Flynn on QB competition: “I know that everything I do matters”

Post by Eric Williams on May 4, 2012 at 12:16 pm with 108 Comments »
May 6, 2012 7:08 pm

He looked smooth, got rid of the ball quickly and appeared comfortable on the field.

Those were my first impressions of new Seattle Seahawks quarterback Matt Flynn while watching him briefly in the team’s 45-minute workout this morning, the first time Seattle-area reporters had an opportunity to see Flynn in action.

Both Flynn and Tarvaris Jackson spoke to reporters this morning about the competition for the starting job.

Seattle Seahawks quarterback Matt Flynn runs through passing drills with receivers during practice at VMAC in Renton on Thurssday, May 4, 2012. ( Lui Kit Wong/Staff Photographer)

“I know that everything I do matters,” Flynn said. “In Green Bay I kind of had the luxury
of kind of sitting back and learning, and being able to take my time in the progression of becoming a better quarterback.

“But I come in here, and now I get to compete and get the opportunity. And that’s what I came here for, and that’s what I’m excited about.”

Flynn said learning a new offense has been helped by the fact that Seattle’s version of the West Coast offense is very similar to the West Coast offense he was groomed under in Green Bay.

“It’s a West Coast offense just like I had in Green Bay,” Flynn said. “Some of terminology is a little bit different. Something we called there is called something different here, but it’s just a matter of learning and getting to where I can process that new terminology in a matter of a split second.”

Both Jackson and Flynn said there’s no bad blood between the two quarterbacks.

“It’s going on my seventh year, so I understand the game now and understand how things work,” Jackson said. “Like I said, it’s sort of out my control. I just try to do what I can do, and just let things play out.

“I’m not a GM. I’m not a head coach, so I can’t go and pick exactly who they want, or say don’t get a quarterback. If I could I would, believe me (laughs). But that’s not how things work. So I’m just here to compete, and may the best man win.”

Flynn echoed Jackson’s comments about the competition.

“We hit it off as soon as we got here,” Flynn said. “We’ve got a good relationship. It’s kind of cool. We’re in meetings and we’re kind of learning off of each other, telling each other things that we’ve learned in the past”

Jackson said he’s fully healthy from the torn pectoral muscle he suffered last year.

Seattle head coach Pete Carroll said there’s no timeline on when he will name a starter for the 2012 season.

“The format is really just to do everything I can to organize it and orchestrate, so they get a legit shot of showing what they can do with all of the guys that are available,” Carroll said.

Jackson did work as the quarterback with the first unit today, something Carroll said he earned by virtue of his 7-7 record with the team last season.

“T-Jack is taking the first snap right now,” Carroll said. “That’s what he does everyday out here. He’s already earned that out here. But from that point, the competition is on. And those guys are well informed about that.”

Carroll compared the competition between Jackson and Flynn to his days at USC when Matt Leinart and Matt Cassel battled for the starting job for the Trojans.

Some tidbits

* Offensive guard Deuce Lutiu looked slim working with the second unit at right guard. At one point last year Lutui failed a physical with Cincinnati in part because he had reportedly ballooned to 400 pounds. Carroll actually said with a straight face that Lutui is a vegan now.

“Yeah, I’m not making that up,” Carroll said. “I wouldn’t make that up.”

* One person not benefitting from the arrival of Flynn is third stringer Josh Portis, who is getting a limited amount of snaps because the coaching staff needs to get Flynn up to speed

* Carroll once again gushed when asked about Russell Wilson, saying he looks forward to seeing him when Seattle holds its rookie camp next week. By the way, I’ve been told the rookie camp will be just that – rookies in attendance and no veterans.

“I have really high expectations for him,” Carroll said. “That he’s going to learn the system before he ever gets here. And he’s going to be able to come out here and execute.

“I just really can’t wait to see him in our uniform out here playing ball with us. And we’ll see how it goes.

* Some numbers: Matt Flynn is No. 15; Russell Wilson is No. 3; Bruce Irvin is No. 51; Jason Jones is No. 90; Deuce Lutui is No. 72; Bobby Wagner is No. 54; Robert Turbin is No. 22; Korey Toomer is No. 47; Winston Guy is No. 27; J.R. Sweezy is No. 64; Greg Scruggs is No. 98; Jaye Howard is No. 94; Kregg Lumpkin is NO. 20; Tyrell Suttton is No. 30; Frank Omiyale is No. 65.

