Morning links: Carlson an option for Bears ?

Post by Eric Williams on March 2, 2012 at 12:12 pm with 61 Comments »
March 2, 2012 12:15 pm
AP Photo

Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune writes that Seattle Seahawks soon-to-be free agent John Carlson could be an option for the Chicago Bears, who are looking to upgrade the tight end position.

Because of a week tight end class in the draft, teams likely will be looking more toward free agency for talent at the position. Biggs also notes that Carlson played college at nearby Notre Dame.

Biggs: Although he missed the entire 2011 season after suffering a torn labrum in his shoulder last summer, he was a reliable producer before that. Carlson missed only one game through his first three seasons. In 2008 and 2009, he caught 106 passes for 1,201 yards and 12 touchdowns.

Carlson didn’t put up the same kind of numbers in 2010 when new Bears quarterbacks coach Jeremy Bates was the offensive coordinator in Seattle. He made just 31 receptions for 318 yards, but the Seahawks had quarterback issues. Seattle might want Carlson back, but the Seahawks signed Zach Miller last summer and have other needs to address.”

The Folks at NFL Playbook believe the Seattle Seahawks should build around Tarvaris Jackson instead of bringing in a quarterback through the draft or free agency to start next season.

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com talks with the team’s director of college scouting Scott Fitterer and defensive line coach Todd Wash about what they learned from the scouting combine.

Brian Billick of Fox Sports believes Seattle is one of three teams that would be a good fit for Peyton Manning. The others are Kansas City and the N.Y. Jets.

Pete Prisco of CBS Sports reviews the game tape from Green Bay’s game against Detroit and comes the conclusion that Matt Flynn is good, not great, and still a gamble for a team that signs him to big money in free agency.

Rob Rang of NFLDraftScout.com now has Seattle selecting Notre Dame receiver Michael Floyd at No. 12 overall.

Brock Huard and Mike Salk of ESPN 710 Seattle talked with Seahawks general manager John Schneider on Thursday in this audio link.

Mike Tanier writing for the New York Times pens an amusing take on the draftnik culture.

Russ Lande of the Sporting News has Seattle selecting Penn State defensive tackle Devon Still in his latest mock draft.

Morning links
  1. DisplacedSeahawkFan says:

Damn, I hate losing players I like in Free Agency. So, I hope Carrol and company can re-sign Carlson. I’m dying to see Carlson and Miller together in two tight end sets. At the same time, if Carlson goes, Camron Morrah is coming along nicely. Still, I hope Carlson stays.

2. RDPoulsbo says:

I never expected Carlson to be back. Pass catching TEs are all the rage in the NFL right now and he’s one of them. In spite of his injury, he’ll get a decent contract offer that Seattle won’t be able to justify.

3. brigadeer says:

I am hoping the Seahawks keep him and style their offense similar to the Patriots with Gronkowski/Hernandez. They killed teams last year.

4. bsinnitt says:

I like Carlson as well but I’m skeptical that he’ll be resigned where his skill set is so similar to Miller’s. The TE position seems to be one that has evolved to having three different types of specialist players with different skill sets ie blocking, receiving threat and dual purpose guys that are good at both but not great at either. Carlson and Miller both appear to be the later. Looking forward to free agency so we can get an idea of what their blue print is this offseason. The draft talk is all just shots in the dark until we see who is signed/resigned in free agency, particularly with our front office’s unpredictable tract record.

I too would be very surprised to see Carlson re-signed. However, they did shock us last year by signing Hill, so you never know. But it’s hard to imagine they’d match what he’ll likely get out there. He has value to many teams, I’m sure.

6. JazBadAzz says:

Damn, I doubt John would go to the Bears, at least I hope not. I hate the bears! I believe we will loss him due to the fact Zach is making so much and he wants a similar contract! Oh’well Miller, Mccoy, Morrah should be suffice.

The Saints bounty should fall squarely on the shoulders of Greg Williams. I know he is with the rams and that makes it so much better!

New Orleans Saints has a cluster Fu&k on their hands, Brees contract is not done and now this…they should just let him walk. Why would he want to be apart of this mess!

7. How about us signing Brees instead of Manning for Flynn?

8. JazBadAzz says:

Rob Rang is a fool for picking Malcom Floyd for us!!! With a ton of good recievers in free agency like Vincent Jackson, Colston, Josh Morgan ect.
    Pete and John went after Jackson before, what makes him thinks they all of a sudden don’t want him?!?!

