Schneider on Tannehill at No. 12: “He’s not going to be there.”

Post by Eric Williams on April 19, 2012 at 5:00 pm with 51 Comments »
April 19, 2012 5:01 pm

Beat reporters who regularly cover the team had a chance to talk to Seattle Seahawks general manager John Schneider this afternoon in preparation for next week’s draft.

As usual, Schneider was entertaining, informative yet vague enough in answering questions about what Seattle will do with the team’s six picks that he really didn’t give any secrets away.

But he did offer up some interesting tidbits regarding the team, and his overall thoughts on the draft.

On the possibility of selecting Texas A&M quarterback Ryan Tannehill despite the team’s financial commitment to Matt Flynn and Tarvaris Jackson, Schneider said the Seahawks would take him at No. 12 if he were available.

“He’s a really good player and he’s got a great upside,” Schneider said about Tannehill. “We would definitely consider him (at No. 12). Just because we’ve done these things, the guys know – it’s no disrespect to Tarvaris, or Matt or Josh (Portis) at all.

“The guys know at some point we wanted to get this thing rolling where we would be able to get a younger quarterback in, and kind of getting them going, whether it’s in the first round or second round or however it comes.”

But Schneider isn’t expecting Tannehill to last until the 12th pick of the opening round.

“It’s fun to talk about, but I mean he’s not going to be there,” Schneider said. “You know, I think he’s going to get drafted pretty high.”

Schneider also likes where Seattle sits at No. 12 in the first round of this year’s draft.

“I look at 12 as kind of like – and I think other teams may look at this way too – that at 11, 12 and 13 there’s a little bit of a ledge there. There’s a little bit of a difference in players. So if we want to stay and pick, I think it’s a really cool place to pick.

“But if somebody does something that’s real attractive and we feel comfortable with the way we prepared, we can go back, too. But we feel like we’ve covered some things where we can go ahead and just take the good players that come to us.”

Schneider talked about having just six picks this year, the lowest number the team has had since he’s been running the draft in Seattle.

“There’s nothing we can really do about it,” he said. “Like I said, if something were to happen and people came to us with something that was a great option for us, we would have to do it. Otherwise, I just think we’re in a really cool spot.”

He pointed to linebacker, running back, quarterback and defensive line as strong areas of depth in the draft.

“Quite honestly I feel like if I was a free agent linebacker this year I would be a little bummed out,” Schneider said. “There were a number of very qualified free agent linebackers, unrestricted guys. And then this draft compared to last year looks completely different. There’s good numbers up there at the linebacker position.”

In terms of selecting a linebacker in the first round, Schneider said he doesn’t value the linebacker position any more or less than any other position like cornerback, defensive end or offensive tackle.

“That’s not our philosophy,” Schneider said. “We value that position as highly as any other position.”

Schneider had this to say about linebacker David Hawthorne ending up in New Orleans in free agency.

“We kind of approached it like, ‘Look, this is where we are. And if we can’t work anything out, as hard as it is for both sides, we probably need to move on,’” Schneider said. “And that’s what happened.”

Schneider highlighted two stats that have the most affected on winning games since 2007 – turnovers and explosive plays – and pointed to finding players that most affect that category in the draft.

“If you have what our guys upstairs call “daily doubles”, and you hit both of those you have like a 96 percent chance of winning the game if you are plus in those categories,” Schneider said. “So is it a ball-hawking defensive back? Is it an end that’s going to put pressure on the quarterback? Or is it another receiver that can get down the field, or a runner? What is that combination – that’s kind of like what’s going through my head right now.”

Interviews, NFL Draft
  1. i am getting SO excited for the draft in 1 week! I am very happy with the FO and what they are all about. Now is a good time to be a seahawk fan.

Just 1 favor: Draft LaMichael James! That would add some hoemrun hitting speed to the offense.

Enjoy reading all the regulars posts-

2. freedom_X says:

I think it was Dave Mahler who was talking to a media person who works in the Jacksonville market today on sports radio.

That Jacksonville-based person said that word is locally, Seattle is trying to trade up for Jacksonville’s #1 pick. I didn’t catch the whole segment so I don’t know the name of that person whom KJR was talking to, unfortunately, but perhaps it’s archived on a podcast.

3. JazBadAzz says:

JS is a cool dude, I like how he talks about the draft and the possibilities like he’s done it a million times. I do think he just saying the politically correct thing when it comes to drafting Tannehill. 12th is way to high in my onion.

4. JazBadAzz says:

I just don’t see how you could justify paying that much money to one position if we take Tannehill that early. T.Jack guaranteed contract, Matt Flynn’s and then the rookie deal for what ever that money would be slotted to. Josh would obviously be the odd man out. Just my thoughts.