* Omiyale is working at left tackle with the first second unit, and Paul Fanaika is working at right tackle with the second unit. Fanaika played mostly guard last year.

* James Carpenter mostly watched from the sidelines, but he appears to be moving okay, and more important looks like he has not gained a lot of weight rehabbing from an ACL knee injury.

* Mike Williams did not workout today and is still rehabbing from a broken ankle he suffered against Chicago in December. Carroll said he does not have a timetable on Williams’ return.

* Sidney Rice also did not practice with the team today. Rice is recovering from surgeries on both shoulders this offseason. Golden Tate and Ben Obomanu worked with the first unit at receiver today.

* Both Russell Okung (torn pectoral) and John Moffitt (knee) worked with the first unit, Okung at left tackle and Moffitt at right guard. Both appear to be on target to be full go once training camp arrives in July. Carroll said both players have not been cleared for full go yet.

* Walter Thurmond (ankle) wheeled himself around on a scooter for his leg while watching practice, but appeared in good spirits.

Notes from practice
  1. ryanryan says:

eric – was durham/butler out there? how’d they look?

A workout report, hot damn! Very happy to read Okung and Moffitt are on the field. #51 for Irvin? I presume that’s a preseason issue unless they are actually listing him as a LB.

Eric, who was at Mike in 7 on 7, Wright? And who took his place at Sam, if so? Thanks.

3. ryanryan says:

love that moffitt and okung were working with the 1′s.

4. rgbuckl says:

Eric, you said that Omiyale is also working with the first unit at LT? Did it look like Okung wasn’t 100%?

Flynn “looked smooth, got rid of the ball quickly and appeared comfortable on the field.” That’s awesome and not really something we’re used to of late. T-Jax has lots of arm strength and fought hard threw the injury last year, but let’s face it, he holds the ball, only seems to look at his first read, and has no pocket awareness. I’ve heard pro QBs say that they had to “feel” those pass rushers coming and he doesn’t seem to at all. I am very interest to see how WRs like Williams does with someone who can put the ball into tight openings (Wilson also seems very adept at that).

I imagine Eric meant left guard.

6. Dukeshire: Sorry, I meant that Omiyale was working at left tackle with the second unit. By the time I got to the defensive field they had stopped working with the full unit, so I didn’t see who was playing middle backer. Barrett Ruud did not practice today.

Ryanryan. Durham is still recovering from shoulder surgery and was not full go. Butler worked with the second unit at Z (flanker) and looked good.

BTW, can’t help but notice the Seahawk logo on the practice jersey sleeve…

8. NWPoseidon says:

Brock Huard this morning said that Flynn looked extremely comfortable out there. He noted that it almost looked like Hasselbeck out there, just 2 inches shorter. Personally I would welcome any QB that was like Hasselbeck from 02-07.

Thanks E!

10. Stevos says:

Great to see real football news from the practice field. Thanks, Eric.

“Offensive guard Deuce Lutiu looked slim”
    I almost fell off my chair when I read that. LOL. Great news and if he’s back in shape this year he should win a starting job at one of the OG spots.

“Golden Tate and Ben Obomanu worked with the first unit at receiver today.”
    Ugh. I know its only May and our starters are still healing their injuries, but the last time Tate and Obo started at WR the team went 0-2 to end the season with no passing game whatsoever. Sydney, we are counting on you for 16 games this year.

“James Carpenter moving okay, and more important looks like he has not gained a lot of weight rehabbing from an ACL knee injury.”
    Good news. Glad to see he got the memo this offseason about getting in shape.

“Paul Fanaika is working at right tackle”
    Interesting seeing Fanaika move from G to T. I thought he looked powerful in camp last year, and he’s built similar to Carpenter. I wonder if Tom Cable is showing this is what he wants at RT, big mashers like Carp and Fanaika rather than a more nimble guy like Giacomini.

11. Strategicdust says:

I’m happy to see both Lutiu and Carpenter showing up in shape. Carpenter will be awhile but Lutiu could be a very useful piece for this line if he’s ready to go.

12. Stevos says:

at first glance I thought that was Hasselbeck wearing that red 15 jersey. Had to refocus my eyes.

13. BobbyK says:

Wow. Real football news. It seems like such a long time ago that we heard anything like that. I’m pumped.