9. JazBadAzz says:

BountyGate LOL! I bet Greg Williams don’t try that crap in the nfc west! We got Bam Bam laying people out all over the field!

10. HawkfaninMT says:

I have had the idea of WR in the 1st or a Free Agent WR like Stevie Johnson on my “want” list since the season ended. Putting one of these guys opposite Rice with DB in the slot would be great!

11. I know I’m in the minority here on this blog (and probably with most Seahawks fans), but I too love the idea of building around Tjack. I know BK is going to blow a gasket as soon as he reads this, but quite frankly I’m tired of the Tjack bashing that goes on here. The players like him, the coaches like him, the front office likes him…good enough for me.

GO HAWKS!

P.S. Please draft Brandon Weeden in the 2nd round to compete with him and draft BPA in the first, trade back as necessary.

12. JazBadAzz says:

JOREB- I agree with everything you just said! Smart guy right there!!!

13. I’m tired of all the bashing the defensive line gets for not being able to rush the passer. I wish you people would leave that unit alone and let us build this defense around the LBs and DBs. At least we’re good at stopping the run. Besides, Red and Branch are nice guys so who cares if they can’t rush the passer? Their teammates like them.

14. hawkfan777 says:

Yikes,

Joreb has Bobby’s panties in knot. :)

Hey, what do you guys think about the Saints situation? Know that Williams is the Ram’s D coordinator what do you think the impact of these new findings may have on the Rams?

15. hawkfan777 says:

I meant now not know. Sheesh.

On another note…. It sounds like Manning is throwing like an NFL QB again.

16. Just trying to have some fun:) We all are entitled to our opinions, whether other agree or not. We’re all rooting for the same team and if T-Jack wins me a Super Bowl, I’ll love the guy and eat crow!

17. JazBadAzz says:

hawkfan777- I think they will suspend him 2 games and fine him a milli! haha Seriously he is in some deep booboo! Some one is going to get thrown under the bus and Im not sure who that is. Maybe thats why he isn’t in new orleans anymore!

18. JazBadAzz says:

Bobby loves him some T-Jack and he knows it!!!

19. bsinnitt says:

@bobbyk – do you have a recollection of Bevell running two TE sets in Minnesota? That may shed some light on the likelihood of resigning Carlson. As a casual observer of the Vikes, I can only remember them targeting Shainco in Bevell’s system. I know Pete was optimistic about 2 TE sets before Carlson got hurt but it seems like Bevell is more the architect of our passing game.

20. BK loves TJ. It is just his way of denying a man-crush.

21. Jim Kleinsasser was a glorified blocker. He had hands of stone but he sure could maul in the run game. Shiancoe was the receiver. The talent dictated that they really only throw to one of them.

I don’t think this will happen, but I wonder if they would consider franchising Carlson if they sign Lynch by Monday? I know the Redskins are doing it with Fred Davis, but have heard the only reason they are doing that is because the tag for TEs is relatively reasonable and won’t break the bank.

It would have been fun to see what Carlson/Miller would/could have done this past year. I love what the Pats have done with the 2 TE sets, but neither Miller or Carlson are as freakish as Gronk, nor do we have Brady to get them the ball (not that Hernandez is chopped liver either).

22. JazBadAzz says:

Matt Moore played well for Miami coming down the strecth, why are they looking for QB’s so bad? Did Chad Henne really get a fair shot? weird…

Way to be a good sport Bobby!

23. bsinnitt says:

Purely speculation and wishful thinking, but Holmgren made it clear how much he loved Carlson and also has a track record of going after QBs later in the draft or through free agency. That may open the possibility to resigning Carlson and then making a trade with the Browns to acquire more or better draft picks.

24. Ready to move on from Carlson. He’s disappointed since his rookie year. Seems like a great team guy, etc., but not a productive TE.

The N.O. story is pretty crazy. Weird that in a sport where you already are about as physical/violent as you can be, that they’d incentivize guys to be even more so.

25. JazBadAzz says:

On the saints issues:

I feel sorry for the fans because they are the ones that has to suffer! I would be fuming mad if seahawks was knowingly break league rules that would require sanctions like forfeiting draft picks! Lawd have mercy I would be super piss!

