Whitehurst returns to San Diego

Post by Eric Williams on March 16, 2012 at 5:09 pm with 84 Comments »
March 16, 2012 5:38 pm
Seattle Seahawks quarterback Charlie Whitehurst runs up the middle for a four-yard gain agains the San Diego Chargers during the first half of their preseason NFL football game at Qualcomm Stadium Thursday, Aug. 11, 2011, in San Diego. (AP Photo/Mark J. Terrill)

After two years trying to earn a starting job in Seattle, Charlie Whitehurst returned to where he started, agreeing to a two-year deal with San Diego.

The Seahawks traded for Whitehurst two years ago with the Chargers, swapping second-round picks and giving up a third rounder with the hopes that the Clemson product could develop into the quarterback of the future.

Whitehurst won an important game for the franchise and showed promise in helping to defeat St. Louis in the final regular season game of 2010, a 16-6 win that propelled Seattle into the playoffs.

But the Seahawks went with Tarvaris Jackson as the starter in 2011, and when Whitehurst did get another chance against Cleveland, he struggled in a 9-6 6-3 loss on the road to the Browns, signaling the end of his time in Seattle.

NFL free agency
  1. goodbye chuck!! you never did squat for us. well, you did play half a good game against the giants i guess.

2. oh yeah, forgot about the rams game in 2010. that cleveland game was so bad it’s pretty much all i remember.

3. Are you talking about the defensive minded 6-3 loss to Cleveland last year? The sad thing I watch that entire pathetic game last year. I must of did something bad in another life because I couldn’t get myself to stop watching the train wreck of a game that was.

Whitehurst, Carrolls first year, Jackson his second, now talk of Smith in year three!

5. Best of luck, Charlie! Thanks for all the… great memories of… great hair and… 97 yard passing games…

ಠ_ಠ

Some of the comments on Sandos blog just crack me up!

“Where did the rumors of Alex Smiths small hands come from?”

” Probably his girl friend.”

Well that my friends, is the definition of a failed experiment.

8. Kelly Stouffer Part II

9. JazBadAzz says:

With this fail, people are begging for another! Pete realize that they made a mistake and are doing their due diligence to avoid similar ones!

10. Don’t you remember everyone last year chanting for Whitehurst to be the starter and calling Caroll an idiot for not giving him a chance to start?

11. SeahawkFan12 says:

Best Seahawks news I’ve heard all day. Maybe all week. Naw, the Micheal Robinson re-signing is better.

12. freedom_X says:

Good thing Whitehurst was the start of the Carroll/Schneider personnel record, not the norm, and they’ve made plenty of good moves since.

I suppose that Whitehurst move sticks with me because I disliked it strongly from the beginning. Since the current regime has never come close to overpaying since, I’ll assume that really was Whitehurst’s market value at the time, though I couldn’t imagine he was worth what Seattle paid (both in trade and in $$$$) at the time. And still can’t.

13. seahawk44 says:

Quick Poll
    Choose one of the following available free agent veteran QBs to join the Seahawks:

A)Alex Smith
    B)Rex Grossman
    C)Matt Leinart
    D)Donovan McNabb
    E)Brady Quinn
    F)David Garrard

14. Georgia says “Were upgrading inch by inch here. By the time we get a good qb Carroll and crew will be in their 10th year of rebuilding this team.”

It’s nice to have an opinion, but I think you know it won’t keep going this way.

Come on guys and gals, we have no control over what the FO will do. What we need to do is just relax and look forward to what we do, and then support the team this year, and all the years to come.

Go Hawks!!!

15. HarbaughsMother says:
  16. A)Alex Smith

The only one who makes sense for us, if we decide to go that route. I’ve already went through the FA QB’s, and he was the berst fit for us.

17. “Jesus”

Is that your pick for our new QB? Any evidence this magic man ever existed, or exists today?

Since the answer is NO, please choose again. :)

18. seahawk44 says:

Tim Tebow was not on the list

19. “Tim Tebow was not on the list”

Not an available FA.

20. freedom_X says:

I thought “Jesus” just signed with San Diego. That’s what this blog entry is all about?

21. seahawk44 says:

I was referring to the Jesus remark

22. SeahawkFan12 says:

Alex Smith. I’m serious. I truly believe hat if he is available, he will do well here. I do not use the word ‘hate’ much, but I do HATE the Broncos and even more so, the 49ers. If Mannign signs with the 49ers, I can not guarantee my continued respect for him as an athlete or a man.