14. rgbuckl says:

Thanks Eric! Not trying to be picky, just concerned about our returning injured players.

Hey Duke, how sweet is it to be talking workouts and not the draft? ;o)

15. BobbyK says:

People can talk all they want about how it was fun to watch all the young talent play and develop last season (and seeing guys like Chancellor, Sherman, Wright, etc. really come on), but it was a year that I have hated about as bad as any, as a Seahawk fan. And, yes, that includes those horrible years where there was no talent either (for me, not you). But now that we have signed someone who could be a real QB and have drafted someone that has a chance to be a real QB — I couldn’t be more optimistic about our future! I’m ready for Super Bowls!

16. I hope Wilson changes from number 3… I have the name Mirer burned into my retina, rather mired in association with Seahawks blue.
    Nothing against this quarterback though, I got a feeling he’ll have a few good years somewhere in this league. Hopefully he can help erase the stigma that number carries for us if he sticks with it.

17. fdsadat says:

Men… I really love the way you post “Some tidbits”, with those “*”… kkk

Would like to hear more about linebackers and about Clemons

Stevos – I thought that too, whith the backwards hat.

rgbuckl – Ahhh, like a breath of fresh air.

19. chuck_easton says:

All I got out of that camp report was blah, blah, blah, Okung and Moffit working with the 1st team o-line, more blah, blah blah….

I’m sure the rest of the report was important, but I just can’t stop thinking about having our starting o-line (with the exception of Carp) ready for the season! :) :) :)

20. Soggybuc says:

I’m guessing Cable will play guys all over the place for awhile before deciding on final positions.
    Also he likes for guys to comfortable at multiple spots and OTA’s are the place to accomplish that.

21. SandpointHawk says:

The backwards hat the three day beard, the body language, welcome home Matt…we are going to love you.

22. Southendzone says:

TremR: Great call, that was my 1st thought when I heard the #3. Some #’s you retire due to great players, some you retire just to keep the cursed stench of a former bust from ever impacting the team again.

Someone talk to Russell Wilson and get him a new #. I might have to start a FB page campaign for this sometime over the weekend.

23. rgbuckl says:

Thanks for the link Sandpoint. It was nice to get more take on the workout.

Duke, nice catch on the Seahawks logo on the practice jersey. I wonder if there’s a way we can buy one of those???

24. Soggybuc says:

Now you’ve done it!! once they realize the mistake of having the team logo on the practice jersey i’m sure it will be replaced post haste with an internet explorer #whatever ad or a Starbucks logo to go along with the new Starbucks location on the practice field that will “compete” with the one in the parking lot!

25. raymaines says:

How big are Matt Flynn’s hands? Can he hang onto a wet football as well as #8?

26. Seahawks2620 says:

Pete and John must have a thing for players with big biceps now, because this kid Raymond Webber that we just claimed from the Bucs has some huge guns. He looks like an excellent addition to the WR mix. 4.47 forty time to go with his 6-3/220 build, equals a solid pick up. Can’t wait to see this corps duke it out on the field.

27. Interesting that T-Jack said that the QB competition is “sort of out of my control.”
    Isn’t it very much in his control?
    Is he implying that the decision has already been made, regardless of how he “competes?”

28. Canfan says:

Love to read about workouts. I hope Flynn is the real deal and Wilson is a solid backup, with the potential to eventually be the starter. Of course, it would be wise to keep TJack around for at least one season.

On another topic, PFT has a post about Larry Izzo taking a dump on the Patriots sideline. One of the commenters mentioned an incident involving Robbie Tobeck and Hasselbeck. I googled it and found this: http://www.seatownsports.net/seahawks/articles/robbie-tobeck-pooped-his-pants.html

29. ruminator1 says:

funny. listened to Hugh Millen this afternoon and he was effusive about flynn. loved the ball he threw and his accuracy and his release, said the passes were like walking over to the reciever they were so on target. nice to hear

30. JazBadAzz says:

Cant wait to get that wolf grey #51 Irvin! Yea buddy!

31. rramstad says:

BSOly “Isn’t it very much in his control?”

