Report: Manning expected to visit Titans

Post by Eric Williams on March 12, 2012 at 11:45 am with 63 Comments »
March 12, 2012 12:15 pm

This Peyton Manning thing gets crazier by the minute. According to Michael Lombardi of the NFL Network, the Tennessee Titans are preparing for a visit from Manning in a day or two, according to two league sources.

I guess it doesn’t matter that they drafted Jake Locker as the team’s quarterback of the future last year and brought in Matt Hasselbeck from Seattle to mentor him. Manning, of course, played collegiately at the University of Tennessee.

And Manning is familiar with the Titans, having played them twice a year while in Indianapolis.

A couple days ago, Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean reported that Titans owner Bud Adams wanted his team to go after Manning.

“He is the man I want. Period,” Adams told the Tennessean. “And the people that work for me understand that. They know who I want. I want Mr. Manning with the Titans and I will be disappointed if it doesn’t happen.”

Arizona and Denver remains the favorites after hosting Manning over the weekend. Miami and Kansas City reportedly are still in the hunt. The Seahawks remain interested.

And now the Titans – stay tuned.

UPDATE: ESPN’s Chris Mortensen reports Manning will meet with Tennessee and Miami away from the teams’ facilities.

NFL free agency
  1. Whoa. I wonder if Manning would want to play the Colts twice a year. That’s going to hurt Colts fans. Of course, Brett Favre was eager to sign with the Vikings, so he could stick it to the Packers, so perhaps Manning would like to do the same. Beating Andrew Luck would probably give him some satisfaction.

Poor Matt. He should have stayed in Seattle.

2. chrisj122 says:

If we can’t get Matt Flynn, maybe we get Matt Hasselbeck back. Lol….

3. This whole thing is a hilarious spectacle on-par with the LeBron ridiculousness.

Still, I can’t help but be amused at how everyone interested in the NFL is being forced onto this rollercoaster.

So interested to see how this all pans out.

4. CAN WE STEAL LOCKER?!?!?!? That would just make my day! He played well in his time

I know, I know they still need him as the QB of the future but I would love to dream about him coming back here.

5. jchawks08 says:

At what point do the Hawks officially pull out of the Manning sweepstakes? He seems to have no interest in coming for a visit. Fine with me. Let’s just move on, JS/PC. Do your hoodoovoodoo on Flynn or someone else.

6. freedom_X says:

You never know. If they sign Manning the Titans may want to go for it all now (ASAP.) If Seattle offers their #12 pick plus maybe a bit extra, the Titans would have more pieces to go with Manning (get him an top WR prospect, for example.)

It’s far more likely that they cut Hasselbeck loose, but if they do sign Manning, I can see a scenario where they try to give Manning everything they can right away. Plus, Manning’s never had a young, anointed successor ever in his career. He might not be comfortable with one now (sounds weird, but he is a bit of a control freak…)

7. HawkfaninMT says:

No reason at all to pull out or stop showing interest. At the very least it drives the price up for the other teams.

On another topic… I just saw the Rams released Jason brown. He was a big time signing to play at Center and was less than successful in their scheme. Not sure what type of scheme they run compared to our, or his age. Wonder how he would fit in place of Gallery?

8. freedom_X says:

Clarification – of course I mean Seattle trading for Locker if the Titans sign Manning. #12 in this draft is not a big dropoff from #8 last year.

Sometimes though, the unheralded team is the one that makes the signing. Look at the baseball offseason – did anyone go where people expected them to go?

9. That’s a strange move in light of Locker waiting in the wings – and looking promising last year. I assumed Locker was the QB by mid-season of this year, and if not, then next year at the latest.

Peyton fever I guess .. . .

10. chrisj122 says:

The possibility of Manning going to Ten. creates a lot of interesting, fun senario’s to ponder but I’m still hopeing he goes to Miami because I think that will give us the best shot at getting Flynn.

11. langfordhawk says:

I still have’nt heard of PM throwing a football during these visits.
    I’m I the only one who thinks it insane to sign him without a workout??
    Let the buyer beware…

12. chrisj122 says:

He still has to pass a physical for whoever signs him, but none the less it does seem kinda crazy signing him to big money without knowing exactly what he is capable of. This why I haven’t been big on the Manning thing. To much unkown with his strength and capability and your working in a 3yr window at the very, very best.

13. freedom_X says:

The Titans thing sounds like a bit of a loose cannon owner firing off. But, as Bud Adams says, he is the owner. Of the teams thus far mentioned as Manning destinations, I’d like to see him go to the Titans the most. (though the entertainment value of Tebow/Manning might be hard to beat.)

