Morning links: Mike Williams on the mend

Post by Eric Williams on March 23, 2012 at 7:28 am with 63 Comments »
March 23, 2012 7:28 am
Seattle Seahawks receiver Mike Williams. (AP Photo/Ted S. Warren)

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com talks with receiver Mike Williams about his disappointing 2011 season, which ended with a broken left ankle against Chicago in December.

Farnsworth reports that Williams is rehabbing the injury after having surgery to place a plate and four screws in the fractured leg. Williams said he’s pushing to return to the kind of performance he had in 2010, when he led Seattle in receiving.

“Last season was just kind of a lost season for me,” Williams said. “It was a missed opportunity. This offseason is an opportunity for me to get back to what I want to do.

“I can only move forward, because they didn’t get a lot out of me last year. Injuries or whatever, the bottom line is they didn’t get a lot out of me. So I’ve got to make this season a better one.”

Steve Kelly of the Seattle Times writes that Seahawks general manager John Schneider has done a right job of putting the right puzzle pieces together his first three years in Seattle.

Brock Huard of ESPN 710 Seattle grades the Seahawks on the team’s offseason so far in this video link.

Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune reports that Chicago free agent cornerback Corey Graham, who visited with Seattle, will sign with Baltimore.

Rob Rang of NFLDraftScout.com attended Stanford’s pro day and offers a nice rundown of Andrew Luck’s performance, along with the prospects who competed there like tight end Coby Fleener.

Boise State running back Doug Martin and defensive end Shea McClellin reportedly performed well at the team’s pro day.

Former Seahawks tight end Will Heller re-signs with Detroit.

In the latest addition of the Real Robinson Report, Ricardo Lockette gets some Face Time, and says to watch out for No. 83 this September.

Morning links

I didn’t realize Williams’ broken ankle was that severe. Hopefully he heals because he can’t afford to get any slower.

2. seahawk44 says:

To me, wide receiver is the least worry position on the team. I believe that Kris Durham will pass wrs on the depth chart and become a starter opposite Rice with Baldwin playing slot. I think he is that good.
    Cornerback, on the other hand does worry me due to lack of depth and high injury potential. Everyone remember the 06/07 playoffs. Pete Hunter signed off the street. (Although he did play great against Dallas) Those were key Injuries and lack of depth that played a part in not going back to the superbowl.

3. I agree – if Mike Williams falters at all, Kris Durham will be given every chance to take his spot.

4. DisplacedSeahawkFan says:

Ricardo Lockette hasn’t done enough to make videos like that. He needs to catch a few more T.D.’s, without juggling the ball, before he tries to front like that.

5. Ewalters7354 says:

The reason he juggled the ball was because the DB tipped the pass.Cmon bro why do we always down our hawks?Ricardo Lockett looks like a big play player in the making.He is crazy fast with a big body.Bye bye Deon Butler.

6. Agreed Ewalters…Even tho i’m not a huge fan of talking yourself up and being cocky, i do honestly believe Lockette is a stud in the making. Another sleeper that the FO went out and got. Dude is fast as hell and his hand-eye coordination is unreal. Big things coming for him. Believe 12’s, believe!

7. The people who feel BMW dropped off last season are the folks who either A: didn’t go to the home games, or B: didn’t pay attention during the home games.

BMW was open all day long last season, T-Jack never even looked his way. It seemed like T-Jack finally started to target him in at the very end of the season, but then this injury happened and killed that momentum.

Schneider on our soon to be starting QB!

“His confidence, his demeanor and his competitiveness are impressive,” Schneider said. “He’s one of those guys who’s always kind of under the radar a little bit, but when he’s called upon he just goes in and kicks your ass.

“He didn’t truly dazzle anybody in the spring workouts, but when you watched the film, what was he doing? He was keeping plays alive. He was using his eyes, and he was making correct decisions. And he was accurate. (Green Bay coach) Mike McCarthy told me that nothing fazes this guy.”