No, I think I see where he’s coming from. He can work, and take as many reps as he can get, and show what he has… and that’s what he has control over. He doesn’t ultimately have any control at all, though, and he’s smart to know it. He’s a veteran player. The coaches will put the various QB into various slots, and he’s just gotta roll with it. If it’s a foregone conclusion that T-Jack is on the way out, then that’s what’ll happen. If it really is an open competition, then that’s what’ll happen. I think what he’s really saying is that he’s going to do what he can, but recognizes that the final decision is not his, even if he thinks he should be the starter… and maybe more importantly, the decisions around who practices with which group and all that, he can’t get too wrapped up with that, it’s a soap opera and a waste of time. Get enough rest, eat properly, show up to all the workouts, do everything you can on the field and meeting room, and let the chips fall…

32. Macabrevity says:

Love the news about the O-line… I think a healthy O-line is going to be huge for us this year. Could be the difference between a serious playoff run and another also-ran 7-9 type season. We could really surprise some teams if Flynn clicks, and the overall offensive unit stays relatively injury-free. The defense is a given, but the offense could really make a huuuuuge turnaround from last year.

33. Carson says:

Duke – Irvin was given the choice of #51 or #58 and chose #51, that’s his number. At least I hope so, because the pro shop should be carrying his jersey in about a month.

That’s cool. But it means technically he’ll have to be designated as a LB not a DL.

35. SandpointHawk says:

Well like Pete said Wednesday “Our defense is a 4-3 scheme with 3-4 personnel.” The point being Irving would likely be a LB in a 3-4. But still is odd that they gave him the choice of LB numbers….

36. pabuwal says:

DL can wear numbers in the 50-59 range and still be designated as DL.

I handicap the QB Derby this way -

40% – Jackson
    30% – Flynn
    30% – Wilson

37. SandpointHawk says:

Pabs I found that in one reference(Wikipedia) but no where else yet…but I’m done looking into it. I need to go pretend I have an interest outside of the Seahawks…

38. DreadHawks says:

All this talk is getting me pumped for the season. Is it just me or do others think we just may have something VERY Special this year???? This year just feels different, in a good way.

39. pabuwal says:

I found the Wikipedia reference also and went into the NFL rulebook where they list the numbers but for some reason they omit the DL.

40. pabuwal says:

John Abraham, DE for Falcons wears number 55. Darryl Tapp wears 55 as DE for the Eagles. Chike Okeafor wore number 56 for the Seahawks as DE.

That’s just off the top of my head – I am sure there are many more.

41. HawkfaninMT says:

I am debating betweeing Baldwin and Irvin for my wolf grey

42. khaughton says:

Getting back all of those injured players is like having a second set of draftees join the team. The Seahawks will be starting three offensive line draftees who were not playing for them at the end of last year. Let’s hope the running game gets even better.

43. SharkHawk says:

T-Jack was saying the bringing in of another QB was out of his control, they didn’t ask him about the signing, and he LAUGHED. T-Jack is obviously a good teammate, is helping Flynn and seems to genuinely enjoy being part of a team where the other QB isn’t a complete tool. He’s played with Favre who was absolutely no help AT ALL. He treated his coaches and teammates like garbage.

Flynn played in Green Bay and Rodgers had the same experience with Favre, but made an effort to be helpful to Flynn and they each made each other better.

Right there you see T-Jack and Flynn have a lot in common, have common goals, and are working together. They are TEAMMATES. I am sure Russell Wilson will slot right in and be a contributor from day 1 with his insight and defensive reading capabilities.

Some of you guys are so pessimistic and think that you can find some way to rip Tarvaris at every thing he says or doesn’t say. It is pretty old. The guy played his butt off last year and got us just as many wins as his predecessor did. Not too shabby if you ask me, especially for “the worst QB in the world” which many of you claim he is.

Samdpoint – I believe what Carroll said was that it a 4-3 scheme with 3-4 principles, rather than personnel. In any case…

Thanks for clarifying the numbers. I’m going to look into it further and get the full explanation.

45. Soggybuc says:

I hope the line Irving up as a LB for some plays. you could line him up outside of Clem and force them to change the play or shift protections. even as raw as Irvin is teams will have to respect that speed and if they have a slow footed RT contrive not to leave him on an island.
    Imagine him on Clems side! is he going up field and speed rush? or is Clem going up field and Bruce going to stunt behind him? or if I shift my protection to the left will Kam come clock me on a gap blitz?
    That right there is what gives QB’s sleepless nights.
    I would probably make a lousy D cooridinator but if I was you could count on me going all Dick LeBeau style with the young talent the Hawks have.