5. OregonHawk says:

“turnovers and explosive plays – and pointed to finding players that most affect that category in the draft.”

This really struck me!!(like light bulb going on) Who was that DE who had the most strips? Mercilus??

6. The only thing that worries me about trading up for Tannenhill is having to trade our second rounder. If we don’t get a pass rusher in the first round, it’s too important to get Vinny Curry, IMO, in the second round if he falls there. We can’t leave the first two rounds without having drafted a pass rusher no matter what. And, sadly, I think it’s probably 10-20% chance that Curry is available when we pick in the second.

7. HawkfaninMT says:

Trade up to Jax spot, eh? The only way I see that happening is if Blackmon is still on the board. Rumors are that it COULD go: Luck, RG3, Kalil, Richardson, Claiborne, Cox… Leaving Blackmon to the Jags if they want him.

Wonder what the cost would be?

8. Yeah, I like the way Schneider handles himself too. Like the way he’s dealt with our free agent especially. We keep the guys we really want to, and hold the line at the value we’ve set for guys that we like, but are replaceable. Seems like he does things the right way.

9. They still had the “turnovers” and “explosive plays” philosophy last year and ended up taking two OL with their first two picks.

I really think that there will be a good chance that the Vikings could be trading their #3 to Miami because of Cleveland and their interest in Tannenhill.

That would mean that the vikings would pick #8 and probably pick DeCastro! Dam! If the Vikings don’t get him the Chiefs almost certainly will. Dam!!

11. ryanryan says:

I feel like the rams would take Blackmon before cox…I’m thinking that if the trade rumor to get the jax pick would be to get cox, I’d be happy with that…i love his film, great motor and effort every play. Wonder what the price is,

12. ryanryan says:

I feel like the rams would take Blackmon before cox…I’m thinking that if the trade rumor to get the jax pick would be to get cox, I’d be happy with that…i love his film, great motor and effort every play. Wonder what the price is.

13. ryanryan says:

déjà vu…iPad strikes again

14. Georgia – I don’t think the Vikes would take DeCastro if they had the 8th pick. I would bet they would take Reiff or one of the WRs.

15. ryanryan says:

*if the rumor were true, it would be to get cox…derrr

16. DisplacedSeahawkFan says:

Tannehill is so overrated IMO. I mean, I’m cool with taking him in the second, or maybe trading down and grabbing him late in the first (an unlikely scenario I know) but to get him at 12? It just seems to me that the only reason he’s even being considered as a first round pick is because teams need QB’s, but after Luck and RGIII I really don’t see any QB’s as first round prospects. I hope JS is really just throwing a smoke screen by talking about Tannehill. Really, unless we draft Decastro, Kuechly, or maybe trade down and grab Dont’a Hightower, it will be a busted draft for me.

A quick note about Dont’a Hightower. I’ve watched some of his highlights and he is a force at ILB. He can rush the passer, and is a violent hitter. Him in the middle flanked by Hill and Wright would give us a dominant LB corps again. Moreover, I live in Ohio and there are a lot of Steelers fans here. They really want Dont’a Hightower. Snatching him up before the Steelers can would be icing on the cake.

BobbyK- Perhaps not, however it is just one more threat to my pipe dream of seeing our O-line make a complete recovery from the good ol days of Walt and Hutch! Lol.

18. I like Flynn. I think he has the best chance to be successful sooner because of his experience in the NFL – even if he only has two NFL starts. I am very happy with him moving into the future.

I think Tannenhill has a higher ceiling though and won’t be mad if they draft him. Preferably, I hope he and DeCastro are both gone when we pick so we can hammer on a pass rusher early (and maybe often if Curry is available in round two).

19. HawkfaninMT says:

Looking at the trade value chart, It looks like our 1st 3rd and 4th to move up to the 7 spot…. Too rich for my blood!

Too many good players at 12 to give up that many picks in a draft where we are already short one.

Floyd, Kuechly, DeCastro, Upshaw, Coples, Ingram…. We will have our choice of some of these guys @ 12, and the upgrade from any of them to Blackmon is not worth our 3rd and 4th

Here is an interesting mock 6 round mock draft.

Walter football- Charlie Campbell

This guy picks all defensive players for the Seahawks.

1.- Quinton Coples-DE

2.- Zach Brown- OLB

3.- Billy Winn- DE/DT

4.- Ron Brooks- CB

6.- Trenton Robinson- S

A draft like this may put us over the top on the Defensive side.

So many ways to go!

And we are less than a week away!

