QB Wilson impresses in first practice

Post by Eric Williams on May 11, 2012 at 5:21 pm with 46 Comments »
May 11, 2012 6:14 pm

New Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson is going to need some ice bags for his shoulder after practice today.

The Wisconsin product basically took every rep during team and 7-on-7 drills at this afternoon’s two-hour workout, the first practice of Seattle’s weekend minicamp for rookies.

Fellow quarterbacks Chris Hart of Webber International University and Josh McGregor of Jacksonville University were relegated to being spectators most of the practice. However, both did get some work done afterwards with Seahawks quarterback coach Carl Smith.

Wilson said he took every rep at practice during his time at Wisconsin, so he’s used to the heavy workload.

Even more impressive was what Wilson did with those reps. As advertised, Wilson showed a big arm, played with great anticipation and was very accurate on most of his throws.

Wilson quickly worked through his progressions and decisively delivered the ball on target most of the time today. Not surprisingly, he fumbled a couple snaps. And yes, the 5-11 signal caller had two balls batted down at the line of scrimmage.

But overall, Wilson put on an efficient, impressive display and had good command of the first few installations of Seattle’s playbook.

“It was great today,” Wilson said. “There was so much rhythm out there in practice. The offense did a great job, had great tempo. I felt really comfortable knowing the plays and knowing the terminology and getting in the huddle.”

Wilson went on to say the transition going from North Carolina State to Wisconsin helped him in coming into a situation like Seattle and being comfortable in a new environment.

Seattle head coach Pete Carroll said Wilson did everything he expected him to do in his first practice time with the team.

“Just knowing who he is and how he was going to approach this, I expected him to be very good,” Carroll said. “And he was. He’s really smart. He’s very experienced. He’s as savvy as a guy can be, and he has a great work ethic.

“So you put all of that together, along with good communication with Carl Smith and with Darrell (offensive coordinator Darell Bevell) over the time leading to these last two weeks and he was ready to go.”

First round pick Bruce Irvin also looked the part today, showing a quick, initial burst off the line and looking stronger than expected in the run game, according to defensive line coach Todd Wash.

“He’s as fast and athletic as we thought he was going to be,” Wash said. “He put a lot of pressure on himself, which first round picks always do. He comes out and thinks he should have a sack every snap, which ain’t going to happen.

“But we were very impressed. He’s a heck of a lot stronger in the run game than we anticipated. When we get him on the sled and get him in some one-on-one drills, he’s very powerful. So that was a great thing for us to see.”

For his part, Irvin said he was focused on staying in his lane.

“I’m not going to come in and try and do too much, because that’s when you mess up,” Irvin said. “I’m going to come in and be Bruce, just like West Virginia. I’m going to get in where I fit in.”

Irvin Joked that he probably lost about seven or eight pounds during practice.

“It’s a lot different (than college),” Irvin said. “Less water breaks (laughter). And Coach (Todd) Wash, he’s an up-tempo guy. But I’ll get used to it.”

Irvin also had a chance to match up against a veteran NFL lineman, with former St. Louis first-round draft choice Alex Barron in camp as a tryout player. Barron and Irvin matched up several times during practice, with Barron at left tackle and Irvin at defensive end.

“He’s a big dude,” Irvin said about Barron. “He’s about 6-6, 6-7. So going against him isn’t going to do nothing but make me better every day.”

Barron had some kind works to say about Irvin.

“He’s a pretty good player,” Barron said. “I saw him a little bit in college. He’s a hard worker. A hard rusher – speed – and he’s got some moves on him.”

Some tidbits

* Duke tight end Cooper Helfet and receivers Phil Bates of Ohio University and UW’s Jermaine Kearse were on the receiving end of a lot of passes from Wilson.

* Seattle fifth round draft choice Korey Toomer looks like a player. He’s long at 6-2, 234 pounds and moves well. Toomer played SAM today and corralled an interception off of a tipped ball.

* Running back Robert Turbin is physically put together like former Seattle running back Julius Jones, and actually looked a little bit like Juice wearing No. 22. Turbin’s pretty shifty and explosive when he gets into the open field.

