Morning links: All in on Flynn?

Post by Eric Williams on March 16, 2012 at 6:47 am with 101 Comments »
March 16, 2012 6:47 am

There’s been a lot of debate over the past week here on whether or not the Seattle Seahawks should open up their checkbook and gamble in signing Matt Flynn, committing to him as the team’s quarterback of the future.

Well, count John McGrath of The News Tribune as someone fully in support of Flynnsanity.

The Green Bay free agent quarterback arrived late last night and will be at the team’s facility most of the day today, but he also has a trip scheduled for Miami if he doesn’t get the contract or the opportunity he wants here in Seattle.

McGrath: Tarvaris Jackson is a tough cookie. His teammates respect him. His coaches think the world of him. But after six seasons in the NFL, he’s shown no ability to execute the fourth-quarter drives that win close games.

Matt Flynn visited Seattle on Thursday. If Carroll and Schneider say goodbye to Flynn without offering him a big-time contract, they will regret it.

A gamble? Of course he is. But this gamble has a payoff that could put the Seahawks in the playoffs.

Take a deep breath, guys, and let it roll.”

Nate Ulrich of the Akron Beacon Journal reports that Cleveland president Mike Holmgren says his offer to trade up for the No. 2 overall pick was every bit as good as Washington’s, and he does not believe the Browns got a fair shot at RG3. The Browns appear committed to giving Colt McCoy another shot as the starter.

Seahawks John Moffitt dons a kilt for charity – check out the video here.

Kent Somers of the Arizona Republic reports that the Cardinals needs to hear from Peyton Manning by 1 p.m. Pacific time today because Kevin Kolb is due a $7 million roster bonus.

Mike Klis of the Denver Post says that Manning is expected to notify the Cardinals of his decision this morning, and that it’s a two-team race between the Broncos and Titans.

Michael Lombardi of the National Football Post believes it’s a toss up between Denver and Tennessee in the Manning sweepstakes.

Terry McCormick of the Nashville City Paper said he’s spoken with Matt Hasselbeck and that the organization has been up front with everything that has gone on with Manning.

Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk.com speculates the Dolphins could go after Tebow if the Broncos end up with Manning.

Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune writes that the Chargers are pushing hard to sign running back Mike Tolbert, but he also has other suitors. One of those other interested teams could be Seattle.

Morning links

Don’t let him make that trip to Miami!

2. jchawks08 says:

Could not agree more with Mr. McGrath’s assesment of the Flynn situation. He must not leave town without signing a contract! Oh and thanks a ton Mother Nature for all the wind, rain, gloom and doom weather. Seriously, if he leaves here and gets to Miami, it’s all over. Get ‘er done John and Petey!

3. Seahawkfan78 says:

Sign him!!!!

4. SeahawkFan12 says:

We have one of the (if not THE) smartest FOs in the NFL. The right decision will be made today. Be at peace, ‘Hawks fans.

5. Looking like the Broncos are getting Manning which then begs the Tebow question.

Miami needs Tebow don’t they?

6. I am all in for signing Flynn, but at a reasonable price. I think Schneider knows Flynn’s positives and negatives and what is a reasonable contract for the QB with limited game time.

7. SeahawkFan12 says:

Tebow would be a nice fit in South Beach. They would follow him even more mindlessly than Denver did! LOL. I hate Denver, so this stings a little, gotta say…

8. SeahawkFan12 says:

dacmike, I agree and that is what I believe will happen. Flynn will sign here but not for stupid money. No reason for Schneider and Carroll to spend like an ex-wife.

9. edstang45 says:

I agree with SeahawkFan12, I’m glad I dont have to make this call…In my view it’s a gamble, He could be just another back up, or he could be atleast another Hass or better. If he turns out to be on the level of Hass then it would be a win. Sure would be nice to hear what Holmgren thinks of him and the Browns showed no interest so far, that could tell you something too. Maybe we should get Carimi and then build the Defense and run another year with TJack……..Glad I can just let our Head trust work it out. I just dont want to break the bank at this point!