21. Psychman says:

I would rather pass on Tannehill and take Weeden in the 2nd or 3rd, although I don’t think he will last until the 3rd round. I think Weeden is a much better prospect than Tannehill.

22. owenbytheway says:

ryanryan you ain’t cryin, cause you are on the money.

just keep repeating your mantra.

trade with jags is for our first, third, and next year’s third most likely.

cox will be a 5 technique for us, maybe shift to that position at times.

hawkinmt, you can’t see the forest for the trees. Every other guy has warts (coples, ingram, upshaw, metcilus, …. just keep running down the list.

cox is only riser among DL guys, everyone else is slipping.

the basic ingredient of a PC defense is filled by cox and his measurables, intangibles, and the flexibility he offers.

as for a qb, Ryan Lindley in the fourth.

23. I really don’t think Pete Carroll, with two losing seasons in Seattle and two “failed” NFL stints before that, has the luxury of drafting a QB in the first two rounds. He may survive another losing season, but it’s no guarantee.

If you were in his shoes, would you draft a QB in the first round or would you get a dominant player at another position? I just don’t see how he would draft Tannehill if one of the top DEs or LBs is available.

24. raymaines says:

About six days and twenty two hours until Seattle makes their first pick. I’m guessing it will be QC

25. owenbytheway says:

and if they can’t trade up to get Cox, unless Upshaw is available, methinks they will trade down with Cleveland or Cinci as likely trading partners.

26. freedom_X says:

*If* Carroll and Schneider think there’s a dominant player at another position when they pick, and *if* they don’t think Tannehill is a franchise QB in-the-making, they’ll go another direction than QB.

But a quality QB is vital for Carroll to take the next step, halfway into his 5 year contract. So if Carroll thinks that Tannehill really is a franchise QB (who knows if all the gushing he’s doing is legit or a smokescreen) then Carroll has to draft him if he’s available. Or make a move to ensure he gets Tannehill.

Personally, I still think Tannehill is a 2nd round talent, but it’s what Carroll thinks that matters as far as what really is going to happen.

27. Psychman: “I would rather pass on Tannehill and take Weeden in the 2nd”

Rumor has it that is the debate at the Browns FO. Will Holmy take Tannehill at 4 or hope for Weeden at 37?

28. wabubba67 says:

Thinking that the steady stream of praise from the Seahawks for Tannenhill is a thinly veiled attempt to either make another team more comfortable with a Tannenhill selection 3-11 (thereby sliding at least one additional talented player Seattle’s way at 12), or to create a trading partner in case Tannenhill is actually available at 12.

Another team might be willing to trade with Seattle if they really feel that the Seahawks might take him….right now, without the praise, there is no reason to believe (with Flynn and Jackson signed) that Seattle would be that team.

29. If they were interested in Tannenhill, I can’t believe they would have shown the interest that they have after keeping quiet about their first round intentions last season.

I can’t believe all of the love for Weeden. He’s going to be 30 in a couple of years and did not run any type of NFL offense in college. Just because he’s old (and never worried about playing QB in his early twenties) doesn’t mean it’s going to be easy for him to pick up an NFL offense.

Even if he develops the way you’d hope a franchise QB would, he’s going to be at least 30 before he actually hits his prime. By that time, it’ll be time to get close to finding his successor. I’d rather draft a guy who you thought could give you more than 5 good years at QB.

I’ll take T-Jack over Weeden any day of the week for the Seahawks! And I don’t like T-Jack (as a starter).

30. I have to agree with jazbadazz. Picking another QB that high would be a waste. There are way to many other needs on this team to use a 12th pick on another QB

31. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

bobby , weeden is already a better QB than tjack. curt warner was six months younger when he took over for the rams, i do believe that worked out rather well. i still wouldnt take him till the third thou and if he was gone he is gone.
    i think if decastro is there and the F/O doesnt want him they will be able to get that trade down, prob clevland as holmy does put a premium on a great guard.

For those that haven’t found it yet.

I thought this was a nice tool to have for the draft.

33. We can agree to disagree on Weeden. He’s never played in the NFL or been in an NFL system against NFL players. His college offense has done nothing to prepare him to play in the NFL and when he was busy playing baseball, he was getting no mental football reps or anything. He’ll be 29 in his rookie season and, again, won’t be in his prime until his early 30s. By the time he’s on the top of his game, it’ll be time to find someone young enough to be his successor. I’d like long-term stability at the position. Even though a guy like Flynn is only two years younger, he’s ready now. He’s been in the NFL and in a system that will be easy for him to transition to in Seattle (not to mention two good NFL starts under his belt — one in which the Packers benched one of their best OL and their #1 and #4 WRs, and starting RB; some due to health reasons).

