Niners chasing Manning creates opening for Alex Smith

Post by Eric Williams on March 16, 2012 at 3:10 pm with 86 Comments »
March 16, 2012 3:10 pm

ESPN’s Chris Mortensen and Adam Schefter mention an interesting nugget in reporting that the San Francisco 49ers are the mystery team in the Peyton Manning sweepstakes is this nugget.

Manning first visited the Broncos March 9, followed by a visit to the Cardinals, but there were other unreported developments last weekend, such as the Seattle Seahawks parking a jet at an airport in the Denver area in a failed attempt to visit with the quarterback, according to sources.

The Seahawks were persistent in their pursuit of Manning for a couple reasons. First, they understand that Manning could make Seattle a Super Bowl contender. Second, the Seahawks in a way were playing defense, making it harder for Manning to take an offer with NFC West rivals Arizona and San Francisco.

And Seattle may have succeeded in their goal. Darren Urban of AZcardinals.com reports the Cardinals are officially out of the Peyton Manning sweepstakes.

Mike Klis of the Denver Post reports that the Broncos are meeting with Peyton Manning and offering a five-year, $90 million deal after watching him throw in North Carolina this morning.

One interesting development in the ongoing Manning saga is this – Alex Smith could be available for Seattle if the team is interested.

And now with the possibility of Manning heading to San Francisco creating the potential for a strained relationship between Jim Harbaubh and Smith, and the fact that the Niners have only offered a three-year deal, the Utah product could be interested in considering his options.

Smith could see San Francisco’s unwillingness to commit to a long-term deal as evidence they believe Colin Kaepernick is the team’s franchise quarterback of the future — not him.

And Seattle head coach Pete Carroll was effusive in his praise for Smith after Seattle’s 19-17 loss to San Francisco at CenturyLink Field, calling Smith a difference maker in the game.

“Alex did a nice job,” Carroll said. “I really thought he was the difference in the game for them. His ability to extend plays, and to give them a second chance where they could go for it on fourth down – he made a big scramble when we had him trapped back there. And also on the fourth down play, keeping the play alive and eventually hitting the tight end for the first down.

“Those are plays that he made that were really effective in this game. … I thought he did a very nice job. Of course he didn’t turn the ball over at all, which is great for them. But those handful of plays where he kept the thing going I thought game them an advantage on us.”

Really, you just need to look at one stat in comparing Smith and Jackson for a reason the Seahawks might be willing to make the switch.

Smith led San Francisco to six, fourth-quarter comebacks last year, while Jackson was 0 for 4 in those situations.

Even if Manning lands in Tennessee, Smith could be available. Why? As Matt Maiocco of CSNBayarea.com notes, the 49ers showed interest in Matt Hasselbeck before he ultimately signed in Tennessee, and almost signed in San Francisco. Hasselbeck likely will be let go by the Titans and become a free agent if they sign Manning, and could be a target again for San Francisco.

NFL free agency
  1. yakimahawk says:

I just threw up!! Alex Smith? Eric please say no! I can’t believe they would have an interest in him…

2. Smith is a FA now, so why wait to see if SF gets Manning before you make a move for him, if that’s what they’re thinking? Like I said in an earlier reply, if we go in and take Smith from them, and they don’t end up getting Manning, too bad for SF, right? We could care less what works for them, right?

3. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

smith is better than Tjack hands down i would consider that an upgrade.

4. ditto what hawkfan just said.

5. gonesailin06 says:

double ditto

6. Does anyone remember prior to last season starting how there were arguments on this blog about who people thought was the worst starting QB in the NFL?

Pretty much it was between Jackson and Alex Smith. Some people were comforted in knowing that at least he was worse than Jackson, while others thought Smith was still worse.

This is what we’ve come to? Deciding between two bottom feeder starters? Hey, this guy doesn’t suck as bad as the guy we have now, so even if he sucks, it’s still an improvement.

Unbelievable. Or sickening. Take your pick.