I supremely hate the 49ers.

On an irrational level.

Yes, I probably need therapy with that.

23. Based on the choices – Leinert

24. Why not put the best available FA QB? Matt Flynn.

25. seahawk44 says:

I would have never thought it would/could happen, but if Manning signs with the Titans, Smith signs with the 49ers, and Flynn with the Dolphins…..Hasselbeck may be brought back to “compete” for the starting job with TJack, Portis, and a drafted rookie.

I know there are mixed opinions on this, but it is better than a high percentage of options that are available to the Seahawks for QB.

26. seahawk44 says:

BobbyK …. I purposefully left Flynn off the list to show what slim pickings there are if we lose out on him to bring in a vet to compete with TJack. And I only put the former starters.

So …. which of those would you choose?

27. Hawksince77 says:

Flynn sightings over at Field Gulls:

Breaking:

28. Billy Volek was released which means that SD actually did think highly of Whitehurst and wasnt snickering at Carroll the whole time.

29. RDPoulsbo says:

Looks like Atari Bigby just re-signed. 2 years, $2.5 mil.

30. Atari Bigby sigend a two year deal with San Diego.

Too bad….. I liked Bigby.

31. “Just heard a buddy of mine spotted Matt Flynn, Carroll, Cable, and Okung at a bar… Dino’s about a half hour ago”

Funny, I just heard he was in Miami getting ready to sign a contract.

32. maddog12 says:

Sorry Charlie

33. Seahawks2620 says:

blocis- Wonderul, one more hole to fill.

34. Seahawks2620 says:

Free Agency this year has been insanity! Just sign with someone Matt. Please.

35. Anyone here an expert at College QBs? We are going to need one to guide us on the prospects after Flynn signs with the Dolphins.

I’ve watched the the last games of Luck and RGIII and a few games of Russell Wilson so I don’t have much to add here.

36. Tannehill would be nice at 12, but I suspect he may be gone.

37. rynehawk says:

I would have thought he would wait until Easter to make his return. Seems a bit early to me.

38. Guys, don’t give up on Flynn. Won’t surprise me if he ends up being a Seahawk.

39. 44 – I would take Alex Smith, but I’m not proud of saying that or thinking he’s the best option. I would rank McNabb #2 at this point. However, let me be clear when I say that McNabb is washed up and sucks at this point. This is only if we’re trying our best to win in ’12.

40. “44 – I would take Alex Smith, but I’m not proud of saying that or thinking he’s the best option.”

Ok, what’s the best option? We draft a QB (which I’m sure we’ll do anyway) and hope for the best? Keep TJack as his mentor until he’s ready to start?

41. raymaines says:

I’ve said it before, but that won’t stop me from saying again that the last couple of weeks has been the very best reality show ever. Drama, suspense, intrigue… It has it all, and I don’t even have to watch the TV. We are all so invested in the characters, care so much about the outcome, and so little is actually at stake. It’s perfect.

The NFL is so wildly popular right now that I’m reminded of the Tech Stock buying frenzy in the late 1990′s. Absolutely every living soul on earth was digging under the mattress and couch cushions to find a little extra money to throw at the stock market, kind of like how we are all hanging on every Twitter feed on http://www.fancloud.com/nfl/nflchat right now. Then in April of ’99 the unthinkable happened. The stock market just died. The bubble burst! Could there be a “Post NFL” era? It’s almost unthinkable, but could the NFL’s popularity just collapse?

42. I think I’ve written something about 94,292,495,392 times this past year about my wanting Flynn as the best option for 2012.

43. SeahawkFan12 says:

Look, friends, Alex Smith IS a viable option, he IS an upgrade over TJack and if he is available, that most likely means Manning signed with SF…which means all of us AND Alex Smith will have something in common: a HUGE chip on our shoulders toward Mannign AND the 9ers. Not a bad relationship.

That said, I really hope Manning signs w/ Tenn and Hasselbeck comes back to Seattle.

44. Truly amazing that Charlie Whitehurst still has a job in the NFL. I really thought he was done — or on his way to the CFL. Both New England and San Diego fleeced Seattle and then got their players back.

45. raymaines says:

CanFan: Totally agree! S.D. must be worse off than Seattle if CW is good enough to be their 2nd team QB but not ours.

Still, they didn’t really miss CW in the last 2 years and now they have him back. In other words, they got our 3rd round pick for totally free. The ‘Hawks got fleeced. Very sad.