10. COunt me all in for Flynn, except if Manning goes to Tennesse and we can trade for Jake.

11. jchawks08 says:

Desperate times Seahawksfan12. I’m over 7-9 seasons. Myself and 99% of Seahawk fans are not (I hope!) content with Tarvaris and 8-8. Seriously, it’s time to go big, or we’ll be going home again in early January.

12. McGrath thinks we should back up a damn dumptruck and unload cash for Flynn?! Well, that means we better run like hell the other way, LOL!

Interesting that Seattle may be bidding on Mike Tolbert. He’s a load, and with him and BeastMode and Forsett/Washington would make a pretty darn fine backfield committee.

If the Fins do get Flynn, perhaps we could get them to cough up Matt Moore. Ive liked him since his days with Carolina, when he came off the bench and pretty much carved our Timmay! Tampa 2 up. He seems to me to be a guy that just needs better talent and coaching around him.

13. ChrisHolmes says:

Sign him and pay him.

I think Flynn is worth $8 million a year. And really, if he turns into the second coming of Aaron Rogers, that will be a bargain.

If you’re really concerned about that kind of coin for a QB then I think you’re in the wrong business. QB’s are the leaders of your team and the face of your franchise. Don’t bring Flynn in here to “compete” with Jackson. Give him the damn job, make him the starter and make him the face of your franchise.

If the numbers still but you, then structure the contract so that you can unload him after two years and take a minimal cap hit. There are creative ways to create contracts, after all. Teams have done it before. It’s entirely possible to sign Flynn to a 5 year, 40-50 million dollar deal that really is something like 2 years and 12 million if they cut him after two seasons. Like I said, teams have done this sort of contract setup before. I don’t see any reason Seattle can’t do the same. Give yourself some insurance in case the guy doesn’t live up to his billing. Of the little I know of Flynn, I think he’d take a contract like that believing he’s going to excel and reach the money at the back end of that deal.

Because McGrath is correct: this team is going nowhere with Tavaris at quarterback. Flynn is the best available option right. So get him. Make your team BETTER.

14. SeahawkFan12 says:

jchawk, I’m with you brother! 7-9 seasons suck, and I truly believe we are on the climb out of that hole. We’ll see what happens today. LOTS of interesting stuff going down…

15. Seahawks2620 says:

STTBM- There is a 99 percent chance that we will not see Forsett in a Seahawks jersey next season.

16. Seahawks2620 says:

Anyone interested in Early Doucet? Or is he essentially Ben Obomanu 2.0.

17. Seahawks2620–I dont know where you are getting your statistics from, but I agree there is little chance he’s back on the team. We just dont need him. I think if we had a decent line going–we will, but we aint there yet–he would be an asset. But we have Washington and dont need another small guy.

Forsett is a much more powerful runner than Washington, but lacks Leon’s breakaway speed. The biggest issue is that we have so many WR’s with potential, I think Forsett’s roster spot will go to an extra WR or another big back like Tolbert, Bush, or a mid-round draftee. Which bums me out, Im a huge J-Force fan.

But thats why I said Washington/Forsett. I think we keep one of them, and even with the retro-kick return rules, Washington is too valuable as a returner to dump in favor of Forsett.

18. jchawks08 says:

Yea, I don’t see Forsett returning at all. Good guy, but not a ‘great’ player, and really that’s what we’re building towards, right? So many more options out there at RB. Polk please. lol! Man I love Polk. I would put Doucet in that same Good but not ‘Great’ category myself. I had him on my FF team for a couple weeks last year and he didn’t do anything for me. So that’s my analysis.

19. Doucet is a douche. Guy has talent, but Fitzgerald’s DAD had to call out his laziness and lack of work ethic. Fitz has tried to take Doucet under his wing and help him train etc but Doucet is too lazy. Yuck!

