Yes, the Hawks plan to franchise Lynch

Post by Eric Williams on March 2, 2012 at 10:43 am with 30 Comments »
March 2, 2012 10:44 am

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported earlier today that the Seattle Seahawks intend to place the franchise tag on running back Marshawn Lynch on Monday if the two sides do not reach an agreement over the weekend.

Seahawks general manager John Schneider stated that was their intention during the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis last week.

The franchise tag number for running backs is $7.7 million. The deadline to apply the franchise tag is Monday.

The report comes on the heels of reports that several teams will place franchise tags on some of their top free agents, including Philadelphia’s Desean Jackson, Atlanta’s Brent Grimes and San Francisco’s Dashon Goldson.

Since 2000, only twice have the Seahawks not used the franchise tag designation.

Seattle did not use the franchise tag last year. But two years ago they franchised kicker Olindo Mare.

“We have big plans for him being with us,” Seattle head coach Pete Carroll said in Indianapolis. “He knows that. And he understands that. And we’re just working it out right now.”

NFL free agency

Of course I’m very happy he’s not going anywhere. But I’m still hoping for a productive weekend, and they can get a deal done (or shortly thereafter so they can pull the tag).

2. chuck_easton says:

If Rice, Forte, and Lynch all get tagged it’s likely none of their agents are going to be pushing too hard for a long term deal. Each is hoping one of the respective teams will panic and set the bar real high. Nobody wants to be the one that sets the bar too low.

Still not impossible, but more improbable to get a long term deal done this year.

3. Palerydr says:

If a player signs the tender can a long term deal still be worked out or is the team on the hook for the year at 7.7 mil?

4. RDPoulsbo says:

I highly doubt Rice, Forte or Lynch will want to play under the tag and would rather have a long term deal in place. RBs get injured, so a long term deal much more preferrable. The talks are likely over how much of those contracts are guaranteed money.

5. SandpointHawk says:

Good point Chuck, now starts the game of chicken…

6. RDPoulsbo says:

They can negotiate a long term deal if they’re tagged, but once they get the tag, it immediately counts against the cap. That most hurts a team in the first few weeks of free agency when they’re trying to land high profile FAs.

7. freedom_X says:

Seattle has plenty of cap room so they should be able to get any free agent they want even with Lynch being tagged. I doubt Seattle would have gone out and spent to the limit of the cap anyway, and a free agent contract would probably be structured to have a low cap hit the 1st few years.

8. JazBadAzz says:

Draft trent Richardson if he is there and I bet Lynch and his agent gulp and take the deal!

If he is not there take Melvin Ingram and get Doug Martin in the 2nd

Weeden in the 3rd

BOOK IT!!!

9. Well, if he stays tagged. At least, we won’t’ have to worry about a Haynesworth situation. With a one year tag, you can guarantee ML will run as hard as he did last season.

10. RDPoulsbo says:

Seattle and Chicago won’t have a problem with the tag, but it’s tough to swallow for Baltimore. They may be the ones that have to set the market price if they’re going to want to be players in FA as well.

11. DisplacedSeahawkFan says:

I thought we could only franchise 1 player. Moreover, I didn’t know that Rice’s contract was up already, what’s the deal with that? Lastly, although we’d be fortunate to draft Trent Richardson, I’m beginning to get a serious man crush (no homo) on QB Brock Osweiler.

Brock is 6’7″ and has a cannon for an arm. Everything I’ve read about him says he can easily make every NFL throw. Here is his CBS profile: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1664777/brock-osweiler . The only question mark about him is his limited experience: he only started like 15 games as QB. Still, I wouldn’t be mad if we grabbed him in the first round and gave him a year under T.Jack to develop.

12. scorpeeo says:

The Rice he is referring to is Ray Rice of the Ravens and yes you can only have one franchise tag.

And mark it down, as soon as ML gets the money he will go in the tank.

13. JazBadAzz says:

Le’Ron McClain is an intriguing free agent, but Im not sure he is a special team ace like Robinson….

Hey Eric, whats going on with the other free agents? JS and PC said we were going to focus on our on guys but we have only sign Breno so far?

14. JazBadAzz says:

scorpeeo your nuts for saying that about Beastmode! He doesn’t have that type of blood to punk out! I should flag your comment as inappropriate! lol

15. DisplacedSeahawkFan says:

Speaking of FA’s, I hope we snag Mario Williams. I know he’s more of an outside LB in a 3-4 scheme, but I know Carrol would figure out a way to use him in the hybrid 4-3 scheme he uses. Moreover, since there doesn’t seem to be an elite DE in the upcoming draft, provided we keep Bryant, acquiring Williams eliminates the need to use a high draft pick on a DE.