46. “I think I’ve written something about 94,292,495,392 times this past year about my wanting Flynn as the best option for 2012.”

Didn’t know how strong you were on Flynn, just checked out the blog recently. BTW…good luck with that.

Over 94 billion times? WOW!!! You’re a true fan!

47. Only on the third day for the free agent signing period would a post about Charlie Whiteworst get 47 comments.

48. Hey Bobby, what do you think of Matt Flynn?

49. doubter – sorry, no problem. Glad to have you around. Stevos (and all the others) can attest, I’ve been pretty psycho about wanting Flynn to be our QB in ’12. I think it started about the day we signed T-Jack last year.

50. It has almost reached ACIB obnoxiousness …

Except it beams mostly positivity and hopefulness rather than negativity and despair…but regardless…….

51. I miss ACIB. Did he have to move to Oakland to be nearer his beloved?

52. wimbley…28yo, 7 sacks, 21.5 quarterback knockdowns and 9.5 hurries last season, according to STATS LLC…that could be useful for the hawks.

thoughts?

53. raymaines says:

You guys know don’t you that ACIB used to post under a different name. Something like RUSKELISAJERK. The posts were exactly the same, only the target was different. If there is a seemingly new poster who calls himself PC&JSDESERVEDEATH you’ll know who it really is.

54. vichawkfan says:

If we finagle A.Smith out of this….huge. Locker as a distant possibility. Flynn is a pawn in this game.

55. For those of you that hate Alex Smith because he is a 49er think about this.

Erase his shit past from your memory and consider that he played for a shit franchise with some shit talent.

Remember that Monday night football game when 49er fans literally BOOED him off the field. I actually felt sorry for him as a human being..

Now think of this… What if we DID get Alex Smith, and what if he was successfull? How much of a dagger would that be to the heart of every shit show 49er fan……ahhh yes you feel that warm feeling inside that’s called cynical hopefulness. Embrace it because that scenario would be AMAZING!!

56. “doubter – sorry, no problem. Glad to have you around. Stevos (and all the others) can attest, I’ve been pretty psycho about wanting Flynn to be our QB in ’12. I think it started about the day we signed T-Jack last year.”

No need for sorry, and no problem. Thanks for the greeting. I was born in Seattle, 1962, and moved to Arizona in 2001. So I’m all for the Seahawks, Mariners, Storm, Sounders, and soon to be Sonics and Coyotes (unless they change the name.

So did you know that Flynn was a good talent before his game this past year, when he passed for all the TD’s?

Anyway, I like him as well, but all we can do is sit back and see what the FO does, and keep on keepin’ on.

57. Newborough says:

I’d still be happy if we did land Flynn in the end, but at a non-Kolb price. But I think Pete and John are playing the long-game here, looking for QBOTF via the draft. Either Tannehill this year, to sit him behing T-Jack until 2013 or trade back for an extra #1 in 2013 to deal for Barkley then.

Encouraging Miami to overpay for Flynn fits this strategy well and increases the chances of Tannehill being there at pick 12. Or alternatively, if we end up landing Flynn on a shorter term deal, then we get to see him compete with T-Jack to see if he is Kolb/Cassell II or Brady II

I think Pete and John have three years left on their five year SB plan, with Paul Allens full blessing, and are cooly and calmly sticking to the script. If Tannehill’s there at 12 they take him and school him behind T-Jack in 2012 with Portis as #3. If T-Jack goes down, they bring in best-available vet and refuse to throw Tannehill to the wolves.

I don’t buy into all the talk of the Return of Hass, Pete and John fired after a third 7-9 season, sign Smith now to spite the Niners etc etc from all those that get off on instant-gratification. Blowing up the long term plan to land Manning was the only short-term fix that made any sense, and then only because the defence is at least one year ahead of schedule against the plan.

Flynn might still factor in, but if not there’ll be no panic from the FO, just sticking to the plan. And if they can spread a little discord in Niner-land between Harbaugh-Smith along the way, as a bonus, then why not?

Other then Manning I think the FO is just being more careful with their cap money this year, because so far they have got little in return for their big spending last year.

Mabey it would be best just to use some of that money on extending the contracts on some of our young stars so we have less chance of losing them down the road.

When I think back to last year we really got much more ( at a low price ) out of our middle to late round rookies, and undrafted free agents then we did from our expensive free agents.