As for Obomanu, he has the size to play every position–SE, FL, Slot–and the brains to run all the routes note-perfect. He’s also pretty good at getting open over the middle and improvising when the play breaks down. And he has far better hands than most people have been giving him credit for lately.

It makes me sick every time someone bitches about his hands. The fact is, Obo had few drops until that last game of the season, where he dropped two. The guy has been steady and solid and has made many tough catches. Remember Hass’ last season, when Obo went over the middle for 27 yards or something, and the DB slammed his facemask into Obo’s hand?! Ben caught the ball, even though his hand was so bruised they thought it was broken, and the back of his hand was laid open in a cut so bad they had to close it with major stiches. He then came back while still in serious pain with the cut unhealed, and used a protective cast over the hand. And he still made tough catches.

I think Ben Obomanu makes the team. I also think that he would have shown a lot more last season if we’d kept Hass, or had anyone under C better than T-Joke. Ben may not be Fitzgerald, but he’s pretty good. And his versatility is something that JS and Carrol prize. And he’s not slow either–he’s quicker than many think. And he’s a fantastic blocker which is something else the FO prizes.

Obomanu is staying.

I too like McGrath’s assessment, and agree with it. Flynn get’s on that plane to Miami this afternoon, and it’s all over for him in Seattle.

21. gonefishin69690 says:

With the weather yesterday, let’s only hope he didn’t drive on any of the freeways here. That would be enough to chase anybody away.

22. As much as we complain about the QB situation, think how stressful it must be for Bo and Mr. Happy. They aren’t dumb. They know Jackson sucks (or they are really dumb then) and how important it is to get a real QB. However, what do they do today?

They can’t let Flynn leave town, but what if they want Kolb like they did two years ago and are waiting to see if he’s released? But they won’t know until later today, but by that time it may be too late for Flynn, too? What if they want Locker? I heard someone say that Locker was their #5 QB last year, but I heard they liked him and wanted him at #25 if he’d have lasted (don’t remember where I saw/heard this). What if, all of a sudden, they think Manning will land in TN and now have a chance at Locker again (which is possible w/Bud Adams). There’s so many scenarios to think about with who will line up behind center when the season begins.

All I know is that they can’t in good faith expect us to go through more of Jackson so something needs to get done! If you are scared to make a move, just pass on all your #1 picks in the future b/c there’s too much pressure to get them right and you might end up paying too much for someone that sucks (like Aaron Curry).

Personally, I’d be fine w/Kolb, Hasselbeck, Flynn, Locker, or a few others. I’m not fine with Jackson, as if you didn’t know. Ultimately, I’d love to sign Flynn and draft a pass rusher or trade our #12 to TN for Matt and Locker.

23. I think its pretty funny that Holmy is griping about getting shafted due to the good ol boy network. As if he hasnt used the same network and been on both sides of that back scratching exercise.

To me, this is an attempt to appease the Browns fans who are pissed that their team still has McCoy under C.

This makes Holmy look naive and petty. Who says things are fair?! You get a certificate when you were born saying life would be fair, Holmy?! Yah, didnt think so! LOL!

The Lambs didnt have trade with anyone. And its fairly common for teams to trade a player for less to get them out of the Conference/Division. Like Buffalo trading Lynch to Seattle when other teams would have given more. And like when the Rams admitted Seattle would have to give up more than anyone else for the rights to get Griffin, as we play in thier Division.

Waaah Waah Waah Holmy!

24. Seahawks2620 says:

There were my won statistics, not implied to be exact. Just how I feel based on the fact that Forsett was getting thrown around like a freakin rag doll last season.

25. Wow, BobbyK, youre willing to see trade our 12 pick for Hass and Locker?! Sweet! I mentioned that possibility yesterday, but no one bit. I’d love to have them both. I just didnt think you still liked Hass. Oh, perhaps its just that you detest Jackson so much?! ;)

I think Tennessee will try to keep Locker. If I was Locker, I would be pissed to lose my chance at a starting job, plus losing my friend and mentor. I would demand a trade to Seattle.