7. tchristensen says:

Triple ditto

8. Palerydr says:

I’m in favor of signing Smith he fits some of the qualities that the FO is looking for. I can’t say he tilts the room but can make all the throws is mobile and as pointed out he won games in the 4th quarter something Jackson has not been able to do. What kind of deal would you offer though? 4 years and at what amount? How much guaranteed? I was hoping we would sign him last year.

9. fromargentina says:

I prefer Tannehill before alex smith, he just had a good season….

With this rumors the FO seems desperate for a QB… so dont tell me anymore T-JACK is a good QB!!!!

10. If cursing at the television is what you like to do then by all means sign Alex Smith.

We can do better.

11. BobbyK, Do you still feel Smith is at the bottom with TJack? I think most people here would say no. I know it takes a whole team to win games, but he definitely stepped up last year, compared to other suck ass years he’s had.

12. Palerydr says:

If they sign Smith I still expect them to draft a QB in the first 3 rounds.

13. He’s not a pile of dung, but he doesn’t smell like a rose either.

14. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

lmao bobby, we need a game manager in the offense not tom brady. alex smith can do that and actually win you games tjack cant. alex also may have been the worst QB a year ago but he is not anymore.
    he lead the 9ers to within one win of a superbowl something tjack will never do.
    you cant have it both ways bobby. if we miss on flynn
    you really want another year of tjack or would you rather take a flyer on a guy that can pass anywhere on the field spread the ball around and win a game in the 4th quarter. is he a frabchise qb ?not yet and maybe never. can he make the team better?i think yes.

15. Smith is an upgrade over Jackson, but is that saying much? That’s like saying I want Kerry Colbert over Jordan Kent or Courtney Taylor. Who cares?

16. hawkfan777 says:

Whether you like the guy or not, Alex Smith does fit the kind of QB the Hawks have said they want to have. He is a game manager and he is athletic. He does well outside the pocket. He has a pretty strong arm also. I could see the Hawks going after him. I personally havent liked the guy for years but I hated Elway when the Hawks were in the AFC West. That was only because he was good and he was in the Hawks division at the time.

He had some statistically bad years but look at the talent he had around him at the time. Last year was probably a better indication of what to expect from him when you dont put it all on his shoulders.

17. Weren’t the 49ers 13-3 last year with Alex Smith as their QB? I would take 13-3 all day long….

18. freedom_X says:

Alex Smith last year is what Pete Caroll hoped Tarvaris Jackson would be this year (game manager of a balanced, fundamentally strong team.)

Jackson could never have been that player last year because Seattle was not fundamentally sound (mediocre receivers and horrid offensive line) until the last 3rd of the season. If you switch Jackson and Smith, I say both players end up with an 80-85 QB rating – a decent jump up for Jackson, a big drop for Smith.

If the 49ers drop $90+ million on Manning, it might almost be a good thing long term. They would be in salary cap hell a couple years down the road, and I think a Manning boost would be a relatively short term one. I am a big Manning-to-Seattle supporter, but a $90 million/5 year price tag would make me think twice.

19. bird_spit says:

All of those in favor of bringing Alex Smith to Seattle, please stand up.

Now the real fans, please take their seats..

Wow..Alex Smith. You mean Alex Smith, the guy who holds on to the ball while the rush eats him and the ball? That Mr Smith? Absolutely no way. I’d be happy to watch T-Jack passing right all season, than AS holding onto the ball.

20. BobbyK: That last comment had me cracking up in the office. Pretty accurate.

21. Nobody claimed he smells like a rose. All we can do is wait to see what the FO does, then stay behind them and hope for the best.

22. freedom_X says:

SF didn’t go 13-3 because of Alex Smith. It’s fair to say Alex Smith didn’t block them from going 13-3. Maybe he helped them to a couple extra wins and didn’t lose any of them.

That’s the essence of a game manager type QB.