9. GeorgiaHawk,

Is Schneider describing the qualities of a franchise QB or is he talking about Matt Flynn? I think we got a winner this time. I can’t wait till we can get Flynn on the field and here reports of how he looks.

10. We actually have our QB! I still have to pinch myself sometimes.

After reading that article it dawned on me how I have basically forgotten our receivers for the most part. Seems like all we had was Baldwin last year making it through unscathed. There is a lot of room to grow with that group. Rice, BMW and Butler need to get healthy. Tate is entering a “show me” season #3. Durham and Lockette are just pups. The O line was decimated and still managing to at least run block later in the year. Add Flynn and even without any other additions you’ve got to feel like this offense is going to grow a lot over the course of the season.

It would be hard to imagine more people getting injured on one side of the ball than our offense suffered last season. Get healthy!!!

11. Long time lurker — props to Eric for bringing the blog back from the dead following the dark days after Sando’s departure for ESPN.

Speaking of seeing Flynn on the field, have the Hawks announced OTA and mini camp dates yet?

The season can not get here fast enough.

12. bird_spit says:

I would think every one of these receivers, when they heard of the Flynn signing, just flat out had the best day of the last 365.
    BMW..with the injury, could be looking at a career change. That is pretty major. These elite athletes get the elite treatment medically as well, so anything is possible.

twillis – Welcome aboard. Here are some of the dates I know (I’m sure Eric can fill in the blanks):

April 16: Start of offseason program
    May 11-13: Rookie minicamp
    May 22: OTAs start
    June 12-14: Mandatory minicamp
    June 15: End of offseason program

Audible- Schneider is describing the qualities of Flynn. It was taken from the Steve Kelly link up above. I’m not much of a Kelly fan, however this was a good read, imo.

And it’s only fitting that we have Flynn as our next franchise QB. Isn’t that the Seahawk way? To have their best QB play coming from either late round draft picks or undrafted free agents.

From Zorn to Krieg to Hasselbeck, and now Flynn! Love it! You could probably throw Kitna in there too.

Don’t you think it’s about time we get a break from injuries? It’s about time for some other team to get them like we have the past few years. ( I’m thinking 49ers ).

I better take that back! I may be charged with intent to start a bounty!

16. BMW to TE & Durham starting WR. Problem solved!

17. tchristensen says:

It would only make sense to trade a couple of their wide receivers and get something for them now instead of releasing them in July. BMW to Tennessee would work for all parties.

18. guiltybystander says:

Mike Williams had his one big season in Seattle, now he’s back to being the underachieving space-eater who was out of a job before Carroll pulled him off the scrapheap. Who cares whether he comes back or not? Anyone placing high hopes on him is delusional.

19. tchristensen says:

I agree with your assessment of Mike WIlliams but perhaps a reunion with Hasselback would do him good. Personally, I don’t see him doing anything this year if he;s with the Hawks. I believe people will be amazed how Doug Baldwin and Golden Tate’s production is going to increase with Flynn throwing them the slants all game long!

Unless Tate takes a significant step forward, this will be his last season as a Seahawk. They don’t need two slot receivers, even if they have different tools, and I confident Baldwin will only get better.

21. I agree Duke, I have a hard time seeing roles for Tate because of Baldwin, Butler because of Lockette and Williams because of Durham.

I think Tate hangs around this year, but Butler and Williams are on very thin ice. and if they draft another receiver….. they go for certain.

22. Macabrevity says:

@guiltybystander

Don’t judge BMW too quickly… everyone should’ve seen a drop off coming for the big guy once Hass was let go, and we were down to HurshySquirt and T-Sack in the QB competition of the millenium. BMW isn’t the type of WR that gets open, doesn’t need to… and T-Sack just ain’t gonna throw to someone who looks like they might be covered. I think Flynn has shown the ability to put the ball up for a covered WR over the outside shoulder, where the CB can’t make a play. There were a couple of decent passes in that Detroit game and the NE game as well, but you have to sort through all the screens and dump offs to find them. I feel pretty good about Flynn utilizing a big target like BMW.