Why is it that I seem to think more rational on a Saturday morning compared to a Friday night? Lol.

59. Southendzone says:

Sorry if this has been discussed, but where might Kamerion Wimbley from Oakland fit into the Hawks? It’s looking like 75/25 MIA/SEA for the Flynn sweepstakes and we still have all that cap room and a need at LB.

How bout a medium-big contract for Wimbley, & bring back Leroy?

Since it doesn’t look like we’re getting a FA QB either way, let’s make the best of what’s out there.

60. I don’t think they are following their plan. Bo even said himself that they wanted to bring in a QB that first year, yet it didn’t work out. All indications were that they really wanted Kolb two years ago. Not having a QB at this time certainly insn’t the blueprint they wanted, but they have stuck to their “don’t panic” guns. However, there comes a time when you’ve got to do something.

Once we couldn’t suck for Luck, I was all about Win for Flynn, months before his big game vs. Detroit.

How about bring back for Hasselbeck? There I go, starting to get irrational.

62. BobbyK – I think you are incorrect about them not following their plan. They have been pretty clear about their needs and how they were going to approach them this offseason. This front office has been very obvious and predictable this year.

I would also say they have constantly tried to set expectations about not breaking the bank on Kolb or any of the other jones free agent quarterbacks.

63. That last sentence should read -

Not breaking the bank on Flynn or any of the other known free agent quarterbacks.

64. What they did say they would do is draft a quarterback to compete for this year’s starting job because they now think rookie quarterbacks can come in and be difference makers immediately.

As long as they don’t take a qb in the first round this year , ( unless they trade down ), I’m all for doing this through the draft.

It does make me wonder though why it would take two years for Carroll to figure out that you can draft a rookie qb that can compete for a starting position. Especially against the likes of a Jackson or a Whitehurst.

I think it’s more like Carroll is now coming to his senses that you just can’t plug any qb in there, ( like he did at USC ), and be a dominant team.

66. How about if Flynn goes to Miami, Manning to Tennessee and Hasselbeck to Cleveland than the Seahawks can draft Tannehill at number 12?

67. I’m fine w/Tannenhill.

Duke – I have a job for you. I am going to be in Sioux Falls for my annual fantasy baseball draft. I might not have any access to the ‘Net for most of the day so if any big signings/news happen w/respect to the Hawks, could you text me? Thanks.

pabs – The Bo interview around the combine kind of talked how they envisioned already having had their QB right off the bat. That’s what they wanted in place to build around. But he’s right about one thing, they haven’t panicked. At this rate, they will have their QB in place by the time Earl Thomas’ son is ready to play for the team!

68. So. If defences win Championships you need a Quarterback to get you there. T Joke ain’t goin to get us there. Don’t we have someone inbedded at the VMAC?.. It’s 11:15 in Miami I was hoping Flynn was on his way back for a press Conference in Seattle by now. I am really worried about all this. I just can’t bare to watch us struggle another season at the quarterback position. How can we ever be considered lagit without the signal caller of the future on board.

69. Palerydr says:

So the stars align and Matt Flynn signs with the Hawks who then turns out to be quite a bit less than what we wanted. Careful what you keep SCREAMING for!

70. Palerydr says:

Flynn signs with Seahawks and is automatically a super star QB. Doesn’t happen that way. Reality check he hasn’t proven anything yet he’s got to produce for a full 16 game schedule and show all the qualities of an NFL QB. When he does that I’ll cut him some slack.

71. We didn’t get totally fleeced. We lost a third rounder and dropped in the second round for Charile, and we got a key win against a hot Bradford and Rams team to put us into the playoffs as the first 7-9 team to do so, plus a second half throw that helped us win our first game in NYC in ages. Ideally, we’d have liked more. But it’s not like he was a fourth overall pick.

72. The12thMan says:

“Reality check he hasn’t proven anything yet he’s got to produce for a full 16 game schedule and show all the qualities of an NFL QB. When he does that I’ll cut him some slack.”

I’m sure he will finally get a good night’s sleep once that happens

73. Charlie upon arriving in San Diego all dripping wet asks,,,

,,,,”where am I? All I remember was it was gloomy and very wet”

Rivers says,,

,,,, “that was Seattle Charlie”

Charlie,,, “oh?”

Rivers,,,, ” somebody get this guy a burger!”