Its funny: I am not a local Homer, and I thought Locker would take half a decade to learn to play at an NFL level, but it sure looks like I was El-WRongo on that one! I’d be more than happy to get him here but I think its a pipe dream.

I’d happily settle for another 2-3 years with Hass. Then we could buy a little more time to find his successor, and have some success along the way. Plus, once the young guy–whoever he is–steps up and relegates Hass to the bench, we could keep him as a backup for a year or two. That would be fairytale city. Ah well, a guy can dream, right?!

26. Seahawks2620 says:

“own”

27. Seahawks2620 says:

“own” and “they” haha

28. Dukeshire–I agree as well: Flynn is worth risking something for, given what we have at qb at the moment. And its gonna take pretty big bucks to get him. But we have the cap room to swing and miss and recover, and if we dont show him da monaaaay, Miami will.

Its put up or shut up time.

I still hold out insane hope we get Hass back, which I know you hate. C’mon, even a rent-a-oldster like Hass is an upgrade to T-Joke!

29. Ah, forgot to mention its just that McGrath annoys the hell out of me most of the time. Not that he’s always wrong, just that he can be ultra-pompous and annoying.

30. Seahawks2620 says:

I would like to hear where Jason Jones stands. Did the meeting go well, what is the deal?

Manning’s smart! He will no doubt get Denver and Tennessee in a bidding war.

Hope it ends up being the Titans, just for the outside chance of acquiring Locker, and for the satisfaction of seeing Denver lose out!

32. Locker will be screwed if Manning goes there and they want to keep him, doesn’t Manning take all reps period, that would definately stunt his growth, he needs to get all the snaps he can get.

33. It’s just as much about our guys finding out if Flynn “tilts the room” as it is Flynn finding out if it’s a good fit for his needs/wants. If Flynn does leave for Miami, I’m guessing it’s because JS/PC didn’t see enough there to offer big dollars. Anyway—my point is just that it’s a two-way street.

Can’t stand Florio. Can’t stand Tebow. Can’t stand Miami. Love that speculation though, and I hope Florio is right!

34. If we only care about ’12, Matt is better than Joke hands down. Not even close. And Joke is in the final year of his contract, too.

Let Matt play in ’12. Get a pass rusher and see if he can get us back to the Super Bowl again.

Let Locker (if Bud Adams is as crazy as we think he is) learn the WCO under Matt for one year and let his 12-15 reign begin in ’13. Sounds simple. Too bad real life can’t be that simple all the time.

I bet Manning has the pull w/Adams in saying he’s going to play four more years or whatever to say that he wants Locker traded for a player/pick who can help win now. Adams will probably be dead by then, so he’s caring about the here and now (and that’s not meant to be disrespectful).

Of course, all bets are off if Manning ends up in Denver.

35. FleaFlicker says:

I loves me that Google machine. Some choice commentary below on TJax as he was leaving Minnesota. Personally, I cannot take another year of Tarvaris, as upstanding of a guy though he may be.

At this point, I’ll endure a season of Josh Portis if we can’t sign Flynn or draft somebody. Eventually, you’ve got to take a gamble. We’re 0 for 2. Just have to keep rolling the dice until we find our guy.

Some awesome [summary] quotes from those old posts in Minnesota:

“Most frustrating was Jackson’s inability to develop as a QB over five seasons”

“We’ll see if he can turn things around in Seattle, but I’m expecting the Seahawks fans to be just as disappointed as we were.”

The more things change…the more they stay the same!

36. Seahawks2620 says:

Jason Jones and the Seahawks executives had dinner last night at Daniel’s Broiler. Really doubt that gives us any sort of upper hand, but they do have good food.

37. Arizona is sure in a tricky place with Kolb – they need to pull the trigger on that bonus today, or not. And do they even want to pay him irrespective of Manning, given that Skelton more or less beat him out by the end of the year?

Gonna be an interesting day, I’m won over on the Flynn front as well, the King article, the fact that Schneider wants him – make it happen guys . . .

