A few minutes with Michael Brockers

Post by Eric Williams on April 11, 2012 at 10:46 am with 14 Comments »
April 11, 2012 10:47 am
LSU defensive lineman Michael Brockers runs a drill at the NFL football scouting combine in Indianapolis, Monday, Feb. 27, 2012. (AP Photo/Michael Conroy)

LSU defensive tackle Michael Brockers reportedly was scheduled to visit the Seattle Seahawks according to Aaron Wilson of Scout.com.

At 6-6, 322 pounds, Brockers can play both nose tackle and 3-tech, or pass-rushing defensive tackle. Brockers also could be viewed as a defensive end in a 3-4 defensive scheme.

The Seahawks currently have an interior defensive tackle rotation of Alan Branch, Brandon Mebane, Jason Jones and Clinton McDonald, but they could still use some depth inside.

I don’t think Brockers would be the pick for Seattle at No. 12 because they already brought Jones in, but if Seattle were to move down in the first round I could see the Seahawks taking a look at him.

I sat in on the interview with Brockers at the NFL Scouting combine in February and he seems like a pretty good guy.

Brockers had decent production in his final year at LSU. He started 13 games at defensive tackle and finished third on the team with 9.5 tackles for loss.

Brockers posted a 5.36 in the 40-yard time. He bench pressed 225 pounds 19 times, posted 26.5 inches in his vertical jump and 8 feet, 9 inches in his broad jump. Those are decent numbers, but do not show real explosion for a big guy.

Brockers, who also played defensive end at LSU, talked about what his best position is at the next level.

“I’m more comfortable at 3 (3-tech),” Brockers said. “Nose is for bigger dudes, I feel. I can play that if you want me to play that. I feel like if I do play the 5 and get out to end, I have to get used to the space. A couple practices at 5, I’d get it down there too. But I feel very comfortable at 3.”

The problem I have with Brockers’ statement is when you watch the video below of him playing against Alabama in the National Championship game, I don’t think Brockers is an elite pass rusher from the inside. I think right now his best position might be as a nose holding the point in the run game, or as a five-tech like Red Bryant holding the point against a tight end on the perimeter of the defense.

And so I don’t think he would be a good fit for Seattle as it stands right now, unless the Seahawks see him eventually emerging as a player that can consistently rush the passer from the inside.

NFL Draft
  1. I was all over Brockers back before the combine but man his numbers were a huge disappointment. He’s only started 1 year and although he does have some good individual moments on tape I agree with your overall assessment Eric he’s not a good fit here.

This draft is really difficult to predict as the Hawks can go so many ways. I might have to actually try to decode Pete’s tweets this year instead of my usual random dart throws.

I share Eric’s sentiments, here. I like Brockers in general, but less so for the ‘Hawks. He would be a developmental guy. That is, selecting him with the presumption he will become an interior rusher from 3-tech. (I can’t imagine any scenario where Seattle take a NT, anywhere in the first.) Seattle need a player who can pressure from their base set, consistently. Brockers may become that guy, but that’s a pretty big leap, IMO. If Seattle had more of a presence at either end position, in terms of getting the QB, then I’d be far more comfortable with him.

3. I thought Brockers would put up much better numbers at the combine. His stats there were pretty mediocre, but in the games I watched him play, he looked to be getting pretty good pressure. I think Fletcher Cox is a more likely pick for Seattle.

If they wanna take a risk on a guy that doesnt seem to fit what they do here, I’d rather see them go with Dontari Poe. That guy is huge, and he is a lot stronger and faster than Brockers. Still, his game tape isnt that impressive–its all potential at this point. Brockers long arms may be to blame for only putting up 19 reps, but 19 reps for a 322 lber just isnt impressive at all.

I would be pissed if we passed on Mercilus or Ingram for Brockers at this point, and even moreso if Floyd or DeCastro are there.

4. I didnt mean to imply I watched a bunch of tape on either Poe or Brockers. I watched a few games of Brockers, and Poe I never heard of till the combine–but it seems all the “experts” agree that he’s been a chronic underachiever. And combine hero’s rarely work out–think Mark Mamula and Vernon Gholston.

I’d rather Seattle picked others, as I said.

5. He could easily be a guy that slides into the late first or second round (when it seemed he was a top half of the first round guy a few months ago).

6. RDPoulsbo says:

Based on this video, he played mostly at 1-tech with a few snaps at 5-tech DE. He seemed pretty assignment sound in gap control, but not much actually called to get up field and rush the passer. He would doubled up all day long and looked good, though he started looking winded toward the end of the game. He’s definitely 1st round worthy, but I have to agree that he’s a better fit at 1-tech or 5-tech in a 3-4.

This is a better view of him playing 3-tech. Again, solid against the run and decent 1st step, but he relies more on his size to overpower guards and seems he can’t shed blockers very well to get upfield quickly:

7. JazBadAzz says:

He’s got versitility, I value that. He would not make an impact his first yr. He would probably be called a bust by some guys that frequent this site…kinda like the Carpenter comments! *face palm*

8. JazBadAzz–Carpenter is not a bust, but he surely is a major disappointment thus far, his injury notwithstanding. Brockers is a strange dude, too slow right now to be a great 3-tech or 5-tech, but it does look like he could lose 20 lbs and perhaps get faster. He’s also taller than most DT’s, and would perhaps need to add weight (and esp. strength) to play NT. But he’s a football player, whatever his combine stats say.

Personally, I think Seattle’s looking at Fletcher Cox. Misdirection. Then again, they were hanging around Carpenter last year and no one believed they had him rated ahead of Carimi…I still cant believe it!

9. JazBadAzz says:

Brockers is only 20yrs old. His ceiling is very high, and that’s why I think a lot of people are high on him. I kind of shy away from potential type picks, to much of a crap shoot!
    I think Carp came in over weight, and when he got in shape he started playing well. He got hurt soon after, and I still think he will be very good at RT.

I like Cox aswell, he can be a monster day one!

10. Nighthawk3 says:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, any use of the 1st round pick on anyone other than Luke Kuechley or David DeCastro is a waste of the pick (presuming they’re both, or either, on the board at 12). If one or both are on the board and they blow this pick on Brockers, Ingram or some other flavor of the month that is not a high priority, and defensive tackle is not a high priority, then the whole front office should be fired. The only possible exception might be Dre’ Kirkpatrick since Walter Thurmond’s rehab has been set back.

11. All I know is thank god NIGHTHAWK3 isn’t running the team! This team would be playing in SO CAL by now if that was the case!WOW

My question is: is Nighthawk3 Nighthawk2’s son? I believe he has one in college, so it’s a possibility. That would be incredible.

13. PostalBob says:

Is he going to be the BEST athlete left at 12?

14. Perhaps Nighthawk just keeps changing his login, either due to paranoia or maybe he got banned and had to come up with another email address/login. Or maybe he’s like me and forgot his password and his email got shut down…I prefer the conspiracy theories though, much more fun. Though I cant imagine what he’d get banned for, his comments are usually a riot, and often pretty insightful even though I often disagree with his opinion.

I dont get the freakout over Kuechly, he’s not even a great athlete. Big numbers at Boston College dont always translate to NFL superstardom. And at 12, we should be getting a superstar. I like Coples (think upside galore), Floyd, and DeCastro. But Im not opposed to Fletcher Cox, Mercilus, Ingram, or Perry either.