34. RDPoulsbo says:

Ok, so we’ve seen rumors that JS wants to trade up, trade down, and happy to stay where they are. That’s a damn good fog machine he has up and running. My money is on them staying right where they are. It’s pretty expensive to get up to Jacksonville’s spot and the cost of another team moving to 12 is too high for the value. Especially if people want Floyd, that 10-16 area will be mostly defensive players, if not all. It’ll be cheaper for another team to trade for a spot below Seattle.

I think Tannehill will before #12. If not at #4 with Cleveland, then they would use their ton of picks to get past Miami. I don’t think he’s worth a 1st round pick though. It’s going to be more of a sign of desperation than anything. For that, he gets the #2 spot on my most likely to bust list after Reiff. Someone’s going to start him before he’s ready and he’s going to fail and a FO is going to clean house.

The turnover thing is why Mercilus would be my 2nd choice in the 1st round. The secondary is pretty much filled up in terms of starters, so the next area to get TOs is through fumbles up front. 17 FFs in 2 years is crazy. For that, I can overlook his size.

35. You can pretty much see that most every other team (besides Indy and DC) is willing to trade up or down or stay pat, too. It’s not we’re sending signals differently than any other team.

“He is so serious he sometimes thinks a high-five after a touchdown is too frivolous because it might break concentration,” Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck said at the NFL Scouting Combine when asked about DeCastro. “But the person he is hardest on is himself.”

As Stanford coach David Shaw has described DeCastro, “He arrives angry and focused and expects everybody else to be the same. If he thinks something needs to be said, he says it and when he speaks the players listen.”

How can we not draft this guy if he is still available at 12?

37. RDPoulsbo says:

Weeden is an ok guy, but there’s nothing I see in him that would make him a WCO QB. Maybe he’d fit in SD, Dallas or NO, but they’re already set at QB. I have a healthy skepticism of spread offense QBs. They work at the college level because CB quality isn’t great and that’s what the spread exploits. OSU’s scheme probably depends on that more than any other college program. Time and again, you hear that the biggest difference between the college and NFL level is the quality of CBs. Spread QBs in college get away with a lot that would usually be picks at the pro level.

38. I agree with wabubba67’s line of thinking. If a team trades above #12 to get tannehill (or Miami feels more comfortable taking him due to lots of interest from other teams) then a DE or other player they want may slide to them.

39. I agree, Georgia. I’ve heard/read similar comments from others about his attitude too. We lost more than a great LG when Hutch left. We lost someone who wouldn’t take crap from anyone and would get in their face, no matter who the person, if he felt something needed to be said. Those ass kickers are tough to find. I think those ass kickers are even more important to have on your team when you have a team coached by Mr. Happy, who has a history of not being above average at penalties in his current job or his former stints in the NFL in New England and New Jersey. He would bring more to the table then simply being a great guard. That’s why I wouldn’t/couldn’t pass on him at #12 if it was me drafting even with the knowledge that a pass rusher is a billion times more important for this team than a guard. I would give up almost anything for a DeCastro/Vinny Curry first two rounds of the draft. It’s too bad there’s no way Curry will make it to our second pick though. I don’t think we are going to be able to have our cake and eat it too. Since pass rush is so important, I still hope someone takes DeCastro before we have the chance. Gotta get that pass rusher!

40. Weeden? Really, did he even take a snap under center last year. By the time he catches on he’ll be like 33 or 34, ridiculous. Like Bobby said, we would be looking for another QB by the.

As for the Tannenhill talk, it’s all BS. The FO knows what they got in Flynn. I think they are predicting that Tannenhill falls to them and are making it out like they would draft him so they get some offers to trade out of the pick.

41. I agree. The way they kept all the Carpenter stuff super secret last year there’s no way (I don’t think) they are going to come out and say/show they are interested in him. We’re going full steam ahead with Flynn… and it’s going to be fine.

42. Decastro is a stud, if we pick him, I’d be happy, definately would need to get a pass rusher next, even if it meant trading up. If the Tannenhill theory plays out, I’m hoping for Mercilus in the first. And like I said on a deferent thread, if we stand pat and grab Coples, I wouldn’t be mad, think he just had a lot going on last year and that’s why he looked the way he did, well I hope.

So could the FO be keeping DeCastro a secret? Lol.

Now they could move up and get Vinny Curry in round two.

44. If they move up in round 1 it will be for DeCastro.

45. I don’t think they can afford to trade up for a position of non-need. That would take another pick away from what their needs are that they didn’t address by trading up.