38. Seahawks2620 says:

Anyone interested in Kamerion Wimbley, if the Raiders do in fact release him?

39. Why the hell would they trade Locker? GB had a young QB learn behind a hall of famer and that worked out pretty well. I think Manning plays for 3 more years (or until his neck breaks again), and Locker grabs the reigns the day after.

If TEN gets Manning, Hasselbeck is as good as cut.

40. Be careful what you wish for. If the twins like Flynn it’s fine, but not if he’s trying to justify an inflated contract.

41. Because Bud Adams is a senile old man, that’s why, who badly wants Manning. Manning could also say he’ll sign if he KNOWS that a back-up could be traded for something of value for the here and now so he can win easier here and now. I could easily see Adams giving Manning what he wants and I could see Manning wanting that. It’s stupid in a football sense, but people aren’t always rational either.

42. 2620…. me too! I’d like to hear what happened on the JJ front also…. Hopefully we find out some good news today, as of right now, we’ve made no improvements through free agency, but most of our division has…. at least appear to… In fact, we may be on the losing side…. just sayin’……

Daniel’s? It’s okay. If they really wanted to impress him, the Met. or Canlis is the way to go.

44. ChrisHolmes says:

I think I’d rather have Tannehill than Locker, if it came down to getting a really young guy for the future.

45. grizindabox says:

Titans will not trade Locker, they would just release Matt if they sign PM

46. If Manning says that he doesn’t ever want to have to look over his shoulder (Locker), you don’t think Bud Adams will give him what he wants?

47. Sounds like Miami is nervous….http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/16/concern-in-miami-that-flynn-could-sign-with-seahawks-today/
    Thanks to bobbyk and flynn highlights, i’m really on his bandwagon now

48. Palerydr says:

Bobby PM isn’t looking over his shoulder at anybody they won’t trade away Locker he’s the future irregardless of signing PM.

49. What happened to Forsett? His first couple of years, he was very elusive. Granted, he could never take it to the house, but he could make a couple of guys miss and gain 10 to 20 yards.

50. grizindabox says:

BobbyK, I do not see that happening. If Manning is worried about Locker, then he is smart enough to know when to hang them up. Deep down, I think some of PM’s motivation in playing is to prove that he can come back from the neck injury, but I also see him as a smart guy that would hang it up if that is not the case. I do not think he would look at Locker as a threat.

51. I’m really worried about this QB situation because I think we are prime candidates to be left out.

1. Matt Flynn is not going to sign a contract before leaving Seattle. Why? Because he has a relationship with Miami’s coach, so he’s going to at least listen to their offer.

2. This gives Miami a huge advantage because they’ll know how much they need to sweeten the deal to get Flynn.

3. It’s going to be sunny and in the 80s all weekend in Miami. I don’t think this fact is as trivial as we’d like it to be.

4. Miami will offer a longer contract and a guarantee to start, whereas Carroll is going to off a shorter contract and talk about competition.

5. I think Cleveland is going to draft Tannehill out from under us, which is going to leave us high and dry in the draft.

6. I don’t think the FO will swallow their pride ask Hass to come back.

This all means we’re probably stuck with T-Jack next year. Arghhh!

52. Seahawks2620 says:

Forsett is a strong man no doubt, but he does not have the strength to bounce off of NFL caliber players. Countless times last season he would bounce off of a defender or get wrapped up and thrown down to the ground. He was absolutely man handled by the defenders.

53. jchawks08 says:

Funny, in college Locker used to be Tebow-lite, now it seems the roles have somewhat been reversed. Though Locker has never started a game or led his team to the playoffs. As a UW homer, I freakin’ love Locker and his game, but yea there’s no way Manning would have any concerns whatsoever about him or Hass for that matter if he does sign with Tennessee. lol that will be the day.

54. Seahawks2620 says:

I am sooooo tired about reading and writing about what we could potentially do, however I can’t stop doing it! I just want for us to actually do something. Albeit signing Jones or something!

