Morning links: No decision on Flynn; Smith visits Miami

Post by Eric Williams on March 18, 2012 at 8:20 am with 51 Comments »
March 18, 2012 8:49 am

The NFL free agency period continues to take more twists and turns than a daytime soap opera today.

Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald reports Matt Flynn intends to make his decision between Seattle and Miami in the next few days, according to his father Alvin Flynn.

But here’s where things get interesting. Izzy Gould and Omar Kelly of the South Florida Sun Sentinel report that San Francisco’s indecision at quarterback has led to Alex Smith taking a trip to Miami this morning. They even have a picture of him arriving at the airport in Miami.

UPDATE: I need to give props to Seahawks blogger Davis Hsu for actually breaking the Alex Smith story. Hsu was on the same red-eye flight from San Francisco to Miami as Smith, and alerted the media in Miami. Hsu’s twitter timeline is worth reading.

I wrote on Friday that Smith would make sense in Seattle if the Seahawks did not sign Matt Flynn because the team was interested in his services last year before ultimately landing on Tarvaris Jackson. Well, it appears the Dolphins beat Seattle to the punch.

Or, perhaps the Dolphins have lost out on Flynn and are moving on to the next candidate.

Kevin Lynch of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that Smith is now considering switching agents. He shares the same agent as Tom Condon, and has concerns that Condon is not working in his own best interest with Manning serious considering signing with San Francisco. Smith reportedly was offered a 3-year, $24 million deal from the Niners, but has not signed it and remains a free agent.

Mike Klis of the Denver Post reports that Peyton and Ashley Manning are celebrating the couple’s 11th anniversary in the Smoky Mountain in eastern Tennessee, which is the reason he threw for the Titans in Knoxville on Saturday. Manning reportedly will make a choice between Tennessee, Denver and San Francisco on Monday or Tuesday.

Joe Fortenbaugh of the National Football Post delves into the conflict of interest isse for agent Tom Condon, who represents both Smith and Manning.

Former NFL Scout Greg Gabriel writing for the National Football Post has an interesting evaluation on Illinois defensive end Whitney Mercilus, who could be a good fit in Seattle.

Jason La Canfora of the NFL Network reports that Chicago free agent cornerback and special teams payer Corey Graham is visiting Seattle today.

Morning links
  1. SeahawkFan12 says:

I really REALLY hope Manning doesn’t go to SF, but if he does, I’d welcome Alex Smith here. He’ll have enough rage and focus and just may blossom under this system. Could be an excellent fit. Man I hate the 9ers….

2. JazBadAzz says:

Alex Smith is going to find another agent! Can’t meet with teams if you don’t have one! Stop before you guys get started!

Whitney Mercilus is a bad dude, even before his breakout season, I live in bigten (leaders and legends) country and watch this young man get it done! 12th is to high compared to what he’s competing against. Wish we had 4 picks in the 1st rd but got to work with what you got! /insert:that’s what she said here!/…

Good morning and have a good day absent stress!

3. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

if flynn signs with miami he is an idiot. they have no recievers for him to throw to. teams will stack the box and blitz everydown

4. tchristensen says:

It would be great to sign Alex Smith away from San Fran and then have Manning choose Tennessee

5. I will be pissed if the hawks reach out for smith, you can’t go from whitehurst to Jackson to smith. If Seattle pulls that shit, we’re f*cked because it shows that this regime dosent take the qb position serious. That can’t happen can it.

6. DreadHawks says:

Best case scenario IMHO, Flynn to Seattle,Smith to Miami, Manning to Tennessee and the 9ers have to rely on a unproven untested 2nd year player. We destroy them in the regular season and win the NFC West!

7. bayareahawkfan says:

I agree, 12 – Niner fans are already unbearable enough as it is, considering as they do that they clearly would have won the Superbowl last year, but for a small little detail of tightening up vs. the Giants like the Kings in that Game 7 vs. the Lakers many years ago (still widely and ruefully recalled in NorCal).

If they got Manning the whole of Northern California will be would echo with the sound of chest thumping from now until September.

I don’t want Smith in Seattle, but I was in SF for his entire career up until moving out of state last year, and I can verify that he’s been completely **** on by that organization for most of that time.

