Morning links: Cable likes improved depth on O-line

Post by Eric Williams on May 13, 2012 at 7:30 am with 20 Comments »
May 13, 2012 7:32 am
Seattle Seahawks coach Tom Cable at a football training camp Monday, Aug. 1, 2011, in Renton, Wash. (AP Photo/Elaine Thompson)

Dave Boling of The News Tribune spent some time talking to Seattle Seahawks offensive line coach Tom Cable over the weekend, the results of which you can read about in Boling’s column this morning.

Cable said it’s night and day in terms of his unit’s overall depth, pointing to how guys like Breno Giacomini and Lemuel Jeanpierre gained confidence by filling in for starters John Moffitt and James Carpenter during the second half of the season.

Boling: Tackle James Carpenter, a first-round pick, and fellow rookie guard John Moffitt both went down with knee injuries in mid-November, and tackle Russell Okung, a first-round pick in 2010, was lost with a torn pectoral in early December.

But Cable said he saw enough in those guys before the injuries “… that all of a sudden you start saying, ‘Wow, that’s why we got them.’ ”

Breno Giacomini jumped in at right tackle, and Paul McQuistan and Lemuel Jeanpierre plugged in just about everywhere else as the running game continued to build to critical mass.

“There was a ton of pride in those guys being able to do (what they did),” Cable said of the fill-ins. “But I’d rather not go through that again.”

The benefit, though, is that “we know we have a group, top to bottom, where your eighth or ninth guy can go in and win for you,” Cable said. “So our depth got taken to a new level.”

Here’s my story from today, focusing on Utah State teammates Robert Turbin and Bobby Wagner.

Danny O’Neil of the Seattle Times takes a look at the one question dominating discussion of quarterback Russell Wilson – is he tall enough to be effective in the NFL.

Tim Booth of the Associated Press gives us more on veteran offensive tackle Alex Barron.

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com has a nice run down on what players have been working with the first-unit offense and defense during the rookie minicamp.

More Farnsworth: He talks to defensive coordinator Gus Bradley about the speed and length Bruce Irvin and Bobby Wagner add to the defense.

Tony Ventrella of Seahawks.com provides some highlights and player interviews in this video link.

Dan Pompei of the National Football Post writes that Cleveland passed on Matt Flynn in free agency because the Browns didn’t feel he was a better option than what they already had on the roster in Colt McCoy. Pompei also says there’s a chance that James Carpenter does not play for the Seahawks in 2012 because of a slow recovery from ACL knee surgery. I thought Carpenter has looked ahead of schedule in the limited amount of times I’ve seen him on the field.

Steve Kelly of the Seattle Times writes that Robert Turbin is inspired by memories of his late brother, Lonnie, who fell victim to drugs in the streets of Oakland, and was shot and killed in February.

Rob Rang of NFLDraftScout.com has Seattle selecting California receiver Keenan Allen at No. 12 in his first 2013 mock draft.

More Rang: He takes a look at the top prospects for 2013.

Morning links
  1. seahawk44 says:

Dan Pompeii reports that James Carpenter could miss the entire 2012 season. Where did he get that information?

Eric, what would it take for you to not post any 2013 mock drafts until, at least, the start on the college football season? Lol

That breakdown by Farnsworth is good. I like to see the “depth chart”, as it were, for the camp. Helps me anyway…

3. Palerydr says:

Yea all this fluff is great but I am looking forward to what happens when they start practicing against/with the veterans. Practicing against the big boys should give a better break down of their abilities.

Got to love 2013 mocks before the season has even started maybe they should just stick to players to watch lists instead.

I too would like to know where Pompeii got that from, and the “Carpenter had a hard time with he mental side” of the recovery. Someone inside VMAC or simply presumption?

5. montanamike2 says:

I agree with Duke, no more mock drafts for a while. Especially since we’ll be picking later in the draft and we won’t know what our needs are.

6. montanamike2 says:

By the sounds of it you wouldn’t think Carp could even get on the field?

7. TomlPDX says:

I’ll skip the 2013 mocks but Rang’s other article about prospects is a good way to do it. Start looking at the expected top performers so you can watch them during the upcoming season. I remember watching an FSU game early on last season and being very impressed with EJ Manuel.

