Bryant ready to take on more of a leadership role

Post by Eric Williams on May 9, 2012 at 12:04 pm with 37 Comments »
May 9, 2012 12:04 pm

Red Bryant understands the responsibility that comes with signing a lucrative, multi-year deal.

So it’s no surprise that burly defensive end, one of the more vocal leaders on defense for Seattle last season, said he’s more than willing to take on even more of a leadership role this season.

“I know I’m a big player moving forward in terms of what we’re trying to do on defense,” Bryant said. “And I have a lot more responsibility as far as continuing to be a leader that I have become, and continuing to progress as a player. But other than that it feels about the same.”

Bryant said he was always confident he would return to Seattle in free agency, but admitted feeling a little bit of pride that an organization like New England, led by head coach Bill Belichick, showed real interest in bringing him into the fold.

For him (Belichick) to pursue me, it made me feel even more confident in my ability, and what I bring to the table,” Bryant said.

Bryant said the one thing he notices about this year’s team that is different than two years ago is the overall depth at every position.

“In 2010 when I got injured we really didn’t have a person who could step up at that particular time and do what Coach Carroll envisioned for the defense,” Bryant said. “But you can’t say the same thing today. If one guy goes down, I’m pretty sure the next guy will step in and it shouldn’t be a big drop off. And that’s a testament to Coach Carroll and the scouting department.”

Bryant also said he’s enjoying fatherhood. His son, Joseph, is four months old and about 22 pounds.

“He’s starting to be a big boy,” Bryant said.

Some tidbits

* New defensive lineman Jason Jones looks every bit of 6-foot-5 and 276 pounds. He’s got long arms and long legs, and really looks more like a basketball player playing football.

“He’s quick and extremely fast,” Bryant said abut Jones. “I can see why they went out in free agency and really got after him. He does a great job of getting after the ball. He’s a lot longer – he’s about as a tall and maybe even be taller than me. So I could see how he could cause a lot of confusion.

“And he’s a lot smaller and quicker than I am. So it’s definitely going to be intriguing once we get into our different packages – our Bandit look and things like that – it’s going to bring a different dynamic to our football team.”

* Matt McCoy and Allen Bradford worked at middle linebacker defensively. Barrett Ruud watched from the sidelines, along with Malcolm Smith and Jameson Konz.

* James Carpenter did not practice today, but he did work on pass sets along the sideline while the rest of the offensive line went through pass blocking assignment drills. So Carpenter is beginning to put some pressure on the knee, which is a good sign.

* Zach Miller, Sidney Rice, Mike Williams and Kris Durham did not practice today. But both Rice and Williams were out on the field, and contrary to some of the folks in the comments section that saw this photo from yesterday, Williams looked trim and fit. It must be the camera angle.

* New receiver Raymond Webber was at practice today and worked at split end.

* Defensive tackle Alan Branch again was not present for OTAs today.

* Defensive backs Byron Maxwell and Walter Thurmond did not practice with the team today.

* USC defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin was at practice today. Kiffin of course served as a mentor for Pete Carroll and defensive coordinator Gus Bradley.

* This weekend’s rookie minicamp will only include Seattle’s 10 draft picks, the 10 undrafted rookie free agents and about 30 rookie tryout guys. So the veterans will not be present.

Notes from practice

Eric, Where was Jones working today, primarily?

2. RDPoulsbo says:

Branch had a reputation for being lazy in Arizona. Now that he has a clean slate in Seattle, maybe now would be the time to make sure that reputation doesn’t follow him up north.

Bryant’s comments seem to infer Jones is playing 5-tech, which isn’t what I’m hoping to hear. I’d be interested to know where he’s playing as well.

I hope they make Red and Baldwin team captains this year! We need leaders that can keep their cool at mid field before games, and these two will demonstrate to the younger or less mature players what it takes to not make so many silly mistakes like were made last year.

4. HawkfaninMT says:

What am I forgetting about last year Georgia?

RD – That’s *exactly* what I’m hoping to hear, actually. I just don’t see him being as effective inside, as he would be at end, in an under alignment. But, we’ll see…

Although, seeing how badly Branch got pushed around the last month of the season last year, I would like to see how he fairs at 3-tech, in base sets.