* Wash said the addition of defensive tackle Jaye Howard and defensive end Greg Suggs should help improve Seattle’s pass rush on third down. But also watch for Nebraska defensive end Pierre Allen, who was stashed on the team’s practice squad last year. He looked good in drills today.

* Sixth round draft choice safety Winston Guy did not practice today because he’s recovering from recent shoulder surgery. Portland State safety DeShawn Shead also did not practice because of an undisclosed injury.

* Doug Baldwin, Ricardo Lockette and Earl Thomas were among the Seattle players watching the workout along the sidelines.

* Sixth round draft choice Jeremy Lane will get a look as Seattle’s nickel back, and had a couple pass deflections in coverage today.

* Montana cornerback Donny Lisowski made a couple nice defensive plays on deep balls against bigger receivers, batting down a ball to University of Oregon product Lavasier Tuinei and intercepting another pass to Bates.

* Second round draft choice Bobby Wagner looked solid taking his first reps at middle linebacker.

Notes from practice
  1. SeahawkGreg says:

Eric, the Wilson video shows as being 1:44 in length but it only plays the first 5 secs.

Eric, a lot of good stuff there. Thanks.

Really happy about Wilson and Irvin.

Eric- Is Toomer at Sam due to he personnel for the camp or does he project there. A little light, no?

Let’s hope build and jersey number are the only things Turbin and Jones have in common.

3. SeahawkGreg: Thanks. Sorry about that. It’s been fixed.

4. Skavage says:

As much as I was surprised and even a bit disappointed on draft day, I’m now drinking the koolaid! I am as excited about this season as any in the past 10 or so. Can’t wait for camp to start and getting these rookies lined up against the vets. Fun times!

5. VNHLNFAN says:

This dude is a solid all around football player. Would not be surprised to see him as a backup or a starter. The QB position in Seattle looks very interesting now.

6. seahawk44 says:

Whats the full story with Alex Barron?

7. Dukeshire: I think Toomer projects as a SAM backer. He’s real long and rangy like K.J. He could step in for Wright if they decide to move him back inside.

8. TomlPDX says:

Mark my words…Wilson is the real deal.

Eric – Thanks. I really know very little about him, but if he is as long as KJ, he can keep TEs and such off him. Good to know.

10. DisplacedSeahawkFan says:

What about Turbin? Did he sign yet?

11. Ewalters7354 says:

Oh I love this time of the year!……I’m intrigued with Alex Barron as a depth player.I think that he would provide a solid option as a back up player to have in case of injury.He has to make the team first,but if he does I’m in.

12. Seahawks2620 says:

I wouldn’t necessarily say that Barron held his own against Irvin. From the little bit of video on Seahawks.com, he appeared to hold him every time.

13. Ewalters7354 says:

Seahawks2620,I bet he had no choice but to hold having to face a slippery player such as Bruce Irvin.

14. NWPoseidon says:

I haven’t felt hope or confidence in the QB department for quite some time. This is all great news! If Wilson looks solid with these receivers then he should look amazing with our starters!

Man, Wilson does have a tight / quick release. No doubt. He and Flynn really do make Jackson’s footwork and release look laborious. (just been watching Seahawks.com and other videos.)

Can’t wait to read more from tomorrow’s practice.

16. JazBadAzz says:

Eric did any of the guys seem to be out of shape? I heard a a receiver from another nfc west team came in looking bad!

I read Sando’s notes and Alex Barron won the battle against Irvine today.
    Good to see Wilson getting a ton of work, he has it all but height! O_o!
    I just don’t know how far that can take you at this lvl of competition. Everybody is bigger, faster, and smarter which means a lot more tip passes and smaller windows than college…(I know he didn’t have many batted in college :p).

17. I’m in love with the Flynn/Wilson combo. I like Flynn and have for a long time, but it’s nice to know there’s another option that we can have hope/faith in if he doesn’t work out. Just listening to Wilson makes you like him. He’s smart, seems like a good dude, etc. He’s the type of guy that you can buy a jersey for your little guy and be proud that he’s wearing it.