74. You are right Bobbyk but Flynn isn’t their idea of a franchise quarterback.

75. The12thMan says:

Charlie upon arriving in San Diego all dripping wet asks,,,

,,,,”where am I? All I remember was it was gloomy and very wet”

Rivers says,,

,,,, “that was Seattle Charlie”

Charlie,,, “oh?”

Rivers,,,, ” somebody get this guy a burger!”

Put down the bong dude.

76. Palerydr says:

77. shawman075 says:

I was really hoping that when clipboard jesus was indtroduced in one of our home games that he wore a white robe & they shined a bright spotlight on him! Oh well!!!

78. For my two cents on the whole Clipboard Jesus thing, I dont think it was as bad a trade for Seattle as most would have it. For one thing, AT THE TIME, Hasselbeck was coming off a terrible year and three of four years with significant injuries, and he was about to learn a new system that didnt cater to his strengths. He was about to have a roller-coaster season as well, which proved JS and Carrols concern over his health and play wasnt unwarranted.

Remember too, it was our FO’s first year, and they must have been really nervous about taking over a team so filled with crap “talent” and such a question mark at qb. Something had to be done.

They searched around for a qb that would be Hass insurance that would fit Jeremy Bates’ vertical passing game system. They wanted Trent Richardson from the Bills, but Buffalo wouldnt trade him. So they looked elsewhere. We have no idea who else they tried to trade for or sign, but I bet Charlie wasnt their number two choice.

So they did the best they could. Trading down in the second didnt hurt us at all, as we got Golden Tate, a guy they probably would have been happy to take with their original second round pick. They knew full well that Tate would take more than a year to develop, due to his rawness, but they were intrigued with his speed, athleticism, and talent. Giving a third for a guy that seems to fit your system and provides insurance makes a lot of sense.

And it seems like he was the best they could get. Rather than operate like the jerks in SD, they paid Whitehurst well. JS and Carrol seem to operate with positive reinforcement rather than negative. We’ll see how that works.

And when Charlie didnt measure up, they moved on. Not every transaction works, and expecting 100% is silly. Whitehurst didnt work out, but he provided insurance and helped win–or at least didnt lose–the Rams game, the one that led to the seasons redemption and Hasselbecks best game as a pro, as well as BeastQuake. I wouldnt trade that game for anything less than a Super Bowl 40 win.

In my mind, Whitehurst starting and winning that game ensured Hass would be healthy for the playoff game with the Saints, which was absolutely necessary. So in my mind, that Rams game–and what happened because of it–was worth a third round pick by istelf.

I never liked Whitehurst, but hindsight shows it wasnt such a bad gamble. And now we move on with no harm, no foul. And SD got him back for cheap, which allowed them to dump Voleck who is old, and make room for a developmental qb. Everybody did okay in this one.

79. The12thMan says:

“@The12thman I happen to agree with some of your thoughts however I don’t take personnel attacks well. You previously pointed out that Jackson uses the whole field and proclaimed that as fact it’s not. I’m sure I can get many posters to agree that Jackson has serious issues with pocket awareness and using the whole field. I can’t find it now but I will find the stats to support my position.”

The most recent comment was mostly said tongue in cheek, but at the same time the tone of it seemed to me to say that you might need a friendly nudge to check yourself. Then again maybe I’m just overly anxious to get a QB (Flynn) and am gripping a bit that he is in Miami right now. Truth be told, if I am remembering right, I have always respected the majority of your comments in the past. If you want to try to show me a stat that TJack has never used the whole field, however, then that’s your perorogative and I just hope you have a lot of free time on your hands. Otherwise lets just agree that TJack is not the answer and that we both want what we both think is best for our Hawks. *Hint – it’s not Alex Smith either : ) – Couldn’t resist.

80. The12thMan says:

*prerogative – had to look that one up!!

81. Ok I see how my comment came off a bit testy so my free time this morning has been wasted as I cannot find the stat I wanted to back up my claim. The stat was posted at some time this past season and was verified by others. I do support bringing in Smith but I’ve disagreed with many others sometimes I’m right sometimes they are np. Looks like I need to lighten up ….again. :)

82. Paleryder–Football Outsiders usually has gobs of in-depth, nerdy, Sando-Stats. I bet they have stats somewhere that show the field broken down into short left, short middle, short right, medium left, medium middle…etc showing completions, attempts, all that. That would show if T-Joke has crappy tendencies (bet your butt he does) and where his weaknesses are.

83. Apparently does not use Kingsford charcol or watch commercials. lol