Unless Manning is really dictating take it or leave it, I can’t see how he picks a team by Tuesday. I’d like to see him come to Seattle, but not if he won’t take a physical. Now I think it’s going to take a huge sum to get him signed. If there’s no medical protection, it would be too great a risk for me.

14. RDPoulsbo says:

As long as Peyton remains unsigned and showing interest in him, whether sincere or not helps to lower the price of Flynn. Besides, when asked about any FA in the past couple years, who haven’t they expressed interest for? To me, it’s all kabuki theater.

15. OCHawkFan says:

From what I have read, Locker was ranked pretty far down on the Hawks draft board last year. I doubt they would pursue him if he were available. Also, for what its worth, SI has Denver as the preferred destination for PM. In that case, they would trade Tebow to Jacksonville making Blaine Gabbert expendable. Thats a situation I’d be interested in. He was the #1 QB on the Hawks board in last years draft. Maybe he just needs to get plugged into the right system with the right personel?

16. ChrisHolmes says:

None of these scenarios get me very excited, with the exception of Miami signing Manning so Seattle has a shot at Flynn. I’m still doubtful about Flynn, but at least he’s had two good games against NFL opponents.

Locker? Inaccurate. When he gets a full season to prove it, Tennessee will see he’s not the answer. Just career backup material.

Gabbert? Worse than Locker. Still more serviceable than Tebow will ever be, but backup material at best.

Now… the thought that does at least pique my interest is Manning signing with the Titans, Tennessee cutting Hasselbeck loose to resign with Seattle, and us drafting Tannehill. Because I doubt Tannehill would be a guy who is ready to take over an NFL offense from day #1, but sitting behind a guy like Matt for a year might do him wonders. And it would at least give the Hawks a clear path to the future at the QB position, whereas right now it looks like rejects & castoffs, and that’s not a succession plan…

17. Palerydr says:

Just to throw a little cold water on this pipe dream here’s a piece about Gabbert needless to say I’m not on this water slide.

18. Gabbert, not impressed. Manning to Dever, not happening. Manning to Miaimi, probably going to happen. Manning to Tennesse, what would we be willing to give up for Locker, if anything. I like the idea of trying to go for Locker IF Manning ends up in Tennesse, but he’s not. I think Flynn has got to be where the Hawks got to go.

19. SaigonSun says:

Thanks but. no thanks on Manning and Flynn. I’d take Hass back any time. Titans can’t afford Manning, Hass and Locker together.One of them will be let go.
    Before the “bounty-gate” surfaced , I honestly believed the Saints would have been the place for him to retire (PM)which would have made Brees an FA for us to chase.
    Tennessee makes a lot of sence for Manning, and Locker and / or Hass to the Seahawks sounds just as great.
    If not, I’d like an good DE ( Mario Williams or Calais Campbell) ,and one more D player in free agency. I still like RB Mike Bush to back-up the Beast.
    The first day of draft I’d like Stanfords’ OT Martin ,or OG Decastro.
    The best defensive line/ LB player left should be taken in the second and I’d “reach” for QB Kellen Moore with our third pick.
    One more day,Ladies and Gents; one more day and the fun will start. Hopefully, we’ll have a lot to cheer about.
    Love them ‘Hawks.

Manning signing with whomever, cannot come soon enough, so this dog and pony show can mercifully come to an end.

21. Seahawks2620 says:

Carl Nicks’ asking price is absurd. I am sorry but the guy is unrealistic and full of himself. I don’t want any part of him at that price. More than 9 million a year for a GUARD!!!? Hell no!

22. ryanryan says:

i would bet seattle isn’t interested in signing hasselbeck, locker or gabbert. the mere thought of that makes me pine for flynn – and i don’t even think flynn is going to be successful.

heck, tannehill may not even be available at the 12th pick – and to me he is a second rounder. i am not thrilled about any of the options at qb other than manning…and even that option reeks of desperation.

i would love to resign heater, but he was pretty well hobbled last year and has the knees of a 32 year old so don’t want to overpay for his services.

tomorrow cannot get here soon enough.

*sigh

23. ryanryan says:

@duke…no doubt, i’m waiving my white flag (not to be mistaken for a terrible towel) on manning…its sucking the life force out of me and must stop soon.