I know I wrote this the day after the draft, but a guy I work with has a sister that goes to Wisconsin and helped tutor some of the athletes (not Wilson) and she’d see Wilson on many occasions wherever it was there and said that he’s the real deal with respect to being a great human being. I know I’ve said it many times, but I have a seperate set of standards for being a person at the QB position and I’m glad Wilson is a Seahawk!

Now, I hope Flynn takes the job and never gives Wilson a chance, but it’s nice to be excited about that position if the starter were to get hurt.

18. And, please, lets never again read about Julius Jones and Turbin in the same sentence or comparison. :)

19. JazBadAzz says:

Thats what I thought Bobby…you can tell Eric is not a Seahawk fan, he always throw subtext in to stir the pot!

Dukeshire- are you now on the Wilson bandwagon? Lol.

I would like to see Wilson take charge and win the starting qb job!

And it’s nice to hear that Thomas, Baldwin, and Lockette were there!

21. EyeAmBaldman says:

You know, on a completely unrelated note, after watching the videos on Seahawks.com, those new helmets are wicked cool!

Ready for training camp people!

Jaz- Stirring the pot is a great way to keep a blog alive! And I could care less if Eric isn’t a Seahawk fan. He does a great job despite him being a Raider fan, ( which I was before the Seahawks became a franchise.)

I want every player in a Seahawk uniform to do well. Always been that way. Always will. My feelings toward Wilson have not changed, however. And as I’ve stated several times now: if I’m wrong about what he’ll be in the NFL, I’ll gladly admit how wrong I was.

But to the inuendo that I root against a Seahawk because of a personal dislike, or some such, is really absurd. Even a player like Curry, who
    I did grow to dislike, very much, I never wished him to suck so I would look better. I always wanted him to prove me wrong, and I said as much. So, when you ask if I’m on the “Wilson bandwagon”, the answer is, no. I want him to succeed. I want him to make me look like an idiot for questioning him. But until then, I stand by what I’ve said about his potential in the NFL. But I’m happy to read his first practice was impressive. It makes the team better.

BobbyK- you mean Wilson/Flynn combo?

25. Soggybuc says:

I’m with Skavage and Bobby here!I’m not sure what it is! I can’t put my my finger on it! But I am more stoked/jacked about this unit than any other ever!
    in 03, 04 and 05 we knew they were going to be good but this just feels different, as in they are going to be good but the rest of the NLF is going to find out just how good on the back of a Kam bruising hit. a Bruce OMGWTF sack or a Flynn “yea buddy! gonna be throwing those all day” TD pass!

26. No, Georgia, I meant what I said: The “Flynn/Wilson” combo:)

27. You’ll never look like an ‘idiot’ for questioning, Duke.

Heck, I’m rooting for every QB on the roster including TJack and Portis.

It will be very interesting to see how long it takes for Wilson to begin challenging Flynn. Not this year, I’m sure, since this year is first about Flynn outcompeting Tarvaris to earn the starting job. But it might not take long before Wilson steps up to compete, 2013 maybe. I can just hear the fans howling at Coach Carroll when that day comes. But Carroll really likes Wilson, and Flynn will be pushed to compete. I’m really liking this roster.

28. I am really excited for this season. I don’t think there has been this much QB talent on this team since…ever. A better pass rush, and a more consistent offense and we are going to be in the playoffs!

I was a Raider fan too, until they started an NFL team in my home town. I’m ready for another year like ’05. Go Hawks!

29. JazBadAzz says:

GeorgiaHawk
    MAY 11, 2012 AT 9:35 PM

WTF are you talking about?>
    My comment was not a negative thing towards Eric. I said what I said to point out that he gets the talk going by using a un-bias eye to report to us a bout the walks! The subtext thing was about, he knows some key words to say and it will get everything going! I could careless what what team he is a fan of because when he makes it big he will no longer be a fan of any team and only a fan of great stories and of the game. He does do a great job and I don’t have anything bad to say about him at all, just some idiot that takes two comments and makes huge assumptions about me and what I said! So relax or take your garbage to someone else that needs it cause you have no clue who I am!!