23. NYHawkFan says:

For whatever reason he’s crediting, I’m glad that BMW admits to having a lackluster season last year. That means he’s hungry, and will make every effort not to repeat it this year. Bodes well for a return of the BMW we all know and love.

24. @Macabrevity – ” HurshySquirt ” Bwahahahaha! That was a good one!

25. butler isn’t any good, a stiff breeze knocks him off his route. bmw is slow, but effective when the ball is thrown his way. 38 targets is rediculous. i agree with duke in that he better not come back any slower…sweet baby jesus.

@macabr – hurshysquirt and t-sack in the qb competition of the millenium, that s**t was funny, what a couple of hacks.

sidney ‘peanut brittle’ rice had better stay healthy this year or it’ll be his last too.

26. I love Mike Williams for his comeback efforts and being our best receiver two years ago.

But you have to admit, most of his seasons are very unproductive. Even his best wasn’t that great – 750 yds. Hes consitantly injured….. maybe he does well again this year, but don’t be surprised if he doesn’t.

27. i am going to have to see something from durham before i get excited about him, he’s done nothing that has made me believe in him.

28. HawkfaninMT says:

I think Floyd would serve two purposes… Replace BMW, and be insurance against Rice’s injury he’s almost bound to have.

I wouldn’t hate the pick… So many options in the 1st this year that I will be ok with! Love it!

29. chrisj122 says:

BMW is never gonna be a pro-bowl reciever but I do think he can come back and be productive. I don’t think T-Jack has the confidence or the accuracy to utilize a reciever like BMW.

Just like most, I’m really stoked about landing Flynn but I hope we arn’t setting the expectation bar to high for a 1st year starter. I’m sure he will have some ups and downs in the first couple years. I don’t expect really great things from Flynn until year 3 (last year of his contract). I hope when the season starts (anticipation is gonna kill me) everyone keeps that in persective but I do have confidence that we have found our franchise QB.

30. I’m a BMW fan and believe that he still has value for the team. We shall see how he does with Flynn. TJack just didn’t look his way much. Although BMW has had a few bad drops, he has pretty good hands and positions himself well, even if he doesn’t get much separation. We could do a lot worse than BMW as one of our six WRs.

After signing Flynn, I’m not even that psyched about the draft anymore. I’m just looking forward to seeing him play. If the Seahawks can get a pass-rushing stud (like Aldon Smith) in the draft, they could be Super Bowl contenders this year.

31. tchristensen says:

I agree with your point Duke, Tate and Baldwin probably won’t be on the field at the same time, but I do believe Tate’s production will go up this year with Flynn throwing the ball. Tate was pretty darn good when he had Jimmy Clausen throwing to him at Notre Dame. IMO, Tate had more potential than Lockette. Lockette reminds me of Jordan Kent from a few years ago and we all know how all that “potential” panned out.

32. tchristensen says:

“has”

33. BMW needs to quit going Chunk-mode in the off-season. Otherwise PC will need to go all Fratelli on his ass.

34. Someone else suggested BMW to TE? Is there any potential in that? It seems to make some sense.

35. BMW doesn’t get much separation, but he uses his height and long arms to make catches, while shielding off defenders with his body.

This means it’s a much tighter window to get him the ball. Hasselbeck had no problem putting the ball in there, but T-Jack doesn’t have the accuracy or confidence to make those throws. I think Williams will become productive again with Flynn throwing him the ball this year.

36. HawkfaninMT says:

I think he played some TE in Tenn but his inline blocking was severly sub-par… If memory serves me

37. Ewalters7354 says:

Golden Tate actually made a pretty good leap last season.He and Doug Baldwin were really our two best receivers.I think he’s a keeper.