46. SandpointHawk says:

He is a link to the article that I cut and pasted the quote from. If the quote is wrong blame Microsoft or Farnsworth. I had left a link to this article yesterday so I didn’t link again today.

47. seahawk44 says:

I just watched some video of the OTAs on Seahawks.com and noticed that Baldwin is not wearing #15 anymore, but is wearing #89.

Does anyone know if J. Forsett has had any interest from other teams as a free agent? I am a big fan of his as a player and a person.

48. Seahawks2620 says:

seahawks44- He gave up his number so Flynn could have it.

On a random side note, it is kind of strange seeing Tate with a full head of hair.

Sand – Thanks for the link, I hadn’t read that. I was referring to Carroll’s comments when he first got here and talked about his version of the under defense. He absolutely did say “principles” at that time. But this was an interesting and good read. Didn’t mean to try and correct you unnecessarily…

50. Jusjamn says:

Thanks SharkHawk! The guy only played injured, had NO offensive line for half a year and wasn’t paid like a starter. True the guy has definite limitations, but I’m sure some of the people who bash him regularly on this site have limitations on their jobs too.

Let the guy compete, and then it can be decided. Who knows? Maybe he will start looking to his left? I just want the QB that plays the best. The Seahawks have many weapons and those 7 losses last year don’t all belong to T Jack.

51. Soggybuc says:

thanks indeed sand was a good read, looks as if the will play Irving on the left which could be good having both our rushers coming from differing directions.
    Interesting fact, I never realized Mike Sherman coached for the Hawks in 99. I have a feeling he and Philbin will put the Dolphins back on the map.
    Pete really has worked with some very great DB’s in his day. I mean he coached Merton the neck for goodness sake!

52. BobbyK says:

So playing with 4 Pro Bowlers on offense in his early days as a starter wasn’t good enough?

53. SandpointHawk says:

Duke…It’s all good….

Bobby….funny and great point.

The QB competition is going to be great and although I have a favorite I try to stay neutral because I’ve been around this game for way to long to believe I know better than the coaches…

Have a great weekend everyone and it is beer thirty in my world so I’m outta here.

54. Soggybuc says:

I’ll call it now! Flynn wins! Tavaris has skill but Flynn has skill and “IT”!
    If they retain Tavaris as the #2 I will be comfortable with that because TJ has 3-4 good games a year in him.
    day one and people are reporting that Flynn looks fluid, accurate and is making his reads with speed. say what you will about the Huge Melon but he is a guy who played in the league as well as watched Aikman up close and personal.
    The reason I never doubted Matt when he struggled early in his tenure with Seattle was a report i heard from John Clayton that Matt was the fastest at going through his progressions of any QB he had ever seen. I figured Matt was like a fine piece of prime meat, all it needs a just a touch of the right seasoning and BAM you have a meal to drool for. turns out both John and I were right.

55. BobbyK says:

I can’t say how jacked I am about having Flynn AND Wilson. I am so pumped to see Flynn play that I can’t really describe the excitement. He may not have a cannon of an arm, but I believe in him and think he’s been groomed properly so that now it’s his time to flourish. I know there will be some growing pains but I’m excited about having added to this position without having to hand out a mega-contract and having used a first round pick to make it happen (that first rounder was used on the thing we needed most – pass rusher!).

I’m also stoked about Wilson! If, for some reason, Flynn doesn’t pan out (and I think he will), there’s another guy on the team that is talented and worth developing. I know people like to talk about how someone 5-11 is too short, but part of the problem is that nobody ever gives a 5-11 guy a chance either.

For the record, I hope Wilson never has to play a meaningful down in a Seahawks uniform, as that will have meant that Flynn has been the real deal and stayed healthy, but I’m jacked that there is legit insurance at the most important position in professional sports.

56. bbnate420 says:

TremR, well by your logic I guess Turbin will be a Hall of Famer because he’s going to0 wear #22 like Emmitt Smith!

