Report: Hawks agree to terms with 4th round pick Howard

Post by Eric Williams on May 10, 2012 at 2:58 pm with 33 Comments »
May 10, 2012 2:58 pm

First reported by ProFootballTalk.com, the Seattle Seahawks reportedly agreed to terms with the team’s fourth round pick, defensive tackle Jaye Howard on a four-year deal.

Terms of the deal were not disclosed. The Seahawks have not confirmed this report.

With Howard’s deal reportedly done, Utah State running back Robert Turbin, also a fourth round pick by the Seahawks, is the only one of Seattle’s 10 draft picks that remains unsigned heading into the team’s rookie minicamp that runs from Friday to Sunday.

Draft-pick Signings

It would be awesome if Turbin was signed and Seattle stated their rookie mini-camp with all their picks under contract.

Started…

3. SandpointHawk says:

It would be a first for sure…

4. Singularitarian says:

Howard seems to be the guy nobody is talking about. I’ve looked him up a bit, and mostly I saw him getting double teamed, which he didn’t handle to well, but who does? if he can get his feet moving he seems to have some power, but if he gets stuck right away he seems to have a hard time recovering. What are your guys thoughts and what do you guys think the plan with him is? I think he’ll be a depth/project for at least a season

5. rgbuckl says:

After guys like Curry, I don’t have a lot of patience for Rookie holdouts. If a guy is going to get greedy, without ever playing an NFL snap, it seems like they could say, “Here’s the deal, take it or leave it.” I really like what I see on tape from Turbin, but not digging this. Maybe it’s too early…

If he’s signed, I can see him going grill shopping with Marshawn like that video we saw this past year (I think it was after he was resigned).

6. montanamike2 says:

I don’t get the feeling that Turbin wants to hold out for more money, i honestly can’t guess why he’s not signed but am quite confident he will in the next day or two.

7. raymaines says:

We all agree that holdouts are ugly, awful and stupid, but…..

I still don’t think Turbin is a “Holdout”. Not exactly. Sort of.

Time will tell, but this really could be just a case of his agent having better things to do than screw around with a mid level fourth round pick. Things are pretty well slotted and there can’t be be too much to negotiate. He plays this position and he was picked here. It’s over. It’s going to be a three year contract for X amount of dollars, with Y dollars guaranteed. Sign here please. No holdouts allowed.

8. RDPoulsbo says:

They really can’t hold out for more money. The money is already slotted, so there’s no negotiation to be done.

Howard really is a guy people are overlooking. Eric seems to be real high on him. I’ll need to watch some film to see what kind of guy he is.

9. Soggybuc says:

It could also be a case of Turbins agent waiting to see what Howard received as a signing bonus so he knows what to get for Robert. by the draft position Turbin should get a slightly larger bonus than Howard.

A holdout? If he misses the start of training camp, then he’s a holdout. Has everyone already forgotten that until this new CBA, none of the draftees were signed prior to rookie mini-camp. This is incredible that all but one *is* signed. Turbin will be here tomorrow, contract or no. Sorry to say, but even implying this is a holdout is absurd.

11. JazBadAzz says:

Thank you Duke, its amazing how the herd mentality works on this blog! SMH

12. This is a HUGE positive situation with only Turbin unsigned! If you look around the league, I bet a significant number of guys are unsigned yet. I also just saw that the 9th overall pick, Kuechly was just signed by Carolina, which is the highest 1st rd pick signed, so that means the top 8 are unsigned.

We are way ahead of anyone else!

13. A holdout in mid-May?

SeaHulk will be signed shortly.

14. bird_spit says:

Not in town yet, and wants his check in hand when he gets here? You can bet it gets done in the next couple of days…

VicHawk- All of the Ravens picks are signed, however I don’t think they had a 1st round pick.

I can’t get over how the team speed is getting better and better!
    And the competition for positions.
    This will be alot of fun to watch right up to the last roster cut!

16. Macabrevity says:

Howard looks athletic to me, getting disengaged from blockers is just a matter of technique, rip, swim, chuck moves, etc. Irvin is similar in a way. A lot of the footage I saw had him dancing in front of and around the OT, not able to disengage once contact was made. This kind of stuff can be coached, it’s not too late. The ability to move like those guys do… that can’t be coached. If it’s a question of upper body strength, well that can be coached and trained as easy or easier than anything else, just depends on how bad the guy wants it. We definitely added some stud athletes in this draft. I know a typical draft yields 1 or 2 starters, 1 or 2 bench guys if you’re lucky, but I have a hard time looking at any of these guys and not seeing them make the team and contribute. I know it’s not realistic to think we hit on all our picks, but I can’t shake the feeling anyway.

I wonder what sort of surprises lie ahead? The two biggest ones last year to me was Baldwin making the team and playing very well and LeGree not making the team.