I wish I could say that he might be motivated to pay them back if he weren’t there next year, but I think he’s been broken by his years there. I think it’s probably more likely that he’d meekly resign with them even if they signed Peyton.

8. tchristensen says:

I bet the 49er’s would somehow end up with Hasselback!

9. Worst case scenario, smith comes here and pc and js get relieved of there duties the following year.

10. Southendzone says:

I don’t want Smith either, he’s barely an upgrade over TJ (If that even).

BUT! I think we should bring him in just for strategic purposes so that Miami or SF gets nervous.

11. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

tru blu, smith’s game is better than tjacks in several areas, mobility, pock awareness and he most importantly can hit a reciever down the middle. tjack is a joke and smith is an upgrade no matter what anyone thinks. the last about 4 games he showed a huge amount of growth where as tjack seemed to regress. hell i would rather see portis start atleast there he is learning and growing something tjack cant do. lets face it tjack has hit his ceiling.
    also if manning goes to tenn., flynn miami, we take smithh san fran is screwed aswell and leaves the hawks in the driver seat for the division.

12. bayareahawkfan says:

But all that said I agree that it would be awesome if Smith finally had had enough and forced the Niners’ hand by signing with Miami, Peyton signed with TN, and then SF had to roll with Kaepernick next season.

Coupled with their first place schedule, teams could now game plan against a whole season of tendencies, and we could see the Niners regress back to the mean. That would infuriate and confuse their fans, kick a couple wheels off the bandwagon, and most satisfactorily of all push Harbaugh to his breaking point.

One could reasonably then hope for a Singletary-like meltdown.

13. If the hawks take smith, 9ers won’t be the only team screwed and the sad thing is tjack will beat him out for the starting spot.

14. If Manning signs with the Broncos, I like to think we might take a run at trading for Tebow, this guy has the big arm, is very athletic and seems to be a fast learner. Also the guy has a lot of following around the country which would not hurt the Seahawks brand.

15. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

trublu you really believe tjack could beat out smith? thats funny. seriously smith can make throws tjack wont or cant such as slants. if we can get him he is a better bet than any QB we could get in the 1st round. lets face it as the line got better tjack got worse i went back and wathed some games and he regressed as the season went on.
    i wonder if some of that wasnt that he realized whitehurst wasnt going to be compitition anymore.
    reguardless the D kept us in miost games where a good QB gets you the win, tjack failed eveytime where as smithh didnt and got those wins. that should be enough right there but for some reason its not. lets face it most of smith sucking was brought on by his inviroment not him. bad coaches one right after another if yoyu remember he looked great when norv turner was the OC carved the hawks up.

16. Seahawks2620 says:

hoxvox- Tebow to Seattle won’t happen.

17. bayareahawkfan says:

I feel comfortable in categorically guaranteeing Tim Tebow will never don a Seahawks uniform, even as a camp fodder QB, or as a ST-er or even a FB.

If people are up in arms about T-Jack’s inconsistency, imagine the reaction to a QB who can’t complete a 5 yard out pass to a wide open receiver 3 out of 4 times.

18. boucherm says:

hoxvox-shut your mouth, curses on what you just wrote.

19. bayareahawkfan says:

Also the Seahawks “brand” is fine, and would in nI way be improved by bringing in Tebow.

We don’t need stunt casting at the most important position in sports, we need a real QB.

20. Like I said before,,,,,Who’s got it better than Kaepernick? lol

21. Flynn needs to be smart enough to realize that he’s got a great line in Seattle, a good TE, good WRs (great if Rice can stay on the field), and the Beast to run the ball.

He’d look good/great in this offense. This offense is ready to set someone up to look good (even T-Jack, to a certain degree) and he’d have a great defense to boot.

With the signing of Jones, it has really solidified our DL on the interior. Also, with it only being a one year contract, he’s going to play his butt off and have a great year and want to come back. By the time he signs his next contract, he’s going to be one of “our” guys like a Big Red, Robinson, etc. Our own guys that we lock up.

Really, if we sign Flynn and get an edge rusher at #12, it’s not out of the question for us to think about the Super Bowl.

Back to the Flynn thing, even if he isn’t getting offered a deal for what he hoped to get, sign one now and do great and then the big one will come. He’d be set up a heck of a lot better here than he would in Miami. You’d think he’d be smart enough to realize this, even if his former OC is in Miami with crappy weapons (of which they didn’t have in GB, b/c they were much better).