55. “Why all the Locker love? I don’t get that one. Sure, he’s local, but the kid lacks accuracy. I’ve never understood the Jake Locker hype.”

Isn’t the consensus that he looked pretty good when he got on the field for the Titans last year?

Doesn’t matter, even if they sign Peyton, no way they trade Locker. He’s such a recent high pick, has showed promise, and as others have pointed out, Peyton’s health will be a question all year.

56. Brandon Marshall has had off-field issues, but he sounds so impressive in his press conference (on NFL Network), especially when he’s talking about bipolar disorder. I love to hear athletes who sound like they actually got an education in college.

57. Hawkzilla says:

I hate to say what’s already been said but man I really want to see them take this gamble on Flynn. I definitely didn’t feel that way about Kolb last year…

There are so many ways to give a him a good contract with the safety of an out if he is not the guy. Make this happen P.Schneiddy!

58. Why would PM want an 8th overall pick backing him up when that asset could be traded for a high pick that would actually help PM win games in TN? If you were Earl Thomas, would you want the Hawks to use a 1st round pick on someone to back you up or would you rather they draft someone who is going to play? It’s not a perfect comparision, but you should get the point.

59. BM needs to be smart enough to realize that not much good is going to come from being at a night club late at night.

60. HeinieHunter says:

PS/JS Deserve to feel some real heat if they let Flynn end up in Miami. I liked the way the team is going but this do nothing FA and a major hole at QB is not going to help us catch SF, let alone make the playoffs. I shudder at the thought of 16 games with TJ…..boring.

61. grizindabox says:

BobbyK, with the uncertainty of PM’s durability after the injury, the Titans would be dumb to move Locker, who they believe is their future at the position. If the Titans move him, it would be the dumbest move by any team.

62. Twitter is crawling now with sources say Flynn is leaving seattle with no contract. Has been retweeted by Eric

63. Seahawks2620 says:

Schefter is reporting that the Dolphins are the front runners for Flynn. Is it just me or does the man have an unbelievably cynical outlook on the Seahawks. He has a special hatred for us, almost as if he gets some sort of joy out of delivering bad news to us. He personally sent me a tweet during free agency last season, reporting that we had signed Tarvaris Jackson, stating “good luck with that lol”.

64. grizindabox says:

In reality, the Hawks will have to overpay for Flynn because the he wants to play in Miami. All Flynn is doing is jacking the price up for Miami by using the Hawks as leverage.

65. Seahawks2620 says:

Well, another season with Tarvaris. Looks as if we will end up drafting a QB in the draft. We have so many damn holes yet to be filled, JS needs to break out the damn checkbook and start signing some players. I understand that you want to be financially smart, but you have to start filling some of these holes before there are literally no players left to sign. You do not just sign players to sign players, but there are many guys left out there that have very specific skill sets that would help this team in a big way.

66. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

looks like weeden in the second round. and i am okm with that, spent the year watching him win.also he probably even as a rookie would be better than Tjack.

67. grizindabox says:

It has been tweeted that Flynn will not accept a contract from the Hawks prior to visiting Miami. It does not say that he is leaving Seattle without an offer.

68. Seahawks2620 says:

“drafting a QB in the draft” …..duh. haha

69. grizindabox says:

I do not see anyway that the Hawks select Weeden. I think you are more likely going to see Cousins or Osweiler.

70. This pisses me off. I’ not head over heels for Flynn, but do believe he has tons of upside and potential. More potential than tjack. This is so frustrating, i just wish they would close on a deal. Flynn, jones…someone, come on!!

71. ChrisHolmes says:

“BobbyK, with the uncertainty of PM’s durability after the injury, the Titans would be dumb to move Locker, who they believe is their future at the position.”

If I were Tennessee, I wouldn’t trade Locker just because you bring in Peyton Manning. Obviously Manning has health concerns. Even if he returns to form and doesn’t miss a game, do you want to re-enact the Colts’ Curtis Painter mistake? Locker provides them a young backup that they can continue to groom behind Manning. And if Locker is observant, he might learn a thing or two from Peyton in the process.