57. boycie99 says:

Bobby lets just hope Flynn doesnt turn out like the last person you was “jacked” about joining the Hawks
    Rice has been nothing other than an expensive disappointment to date, at least Flynn wont have the expensive bit if TJack beats him out as starter

58. boycie99 says:

I like the Wilson pick and can see him being our QB of the future. I think he has the ability and brains and having played behind one of the tallest lines in college has shown that his size whilst not ideal isnt/wasnt a problem

59. jawpeace says:

What I liked the Seahawk’s logo on the sleeve, the reports of Okung and Moffitt
    What I did not like “Walter Thurmond (ankle) wheeled himself around on a scooter.” Does this mean he is not even putting weight on the leg at this point? If so I see him on PUP then maybe IR this year, which is a shame as I saw real good potential from him.

60. BobbyK says:

Sidney Rice is one of the very best WRs in the NFL if he’s healthy. I’m still jacked that he’s a Seahawk and he’s only 25 years old. Actually, I haven’t bought a new jersey yet (and probably won’t, at least for quite awhile) but did buy the t-shirt today w/the Seahawk logo in front and “RICE 18″ on the back. I did by an 18 month old Matt Flynn though! I’m looking forward to watching him crawl around in it (he’s only 9 months right now).

61. BobbyK says:

If Earl Thomas breaks his leg and his career ends b/c of it, does that mean he was a bad draft pick? Granted, Rice has had more than one injury, but he’s a stud and I wouldn’t regret picking up a stud for one second, even if he were to later get hurt. Football happens to be a violent game.

62. montanamike2 says:

I’m super stoked to have both Flynn and Wilson too!
    I have to laugh at the draft experts and their east coast bias, this season is going to be awsome. Good time to be a hawks fan!

63. BobbyK says:

I have not been more optimistic for a season since 2006!

64. I am cautiously optimistic. I still see some holes on this team and we need some luck. (on the health side)

I am still concerned about our OL, WR, LB groups and until they can 1. Perform consistently and 2. Stay healthy 3. Continue to improve they could hold us back.

I don’t see them as bad but not great either.

65. montanamike2 says:

The best think Paul Allen did was to can Mora and start over with PC and JS. I’m also grateful to J. Forsett for coaxing Lynch over here and “bying in”. I think that got the ball rolling for other players to come and set the tone. We’ve never had talent evaluators like this before in the entire franchise history. We have to win the super bowl twice in a row before the rest of the country starts to acknowledge us.

66. montanamike2 says:
  67. you know if they bring Jforce back- Then every time Irvin gets a sack – JF could sell/give him a “ShowerPill” to do the wipe down

68. SharkHawk says:

BobbyK, you have beaten the horse so far to death that it now resembles jell-o. We get it. Pick a new subject.

69. BobbyK says:

Jell-o isn’t good enough. I want it beaten until there’s nothing left and he is released! Unless $4 million to suck at your job is fine by some.

70. BobbyK,

You’re hatred for Tjack is excessive. You’ve made your point and yet no matter how much you beat that dead horse here, has nothing to do with the decisions of the front office. Let’s blog about something else. Ultimately, who cares? I personally want the best QB by whoever earns it. Tjack, Flynn or Wilson (unlikely Portis) would be fine by me.

So for the rest of us, pretty please pick a different topic.

Thanks.

GO HAWKS!

71. Pabs gave odds of the starting qb as follows:
    Jackson 40%
    Flynn 30%
    Wilson 30%

I got it more like this:
    Flynn 88%
    Jackson 10% (injury to Flynn)
    Wilson 2% (injuries to Flynn & Jackson)

Flynn & Wilson are locks to make the team so it will be interesting how things play out. Is Portis promising enough that they cut TJack and his $4 mizzillon when that day comes? Do they keep the vet insurance for the 2012 season and send Portis packing? Or do they get really crazy and keep 4 QBs for one season.

Personally the Wilson pick remains a head scratcher for me. Super exicted for Flynn though!

72. jchawks08 says:

Quick thoughts on a late Saturday, post UFC on Fox, Cinco De Mayo.. lol.
    Galena, You nailed it exactly with your starting QB %’s. Day 1 (more on that later) reports are already glowing towards Flynn, and the QB competition seems all but over. Sorry T-Jack, but you are the weakest link, good bye.
    And Bobby K., you may as well chill on the T-Jack stuff. He is just a very average QB. We all know an average QB (Dilfer’s 2000 Ravens excluded) doesn’t take you very far. Continuing to harp on it at this point won’t change opinions and is beating the proverbial dead horse.
    As for the aforementioned ‘more on that later’, was there not a workout today? Was this a 1 day veteran workout or what? lol

73. Macabrevity says:

Hey BobbyK… my boy is 9 months old too, and crawling around in a Hass jersey. We go for the classics around here ;)

Oh, and ease up on the “Earl Thomas breaks his leg” talk, eh????