38. The best thing BMW did last year was serve as a mentor to younger WRs. Lockette described BMW helping him study film before game 17 to get the kid ready. (the kid looked mostly lost that day but caught a deep post TD I’m sure everyone remembers) That kind of leadership is important on a young developing team like ours, I think.

But I can’t blame TJack for not giving BMW more targets. When was Williams open? He’s was like an open invitation to interceptions, with defenders draped all over him.

I like Durham a lot and he has the height, but I would love one more tall WR with some BMW-like size and strength to battle for the ball. We’re lacking that now.

39. … and I was talking about ‘week 17′ not “game 17″ for all those wanting to call me an idiot. Not that you’re wrong, but it was just a typo.. ;-)

40. I’m in full Hawk mode right now and can’t stop watching this….. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBHk9rc4hHc

Goose bumps everytime i watch and listen..wow

41. “it’s only fitting that we have Flynn as our next franchise QB.”

Oh man, I love your optimism GeorgiaHawk! Or is the juice flowing early in Georgia today? Cheers!

If Pete and RePete thought Flynn was a franchise QB, they wouldn’t have offered him a minimal salary and let him fly to Miami for a better offer. If Flynn’s former coach thought Flynn could be a franchise QB, he would have made a competitive offer instead of passing on him.

Flynn will have his hands full in August trying to prove he’s a better QB than TJack. I can’t wait for training camp.

42. Lumpkin signs with Hawks.

43. nighthawk2 says:

Just read about Lumpkin on KFFL. I guess he’s the consolation prize because Marion Barber retired.

44. CDHawkFan says:

I wonder how many teams picking from 4 to say 20 will give the old ‘he was the top rated guy on our board’ crap…with Luck and RG3 already taken?

45. SandpointHawk says:

$hit Lumpkin the Pumkin would sign with the Spokane Shock of the arena league, if they offered him a contract….

46. SandpointHawk says:

That’s Lumpkin the Pumpkin….

47. Dont know if anyone has posted this before, but Ingram is a beast!

As injured has he’s been throughout his college career and so far in the NFL, I’d be surprised if he sticks. For me, this really does nothing to address the very real need behind Lynch, as a complimentary back and someone to spell him throughout the season (and insurance, should he go down).

49. SandpointHawk says:

Right you are Duke…fodder for sure…

If Flynn doesn’t produce this year the FO can trade 3 first round picks to the Colts for their #1 overall pick in the 2013 draft and select Barkley.

51. Those sports science things are hilarious. Though I must admit, I really like Ingram too. Crazy that he can do a back flip at 264 lbs.

52. nighthawk2 says:

Yeah, good thing we didn’t sign a guy that sucked, like BenJarvis Green-Ellis, or Michael Bush, Mike Tolbert, or La’Ron McClean.

53. nighthawk2 says:

Melvin Ingram to me is an outside linebacker in 3-4 (at 6’1″ and 266) not a defensive end in a 3-4.

54. nighthawk2 says:

“not a defensive end in a 3-4.” S/B “…in a 4-3″.

55. Nighthawk–I think its pretty obvious that Seattle is having a hard time getting dudes to come visit, let alone sign them. And they wanted Bush, but Bush signed for a pretty high amount of money, more than Seattle likely has budgeted for Lynch’s backup. Green-Ellis isnt exactly a great back either. Tolbert took less money than SD was offering to go back down south–no way he was coming here for what the Seahawks could offer.

JS and Carrol obviously want to get a TE and RB to backup Lynch in FA, but unless they drastically overpay, their top choices are going elsewhere.

Seattle will have to win a playoff game two years in a row before anyone wants to play there. Thats just how it is when youre in Siberia. Plus, I wonder if the lack of discipline/penalties/game management issues Carrols teams are plagued with are scaring folks off too…

56. I really like BMW, and I blame a lot of his disappearing act on Jackson. While Mike isnt going to get wide open all the time, he got open, and Jackson often never even looked his way. Jackson is terrible at checking down, going thru progressions, looking off safeties, etc…

Its worrisome that he’s got screws and plates in his foot. Doesnt bode well for a guy not exactly known for speed.