The asshole Mike Florio suggested taking away their franchise tag so they would lose Drew Brees…that’s some cold blooded mess to say. If they lost Brees, New Orleans would lose the Saints! No doubt in my mind!

Jaz – Not sure if you saw this, but the Dolphins did just re-sign Henne, so at least they’re not ready to give up on him completely yet. Perhaps he’s simply insurance if they don’t get anyone else, still…

pdway- Agree with you on Carlson. And he was also a bit of a disapointment his seinor year in college. I read somewhere that he was called butter fingers in his senior year.

And we know that he dropped many passes with the Seahawks.

So what’s the point of signing a pass catching TE that has a hard time catching the ball?

Nice guy though, just like kelly jennings was.

28. JazBadAzz says:

Duke- Thanks for that info, I had not seen that yet.

This I just heard about Manning and Greg Willimas coached team! Could it be from a bounty? Oh my how the plot thickens!

This is a link about Mannings neck injury being traced back to Greg’s defense!

I just read that Saints story. I’m not surprised that still goes on in the league, but am shocked they were so brazen about it. I’ll tell you this: the fact the bonuses doubled and tripled during the playoffs make the Hawks victory even sweeter. Did they collectively forget about the cash when they got Beastquaked?

30. JazBadAzz says:

I think Carlson suffered from having to stay in and block, and a coaching change. We can even throw poor QB play in there as well! When hutch left and Locklear played soft, Porkchop constantly got hurt, Toebeck retired…John had to stay in and block!

31. freedom_X says:

Yes, I also disagree with the negative comments on Carlson. His second season, he caught 51 passes and 7 TD’s. By Seattle standards, that’s historic production.

If Carlson had a disease in 2010 that made him ineffective, then Zach Miller, Pro Bowl TE, caught the same disease because in 2011 he did even less than Carlson in 2010. I don’t think Miller turned into a dud – I think the Seattle offense and O-line took the TE out of the offense.

Whether Carlson comes back is a money matter – if someone pays him like a Pro Bowl TE, that’s too much. But I would try to bring him back if it’s something like $3 million/yr + incentives (based on Miller getting $6 million/yr.)

Probably Carlson could get more money than that somewhere else, unless there’s a glut of TE’s on the free agent market this year.

32. Where did you guys see the stuff about Henne resigning in Miami? I’d like for that to be true, but haven’t seen it yet?

Interesting stuff on Manning:

“Usually there’s a long dormant period, where nothing’s happening,” one orthopedic surgeon with knowledge of Manning’s injury said. “Then, you start to see that improvement. Sometimes, the nerve can be asleep for months, and then you see a flicker, and then accelerated recovery. It’s not unusual to see a long dormant period, then the re-nervation period start and go to steady recovery.”

He then added, “Once it’s significantly improving, the nerve’s not going to degenerate again.”

*From NFL.com

That’s pretty interesting about it not degenerating again. I didn’t know that (never thought about it either). I know there’s more to it with the neck stuff, but thought it interesting nonetheless.

BobbyK- That sure is interesting about Manning.
    I would take an 80% Manning over any of the seahawk qbs that have played for this team!
    Even if it’s for only 3 years.

Manning is probably the smartest, most prepared, and dedicated qb of all time! and it doesn’t hurt to have good blood lines!

And all those saying that he would have a hard time in a new system is just rubbish, Imo.

Did Hasselbeck have a hard time adjusting to new systems for the last few years?
    So why would Manning have a difficult time?

34. I would have loved for Matt to have had a healthy Kenny Britt all of last season. He was putting up career numbers until Britt tore his ACL. It’s amazing what playing with a difference maker can do for a QB (any QB).

35. JazBadAzz says:

With Carlson’s age he should be able to get 5mil a yr I would imagine. I don’t see why not. The TE draft class is pretty weak this yr. I believe Carrol and Bevell wants to see what Mccoy and Morrah can do. I saw flashes of awesomeness from them last year! Morrah has good size and speed! maybe this is best, good luck to john on a ll his future endeavors, I’m sure he’ll be fine! Just don’t want him in Chicago. :(

36. The franchise tag for the TE position is only $5 million. That’s why some non-top 10 TE (Davis, Fred) got the tag.

I say that our best position group in this order is

#1-Safety- nothing to explain here.