74. pabuwal says:

The Seahawks have a bunch of average QBs on the roster with just 1 having a potential to be great – and he hasn’t joined the team yet.

If you listen to Carroll’s comments, he is thinking along the same lines.

“I have not been more optimistic for a season since 2006!”

BobbyK- Was that BPP or APP? Lol.

Before Poison Pill or After Poison Pill.

Flynn looks like a cross between Hasselbeck and Krieg. I’ll take that combination any day!

77. Soggybuc says:

I’ll disagree with you Pabs, Flynn is the real deal. sure he only had 1 year as a college starter but what did he do with it? it was the SEC bud, not Div. 2!
    Ok so he only had 2 starts in GB. what did he do with those 2?
    A guy can get lucky sometimes sure, but every time Flynn has been asked to play he’s won.
    I am with you on RW. he’s the real deal too. I was not on that bandwagon until he was drafted and since I watched a bunch of tape on him since. it is a truth that if he was 6’4″ he would have traded spots with RGIII! and I was on the RG bandwagon all along.

78. Seems like TJack has a good handle on the situation, and is a good teammate.

Soggy – I totally agree: Flynn has the tools to be great, IMO. Until Wilson proves me wrong (which I’ll happily admit, if he does) he’s a future backup / spot starter, in this league.

80. I am still very curious to see how the LB core shapes up.

I don’t see a natural middle guy in the group – but obviously there are a few guys who can play there –

Clearly KJW can man the middle but he is better outside. Wagner has played inside in a 3-4 but that is not the same as inside in a 4-3 (where he played outside). Yes we have Rudd, who Has been good but has been injured a better part of the last 2 years and can he even get or stay healthy.

It will be interesting to see is one of the new guys plays slightly out of position, and still be better than Rudd – which I believe/hope will happen. I am not sure Rudd is really the answer anymore, but if he gets and stays healthy he will be a decent enough player and then if that does happen – Does Wagner move over and take Hill’s spot? From what I understand from listening to interviews with his old coaches and guys like Millen on the radio, that is the position most similar to what he did in college

Anyway, I think we have some good guys on the roster, but who starts where and who makes the team is very intriguing to me.

81. Ruud not Rudd!

You articulated my thoughts / concerns regarding the middle and Sam positions, exactly. For me, on defense, that will be the most interesting thing to see sort itself out.

83. Soggybuc says:

I hear ya and am with ya a bit Duke. truth be that RW, as good as his college tape looks still has to show it in the big boy league!
    but thats a truism that holds for every player. no matter your draft slot or if your a UDFA. only so many jobs to be had in the big leagues and nothing guarantee’s a guy will be good. see Hawthorn vs Curry to prove me right.
    I dismissed RW until we drafted him and then looked at his “tape” so in a way yea he is still a bit Shiny to me but when a kid looks like a man among kiddies he usually does well at the next level.

I too hope Wagner turns out to be our Lofa 2.0 and he does have a ton of help looking at how the guys behind him are a really solid unit and the ones in front, who were pretty good last year got a bit better this year.
    Think about it guys! our D was very solid in 2011 and added talent albeit incrementally.
    All Flynn has to do is get 10 more first downs a game and 2 or more redzone chances a game. that right there would have made the Hawks a 9-7 10-6 team last year.
    Turbin is a game plan saver!! thats going to be his job! if Lynch goes down we now have a guy who is suited to step and run the plays installed. Forsett and LW. as much as I love them both are not going to pull off the hard tuns inside that grill face can. Turbinator most definately can!

84. HawkfaninMT says:

Since we are being grammatically correct today…

It is LB Corps not Core… and WR Corps not Core. Thinks Marine Corps.

85. montanamike2 says:

Hey why are guys picking on Bobby for? You can’t deny we’ve upgraded two fold. One way or another we have the qb and backup qb spot nailed down. Now it’s sink or swim for Portis and Tjack.

86. pabuwal says:

If you like a guy that holds the ball too long and takes a lot of needless sacks, then Flynn is your man.