22. boucherm says:

Also, if Peyton’s in TN and Smith has gone to Miami (or elsewhere), Hasselbeck’s a 49er. They’re way to close to actually play w/ Caepernick.

I really hope Smith signs with Miami, for two reasons: 1- that takes him out of play for Seattle. I can’t see any aw possible he replicates, forget about improving, last seasons production. Put simply: he’s awful.

2 – It would bring Flynn back into the fold. Something I thought would be impossible when he left Seattle.

24. Macabrevity says:

Didn’t see Mercilus play last season, but the stats speak for themselves… and ya gotta love the name!! If it came down to Mercilus vs. Ingram at #12 (assuming pass rushing hybrid DE was the choice) who do you guys like better? I like them both, although I keep reading how Ingram has alligator arms, he seemed dominant at the senior bowl. Still for me, I think Mercilus is a potential JPP-type game changer.

25. Macabrevity says:

I’m with you Duke, Smith signing in Miami bodes well for the Hawks. Everything he did right last season was Harbaugh in my mind. I could be wrong, but not a big fan, and would rather see Flynn get left with us as the only option.

26. SeahawkFan12 says:

BobbyK, your last post about Jones entering the fold on a 1-yr contract/ playing his butt off and Flynn signing here for a modest contract and playing his butt off for a bigger contract is one of your best posts. I completely agree, and hope that is how it plays out.

I have said that I support Smith coming here because I think he could thrive in new environment, and he’s have a huge chip on his shoulder. That said, he still sucks.

I just hope Manning signs with Tenn, and hope Hasselbeck does NOT sign with SF. That would hurt.

I still have hope that Flynn signs in Seattle and we get an edge rusher in the 1st round. I also would support trading down to pick up some picks in the 2nd and 3rd.

I can hardly wait to see how the next 48 hours play out!

27. bayareahawkfan says:

At first I saw the Smith visit as a purely good sign, that Miami saw the writing on the wall and needed to protect themselves. But the more I think about it, I think his visit is just mutual leverage creation (Miami putting pressure on Flynn, Smith on the Niners).

Seahawks haven’t even offered Flynn a contract yet according to reports I read this morning. And on the surface, as someone here pointed out, he’s not a natural WCO fit – his best year before last year’s was in the Coryell digital offense under Norv Turner.

Now that said, Mike McCarthy was Smith’s QB coach that first year in SF, so Philbin could theoretically get all he needed to assess from that connection. So I suppose their interest could be genuine.

I guess we’ll see in the next couple of days.

28. OK OK I would mention him again.

29. I like dreadhawks scenario also! It would be nice to see the chips fall our way for once.

bayarea – I think you ment to say Smith isn’t a natural WCO fit, rather than Flynn.

31. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

Garrad visiting miami aswell, maybe flynn isnt as highly thought of as we assumed.

32. Best outcome:

Flynn signs with Seattle, and also drafts a QB.

Manning flirts with SF, then signs with Tennessee in exchange for partial ownership. Vols fans deserve to have Peyton back in TN for life.

A pissed-off Alex Smith signs in Miami

SF, with egg on their face, starts the season with Kaepernick at QB.

33. tchristensen says:

And the Hawks trade T-Jack to San Francisco after drafting Kirk Cousins to back up Flynn.

34. BobbyK–Seattle has a great offensive line?! Whaaaat?! Uh, compared to what we’ve had for the last five years, perhaps. But compared to the rest of the NFL, they arent even average yet. They flat arent good in pass pro, and while we had some good run-blocking games, they remained inconsistent. What we have is a below-average pass pro, and average to slightly above run blocking line. The one thing our line has going for it is youth, and the fact that they are improving and have a high ceiling. But they arent good yet. Just ask Peyton Manning.

Hate him or not, ALex Smith is a better qb in every way than Jackson. If we miss out on Flynn, I wouldnt hesitate to sign him. He may never be elite, but he’s proven he can win games in the fourth quarter.

35. Flynn really liked Pete Carroll, according to his father in article. But he has a lot of familiarity with Philbin. There are a bunch of different things for Flynn to consider, and if he chooses Miami, it won’t be because the Hawks screwed up and didn’t offer him the right stuff. Comfort is a huge issue. Having worked with someone you know and like for four years has got to be a huge factor.

