but not so deep or noteworthy that Lisowski won’t have a real chance. Especially with Thurmond’s health looking like a serious issue (chronic). Lisowski needs to not only continue to impress in the secondary, but has to make special teams plays, as Carroll notes. That’s his real ticket to the 53 man roster.

The only thing sillier than that Top 100 list (John Kuhn ahead of Marshawn Lynch…?) is the fact they have a Top 100 Reaction Show. Does the NFL Network really have that hard of a time finding compelling programing to air? I’ve got loads of ideas for them, that don’t involve meaningless lists. (I know, I know; I’m no fun…)

2. chuck_easton says:

Duke,

I’m all for your ideas for NFLN programming just so long as they don’t involve having to listen to:

Jamie Dukes
    Warren Sapp
    Marshall Faulk

I could go on…but you get the idea.

Dukes and Faulk (along with Theisman, Millen, Waddle, and Baldinger) would be broken off before I sat down. lol

4. HawkfaninMT says:

I just can’t get over that I did not know this Lisowski kid! Admittedly, I was drunk the night game he had his Pick 6 against North Iowa and had already departed for downtown. But still… If he is this good, why was he not the Number 2 corner? And I answer my own question by saying that maybe he is just that superb against slot WR. Being matched up against a team number 1 on the outside is a completely different ball game than covering the shifty slot wrs. It takes a different sort of player, and maybe Lisowski has that skill. The numer 2 CB behind Tru was a guy named Houston Roots who was good, not great. I don’t see him making an NFL roster, but that just strengthens the argument that Lisowski was inside because he is just that good at it.

Here’s to hoping!

5. “Does the NFL Network really have that hard of a time finding compelling programing to air?”

Yes, Duke, they do. This is the network that showed us the Elway car going from the airport to the Manning workout place in Raleigh, N.C.

They apparently aren’t getting good ratings from showing old highlights.

6. Soggybuc says:

I wouldn’t beat your self up too much HawkMT, history is riddled with “where the hell did this guy come from” stories in the NFL.
    How was it that Jerry Rice was not recruited by one of the “big schools” etc etc.
    Got to love Lynch not just as a player but as a personality as well. Antonio? great stuff.

7. Crusader1976 says:

HawkFaninMT,

Maybe you should be questioning the UM coaches decision not to play Donny, rather than questioning Lisowski’s talent. Probably not an accident that the new UM D-Coordinator recruited Roots and he got the lion’s share of playing time.

There are two reasons why people might not like a certain type of wine — either the taster doesn’t know a good wine from bad or the wine just needs more aging.

Perhaps, in Lisowski’s case, it was a little bit of both.

8. HawkfaninMT says:

@Crusader: I am sorry if my post came of as a hit on Lisowski… or on the coaches. I think (hope) it was more a matter of Lisowski being able to man the slot like a machine, and the coaches using him there.

9. RDPoulsbo says:

So what does Lynch call Eric? He’s certainly a strange dude, but it sounds like he can keep the locker room entertained.

Lisowski sounds like an interesting guy. He might be PS material this year might work his way into the back end of the depth charts. I think it’s another indication of how much resources they’ve put into the scouting department. A guy like him would easily be overlooked by most teams.

Yes, Lynch is so wonderfully eccentric. Got to love him.

11. bird_spit says:

I want Lynch to get us to the promised land so he makes the ring of honor…that way we can have his humor for years into the future. That dude just makes me laugh, and not believe my eyes about 4-5 times a game. He is right up there with my favorite hawk list of all time, and we have only seen him do his work for two years.

12. If Earl makes the list, I hope Kam will make it as well, in my opinion he actually played better than Early last year, pointless or not, I love it when Seattle gets some shine.

13. SandpointHawk says:

Well if Houston Roots doesn’t make it in the NFL maybe he should start a reggae band, he’s got a great name…

14. WiscCory says:

Lynch’s MNF game against the Eagles was my highlight of 2011, however his run aginst the Giants was kind of a turning point in his season.

Add the Browner Int TD return that game and we had a couple jump-up-from-the-seaters that day. Just a sign of how this team is adding big play talent. Now, the talk of having a speed pass rush just makes the 2012 season that much more appealing.

Pray for health, and who knows what this team is capable of. Koolaid anyone?

15. Macabrevity says:

I don’t have the money to waste, but I’m sure hoping fans pick up on this with custom #15 jerseys with the name “Antonio” on the back.