23. bulldog80 says:

Smith is a turd, yes he was polished to a high sheen last year, but he’s still a turd. Don’t even think about it Pete

24. Alex F’nnnn Smith?? Seattle should go no QB and just line up another FB behind center to handoff to Beastmode so he would have 2 FB’s blocking for him.

25. “Smith led San Francisco to six, fourth-quarter comebacks last year.”

You can’t knock that stat. He did that against some pretty tough teams with some pretty bad WRs.

26. bird says “I’d be happy to watch T-Jack passing right all season, than AS holding onto the ball.”

You must not haver watched ther Seahawks play much last year, T Jack did the same thing numerous times last season, which led to many sacks, fumbles, and int’s.

27. The12thMan says:

Well put Bobby and I couldn’t agree more. I am definitely not taking this rumor too seriously but if I found out that Schneider and Carroll see Alex Smith as the long term answer at QB for this team then I would be sick and very nervous for our future. I was willing to give them a mulligan for Whitehurst and I think it made sense to take a gamble on him since we didn’t have to give up a 1st or 2nd round pick for him. I have always desperately wanted to believe that they have never seen TJack as the long term answer for us (contrary to what they keep saying to the media). If they got TJack as a filler while they solidify our O-line then it was a very smart move. If they really did see him as the future then we are in trouble. This rumor does make me nervous because it adds a little more evidence to the possibility that they really did see TJack as ‘the answer’. No question Smith is better than TJack simply because he can actually scramble out of trouble and for positive gains like TJack SHOULD be able to. That is really the only difference and it definitely was the difference in the Niners winning our last matchup (I still throw up in my mouth a little every time I remember TJack looking like a newborn colt learning how to walk as he stumbled towards the endzone after the blown play towards the end of that game). But Alex is NOT a franchise QB anymore than Cordell Stewart was and I just hope our FO is not like the Steelers were with Stewart or the Niners have been with Smith where they keep waiting and hoping sirloin steak eventually turns into fillet mignon and low and behold after 6 years they are still stuck with sirloin.

28. The12thMan says:

*Kordell not Cordell

29. I love those game manager Qb’s in the last few Super Bowls.

30. freedom_X says:

31. JazBadAzz says:

Trading one bad habit QB for another is counter productive, just stick with T.Jack if this is the case!

Its hard to appreciate your own woman if your fantasizing about super models everyday!

32. “Whitehurst and I think it made sense to take a gamble on him since we didn’t have to give up a 1st or 2nd round pick for him.”

Not that it matters, but I believe we gave SD a second and third rounder for him.

33. bulldog80 says:

Duke, On that Drew Brees suggestion, we’ve blown a he11 of a lot of #1′s the last several years. I’d gladly give up two for Brees. Carson Palmer got that for crying out loud and the Redskins just gave up more someone that’s totally untested. Nearly every other position can be filled through free agency. As we are painfully finding out, QB is just about impossible.

34. “Since Arizona picked up Kolb’s option, it seems like they are officially out of the Manning sweepstakes.”

Seen this morning that Manning told Miami and Arizona that he was not interested. So yes, they’re officially out as of this morning.

35. Seattle gave up a third, and swapped second round picks with SD for CBJ.

36. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

listen all i am saying is that if flynn goes to miami it’s alex smith or Tjack i would take smith. no qb aviable to the hawks at 12 will be ready to start this year and maybe next, tannenhill is raw and completely a 2-3 round grade.
    before you bitch about smith go back and watch the play off games, on his back they got to the champinship game that was him making those throws. tjack would have choked and puked in that same spot.
    so if you wont consider an upgrade dont bitch about what we have.

37. Palerydr says:

“No question Smith is better than TJack simply because he can actually scramble out of trouble and for positive gains like TJack SHOULD be able to. That is really the only difference and it definitely was the difference in the Niners winning our last matchup”

38. freedom_X says:

I admit I didn’t see any of Smith’s 6 4th quarter comebacks. If they were down by 14 in the 4th and he passed them to victory, then credit to him. I suspect they weren’t all one man heroic efforts, but I can’t say that for fact.