8. piperfeltcher says:

Pompeii is usually pretty good at reporting the story and not a bunch of rumors so I would guess he got that from someone inside the Hawks organization. The way Carp struggled last year and with him having a really serious knee injury it might not be a bad thing to have him miss the year and just work with Cable on his technique and getting healthy as to having him rush back.

I will absolutely take player analysis and breakdowns. I favor those over mocks, regardless time of year.

10. IBGoofy says:

FINALLY! Something about the offense! And good news for sure! If Tom is feelin’ good about the O-line, then “I” sure am! The offense needs badly to stay on the field longer! Despite the loss of Carp, if our others heal ok, it sure sounds like we have a great chance…. Note: I’m not even bringing in the QB factor…. regardless how that goes, it will be a plus….

11. LouieLouie says:

Early in the off-season there was some speculation about Tom Cable going elsewhere. The Hawks are a great situation for him, and I hope he stays put for a long while. The progress he made with the O-Line and the running game was nothing short of excellent.

One thing that will keep him in Seattle is Super Bowl rings. I’m sure he would like a fist-full of them.

piperfeltcher- Agree! No need to hurry Carpenter back, imo. The line did just as good if not better without him last year. Hopefully Carpenter will work his tail off and eventually come back better than ever!

13. I don’t expect anything from Carp this year. When a man that big tears an ACL in mid-November, it’s unrealistic to expect him to be ready for the following season (at least to begin the year). I do hope he becomes a really good left guard though and takes the job from McQuistan in ’13.

Tom Cable will leave if he has a chance to become a head coach again. There aren’t many assistants who want to remain career assistants. Nevermind how much more head coaches make and it’s a no-brainer. I just hope people shy away from him due to some of his personal events in the past. There’s no doubt that he’s one heck of a football coach!

14. Big Red Bryant tore his ACL in week 8 of the 2010 season against Oakland (October 31st) and made it back to the starting line up on day one of the 2011 season. I don’t understand why Carpenter can’t be back earlier than later.

15. montanamike2 says:

I wouldn’t write him off at RT just yet, valid point Rodman but i don’t know if it did more damage than Bryant’s ACL.

16. rodman – You are wrong. Red Bryant did not tear his ACL (he did in college). He tore another ligament. I believe it was the MCL. Either way, the ligament he tore heals much faster than an ACL tear. Can anyone remember which ligament it was that Red hurt? I know for a fact it wasn’t the ACL.

17. Soggybuc says:

Honestly I see Carp as another Marcus Tubbs. But that’s ok because this FO has already started looking for his replacement.
    That’s what is different between this regime and the Ruskell/Holmgren era. they wasted 2 seasons on waiting for Marcus to get healthy. PC while hoping it happens has already started looking for more talent that can fill those shoes.

18. bbnate420 says:

Red tore his MCL, which typically players come back from much faster. And BobbyK, just to clarify, ligaments all heal at pretty much the same rate. The difference is that the MCL contributes much less to the stability of the knee joint than the ACL does. That’s why it takes longer for players to come back.

I don’t think that it’s unreasonable to expect that Carp could at least provide depth if not start by the week following our bye. The first game after the bye is Nov. 25th, a year and a day after his surgery! This is assuming no set backs. Also, this would be helped greatly if they move him to G, as I think most of us on here want them to do anyways. He won’t need nearly as much agility at G, something he lacked somewhat before and will be slower to return in his recovery.

19. Soggybuc–Carp hasnt even contributed as much as Bozworth, let alone Tubbs. Tubbs was an amazing player for two years (between nagging injuries), and our run D and interior pass rush was nonexistant without him. Carp on the other hand had maybe a couple decent games and was still not even mediocre when he got hurt.

I sure hope he can rehab and come back and become a fine RT or at the least a Pro Bowl LG.

20. “Carpenter is another Marcus Tubbs.” “Carpenter will be a Guard.” hmm…

Fun speculation, guys, but honestly I don’t buy all of it. To start with, Marcus Tubbs was a huge force on the D line, and his first knee injury was a very nasty one, and I don’t see any comparison to Carpenter. As for Carpenter projecting to OG? Cable drafted him to play OT and Schneider is paying him to play OT. He barely had the chance to learn the RT position last year, and once he does I don’t see how Giacomini will compete with him. Seems the speculation will continue though until he’s back on the field in Nov or Dec.

As for LG, I’m hoping that Lutui locks into one of the OG starting jobs and stays there for a few years.