#2-RB- Lynch, Robinson, Probowl! Enough said!

#3-Special teams

#4-CB

#5- TE

#6- D- line, yes Carroll has made chicken salad out of chicken shit!

#7- Linebacker.

#8- WR

#9- O-line- Injuries, youth, Injuries, reaches, Injuries, youth, reaches.

# 10- QB- enough said!

Rang- Michael Floyd! At #12?

I could go to 5 mock draft sites and average it out, and still come up with a better mock draft than Rang!

Georgia – Your list exemplifies why we’ve been butting heads; not only do we see the positions differently but also our reasons for ranking them there. And so no one gets on me; I’m not saying one way is better than another, just different. I would list it his way:

Secondary (corner and safety): like you said, no need to explain.

O Line: Young, talented, deep. Sky’s the limit for this group. If, at the end of ’13 they still can’t stay on the field, we can all can have a good laugh at my expense.

D Line: albeit one dimensional, and with an immediate need at 3-tech, one of the best against the run and more often than we give credit for, disruptive.

LB: even wih all the questions an FAs, Wright, Smith, McCoy, and potentially Heater or Hill comming back make this a solid unit.

RB: If this were just about Lynch they’d be much higher, but when he doesn’t play, Seattle don’t run. Got to get someone to help him.

TE: Miller and questions.

ST: Kicking and return game solid. Coverage is horrific, especially when Cox was out.

WR: so many questions. Feels like a unit in transition. Baldwin and Rice, if he can stay healthy, after that… Crap shoot.

QB: …

40. JazBadAzz says:

LOL @GeorgiaHawk

I just heard that the giants are interested in Carlson also. He will get a bidding war going on if teams start coming out the wood works like this!

41. ryanryan says:

I’m so confused with our TE’s, I would love it if Morrah would step the hell up and play up to his potential consistantly…Carlson isn’t very good and in my opinion if you want to have a dynamic duo – he isn’t part of it. It would be Morrah and Miller and they are still a very POOR man’s version of NE’s crew. The only thing that would make them effective in any way together like the NE group is if our O Line continues to develop (i’m skeptical of them as I have posted previously) and our running game is dominant keeping LB’s in to keep the ground game in check.

42. jarred767 says:

Great link on the interview with Schneider, every time I hear him, I like him more. Simply can’t wait for free agency to start and see where we’re headed.

Anyone concerned about the fact that we’re as close as we are to the start of free agency and Breno is the only guy we’ve locked up so far?

43. Right now, based on who is actually under contract, I have our LB’s as the dead last unit.

With only Wright playing significant time last year, I just don’t like expecting them adequate with out really knowing, if it were one guy we were talking about okay – but we are relying on basically the WHOLE unit to have to step WAY up to make it even average on NFL standards

jarred – I think most teams’ fans feel that way right now. We’re all anxious…

Dukeshire- I hope you are right about the o-line. I really do.

The only reason I put them so low is the injuries and youth.
    I know that they will get better if they don’t continue to get a rash of injuries.
    Perhaps I just don’t want to get my hopes up, but there is nothing that will make me more happy then for them to end up being one of the best groups in the NFL.

Sometimes when I say something that appears negative about a player or a group it is because I have had alot invested ( high hopes ) in them and I get pissed or frustrated when they don’t appear to play or act up to my expectations, or when injuries take their toll.
    I still have seven Shawn Alexander shirts I don’t know what to do with. Dam!

46. From the looks of his workout yesterday at Duke, it looks to me like Manning is going to be at least close to 100% for training camp (in addition to everything we’ve been reading).

Thanks for the article, Georgia. Here’s the You Tube video they mention in that very article:

47. SandpointHawk says:

First let me state that I get Seahawk’s alerts from Google, so when something hits the web I get an email notification of it. With that disclaimer to explain why I was at the following site I give you….

Chris Clemons gets to keep the Bentley…

48. LT – I love Okung moving forward. I know he’s had to deal with ankle issues and the torn pec (cheap shot), but projecting foward is a future Pro Bowler at this position. Our LT position, moving forward, is about as good as anyone elses and better than most.

LG – Gallery, with Carp waiting in the wings when his ACL fully heals. This position is also fine moving forward, IMO.

C – Unger is an effectively good, young starting center. No worries here. I’m fine with Jeanpierre as the back-up.