Regardless, it’s still a key factor that Smith had a strong offensive line and a dominant TE to help him. No Seattle QB had either of those things until the last half of the season (and 65% of the O-line improvement was in the run game, though that helps balance the load off the passing game.)

After all, if it’s all Smith, then why did SF go 6-10 in 2010?

These rumors and possible scenarios are officially absurd, now. Alex Smith sucks. I’d rather have Jackson every day of the week, than Smith. I can’t handle much more of this conjecture, but it’s the nature of today’s climate.

40. I too was down on Smith before last season but I think he proved his
    grit multiple times during the season and his arm strength that was always supposed to be his upside really came through. His acruacy was
    greatly improved over the AS of 2 years ago. I think the Seahawks have
    a team that is at least as good as last years 49ers and AS is the difference. He would be a great addition and improve our draft possibilities.

41. bird_spit says:

doubter – I’m no T-Jack fan. I did watch him take the punishment while the OL matured. I also watched him take some brutal hits which were sent his way with wide gaps in the OL. He got injured repeatedly, but kept on getting off the turf to try again. Alex Smith would have folded in the first three games of last season if he was given t-jacks opportunity. None of us doubt Jackson’s durability. I truly doubt Alex Smith’s durability.

I have no stats. I watched every play of last season, probably twice on average. But, even with out a stop watch, it was obvious, AS had time, TJ had none. I believe TJ was the right guy, right time last year though.

I also believe TJ deserves a chance to compete for the position, if for nothing else, but a big thank you for last years efforts.

I could give a crap about Flynn, or any other QB wantabe. If they beat Jackson out for the starting position, then all is good again. I dont think TJ is the QB that gets us to the big game. But I am willing to let him try to be that QB. Let the competition begin. Hopefully the draft will bring us the better man.

43. I don’t know why people believe we have a chance at getting an elite quarterback this year. There are two qbs that look like it in the draft. Period. They are both spoken for. There is another guy running around who’s going to get north of $90 million and could be an injury away from never playing again. Then there’s the rest.

Until we really believe in somebody – and I see 0 reason to believe in Flynn; it’s a hope, not a belief – we have to take the best we can get and not screw up the rest of the team or overpay for getting it. There will be drafts in the future that are deeper in qbs than this one. Flynn, A. Smith, are fine to sign if it’s not out of line. If we end up with TJack, so be it. But we have to stop this fairy tale that Flynn is the next elite qb. Or that the Hawks’ front office is somehow lacking because we’re not signing up a Brady or Eli Manning.

44. HawkyHann says:

Cleveland plain dealer just reported “Seattle has agreed to trade Seneca Wallace for Sidney Rice and a 6th rounder. Nice!!! ”

Seneca is back….

45. HawkyHann says:

Also, Seattle is throwing in Sidney’s custom made concussion helmet, Don Joy hip braces, and extra metal for his ankles.

46. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

duke, jackson had a good line a great reciever and an elite running back in minni and couldnt get it done. smith did thou he won the game in the forth in the playoffs and left 20 some seconds on the clock.
    in that drive he made atleast 3 elite passes. if he helps the team win 3 more games we were at 10-6 this year. this D waS good this year how good would they be if they werent on the field 35 minutes a game?
    either way odds are if flynn doesnt sign here its tjack or smith this year and a qb in the draft to develope.

47. If the point is that we want to find the answer at QB, then why would be bother with Smith? We could’ve made a run for Kyle Orton.

Smith may be marginally better than TJ, but he gets us no closer to the real goal, and if anything, delays it. Rather see us draft a QB early. If Miami ends up w/Flynn, wouldn’t we likely have a very good shot at Tannehill? Or is the thought now that Cleveland would snag him before us?

No interest in picking up Smith. That would be pretty disappointing to me actually.