7. BobbyK says:

Why wasn’t Smith practicing?

I’m imagining a “little” Big Red and getting a good chuckle:)

8. JazBadAzz says:

Jason Jones probably will play any position across the line, that’s why they didn’t feel the need to draft Ingram.

Big Red kid sounds like he’s gonna take after daddy! The weight is a lottle above average but the height is off the chart!

We need to get Turbin and Howard signed, what’s the hold up?

9. RDPoulsbo says:

Duke: While I’m not for it, Irvin is supposed to be getting the 5-tech snaps on passing downs. That should mean Jones will be the 3-tech.

In an under front, you’re gonna want a 3-tech lined up on the Leo side to take the guard away from double teaming the the Leo and provide inside pass rush so the QB can’t step up, basically forcing the QB to the strong side. The LT will be forced into a wide set, giving room for the 3-tech to make a pass rushing move to get by the LG. I think Jones has the quickness for that. This is where being able to create diagrams would come in handy. It’s not something that’s easily described.

Maybe they can put Irvin at Will, knowing he’ll blitz on passing downs with the 5-tech in coverage in a zone blitzing scheme. The speed would make it difficult for the o-line to block down and a RB staying in for protection would be no match.

What’s great about this blog is posters love to get into the details even if there’s disagreement.

HawkfaninMT- If the team captains can’t keep their cool how does that reflect on the other players?

Carroll was irked by the amount of penalties last year and the Washington game was a good example of that! That was a game we should have won if we would have had better leadership, imo!

It certainly wouldn’t hurt to make players like Red and Baldwin our captains. They both have demonstrated a high level of leadership and deserve to be rewarded for it.

11. Skavage says:

I heard two interesting comments on Brock and Saulk today.

First was from PC when they interviewed him. He commented that Jones would work at 3 Tech and they really expected him to succeed there. I got the impression on obvious passing downs we are going to have 3 of the fastest, dynamic rushers in the league between Clemons, JJ, and Irvin. Expect to see a lot of draws and screens by about week three. :)

The second thing I thought was interesting was Brock’s comments about Flynn and Jackson. He basically said you could really see how fluid, and good that Flynn looked. He made a comment to the effect that both were accurate and did fine but that Flynn really looked well practiced, natural and threw really well and his timing was great. THAT is good news considering how little time he’s had with our receivers. Personallu I hope he comes in with an atitude that the job is his…period. And then proves why it should be. (Although I could easily root for Wilson.)

The one thing,( besides better qb play and pass rush ), that I haven’t forgotten from last year and needs to improve this year was the penalties!
    I’m sure that Carroll is going to do everything he can to cut down on them.
    We don’t have to be the best at it, however,(imo), if we want to be playoff contenders then we have to cut down on the silly mistakes!

13. Dukeshire: Jones has been working mostly as a 3-tech with Alan Branch not around.

BobbyK: I’m not sure what Malcolm Smith’s injury situation is, but he has not been practicing. But Dexter Davis did practice today. He sat out last week during the 45 minutes we had an opportunity to watch.

14. JazBadAzz says:

Doug is not ready to be a team cap… I would choose Earl, Clemons, Bryant, the stating QB and Unger.

15. JazBadAzz says:

*starting QB

16. wabubba67 says:

Really looking forward to seeing Clemons, Jones, and Irvin on the field at the same time on obvious passing downs….pretty sure that Bradford, Smith, and Kolb don’t feel the same way.

17. montanamike2 says:

I’m stoked about our linebackers too, Bobby Wagner looks mean as hell.
    We have forged a team of former misfits with attitude and upgraded the talent to where this team doesn’t even resemble what we had just a few short years back. And we’re deep!

RDPoulsbo – I am absolutely aware of all of that. Regardless, Jones will be outweighed by 30+ lbs by every guard he faces, and in run protections, he ought to easily get moved out of the B gap.

And I absolutely envision Clem and Irvin both on the weak side, in some situations (rare, but occasional nickle packages). It will be a very difficult pick up.

19. BobbyK says:

I guess Smith still has a couple of months to get ready and he knows the system better than most vets, but I would feel better if he were practicing. He’s a guy, in my mind, that I’m really counting on this year to bring that speed to this defense.