16. Palerydr says:

Ths Hawks will not take Osweiler in the first they may take him in the 2nd. IMO it’s a coin flip between him and Cousins.

Running backs are just not worth it anymore in signing them to huge long contracts. Imo.
    If the Shawn Alexander signing didn’t teach the NFL FOs anything, I’m sure the Johnson signing in Tennessee did.

Keep the Beast hungry!

18. DisplacedSeahawkFan says:

Paleydr, I’m pretty sure you are right. I know that taking him in the first is a bit of a reach (to say the least). They reached on Carpenter and I’m sure that they regret it, even if they won’t admit it. However, the fear, of course, is that he won’t be there in the second. Especially if the Redskins don’t grab a QB in the first round. I really don’t envy Schneider or Carrol for having to make possibly career ruining draft decisions like this.

19. Glad to know we’re not losing him. Pretty clearly our most valuable player last season – and the way he runs set the tone for the whole squad.

Getting very ancy for March 13 . . .

20. JazBadAzz says:

@DisplacedSeahawkFa- Mario played in the 3-4 one year. I is better suited for the 4-3

And the comment about ruining a franchise is absurd! they will build this franchise up to the top and place ass firmly!!!

p.s. This draft is extremely deep in DL, not sure where your getting your info but Im glad to help! :)

21. DisplacedSeahawkFan says:

JazzBadAzz I think you misread my comment, or maybe I wasn’t clear. Nonetheless, I didn’t mean to imply that they’d ruin this franchise by getting bad draft picks; rather, I meant that they could eventually ruin their careers by consistently picking draft busts. Lastly, where are you getting your draft information from? I mainly use CBSSports (because it’s free). According to them, the only 1st round worthy DE is Quinton Coples. Their are a few other DE’s that are projected as 1-2 round prospects, which tells me they’re a reach. The other DE’s are projected to go in later rounds, which I interpret to mean that this isn’t a strong draft class for DE’s. There are four first round worthy DT’s, but the consensus is we need a pass rushing DE more than a DT at this point.

22. JazBadAzz says:

I understand DisplacedSeahawkFa, I like the glass half filled! I dont want to even think about drafting busts.

Often times websites miss label players. Like Melvin Ingram is probably labeled as LB but in reality he will be a DE in the nfl! Check out Mike Mayock he’s and awesome scout/nfl analyst!

23. azhawkman says:

Being from Arizona I’ve seen plenty of Osweiler, trust me, do not go there. Cousins or Weeden is a better option in the 2nd or 3rd round. Both are smart QBs with more experience and know how to win tough games. I’d rather have Kellen Moore in round 5/6 than Osweiler. Look at the film and not just the measureables.

24. kinger12 says:

I have to say I don’t see the Beast slowing down regardless of contract or tag he seems to have only one speed – BRUISING.
    This is not the same situation as Shaun “sniper in the grass 3 yds behind the gain line” Alexander and he was working behind an amazing line and the best LT ever. And while he put up big numbers I shudder to think how good our numbers would have been with a better RB like a LT or even ML now.
    I think ML will be still wanting his skittles fix and get to that endzone whenever he can. And his history supports that from college and even with the very poor Bills line he ran behind. He fought every time he just wasn’t get any breaks.

25. It’s gonna be up to Marshawn what happens. My sense is that J.S. is sharp enough to calibrate exactly where Marshawn’s money and years should be to be both maximally worthwhile to him and to the team. If Marshawn’s agent goes for the franchise, he must think Marshawn will make more next year. But that’s their bet.

26. I don’t care if the players “LIKE” the franchise tag. As a fan I love the idea ( I will say that I don’t like it if they keep putting it on year after year)

It is not a perfect system but benefit both sides. Team can keep them to help the team. Player gets a big chunk of change.

I am not sure who I want at 12 – I know I want someone who will contribute.
    There are days I want Tannehill, Still, Richardson, De Castro, etc. Good thing I am not the one making the decision. But then again I would also know who I am going after in FA.

As far as resigning our guys – just because they haven’t signed doesn’t mean that they haven’t tried. It takes 2 to tango, the player as to agree to what the team is offering

27. Forte is the first to get the tag

According to Larry Mayer of ChicagoBears.com, the Bears have slapped the franchise tag on Forte that will pay him $7.7 million next season,

28. wabubba67 says:

No on Osweiler! The guy is inaccurate and immature.

29. Tagging Lynch and letting him play on the one year contract while drafting Richardson is my ideal situation. Richardson is the next great NFL running back and his talent is a great value at 12 even if his position isn’t.