24. Palerydr says:

Saigonsun thx for bringing some humour to the blog today
    1. Calais Campbell was franchised not gonna sign him
    2. Mike Bush is rumoured to be looking for starter money regardless we have about 12 mil in RB cap space between Lynch and Washington not likely we add more big money to that position when we can draft a RB in the later rounds.
    3. We need a QB/Pass rusher from our first pick unless we sign Mario Williams which at least we can agree on. We don’t need a Tackle/Guard however they may draft one but I don’t see it.
    4. Kellen Moore in the 3rd LMFAO! Sure glad you’re not our GM but again thx for the laugh.

25. I want Manning to sign with the Titans and the Seahawks to trade their number 1 pick for Locker. If he signs with Miami, the Seahawks will be able to draft Tannehill.

If he signs with the Cardinals or Broncos, BobbyK will need therapy.

26. hawkfan777 says:

I am not sold on Flynn for some reason. I just cant get excited about him. I watched his two NFL games and his stats are not a good reflection of his actual play. He had tons of yards after the catch. His arm and decision making didnt look great to me. Of course, that is just my opinion and it is based on only two games. Maybe he would improve with more time but I worry about his play declining once defenses have enough tape of him. I am sure Bobby’s blood pressure is rising as he reads this.

I like Chris Holmes’ thoughts on bringing in Hasselbeck (If Titans were to release him) and drafting Tannehill. Although, Cleveland might draft Tannehill before the 12th pick so he may not even be available.

27. I don’t think the Titans would trade their future QB away, as what would they do if Manning got hurt and they had nobody ready in the wings? They wouldn’t want to pull another Colts scenario from this past season (unless they kept Matt to back-up, which I doubt they would if they had Manning). I’d be more than happy with Locker though and would be thrilled to trade our pick for him.

Maybe tomorrow we’ll have traded for Freeney and Reggie Wayne will be on a plane to Seattle and we’ll end up with that meeting with Manning ourselves:)

Yeah, I just want tomorrow to actually come so we can see what’s going on. I wonder if we’re going to call in Flynn tomorrow?

There’s so many QB potential options/scenarios that it’s mind boggling. Flynn. Manning. If Manning goes to TN/Matt, AZ/Kolb, etc. Crazy. I think my head is going to explode.

28. hawkfan – There are legit reasons to doubt Flynn. He’s certainly not a slam dunk. You have very valid reasons to question him. He just seems like the best option of what we know is available. I know we can’t “panic” but at the same time can’t be waiting until Earl Thomas retires before we get a QB.

29. bigmike04 says:

Jake Locker is overated.. Wasn’t even in Seattle Sehawks top pick in their draft board.. Face it people, all this love fest for Locker has to stop.. Locker just not that good..

Their no way Peyton going to signed by tommorow.. That is fact as he didn’t take his agent to Denver or Arizona..

John Elway has to be the stupidest person in that Denver Broncos office.. Was once a great QB but as guy in charge, the guy sucks. He never once did like Tim Teabown & is looking for a way to get rid of him.. If Tim Teabow did get cut, nobody is going to want him perid..

I cannot honestly think Peyton go to Titians because last yr it was up & down roll coaster for them & this season is like that.. Chris Johnson seenm his better days already.

30. If we got Matt back and drafted Tannenhill, I’d have a big ol’ smile on my face:)

That’s one of my favorite scenarios! There would be money available for Mario Williams in that option, too!

31. TN needs to sign a really good guard. Their interior OL was pretty brutal last year.

32. You could see Kolb in Seattle on the cheap if Manning goes to Arizona.

Manning wants to only play in the AFC South. What if he made it a condition to the Titans for signing him that they trade away Locker to get him more immediate help in the form of a high draft pick? They would do it.

I doubt you see Seattle having any interest in Matt Flynn unless they can sign him for around $6m a year which won’t happen unless the market really dries up for him.

33. The more I look at it the more I think we draft Tannehill and go into the year with Tjack as our starter

34. SaigonSun says:

Palerydr, you’re welcome. I sure didn’t know about Campbell (maybe because I work about 70 hours weekly & this blog is the only relaxation/fun I have). I like QB Moore a lot and would spend a third pick on him. Look at slightly lesser QB Dalton tearing it up at Cincy. Amazing how many expert GMs passed on him (all of them?) Moore has won more than Dalton and is better and smarter at the QB position.
    It is ok to be entertained by other posts. I’ll lough at you in five years or less.

35. hawkfan777 says:

Wow, it looks like the Hawks have 1.6 million more in cap space. Cowboys and Redskins really made a big mistake here.