48. Brentlyr says:

49. JazBadAzz says:

Bird spit is right, Alex Smith was a horrible QB when he was pressured! Making an assessment about him from last year season would be foolish! It was anomaly! FOOLS GOLD!!!

50. I liked some of what Smith did last year, but he really is a one read and run QB. And Vernon Davis was pretty much his only read when he needed a clutch play.

Greg Williams was too stupid to know this in the playoffs. For that reason alone, he should be banned from the NFL for life.

51. Alex F’nnn Smith??? I was hoping SF would sign him to a long term contract to essentially give theirself the poison pill. SF is a QB away from being a superbowl contender for years to come. Alex Smith is SF’s cryptonite, Harbaugh knows this deep down. I would rather have Tjack over Smith ( just threw up a little in my mouth) period…

52. bigmike04 says:

I take Smith over T Jackson any game of season.. Alex Smith is game changer & T. Jackson couldn’t lead a 4th Quater drive if he tried to because, in reality he just not that good of QB to begin with, was overated when he was a hot free than & now.

Signed Smith & cut our lost with T Jackson who cannot lead any team in NFL at all.. Better off retiring & finding a new career because his time in NFL should been over after his Minnesota Days, he was just horrible.

53. boucherm says:

While I think Alex Smith is a little better than T Jack, I would rather stand pat and jut say “we’re still looking for our QB.” Smith wouldn’t get a huge deal or commitment, so wouldn’t preclude drafting someone, but if you’re going to draft them, why bother with Smith?
    Who here would rather have Alex Smith starting in week 6 than any one of Brandon Wheeden, Kirk Cousins or even Nick Foles? At least they have the potential to be high end QBs.

54. Crap! SD just signed Whitehurst back!!

Guess we can cross him off the list.

55. Duke says ” Alex Smith sucks.”

TJack sucks more…..now what?

56. grizindabox24 says:

Sad about Charlie :)

57. raymaines says:

I don’t know if this is true or not, but I’m not the one making it up if it turns out to be a joke:

and I quote:

Adam Caplan NFL Writer:
    Chargers announce they re-signed QB Charlie Whitehurst. A.J. Feeley type move here if you get my drift.

58. Alex Smith. Seriously? Wish I wasn’t on a diet; the mere thought makes me want to drown my sorrows.

I’m not in favor of another year with TJ, but Alex Smith is only marginally better.

Man I hope one of those QB’s isn’t leading our team next year. Plenty of time for players moving and things still happenin’. I think our FO probably recognizes the need for a better QB.

59. The12thMan says:

“You are incorrect sir Smith has the ability to use the entire field as well as hit the check downs. I also see he took his team to the NFC Championship and as much as I wanted them to lose he threw some very accurate passes and put his team ahead in the 4th to win it. His mighty defense cost them that game not Alex Smith.”

TJack also has the ability to use the entire field and hit check downs, you can’t say he doesn’t because we’ve all seen him do it. TJack also throws some very accurate passes at times, you can’t say he doesn’t. The problem with both TJack and Smith (one of the problems) is that they don’t do that as consistently as you want your franchise QB to do it. As I remember it, both QB’s made some good throws and plays, and some bad, or not so good throws/plays in that final meeting between the Hawks and Niners. The fact is that we had every chance to win that game even with TJack at the helm. The main difference I saw between the two QB’s on that day was that Alex hurt us big time with his scrambling for positive gains and TJack helped the Niners big time by running into sacks, falling down, fumbling, etc.

60. seahawk44 says:

Alex Smith had six different offensive coordinators in six seasons. That would be tough for any young QB. He had some awful talent and bad teams surrounding him for years. He had a few injury setbacks. Yet, through it all, each coach saw something in him that they liked for him to remain as their starter. He was the 1st player taken overall in 2005 following an impressive college career.

I have never been a huge fan, of course, but you have to admire the perseverance. I can point to many NFL QBs of the past who didn’t hit their stride until later in their career.