30. bird_spit says:

Hey Jaz ..chill..re-read GHawks comment. I see no malice in his comment at all..

31. raymaines says:

I know the average height of Wisconsin linemen was about 6’6″ and RW didn’t have any trouble with that, but now he’s going to be facing D-Linemen that are also 6’6″ tall. Heck, I could throw over a big guy that’s in a squat position. Lets see if Wilson can throw around or between full size D-linemen with long arms and big hands. I wish him the best, but I think Matt Flynn is the more promising player.

32. raymaines says:

Photography is my main hobby and I understand how angles and telephoto lenses can distort reality, so I didn’t say anything but pictures of Robert Turbin make him look like he should be doing some leg work in the weight room.

I was glad the Sandoman said this: “Turbin has huge biceps, but his lower body looks like it belongs to a smaller man.”

I’m a little worried about Turbin’s “Power Source” being a little on the skinny side. Marshawn Lynch runs with all the authority in the universe, can break a guys neck with a stiff arm and doesn’t seem to need any more upper body strength.

Here’s hoping the SeaHawk strength coach is smarter than the guy at Utah St.

“Man, that dude is good. He’s real good,” said Phil Bates, a rookie free agent from Ohio University who was signed after the draft – and found himself on the receiving end of several of Wilson’s throws.

“He can throw the ball anywhere, and he always makes it easy for a guy to catch it.”

I don’t know if we ever had a qb that could throw the ball anywhere and also make it easy for a guy to catch it?

I already have this feeling about Wilson and Wagner like many of us had last year with Baldwin and Sherman!

35. montanamike2 says:

PC and JS are looking like geniuses! They score talent and pick good players on their board out of the order the talking heads had them.
    Then they talk about how we failed miserably in the draft and other teams are pissed we took their guys before they could? I don’t care about the order as long as we get the guys we want. All we’ve done for the last three drafts is pick players that turn out to be steals!
    Maybe next year we’ll get a better grade after we sent another couple of “misses” to the pro bowl.

36. montanamike2 says:

GeorgiaHawk do you live in Atlanta?

montanamike2 – About 45 minutes north of Atlanta. I lived in Atlanta for about 20 years, however I got tired of the big city. Happens sometimes when you get older.

38. Hammajamma says:

So easy to see why they drafted him. I’ll take a few batted balls for a surgical passing game. Is it too early to comment on his poise and presence?

39. bird_spit says:

GeorgiaHawk,

45 mins puts you close to Flowery Branch if you are on that side on Lanier… Or are you up in Forsyth County?

Of course 45 mins with traffic isn’t too far North. Any opinion on the Falcons chances this year with NO being neutered?

40. Jaz, dude, mellow out. You sound like a HS kid with waaaay too much Monster energy drink and too much frustration from not ever getting laid. Im sure youre not that guy, but your comment makes you sound that way.

I got what you meant, but I didnt think the comment back to you had any malice in it either.

Just relax, your comments are usually pretty interesting when your not getting irate at the drop of a hat.

41. JazBadAzz says:

Bird_spit and sttbm- mind your freakin business!
    What he said about eric doing a good job and them being raider fans had what to do with what I said? I dint ask him sh!t, and didn’t say anything about who was doing a good job or not! Her you 2 come with that pack mantality crap. So you chill out and stop reading my comments with an attitude. Smile when you read it and it will sound different…like when you change the tone of your voice, I’m always laid back.

42. Jazz , mind my business?! Any comment posted here is an open invitation for any and all responses that disagree with a posted opinion or even supposed facts. While you resort to labeling and name-calling, others including myself have responded to your comment without resorting to such low behavior. Is that what makes you so angry–the inability to goad us into stooping to your level?

You are waaay too defensive to be laid back like you claim. Youre always ready for a fight–at least a verbal one.

While I see nothing wrong with your original comment, I also see absolutely nothing wrong with Georgia’s response either; it would seem that you didnt expound on your opinion enough to clarify what you meant/didnt mean, and you jumped to conclusion on Gerogia’s response. It looks to me like you really misinterpreted his meaning and intent. But thats just my opinion.

