Report: Chad Henne signs with Jacksonville

Post by Eric Williams on March 14, 2012 at 5:05 pm with 29 Comments »
March 14, 2012 5:05 pm

Looks like the Seattle Seahawks have one less quarterback to select from in free agency.

Tania Ganguli of the Florida Times-Union reports that Chad Henne has signed a two-year deal with the Jacksonville Jaguars, where he’ll get a chance to compete with Blaine Gabbert for the starting quarterback job.

Henne was scheduled to visit Seattle today, although I have not confirmed with the team if he made the trip or not. The Seahawks still expect Matt Flynn to visit the team’s facility tomorrow.

NFL free agency
  1. Bummer….he would’ve been a great back up for Flynn or Cousins.

2. I like Henne, I don’t think he was given much of a prayer in Miami, but can do better in a different system. This is sort of a relief to me, to be honest, as I was worried about Seattle signing him and ignoring Flynn, who I expect Seattle to sign this week.

3. I came up with a motto for Seattle, about the playoffs.

“Flynn and we’re in”

4. If Shiancoe signs, we are more or less the Seattle Vikings, Bobbyk must be ecstatic about that, at least it seems we are generally picking some of their better players..

Good! Henne is out of the picture!

I still think there’s an outside chance that Manning or Mario Williams will at least make a visit.

6. Miami still thinks they are in the Manning race and they aren’t. It will be interesting to see what they do with Flynn once Manning signs with Tenn.

Henne was was given nearly 2 seasons to start for Miami, prior to his injury last season. That seems like a pretty good opportunity, to me.

8. chuck_easton says:

The only way Mario Williams will be making a visit to Seattle is the next time the Bills are in town for a game.

He’s still in Buffalo and will be back at their headquarters tomorrow to sign a contract.

9. Seahawks2620 says:

There was so much pressure on Henne to protect the ball, that he was unable to just go out there and have fun. It’s kind of hard to get a good read on his potential.

As far as Curtis Lofton goes, I still prefer going for the much cheaper option in Larry Grant.

10. SeahawkFan12 says:

Good. Moving on…

11. Chuck has that right…. We’re out of the Mario race…

12. Seahawks2620 says:

I am no longer interested in Williams. They will have a pretty formidable defensive line with Dareus and Williams. Can’t really speak for the entire team as a whole, but it doesn’t look that optimistic of a situation. :\

Every QB in the league is under pressure to protect the ball. That’s not exclusive to Miami.

14. Flynn or bust!

15. Seahawks2620 says:

I am aware of that, you don’t have to have such a cynical outlook on my comment. That is evident with all teams. My intentions were to point out that listening to Sporano speak and hearing him in his press conferences, he spoke with a lot of demands for a young raw QB in the NFL. In my opinion, it was a lot to put on a young kid who didn’t exactly have the best supporting cast and certainly wasn’t the second coming of Peyton Manning. He almost couldn’t be himself, just relax and perform to the best of his ability. Now, some men in this league have the ability to thrive under that sort of pressure. Some QB’s need to be nurtured from the get go to evolve into the good to great quarterback that they could potentially become.

If Carroll wants to up the ante over the Bills then he has a window to do that.
    I seriously doubt that Williams would be choosing the Bills because he thinks they are a better team.
    I don’t want to see the FO break the bank over any one player, however if they really want this guy than I think there is still a chance to make it happen. Very slight chance,imo.

17. I agree that Henne wasn’t in the best situation in Miami.

But neither was Matt Staford – and he did ok.

Did you see the contract that Megatron signed? Wow.

18. edstang45 says:

too much money for Mario I would have liked to see him in seahawks uniform but not for 20 mil a year, Glad we didn’t sell the farm for him also glad he’s not in division

19. If a Matt lines up at QB and Hutch is at LG to start ’12 we’re not allowed to criticize the FO anymore:)

I’ll be one of those mindless fools that blindly follows them through a brick wall if they get this done. Well, maybe not totally, but you get the idea:)

20. Eric retweets that Gallery will be released.

21. Sorry. Pabs beat me to it.

2620 – I wasn’t trying to be cynical. I just find that a peculiar argument. No worries.

23. jarred767 says:

I like the moves they’re making. Adding mcquistan is huge for depth. I’d they confirm Hutch, then this really good for the line.

24. Flynn IT to win IT!!!

Hutch
    Jones
    Grant

25. RDPoulsbo says:

Thank god for teams desparate for QBs…I may not like T-Jax, but I’m not blind to the fact that there are QBs out there worse than him.

Looks like they just cut Gallery, so we might actually see them sign Hutch.

26. Seahawks2620 says:

Dukeshire- No doubt. Cynical was a poor choice of wordage. It’s hard to explain why I feel as if Henne did not get a “fair” opportunity to show what he is made of in Miami. After all, just like you alluded to, he was give 2 freakin seasons to do so. Egh, in the end it doesn’t matter for us, he is in Jacksonville for the next 2 years. haha

27. Gallery looks sorta like a bearded lesbian in his picture on rotoworld.

28. mojjonation says:

Someone send Jax a case of salmon for keeping Henne off of our doorstep. Peyton to the Titans, MH to Cleveland, Flynn to here, Miami out in the cold without a QB until the draft? Or are they considering going with Matt Moore and no wide outs. If MH goes to Cleveland, and starts, I’ll put it out there that he is injured before the end of October.