Everyone calm down. If Smith is PC’s choice for the Starting QB, then we should support it. Besides, the guy was born in Seattle.

I will say this about Alex Smith. He definitely makes his reads faster and has much better field vision than T Jackson.

The team still needs to draft a QB prospect.

61. Duke says “Every player has their best season at some point. That was Smith’s and I would be utterly shocked if he replicated that level of production ever again.”

Would you be saying the same thing if Alex was our QB last year? That you would be shocked if he could perform at that same level this year? Why do you feel that way, did their team change that much since last year? We have the rest of free agency, and the draft. So tell me why you think Smith will not do as good as he did last year. Or are you just hoping he doesn’t do as well as last year, for the same reason I don’t want him to perform as well? *wink*

62. Aw, lata CBJ. You have some nice hair, guy. Good luck with the surfing.

63. There is no point in signing another middle-of-the-pack QB. We have good one of those already. The Seahawks need to have their sights set on finding a QB who has through-the-roof potential. Average, we got.

I don’t know who that future QB is, but whoever it is, I’m hoping Carroll has his photo pinned to the bulletin board next to his desk, and has a plan to sign the kid when the time comes.

But Alex Smith? bleaccch. I have no stomach for that.

64. The12thMan says:

“If Smith is PC’s choice for the Starting QB, then we should support it.”

Wow, now that’s some blind faith for you!

65. raymaines says:

I don’t think the Chargers really missed CW while je was gone, and now they have him back. Meaning they gave up NOTHING for Seattles picks. Boy, did the Hawks get fleeced on that deal!

66. “Alex Smith had six different offensive coordinators in six seasons. That would be tough for any young QB. He had some awful talent and bad teams surrounding him for years. He had a few injury setbacks. Yet, through it all, each coach saw something in him that they liked for him to remain as their starter.”

This is what haters of Smith choose not to look at. We all know what he went through the first 5 years in the league. Now he has a good coach, lots of better players around him, which made him a better QB.

67. Brentlyr says “BARF! No way on God’s green earth Smith is an upgrade over T-Jack. NO FREAKIN’ WAY!

God’s greeen earth? I hope that is just a figure of speach.

And yes, he is an upgrade over TJack, no matter how you look at it.

68. JazBadAzz says:

doubter- thats because he got them all fired!

69. seahawk44 says:

Yes, we all , as fans, have the right to voice our likes and dislikes. That’s what this blog is for. Every fan here wants an upgrade at that position. There is no guarantee that Manning or Flynn or ANY rookie will have better seasons than Smith or Jackson. I think the Redskins “for sure” thought McNabb would be better, and the Raiders “for sure” thought Russell would….the list goes on and on. THERE ARE NO GUARANTEES.

I am hoping that Manning is a failure for the remainder of his career. Especially if he is a 49er. He flipped a bird to the Seahawks by not considering even a visit.

70. They’re driving up the price in case San Fran misses out on Manning.

71. I agree with your 5:26 p.m. post, Seahawks44!

72. “I agree with your 5:26 PM 3/16/12 post Seahawks44″ – Kurt Cobain

Noting how awful Smith is an saying that I’d take Jackson is anything but an endorsement of Jackson.

And I love this talk that Jackson had a good line, elite RB, and great reciever. That certainly wasn’t the narrative the first two months of the season. Lol

74. Jaz says ” thats because he got them all fired!

And this is pertaining to WHAT I said? Are you saying Smith got all the coaching staffs fired that worked for the Niners?

75. The12thMan says:

“The12thMan ….It is not blind faith, nor sighted faith …it is the ability to realize that, I, as a fan, have no control over those decisions. I will remain a fan and root for any QB leading this team. It is PC’s job on the line for the decisions made and how they pan out.”