If they do draft DeCastro, I can see them (having) to trade up into the later part of the 1st round or early in the 2nd for one of the pass rushers that may still be on the board like Mercilus, Perry, Curry, or whoever. They may not want to, but they would almost have to if the pass rush is going to be addressed properly.

Again, easiest thing to happen is for DeCastro to be gone:)

46. mojjonation says:

Someone, somewhere, says you don’t draft a guy because he looks good in shorts and a t-shirt. Read: he didn’t have great numbers in college but looked good at the combine. You don’t draft underwear models. Miami is more desparate than Cleveland for a QB after missing out on EVERYONE.

So when it says guys are mvoing up the draft board when nothing is going on, that has to be just pure speculation or that someone who was rated better than them has dropped. When this all started Tanne was a 2nd rounder, then a low first, then a middle first, then a top ten, and now possibly the number three pick. All because he looked good at the combine and half the draft needs a QB.

Saying drafting Tanne at 12 if he is there is not an insult to Flynn, TJ or Portis, is just that. An insult. That means you do not have faith in the 2nd or third stringer because, let’s face it, Flynn WILL be the starter at the beginning of the season.

No way on this green earth that Blackmon is there at 12. You better be top 6 if you want him.

47. Southendzone says:

No Tannehill please, not at #12, not at #7, not with a spoon, not by the moon, not in a train, not in a plane. I do not like him Sam-I-Am.

And Weeden with any pick is also a waste. Almost zero upside to a 29 YO rookie who played in that offense.

48. wabubba67 says:

The more I learn about DeCastro, the more willing I would be to try to slide in front of either KC, Buffalo, or Carolina to get him him….if I was convinced that I had good intelligence that one of those teams was definitely going to draft him and if, as a GM, I was in love with him (I am). Couldn’t cost too much to move up 2,3, or 4 spots in order to get a dominate left side for the next 10 years.

49. Soggyblogger says:

The question is: Would JS totally lie to us that he has actually spoken to Flynn, TJax, and Portis regarding the possibility that they will likely draft a QB? I think not. Also, this FO has been adamant that they are always looking for a QB. I take them at their word. So if they really like Tannehill and say they would draft him if he is available at 1.12 then I believe that is not smoke and mirrors. If they drafted Tannehill then they might put Portis on the practice squad. Or they could wait until after the camp and make a decision as to the possibility that if Tannehill looked good enough and was progressing fast enough that they could then trade anyone of our QB’s though I would be surprised to see them trade Flynn at this point. I am thinking Portis or TJax becomes expendable if Flynn and Tannehill look ready after camp. Or not. They could keep 4 QB’s for one year or they could put Portis on the practice squad.

50. shwatcher says:

Do not forget Nate Potter lineman Boise State. Did a darn good job of protecting Moore. A quiet individual that does his job without a lot of yap. These guys come out and shine and study well. Watch him

51. My guess is, from what JS said, is that if they pick at 12 they will pick the best player available. To me that means that a DE will not be Seattle’s first pick. I keep arguing that just because Seattle does need to improve it’s pass rush, they should not reach or gamble at the 12th spot with Coples or any of the other options. The best player at 12 could be Decastro. Seattle’s O-line has been a mess for years, and even last year was set back with injuries. Add Decastro to the line (Carpenter is still questionable)and that group could become very special. I love what I read about Decastro’s mentality.
    Or the best player available at 12 could be Keuchly. I also love what I hear about this guy. The only hitch against him is he struggles to shed blocks from bigger players, never mind he led the NCAA for two years in tackles, so it can’t be that big of a problem. Seattle’s D-Line did a great job keeping blockers off of Hawethorn the past two years. I think Keuchly could be special under PC’s Defensive scheme.
    Word has it that CB Thurmond has had a set back from his injury. There could possibly be 3 top CBs available when the 12 spot rolls around. I know, secondary is not a need, and we just resigned Trufant, with Maxwell from last year in the wings as well, but I do not think PC or JS will shy away because the unit is good enough, when they could make it even better. Especially if the Rams take Blackmon or Floyd.
    Which brings me to my final possibility. What if Blackmon or Floyd were available at 12? Even though Seattle has a pretty deep receiving corps now, would PC and JS be willing to add to a potentially good squad (Rice stays healthy, Williams gets back on track, Tate continues to improve, but those are still three question marks for me)and make that squad potentially better.
    One last possibility is that Seattle does get an offer to trade down and picks up a late 1st round and extra second round pick. Then it gets interesting. Would Seattle at that point double up on the DE/OLB hybrid and work them into the spot that seems best? The the second pick would most likely be RB to back up Lynch.