There are just too many things that make sense for Tennesse to keep Locker. I mean, suppose PM totally rocks and stays healthy. So Tennessee essentially ends up with a Tom Brady situation for a couple more years. Big deal. Trade Locker next year, or the year after. But trading Locker now would be foolish.

Hasselbeck is the guy who gets dumped if PM signs with the Titans.

72. No fat contract for Flynn. He’s a 6th rounder who’s proven nothing. Chad Henne, Jason Campbell, Kyle Orton and the rest could have done the same with the high-powered Packer offense. I’m afraid Flynn is another Kolb or Cassell – a prayer by a desperate franchise. And a very expensive one at that!

Obviously, we have no other good options in FA. Therefore, we’ve got to take a flyer on 1st, 2nd or 3rd round talent in the draft. OR, if the Titans sign Manning – Go get Jake!!

73. Flynn is leaving already? Wow, that meeting must have gone well.

Carroll: We believe in competition.
    Flynn: Coach Philbin says I get to be the starter.
    Carroll: Look at all these evergreen trees!
    Flynn: It’s going to be 80 degrees and sunny all weekend in Miami.
    Carroll: Skin cancer kills.
    Flynn: My girlfriend loves tanning.
    Carroll: Wanna see the VMAC?
    Flynn: Sure, can we see it on the way to the airport?

74. This is like Christmas Eve for overgrown adolescents. Did Santa come yet, did Santa come yet, did Santa come yet!?!… Calm down, get some sleep. Ok… Did Santa come yet?

Nabbing Flynn and Jones would be great towards fulfilling the wish list. One of them would be good. Neither one would equate to the “lump of coal” scenario.

75. HeinieHunter says:

Living up in the NW corner of the country, with a team history of losing, and a poor climate….. YOU CANNOT MATCH OFFERS OR LOW BALL PEOPLE! I am born and raised here and I would sign with Miami if all things were equal.

I’m just sick about this whole free agency period.

76. grizindabox says:

Audible, I have seen nothing that says Flynn is already leaving Seattle for Miami….

77. Flynn is smart to see what Miami has to offer. If he liked Seattle, he will give the Seahawks a chance to match Miami’s offer. The Seahawks are closer to being a championship team than the Dolphins are; hopefully that will work in their favor. However, Flynn probably has a close relationship with the Dolphins HC Philbin and that’s a big advantage for the Phins.

I’m sure PC/JS are comparing Flynn’s skills with those of Weeden, Cousins and other QBs available in the draft and will make any contract offer based on that. I trust them to do the right thing.

78. grizindabox says:

HeinieHunter, maybe so, but a franchise still has to be fiscally responsible. You do remember the days of Tim Ruskell.

79. HeinieHunter says:

Thanks AUDIBLE! You made me laugh out loud and (as you can probably tell) I really needed it. Very very funny!

80. RDPoulsbo says:

We really do need some patience. They’ve been busy signing their own, but when it comes to other guys, it sure seems he’s following the GB playbook to FA. Let everyone else drive up the price on the big name FAs in the 1st week, then go get the value players in the 2nd week.

81. grizindabox says:

All reports actually have Miami trying to low ball Flynn.

82. Seahawks2620 says:

Current Voids:

LB: K.J. Wright, Malcolm Smith, ?, ?
    QB: Tarvaris Jackson, Josh Portis, ?
    DL: Brandon Mebane, Chris Clemons, Alan Branch, Red Bryant, Lazarius Levingston, ?, ?
    RB: Marshawn Lynch, Leon Washington, ?

Pete and John need to get to work.

83. grizindabox says:

This made me laugh

Michael Robinson ‏ @RealMikeRob Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
    Interesting…Drew Brees breaks passing records=Franchise, Manning has surgery on neck=lifetime contract offer. Something’s wrong here
    Retweeted by Danny O’Neil

84. Seahawks2620 says:

As I have argued over these last few days, signing your own players is wonderful, however picking up “bargain” or “value” players to fill in the voids left by Hawthorne and Hill can really diminish a lot of the progress that we made defensively last season.