18. Eric, I read that Golden Tate missed some voluntary practice time this week….. do you have any details about why?

19. I think Legree was cut because Bigby was here and healthy, so no need to carry a safety who cannot contribute right away. Jeron Johnsons play in training camp sealed his Seahawk fate.

20. 4th round picks do not hold out. It’s mid-May. In the past, most rookies are hardly ever signed by now.

Oh no! Clem is in the last year of his contract? He must want out! I hate him!

*For those of you who don’t get sarcasm, I’m kidding about not liking Clem:)

21. RDPoulsbo says:

Turbin will be there for rookie camp. The only reason I can think of for why he’s unsigned is either he or his agent are off doing other things. The contract is set in stone by the CBA, so there is no negotiating going on. No big deal.

Looking at some film on Howard, I can see the talent at DT. There’s certainly some development that needs to be done, but I like his potential as a 3-tech pass rusher and could become a good early down player as well. I wouldn’t play him at 5-tech though. A complete inability to contain the edge. He was a bit jumpy in the LSU game, which makes me nervous as well. Overall, he could be a steal in a year or two with some good coaching.

22. If I were Turbin and the Agent can’t get a pretty simple deal set by the CBA in place done on time, bye bye Agent.
    Get it done Turbin, today is your first day of work!!!

Excited to see how this rookie class works out, hoping for lots of surprises (better than we thought they were).

Big worry, yes we are getting faster, but also getting smaller. When playing in bad weather against the big physical teams sometimes speed gets mashed

23. If I were Turbin and the Agent can’t get a pretty simple deal set by the CBA in place and done on time, bye bye Agent.
    Get it done Turbin, today is your first day of work!!!

24. The nice thing about having guys like Big Red and Mebane is that it allows you to get smaller/faster because those guys can mash, bash, and crash with the best of them and be the physical players we must have to still have a powerful AND fast team.

25. RDPoulsbo says:

It has only been 13 days since Turbin was drafted. If he’s studying for finals or just taking a vacation after dealing with the pre-draft workouts, there’s nothing wrong with that. Really, there’s no reason to be up in arms about it.

26. Ambassador says:

I don’t post much, but read the blog a few times each day for the last 3 seasons. You guys are awesome; I’ve learned a ton by reading your analysis. I want to thank you for keeping things positive and civil and policing the site when some Yahoo goes over the line. Keep it up guys.

27. jchawks08 says:

Thank you Duke for reiterating what should be obvious to the rest of the peeps on the blog. Lot’s of folks seem to have some serious short-term memory loss. Having 9-10 players signed at this point is unfathomable and we should be proud of this front office. Yes, the new CBA certainly makes things easier when signing the rookies, but still. So early in the game and we are well ahead of the curve.
    Hold-outs don’t happen until official training camp starts the end of July. Can’t wait to hear the reports from rookie camp this weekend. I hope Turbin doesn’t hurt anyone out there with his hulk-smash style. :D

28. IBGoofy says:

The Wilson, Turbin & Howard selections were basically back-up selections for ‘this’ year, part of the reason our draft got the criticism it has, with Wagner still questionable as a starter, it only left us with a situational starter in Irvin. For me, Turbin appears
    like the one who will have the bigest impact for us this year. Really excited to see him in action during the preseason… I can’t believe the contract signing will even be an issue…

Yes Ambassador, it’s nice to read and/or post on a blog that rarely degenerates to the “You suck!” “No you suck!” “your momma!” “No your momma!” Like so many other blogs out there!

I like the links and most of the comments here, and also the debates. Also we can sometimes post silly things, ( especially on Friday and Saturday, then come back on sunday or Monday and think- “did I really post that?” Lol.

About the only thing I don’t like is being in the Eastern time zone and having to wait so long before things start to happen in the morning on this blog!

Perhaps Eric could start getting up about 3 hours earlier? Lol.

30. Hammajamma says:

One could argue it’s a positive sign to draft for specific needs like a backup RB, speed rusher, etc. It recognizes that the team is just a piece or two away from taking off. Wilson, I believe, was selected on his own merits, and while a gamble, simply had too many rare qualities to pass up. Holmgren whiffed on David Greene, who had the measubles people use against RW, but I think RW has much more overall abilility. Those who still want to cling to the Seneca comparison (yes, you Sir Duke), might find a look at their collegiate stats interesting. Of course they’re only numbers and the difference isn’t staggering, until you get to INT/TD ratios, etc. I think they see field leadership and moxie as an important factor.

But just to throw all that aside, I think the dude is a stud QB who can wing it and improvise with the best of the current class.

31. Macabrevity says:

GeorgiaHawk… wanna trade time zones with me? How does CET sound for you?

Ambassador – Don’t be a stranger, man. Cheers.

33. SandpointHawk says:

Macabrevity, aren’t you on CEST right now?