36. chrisj122 says:

I don’t see any realistic senario where we get Matt Hasselbeck back (although I would be all for it). For P.C. & J.S. to bring back Hass they would essentially be admitting that they made a mistake by letting him go and instead of moving on from that mistake they turn back that page a year later.

I just don’t see any way in hell that happens.

37. Welcome back, pabs!

38. It could happen b/c they didn’t believe in their line last year and they do this year. I’d respect the heck out of them if they brought him back if it’s what they thought was best for the team. Gotta bring a young guy in too.

39. seahawk44 says:

Palerydr …. why the hate on Kellen Moore? That kid is a winner and an extremely accurate passer. He is about 6′ tall and his arm is not as weak as some say it is. Maybe a 3rd is too high for him, but I believe he will be a winner on the next level also and hope he is drafted by the Seahawks

40. bigmike04 says:

Titians won’t let go of Locker is he their future QB.. IF anything they will cut Hasselback..

41. chrisj122 says:

Bobby I see what your saying but I just don’t see any way it happens at this level the ego’s are just to big. P.C. & J.S. would really have swallow some pride and hope that Hass isn’t bitter about his departure.

However if they did do it I would be totally sold on the win forever and competition modo’s, the blah, blah, team first philsophy would really mean something.

42. chuck_easton says:

I think we have all established that BobbyK has needed therapy long before this latest incident! I am just now recovering from the Hutch rants…now we have moved on to the TJack rants.

43. SandpointHawk says:

Pabs….don’t be such a stranger….we need your input…

OK did someone really say Manning to the Saints and they let Brees fly into the FA market…Thanks for making my night….That’s the best one I’ve heard in the last week….

44. ChrisHolmes says:

“But Bobby just might need 24 hour observation if Manning signs with either Denver or Arizona.”

Sadly, those seem like the most likely scenarios though. Especially ARZ. I mean, if you’re Manning, it has to make a difference to know you get to throw to one of the top 5 WR’s in the league for the rest of your career… We all know how Manning really loves to throw to receivers he trusts.

The way I see this: Seattle is out of the Manning race, whether it’s official or not. They have to get SOMEONE for the future. Cast-offs and has-beens from other teams are not a way forward. TJack was a stopgap measure at the position; he was a last-ditch effort after everything else failed last off-season. As much as I love Hasselbeck and would welcome him back, he’s also a stopgap. So there has to be a permanent (or what looks like a permanent) solution happening soon.

At some point in time this off-season Seattle has to answer the larger question: What is your plan for the future in regards to the QB position?

The way I see it, three legitimate options: Flynn, Kolb (dependent on Manning landing in ARZ, which I see as the best bet right now) or Tannehill.

And honestly, I think right now I’m leaning Tannehill. He’s the biggest question mark, but might also have the biggest upside of the three. But if they go in that direction, I really hope they land a veteran to challenge TJack, like a Hasselbeck or Orton, because the poor kid won’t learn squat from watching Jackson (except maybe what NOT to do…).

I can’t imagine any way Tenn dumps Locker either.

46. chrisj122 says:

If Kolb is released he then will be among the list of so called cast-off Q.B.’s and I do not want any part of that.

For me it boils down to only one real posibility and that Matt Flynn. If we can’t land him then all attention will be toward the draft as far as QB is concerened.

47. seahawk44 says:

If the Seahawks lose Heater and Hill, then LB becomes a major need to address. I am all for drafting Luke Keuchly at #12 provided he is still available.

Everything that happens in the draft will depend on what happens in free agency.

I believe that Tannehill is NOT worth a 1st round pick. I would rather spend a pick later in the draft on a developmental rookie QB. (which is what Tannehill is)

If Manning is not a Dolphin, Miami will overpay for Flynn leaving Seattle without either of those free agents. It looks like it will be Tavaris Jackson, and a lesser free agent brought in to push him. There are plenty of names available : Orton, Campbell, Grossman, Henne, Garrard, Carr, McNabb, Young …. not necessarily names that excite, but each of them have been starters in the NFL.

Re-sign Red Bryant!!! AND get super Mario!!

Seattle will be a run 1st team with a dominant defense for 2012.

48. Manning is going to Miami or AZ. So we either got to battle with Cleavland to get Flynn, decide whether or not to take a stab at Kolb, or draft a QB. I have a feeling Williams is going to be a Hawk, which will be awesome, and then we draft another DL or LB. I don’t think Tannehill is worth the 12th, but if he turns out to be a superstar down the road, then that’s shame on me. I wonder if we could trade out of the 1st this year to a potential shitty team and get their 1st next year and try for a QB next year in the draft, i.e. Barkley or whoever s nuts everyone is on. We could draft a QB in the 3rd or 4th not named Moore or Wilson and see what happens. I don’t know, I still want to go after Flynn though.