I envision some scenarios where Irvin rushes from the spot Clem occupies and Clem moves to the 5-tech in some pass rushing situations, as Mr. Happy analyzes match-up situations. I don’t think it’ll be strictly one or the other (even though we know Clem is the starter this year and the spot belongs to Irvin in the long-term, IMO). I’m excited to see what they come up with.

20. rodman says:

I heard a Miami Beat Reporter (missed his name) on ESPN Radio saying that one of the reasons that Miami Head Coach Joe Philbin didn’t go hard after Matt Flynn because there are concerns with Matt Flynn’s arm strength and accuracy with the long ball, and that it won’t take long for defenses to figure that out. Is there any indication of this in practice? Philbin would have seen this every day at Green Bay.

21. BobbyK says:

Sando had something the other day about Flynn looks a little more accurate (which he expected) and that T-Jack has a stronger arm (which was expected) but that there wasn’t as big of a difference in arm strength between the two that he had thought (which is good).

Eric – Have you kind of seen the same thing or do you think T-Jack, from your observations this week, has quite a bit stronger of an arm, as many of us originally thought. I’d really like to hear that the arm strengths are more similar than previously thought (as Sando alluded to from the first day of practice that he attended). Thanks.

Eric – Thanks for the clarification on Williams. I was hoping it was just an odd angle.

And what is the story with Branch? Why has he been a no show?

23. pabuwal says:

Watching the games tells me Flynn has very little arm strength – by NFL standards. Eric gave an opinion on Flynn’s arm strength in the last chat.

24. montanamike2 says:

Flynn has a lot of simmularities to Hasselbeck.

25. Soggybuc says:

Pass rush from the 3 tech involves more technique and use of hands to keep the guards hands off of you. that 30+ means nothing in one on one pass match up’s.
    In the run game I would agree but Jones long arms will give him leverage over a shorter fatter guard.

26. Soggybuc says:

Ok, I just watched Flynn’s Lions game highlights and saw passes of 44, 49, and 42 yards that were accurate and well placed. good enough for me.

Soggy – I was referring to runs. I mentioned run protections.

28. RDPoulsbo says:

Duke: I’m assuming they will be using Branch on the early downs and short yardage and Jones comes in on passing downs. PC sure wants 3 of those guys up front to resemble 3-4 linemen.

Yes. I too assume that, or hope at least. Because, as I’ve mentioned 3 times now, Jones would seem to be easily moved out of his gap, IN RUN PROTECTIONS. (Third time…)

I’m so glad the FO signed Big Red! They knew he was a very important part of the defense and a great locker room guy! You just can’t plug someone in and replace a player like this very easily, imo.

RD – I’m not trying to be a dick, even though that last post my have come out that way.

32. RDPoulsbo says:

Not a problem Duke. I think we’re just talking about different personnel situations. Jones really doesn’t have a place at 5-tech with Bryant and Irvin taking up all the snaps there. I wouldn’t want Jones in on run downs either and have always assumed he’d only be in on passing downs to provide interior pass rush.

I’m not very high on Branch, but he’ll do for now.

I’m not terribly excited about Branch, either.

34. jchawks08 says:

Good Lord. So many defensive coordiantors in the comments today. Let’s have a pi$$ing contest to show who’s most knowledgeable and who knows the most lingo!!

35. RDPoulsbo says:

jchawks08: Naw…it’s actually fun. In fact, it’s why I like this blog. There’s a lot more meat in the posts than just “Go Hawks!” With the offseason, everyone has ideas to throw around about how to use the personnel. We’ll never get to try them out ourselves, but it’s still fun to think creatively nonetheless.

I never take things personally here. When people disagree, it’s a chance to think of things you’ve never thought of before.

36. jchawks08 says:

Yea, I can respect that, but sometimes it’s a bit much. You certainly aren’t the only guilty one, but I understand. It’s a passionate game. It’s such a long time (NFL Fan time) before a meaningful game will be played, and I prefer to just chill, hear about the progress of the rookies and veterans, and new team members. Debating x’s and o’s and who should play where and when and in what situation is not my cup of tea when we don’t even know if any of these guys will be on the 45 man game-day roster! Anyway, keep up the good fight!