I do wonder about the conflict of interest for Condon. It does seem that Smith is being shat on by his agent and the niners. I really hope whoever gets Manning loses him to a tweak injury early in the season. I am not worried about the niners getting him. Remember when he lost the playoff game to Pittsburgh and threw his offensive line under the bus? (I think it was that year, when Hawks went to SB.)

I can live with Flynn. I can live with Smith. I can live with TJack. I can live with Hasselbeck. They just need to draft another QB to start grooming. Unless they think Portis is it.

Not worried about Matt Hasselbeck going to niners. He’ll get a hip injury walking it into the endzone and be out half the season.

36. If Smith really has higher potential than TJack, I think the difference would be marginal. Same might be true of Flynn, as TJack might really give Flynn a run for his money. I think we’ve seen the best season Smith will ever have. I think TJack and his offense will be improved over last year. No one can say how good Flynn will be.

These guys are all “good” QBs. But I think we still need to draft our QOF.

37. Eric – have the Hawks shown any interest in bringing Jimmy Wilkerson back?

38. bayareahawkfan says:

Duke – thanks, you’re right: my whole post there was about Smith not Flynn.

Sorry for any confusion.

Those who are in support of Smith hav very short memories. Signing him, for me, would be worse case scenario, in the FA market. I’d rather go with Jackson and draft a QB, whether it be Tannehill or Cosins, or whomever.

Seattle’s like as at worst as good as the “league average”, if we’re looking at the season as a whole. And they have the very real possibility of becoming one of the best in the league, in a very short time. Very young and very talented. I believe it’s an attractive component to any potential FA QB.

*line*…

41. SeahawkFan12 says:

Duke, let me be clear: I am not saying we go after Smith nor am I psyched at the prospect of him playing for us. i am simply looking at it from a “lemons into lemonade” perspective. Ideally, I’d rather he stayed in SF.

I’d rather he stay there as well, too. Actually, I really hope he goes to Miami so Seattle has another shot at Flynn

STTBM- I’m with you concerning our o-line. We don’t Know yet if Carpenter will pan out. And all those injuries! Were talking about everyone of our young O-lineman having season ending injuries in just their first or second year.
    If they don’t continue to have injuries and give them another year or two playing together then we can start talking about them being great.

Now if the FO wants to fast forward their potential greatness, then by all means draft Decastro.

Wouldn’t it suck if Smith signed with Miami and the 49ers lost out on Manning, then the 49ers make a play for Flynn just when we think we had him in our grasp.

So many ways this can play out.

45. Hey guys, this just hit the wire. More good news in the Flynn drama…

Dolphins to meet with ex-Jags QB Garrard

Didn’t see anyone else mention it yet, so forgive me if someone has.

46. RDPoulsbo says:

The only reason I can think of about the Smith interest is they are trying to put pressure on SF with their QB situation. They have the opportunity to cause trouble with the team and his relationship, so they’re going to do it. How much longer can they pursue Manning if Smith is currently in Miami?

No way, no how would I want that guy in Seahawk Blue. He’s already shown what he can do in Mike McCarthy’s WCO in 2007. 48.7% completion rate in a McCarthy WCO? Really? Come on, there’s nothing good about signing Smith in Seattle.

47. Thank you rdpoulsbo, smith a hawk, all my frisco homies would be laughing.

48. Smith to visit Seattle,,rotoworld

49. Alex Smith coming to visit the Seahawks next. Don’t we already have too many crappy starting QBs? I thought we wanted to “comPete” with good players at a position? Isn’t that the mantra? What’s up with the dogcrap that we’re scrounging for? At least Flynn has potential to be “the guy.” The only thing these jokers has shown is that they will never be very good. But, hey, at least we can say that don’t suck as bad as they used to. Heck, if that’s the case, lets sign some craphole we dropped a couple of years ago when he was 22-23. I’m sure they have improved by now, even if they aren’t good enough.

50. SandpointHawk says:

Good laugh this…

CSN Bay Area’s Matt Maiocco has also suggested the 49ers could reunite coach Jim Harbaugh with free agent Josh Johnson, formerly of the Buccaneers. Johnson was Harbaugh’s quarterback at the University of San Diego.