As for reading/interpreting comments with an attitude, thats just not true. However, you have flown off the handle at the drop of a hat multiple times, so it wouldnt be unreasonable for anyone to take your angry comments at face value.

No one is picking on you, just your grouchy comment. Perhaps you are a chill dude, but it doesnt come across that way in your comments. Which is fine, but you gotta expect folks to stand up for a fellow commenter getting reamed for being misunderstood.

Anyway, its not a big deal. I like reading your comments when your not coming across so grumpy, so keep them coming. Peace.

43. JazBadAzz says:

Seems to me you are a keyboard warrior and that’s not my forte’, while you seem to take what I say with an attitude, but you don’t see me pointing out any and all your faults. Your good at that because its not the only time you approached me this way! Tuck your ego back in the box because what I think and say about the seahawks have nothing to do with you! WTF you think you are the blog police? BAHAHAHAHA Good luck with that Derp!!!

44. Jaz–Im actually a guy who works outdoors. I type really fast, but I know jack crap about computers.

I am seriously confused as to why you are so confrontational, and why so angry. But thats okay too. Lord knows, it takes all kinds.

Really, Man, I’m not the one with the ‘Tude. I’ve confronted you a couple times when you went all Bipolar, but I’ve always been careful to dis your behavior/words, and not your person; I have no idea who or what you are, just what you comment here.

Blog Police?! LOL! NOt hardly! But I will always stand up for peoples right to comment their feelings/thoughts/opinions on a blog–as long as they arent personal, racist/sexist/etc–even and especially when I disagree with said opinion. Because thats what America was supposed to be about.

If I offended you, I apologise. Wasnt my intention. You seem to fly off the handle very easily, but then again so do I on occasion. I actually like your comments, as I said. So again, relax, and take it easy. Give us some more of your comments that arent so whack about other commenters, I’d love to hear what you think about the last few days Hawk news.

Derp is an insult I have yet to hear, but I claim many others that suit my personality, including Dweeb, Dert-ta-Der, and my Wife’s fav, Ass!

Whats really funny is implying I have an outsize Ego; Oh damn, if you really knew me you would die laughing!

Peace out or whatever, you who are surely cooler than I! Peace be with you, and may you find what youre looking for. And keep posing, just without the angry freakouts. Be glad you arent as weird as me.

45. JazBadAzz says:

Sttbm-my last post on this matter!

I still don’t understand how any of this your business *sigh*
    If someones starts a post with my name and saying whatever it may be, then I will address it accordingly. You need to stop it with all the “you seem so mad” and “wwhy so angry” you sound retarded because first of all I told you I’m not upset in anyway nor do I care to keep explaining to you that I’m not but when someone keeps looking over my words when I’m telling them the truth makes me think your “thick” or “screwing with me”. I can go back and point out many posts you have made and make assumption about your emotional state! Normally people posts when some news comes out and I’m sure we all have had emotional roller coaster moments and you’ll be right up there with the best of them! Calling me bipolar or whatever you said is more of a reflection of probably who you are.

I could care less if you read any of my post again, I don’t care to interact with you any longer, enjoy your time here but don’t include me. I don’t respect people that judge and label a person and have no clue of what they are talking about. This is the 2nd time you have jumped down my throat about something. Remember the Janoris Jenkins thing? The spelling of Burfict? And now this, and you calling me out??? PFFT get a freaking life pal!

46. Jaz–Seriously, re-read our posts carefully. I never called you Bipolar, nor name-called; I said you acted that way. Nor did I label you anything, just mentioned your comment came across a certain way.

As for the Jenkins/Johnson thing, you jumped all over me and called me names because I believed Johnson had a chance to be drafted ahead of Jenkins, and is a better player and better fit for our system in Seattle. I came back with facts–many draft sites had him rated a first/second round talent; and you posted comments with zero facts, only opinions, that lambasted me and came across as angry.

I dont judge you, nor label you as a person. I do however, stand up and comment when someone like you trashes someone else in the comment section, and I always will. If you dont like it, then change how you comment.

I could care less if you respect me or not. I have refrained from namecalling or labeling, yet you have not.

Grow up.