85. I wonder if “low-balling” means $5 million a year. I don’t think he should expect more than $8 million per year and certainly not more than $20 million in guarantees.

86. HeinieHunter says:

Washington traded the ranch to draft RG3. Was that that responsible? But I like their chances of being a good team soon.

87. grizindabox says:

Heinie, I think the Rams made out like bandits with that deal.

88. HeinieHunter says:

Yeah Griz, I remember Ruskell. He basically tried to low ball Hutchinson and let him get away.

89. I’m as freaked out as the next guy with the QB situation, but people need to chill out.

Everyone was taking about what a great move it was for AZ to sign Kolb last year, who had a lot more experience than Flynn. They’re talking about cutting bait with him after one injury shortened season!

I’m not a Jackson fan, but I am sold so far on the moves Schneider and Carrol have made (Whitehurst notwithstanding).

When I find myself starting to get worked up over them not spending money in FA, I remind myself who is spending money. Washington, Buffalo, Tampa Bay, Jacksonville, etc.

Look who’s not spending money (and who rarely does) in FA. New England, New York, Green Bay, New Orleans, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, etc.

The perenial losers spend big in FA and draft poorly. That’s why Seattle was in the boat they were in when Schneider and Carrol got here.

Don’t overpay for Flynn!! Sign him for a reasonable contract, or find your QB in the draft. And please stop asking for Locker! I had enough of listening to people talk about his potential for the last 5 years. Let the people of Tennessee talk about him not living up to his potential!

90. HeinieHunter says:

Like I said they gave away the ranch! Still RG3 looks worth the risk. If you don’t have a QB in this age you’re done!

91. grizindabox says:

Heinie, you use the 1 example of Ruskell trying to low ball. But lets not forget SA, Bryce Fisher, Grant Wistrom and the slew of others that Ruskell had to overpay, and in the end really screwed the Hawks.

92. NFL Network just showed John Fox, John Elway and all (Denver’s brass) getting off a plane at the Raleigh, N.C., airport to go and see Peyton work out. Talk about exciting TV!

93. grizindabox says:

Well Heinie, the Hawks should offer Flynn whatever he wants then.

94. Oh my God, now they’re following the van on the road! It’s like the O.J. Simpson chase.

95. grizindabox says:

Hawks looking to jump all over Kameron Wimbley when he is released by Oakland today.

96. I’m definitely on an island. But I loved the move Ruskel made with Hutchinson.

He didn’t try to lowball, he was trying to avoid another Walter Jones situation of having to use the franchise tag every year.

Transition tag a guy, let him find a great offer from another team, and you match it. Saves on the cap, you lock up a guy long term, and you’re not in protracted negotiations ever single off season!

Can’t blame the guy for Hutch’s agent and the Vikings being spineless.

97. nighthawk2 says:

Agree with everything that McGraff said. If I had my way, Flynn would already be signed, T-Joke would be told “Thanks for playing and here’s some lovely parting gifts and a bus ticket for Buffalo”. And I’d sign Shaun Hill as a veteran backup.

98. HeinieHunter says:

Manning will sign with Niners giving him a great opportunity to finish his career with chances to go to the Super Bowl every year, which is the only thing he really wants. This is a black day in Hawk history.

99. grizindabox says:

HeinieHunter’s new name is Chicken Little

100. nighthawk2 says:

He’s only worked out for San Fran, but yeah, that would be a good spot to accomplish his goals, other than being in his brother’s conference. If he wants to try to stick to Indy twice a year, then Tennessee, and if he likes hot weather and a chance to guest star on Burn Notice, it would have been Miami. Denver? Like Tennessee they need interior o-line upgrades, WR upgrades (Britt is kind of injury prone too), and an improved D-line and secondary.