RG – Moffitt/McQuistan/Jeanpierre – I don’t see McQuistan getting much interest on the open market, but he certainly proved his solid, workmanlike, and versatile worth here. If he doesn’t beat out Moffitt for the starting gig, he’ll remain as key depth (i.e. good, solid depth) along most positions on this unit.

RT – By resigning Breno, I think we know we’re set here in the near future too.

Basically, this unit looks good on paper moving towards 2012 and, most importantly, they looked good on the field during the final few months of 2011. With another year of experience and a return to health of some of these guys, Lynch is going to put up some big time numbers next season.

49. I remember Ryan talking once or twice on various chats about what a jerk that Clemons was in real life. That article isn’t surprising. You’re going to get that with pro athletes (or anyone). I just want to make sure our next QB, the face of our franchise, is a good guy (like T-Jack).

50. Palerydr says:

Just for kicks dialed up some mocks to see what the talking heads were predicting for us.

Walter football Luke Kuechly
    CBS Rang Michael Floyd
    Brugler Quinton Coples
    Charlie Casserly Dre Kikpatrick
    Albert Breer Luke Kuechly
    Russ Lande Devon Still
    Wes Bunting Nick Perry

The trend is looking like somebody on the defensive side of the ball which is a sure indicater of us taking someone on offense.

51. Mocks are so worthless before the free agency period. I think you can get a much better idea (and still be mostly wrong… lol) after teams have had a chance to sign or resign some key players. For example, if Flynn signs with the Fish, there’s no way in heckle-and-jeckle they are going to take Tannenhill, even though I’m starting to see a few people start to think that that’s who they are going to draft if he’s available. I think we know that Luck is going #1, someone is going to trade up to #2 for RGIII, and that Matt Kalil is probably going #3 to Minnesota if they can’t trade down with anyone.

52. wabubba67 says:

I would like to build around Tavaris Jackson, too….how about a moat between him and the starting lineup?

Go get a supremely motivated, and now apparently recovering, Manning. If not, go after a young QB that has great intangibles and has been well coached on the NFL level for a few years…Flynn.

53. Morrah cannot block at all. Its pathetic to watch him try, he cant even block a cb. McCoy just flat-out sucked last year. He looked like he didnt even belong in the CFL. Not only was he the worst blocker on our team, he dropped several key passes with no one touching him.

What this says to me is that Seattle is stupid if they let anyone take Carlson away–especially if we’re dumb enough to let him go to an NFC team like Chicago or the Giants.

While I have been frustrated with Carlsons drops and his bone-headed route running (not turning his head when everyone knew our line was so bad the ball was coming early), and his blocking is only okay, the fact remains he has been wildly productive and has incredible talent. He makes amazing catches when given the opportunity, and he’s very intelligent and a hard worker, and he’s never been in trouble.

What are we gonna do if Miller gets hurt? We have ZERO backup plan for that. Carlson is a priority, or should be.

Seattle needs to lock Lynch up long term NOW, while a four year deal keeps him here until he’s 28 not 29 or 30. That would also allow us to use the relatively cheap franchise tag price of $5 mill on Carlson if needed.

54. For myself, I think Floyd would be a great pickup. While we have great talent at WR, our group isnt settled. Floyd would lock up a spot opposite Rice by next year, and that would help us sort things out nicely. Floyd could be a Fitzgerald type impact, he’s that talented.

But with more pressing needs elsewhere, its rather doubtful. Besides, Rang wouldnt be mocking the guy Seattle is zeroing in on this early. Personally, I think he put out all his anti-Okung stuff as a favor to Seattle’s front office. He usually knows who we’re targeting.

I like Melvin Ingram, Devon Still, Kuechly, DeCastro…Im pretty sure we’re gonna get an impact player..just as long as we dont take a Carpenter or Tannehill….

55. But Tannenhill is perceived to be a reach much like Jake Locker and Christian Ponder last year and the Titans and Vikings are pretty happy with their “reaches” right about now.

56. HawkfaninMT says:

Rotoworld’s mock (for what its worth) has Blackmon falling to us. I would do backflips if that happened

57. wabubba67 says:

Would love to see Blackmon here, too. NFL types have speculated that Manning and Wayne might be a package deal. I kind of like the idea of Manning looking across the field pre-snap and seeing Rice on one side and Wayne on the other, with Baldwin in the slot.