Four new players in for tryout, including ex-UW TE Middleton

Post by Eric Williams on May 12, 2012 at 1:37 pm with 10 Comments »
May 12, 2012 1:37 pm

The Seattle Seahawks added four new players to this weekend’s tryout roster.

They include former University of Washington tight end Kavario Middleton, who transferred from the Huskies after going through some off-the-field issues and played his final two years at the University of Montana.

Justin Helwege, a 6-foot-6 receiver out of Central Washington University. University of Mississippi defensive tackle Justin Smith and University of Oregon defensive tackle Terrell Turner.

General Seahawks
  1. Im still perplexed that Seattle wasnt interested in Trumaine Johnson, Montana’s shutdown corner. He has the exact measurables Carrol loves in a CB–over 6′tall, 200lbs, 4.4-4.5 speed, press-corner…I knew the Rams would get him before we did, and thats what happened. Fisher knows UM puts out NFL-caliber players.

Its nice to see Seattle taking notice of UM and bringing in a few of their players, like Opperud and Middleton and the other corner i forget his name. Hope they stick on the PS.

2. TomlPDX says:

So we’re in tryout mode now, huh. All these guys look pretty pedestrian. I see they picked up another duck.. Of course, UO had to score all those points to win games for a reason…I guess when you’re looking for that diamond in the rough you have to look under every rock.

3. IBGoofy says:

Whew! This number of guys in a ‘rookie’ camp sure makes the odds pretty slim to make it through… I wonder if each of the sub coaches are specifically assigned certain players to watch and report on. I’m guessing there is an element of filming, but unless some unique situations come up, some may never have a chance to show off their talents… or stick out….

The other thing to keep in mind, is that this a fantastic way to get a handle on players you may need to being in mid-season, as injuries begin to add up. It’s not simply about finding players that will make the roster in September.

5. wabubba67 says:

Do you have to smoke marijuana to be a back up TE in Seattle? Middleton and McCoy….makes me wonder about Morrah. If it helps McCoy concentrate and catch the ball, I’ll make a neighborhood run for him.

6. Ewalters7354 says:

I honestly don’t see any way the Hawks get rid of Cameron Morrah except by injury.This is a real solid position for the Hawks.

Totally agree with Duke.Just getting guys in for tryouts in case of injury.Look what they did with Kenard Cox…

I was thinking the same thing as you were Dukeshire before I saw your post.
    Let’s just hope the injuries don’t pile up like the last few years!

8. bbnate420 says:

Excellent point Duke.

STTBM, what makes you think that they weren’t interested in him? They had much bigger needs so, I would’ve been disappointed if they spent a 1st or 2nd on him. Especially with his off the field issues.

9. HawkfaninMT says:

There are no off field issues with Tru. It was a misunderstanding and the charges were dropped.

That being said, I wouldn’t have wanted him over Wagner in the 2nd

10. I think Tru will end up being a far better player than Wagner, but Seattle needed Wagner bad, or at least a good fast LB bad. Perhaps they liked Kendricks better, but I dont think so. Wagner is faster.

I didnt mean they never looked at Johnson, just that he’s talented enough, if they liked him they should have found a way to get him in the third or late second.

It appears they had to have a LB with speed and Wilson, and didnt think enough of Johnson to risk losing those two. As much as I like Wagner, Im not sure they shouldnt have taken Johnson instead.

ANd his off-field issues were old and not jack; and thats coming from a guy famous for bagging dudes with issues, like that douche Bernard, Stevens, and even Hill and the Sainted Rudy (Tatupu)..