As for Durham, anyone who says they really like him is basing that off college highlight reel Youtube video’s from three years ago, nothing more. The guy did NOTHING all year. Even the games he played, where he caught THREE passes all year, he played badly. I watched him last year, and he looked confused, lost, and definitely not ready for the NFL. Not saying he wont make it, but he showed exactly nothing his rookie year. Even Golden Tate made some plays his rookie year, and he sucked.

If Seattle is smart, they will give Butler major playing time in preseason, and BMW too, and try to trade at least Butler for something, anything. Sad thing is, teams know he’s worth trading for, but also they know Seattle is unlikely to keep him, no matter how well he does in preseason. That means another team is likely to land a high-ceiling slot reciever prospect for free.

I love Michael Floyd, and wouldnt be surprised or angry to see us nab him, though if a pass rusher they like is there I think they go that route, and get a WR not quite as good in the second round.

As bad as our pass rush appears to be our pass protection is just as bad.

DeCastro!

DeCastro!!

DeCastro!!!

58. raymaines says:

Doug Baldwin seriously exceeded our expectations as an un-drafted rookie free agent, but he didn’t get inducted into the HOF or anything. Lets slow down a little bit here.

Mike Williams has four screws in one plate in his broken ankle. Heather Salk has 15 screws in two plates in her broken leg. Lets see who’s up to full speed first. Not to dis’ BMW or anything, but go Heather!!

Seriously though, I think the SeaHawks receivers are a better group than the national media seems to think.

Jerry Rice’s greatest skill was that he could stop and then re-start faster than anybody else. Lots of people are almost as fast as Recardo Lockett, lets see how he develops as a receiver. This is a football game, not a track meet.

Geoux ‘Hawks

59. I believe that Kris Durham will pass wrs on the depth chart and become a starter opposite Rice with Baldwin playing slot.

I love to see that people have confidence in guys but – um based on what – the 3 times he actually was active last year. I saw nothing to think this guy was the next coming of anything.

Durham, tate, Butler, etc reminds me of all “oh these guys are gonna be great” group we had that did exactly . . .. . well pretty close to NOTHING – at lease OBO became a solid ST contributor out of that group

60. Let’s see, what changed from 2010 to 2011? Oh ya, Hasselbeck was QB in 2010, T-Jack was QB in 2011.

So it doesn’t surprise me that BMW, who was the team’s leading reciever in 2010, got less than 40 targets in 2011. He can’t throw himself the ball and T-Jack can’t read a defense.
    “When Mike has single coverage – he’s open.” – Matt Hasselbeck

I love Baldwin, but he had the advantage of working from the slot (right in front of T-Jack), so of course he flourished in 2011. T-Jack can only throw to what he SEES, no anticipation or recognition ability. Let’s not forget that Brandon Stokely had a career resurgence in the slot in 2010, but was not even re-signed. Slot receivers are bail-out options that the QB can see when scrambling or getting pressured. Baldwin is likely going to continue to be a stud for us in the slot because he finds openings; however his numbers may come down some in 2012 with Flynn at QB.

I am excited about Flynn because, like Hasselbeck, he is more of a risk taker (and capable QB), he will throw the ball where he expects the WR to be. A trait that will allow BMW to get a whole lot more targets. I actually think BMW is expected to be a very key cog in the passing game with Flynn at QB. He can be (if healthy) the TD maker PC wants and proved in 2010 to be a first-down machine. He also blocks well for the running game.

It’s lazy to point to past problems that a player has gotten over, BMW wasn’t overweight in 2011. He is not going to play TE either.

If Floyd or someone else was drafted, that would mean another developmental prospect – WR do not usually contribute heavily in year one.