49. Looks like the Texans have now contacted Manning. I bet this is where he wants to go! Same division as Colts (gets to pound them twice per season), good team, good OL, great run game, gets to throw to A. Johnson. Good defense. Indoors. I wonder how much Kubiac would tinker his offense for Manning?

50. So Shaub then?

51. And Williams, I could live with that.

52. raymaines says:

I look forward to the chaos and anarchy that we would see if the Manning “dog and pony show” lasted well into the free agent signing period. I’d love it if PM didn’t sign until after the 17 and AZ had to make a decision on Kolb’s contract. What would the agents for Gabbert, Flynn, Locker, and Matt Schaub, etc. do? Who’d blink first? This has been the best reality show ever and I don’t want it to end any time soon.

53. freedom_X says:

Where/who said Locker wasn’t on Seattle’s top draft board? If you believe John Schneider’s recent expository on what he looks for in a QB, Locker is more a Seattle fit than I ever thought before.

Granted, as I said, it doesn’t seem likely or sensible that Tennessee would trade Locker. But I also don’t underrate the power of Manning and his ability to dictate. If Manning is dictating things and feels uncomfortable with a young, designated successor, then an opportunity might exist.

If you like Gabbert (which I don’t) Jacksonville could offer a chance as well. The point is, the Manning move may make options available for Seattle, even if he doesn’t want to come here.

54. grizindabox says:

Eric Winston released by Texans. There is the OT that would move Carpenter to LG and make the line solid.

55. chrisj122 says:

I have a friend who is a huge Colts fan. I would enjoy seeing Manning beat up on his old team 2x a year, just so I could poor some salt in that wound. Lol…..

56. hawkfan777 says:

As noted above by griz. Winston would be great for the Hawks. Rated as a top 6 tackle. Young and has experience in a zone blocking scheme.

57. Then they shouldn’t have signed Breno to play RT.

58. seahawk44 says:

Several free agent LB’s on the left side of 30 could be an upgrade.

Stephen Tulloch
    Curtis Lofton

anyone agree?

I’m excited for free agency to begin. PC and JS get to start their buying.

59. freedom_X says:

Regarding the Cowboy/Redskin salary cap debacle, I remember here on this blog some people advocating that same stuff (sign people to a monster 2010 1-year deal) to take advantage of the uncapped year. But there were also others who were sure that any future labor agreement would ding anyone who tried that trick, and it certainly appears the latter camp was correct.

No wonder the Redskins were out of the running for Manning. They had no money to pay him, so they both just accepted that reality.

The problem for Washington is, draft picks are the cheap, managable way to add talent to salary cap strapped teams. They got their QB at a manageble price, but who are they going to be able to add around him? It could be a rough couple years for Griffin unless the Redskins can pull some Schneider personnel magic and get starters out of retreads and mid-round picks.

60. ChrisHolmes says:

Not excited for FA. Just because my gut tells me we’re not going to get what we need or want out of this offseason.

I’ll be happy if I’m wrong…

61. Palerydr says:

@Saigonsun you came on the blog and apparently don’t have time to check your statements that’s cool. I expect to get my balls busted for making incorrect assumptions and I have had that happen. Your assumption which you did say was a reach is to value Kellen Moore as a 3rd round pick. I’m no NFL caliber talent evaluater but I could get a consensus from the majority of posters on this blog alone that Moore is not worth a 3rd round pick. So yea I had a good laugh at your expense.

@Seahawkk44 We actually agree I also see the Hawks taking Kuechly especially if they lose Heater. As for Moore I don’t hate the guy I just don’t see him as a viable starter in the NFL. The only reason most people like the guy is cuz he’s from the State. Go to 31 other cities and he’s not showing up until the 7th round. He has an NFL IQ, pretty decent accuracy and 50 wins in college. In the NFL you have to have size, he doesn’t, 2 notable exceptions Drew Brees and Mike Vick both of these guys have superior athleticism then Moore. You have to have arm strength, he doesn’t. If the guy were to change nothing other than grow 5 inches I might draft him otherwise I pass. I would however extend him a FA contract.

62. cseahawk says:

Randy Moss just signed with 49ers. Would have preferred that not happen.