87. Then pabuwal – we will have a roster full of them. Since that is Tjack also, but would you take Aaron Rodgers on your team – I sure would and he is one of the best at holding on and taking sacks.

This is one place for a QB I think you are damned if you do and damned if you don’t.

You can hold on and take a sack or you can force the ball and get a ton of Picks (see B. Farve)

In either case, if you are good enough QB, you can over come those – if you aren’t then you will get ripped for it.

88. pabuwal says:

Jackson is also a master of this same skill. But one man on this roster isn’t.

And soon you will know him as “The Most Interesting Man in the World.”

89. tribfan1 says:

It’s Tarvaris not Tavaris.

90. raymaines says:

Last year we had a QB corpse

Why do I find it incredibly unlikely pabuwal has seen either of Flynn’s two NFL starts, and is solely off of statistics here, for his analysis?

18 posts for today so far? Wow! Must be the post draft blues!!!!!!

93. pabuwal says:

“I totally agree: Flynn has the tools to be great”

That sounds like a statement made by someone who is basing his opinion purely off statistical analysis.

No one around the NFL seemed to highly value these “tools” and Carroll is making the man with the “tools” compete for a starting job with 2 players Duke regards as nothing more than career backups. This is going to be the first QB Competition Carroll has had as Seahawks Head Coach.

Pabuwal, I actually watch the games about players I make comments like that on. Sadly, by your own admission (Griffin III, one game) you do not. I liked Flynn coming out of LSU and thought he was vastly undervalued, and said so at the time. That’s my opinion of Flynn, and it has nothing to do with stats.

95. Soggybuc says:

I think we need to start calling you NightPabs. You may indeed prove to be right in the end but damn man, let us at least get to camp before you crush our optimism.

96. pabuwal says:

Duke – Are you saying RG3 dialed back his abilities during that bowl game? Because not one play did he even look at a second option. He was one read and run. He was the quintessential spread quarterback.

I watched both games Matt Flynn started in their entirety. I certainly wouldn’t be pounding the table against his “elite” abilities if I didn’t watch him at all. Because I know you guys will let me have it when I get it wrong on my QB evaluation.

He is an average quarterback, just like Jackson is. They aren’t terrible and they aren’t great – just like most quarterbacks out there.

Oh please… I’m not getting involved with your hyperbole any longer. We’ll just let the play on the field sort this out. Of course, I’m sure you’ll have a different spin at that time.

98. RDPoulsbo says:

I didn’t get onto the Flynn bandwagon until Barkley and Jones decided to go back for their senior year. IMO, that made him the 3rd best option available this year after Luck and RG3, both of which were unrealistic options anyway. Even if you threw Manning into the mix, it has since been proven that was an unrealistic option as well. Tannehill has a lot more red flags than Flynn had and certainly wasn’t worth a #12 or even #15 pick. The Dolphins may have been desperate, but when you base picks on desperation, you tend to get bad players.

I’m not sure what other options you would have preferred pabuwal, but you’re pretty much left with sticking with T-Jack or taking Weeden in the 1st round. We can complain about moves all we want, but they don’t happen in a vacuum.

99. pabuwal says:

Dukeshire: “I totally agree: Flynn has the tools to be great”

Yeah, no hyperbole here.

Carroll actually thinks Wilson is the QB with “the tools to be great” and thinks Flynn is an average QB. I’d rather have Carroll in my corner on my QB analysis and have you disagree with me on this one.

It’s simply my opinion. You however, frame your opinions as though they’re fact. Case in point: “Because not one play did he even look at a second option.” False and hyperbolic.

101. pabuwal says:

I’d love to see that one play you think occurred in that game where RG3 actually looked at his second option.

Send me a tape of the game and I’d be happy to break it down for you.

103. pabuwal says:

My best bet would be to find it on YouTube. I deleted it from my DVR a few weeks ago along with the GB/Detroit game I had recorded.

104. bird_spit says:

Can’t wait for this season to begin..we need pads on , and broken face mask stories..

105. RDPoulsbo says:

I generally discounted RG3 for most of the season for the typical reasons of spread offense and limited starts, but the Texas game is what sold me on him as a a special player. Incredible pocket presence, escapability, and good accuracy all with the limited experience he has. He has a few things he needs to work on like knowing his limitations when throwing on the run, but that’s pretty minor and can be easily coached.