I took your statement of “If Smith is PC’s choice for the Starting QB, then we should support it” to mean that we should be happy with whatever move our FO makes. If that is not what you meant then okay. I think most of us realize that we can’t actually influence the moves Pete and John make but maybe some do : ) I will also be a Seahawk fan until the day I die no matter what moves they make but being a loyal fan obviously doesn’t mean I will agree with anything/everything they do. And I do find venting as a healthy way of dealing with frustration, anger, and disappointment and I see that as one of the benefits of blogs like this one. Now lets sign Flynn damnitt!!

76. seahawk44 says:

I want Flynn too. A gamble worth taking. Even if he could be the next Charlie Whitehurst. He could be the next Matt Hasselbeck or better!?!?

But ….. so could Tavaris Jackson, Alex Smith or ANY rookie. All I am saying is there are no guarantees and any QB can suddenly have everything click in the right situation.

77. With Peat Bog Carrol having the last say in all Personnel we are screwed. This is ugly. Top flight free agents won’t come here cuz all we do is insult them with a low ball offer. Another one bites the dust. This is gioing to be a long year. And to cap it all off T Joke will throw it out of bounds on the last snap.

78. It should be easy for Paul Allen to sign Alex Smith!

All he has to do is get him here (alex smith was born in seattle)

Put him on his 150′ yacht and give him a ride to the lake washington entrance to Husky Stadium and give him 500 tickets to the Utah-Husky game November 10,2012!

79. Palerydr says:

“TJack also has the ability to use the entire field and hit check downs, you can’t say he doesn’t because we’ve all seen him do it.”

80. The12thMan says:

“No actually I haven’t seen him use the whole field not even close really. Somewhere in the vicinity of 75% of his completions were to the right side of the field. That is not a QB using the entire field.”

Like I said, he doesn’t do it often enough but from what I have seen neither does Alex Smith. If you watched every Hawk game last year I don’t know how you could say you NEVER saw TJack use the whole field but okay, fine. I did not see a big difference between the two QB’s in their throwing throughout that last game. The biggest difference as I saw it was Alex extending drives with his feet with TJack doing anything but that. My real point is that I think both TJack and Alex have had plenty of chances to turn into elite QB’s and neither of them have and neither of them ever will IMO. SO PLEASE PETE AND JOHN LETS SIGN FLYNN!!! Do you think they heard me?

81. Many of Tjacks throws to the left were designed to go left! Just saying.

82. The12thMan says:

I agree xcman. Believe me I am not trying to defend TJack though I guess it is coming off that way. I’ll just say one last time that I do think Alex is an upgrade over TJack but not a huge one and I don’t see Alex as ever becoming a top QB. If we could trade TJack for Alex straight across would I make that trade? Definitely. But I want better than either of them for our Hawks. Could we win the Superbowl with Alex as our QB? Sure but IMO our overall team would have to be so good that we could win it in spite of him like Doug Williams and Mark Rypien with the Skins, Phil Simms and the Giants, Dilfer and the Ravens, etc. Its just so much harder to win it all with an average QB than with an elite one.

83. SandpointHawk says:

Think I’ll spend some time on the 49er blogs tonight posting about leather men and gerbils….

84. I’m no Alex Smith fan, but I think he is a bit better than Tjack. I don’t think acquiring him would be a very controversial move. Let’s stick with Tjack and find/develop a young QB.

85. NYHawkFan says:

Here’s an interesting wrinkle that USA Today mentioned in today’s paper. The sports agent for Manning is Tom Condon. And it just so happens that Condon is also the sports agent for non other than Alex Smith. Talk about a sticky situation. The same guy that is trying to nab a QB job for his client in San Francisco (Manning) is also the agent for San Francisco’s current quarterback! Maybe he thinks Smith will be happy as SF backup QB if Manning gets the job. Whatever the case, sounds like Condon can’t loose. Reminded me of the movie Jerry Maguire.

86. SkeleTony says:

If they end up signing Smith I will make the Patriots my team to root for. One can only take so many desperate and doomed-to-fail reaches from his home team before it is no longer fun to cheer for them.