A few minutes with Melvin Ingram

Post by Eric Williams on Feb. 25, 2012 at 11:19 am with 20 Comments »
February 25, 2012 11:20 am

Any doubts I had about South Carolina Melvin Ingram’s athletic ability and a possible transition to linebacker were eliminated when I asked him if he played basketball in high school

“Yes sir,” said Ingram

And what position did you play?

“Point guard.”

I’m sorry, did you say point guard?

“Yes, sir,” Ingram said.

I was too dumbfounded to ask the follow-up question, but Danny O’Neil of the Seattle Times bailed me out, asking if Ingram was a pass-first guard or a shooter.

“I was a scorer,” he said.

So Ingram was a 6-2, 225-pound point guard in high school. He also played running back, receiver and quarterback in high school. Ingram was on the hands team for South Carolina. He can do a back flip right now. And he can dunk. Ingram measured at 6-foot-1, 264 pounds here at the combine.

Ingram said he doesn’t have a preference of whether he plays in a 3-4 or 4-3 scheme, and has met with teams that employ both defensive fronts.

Ingram said he’s been working out in California with Denver pass rush specialist Von Miller. The two share the same agent, Joby Branion of Athletes First in Irvine, Calif., and Ingram hopes to have the same impact in his rookie season as Miller.

Asked what sets him apart from other pass rushers in the draft, here’s what Ingram had to say: “Athletic ability, and just my relentless effort to get around the ball.”

Expect the Seahawks to take a close look at Ingram because of his versatility, particularly with defensive coordinator Gus Bradley running so many sub packages with different personnel. Ingram could provide pass rush off the edge and from the interior of the defense, and he could also be a dropper.

Check out his highlights in the video below.

NFL Draft

Point guard? Lol, that is amazing. Be interested to see his 40 time and cone drills because on the surface, it seems he could add that speed at LB (weak side, in replace of Hill…?) Carroll has stated he’s looking for. He also would fit the profile of sick athletes he and Schneider have brought in.

BTW Eric, your combine coverage has been great, so far: putting yourself in there. So humor. I like it.

And while I’m thinking of it; what has been the most outlandish rumor or surprising talk, you’ve heard so far? You don’t have to tell us where it came from, but there has to be some tales being told in Indy, this week.

*some* humor…

3. SandpointHawk says:

I agree; Eric great job this week. Making my head spin but I love it. Thanks

4. Dukeshire: Nothing outlandish, it’s just the rumors of where Peyton Manning will land — or even if he’ll play — are all over the place. Nobody really has any real idea of what’s going to happen with him. There’s some other scuttlebutt happening behind the scenes, but nothing I feel comfortable sharing here.

That scuttlebutt is what I want! But I totally get it. Would love to buy you a beer sometime and get some inside info.

6. JazBadAzz says:

Wondering what Coples, and Upshaw got to say about Imgram being the best atheletic DE prospect!

7. “There’s some other scuttlebutt happening behind the scenes”

C’mon, Eric…we can keep a secret!

8. I doubt Coples is motivated enough to care that someone says there is a better DE prospect out there, unless it’s in a couple of plays spurt (so he can win).

Coples sounds like Warren Sapp at the end of his career. Good for 3-4 real good efforts a game. Lol

10. Soggybuc says:

Yall forget Gary Payton was 6’1 1/2 and about 220 if memory serves me right. 6’2 and 220 is a baby man in the NBA.
    I agree great job Eric, but someone needs to keep you away from the Latte’s! we barely have time get sanctimonious before you go and post a new topic.

11. Yeah. But I attended Warren Sapp’s final college game. He dominated the first 3 quarters. Sucked ass after that (thank goodness).

If Gary Payton was more than a buck 85, I’ll take you to dinner. 220? Not a chance in hell. (sorry)

13. High School doesnt count. The guy is far huger than in High School, probably with a totally different body type. I went to grade school with a guy who was the fastest pitcher, the fastest runner, the highest jumper, the best tackler and reciever, a great basketball player, and lean as can be. By his Junior year of High School, dude was 6-3″ and 287 lbs and playing DT and DE. Totally different athlete than he’d been a year or two before. And with many guys the body changes in college and after.

But I have no doubt Ingram is a great athlete. I like the guy.

14. Soggybuc says:

OK I was wrong GP is 6’4″ and 180. so yea he is a shrimp. guess i owe you dinner Duke =)
    I really think Ingram is a better prospect than Coples. Coples strikes me as an entitled D bag much like Haynesworth.

Soggy – lol. We’ll buy each other beers.

STTBM – No doubt he’s bigger now. But what’s attractive, as I’m sure you know, is that type of quickness and agility is contained in, what we have to presume, is a much bigger and stronger body. But still, I’m comfortable is saying, he likely wasn’t a string bean in HS, or otherwise a typical point guard.

16. JazBadAzz says:

I don’t like his short arm length…and where are you guys getting this info on Coples? He is still a lot of scouts best DE prospect. I have never seen him interview or talk to anyone, I hope your opions are your own and not someone else’s.

17. I only watched parts of a few games and he seemed like a guy who wasn’t interested in dominating his opponent even though his skills indicated he should. Sure, it’s only part of a few games, but it seems to be the same as what “experts” are saying about his motor. The same experts most Seahawk fans were saying about Curry, Aaron. LOL!

18. JazBadAzz says:

Was curry motor a problem, I think he didn’t know wth he was doing out there! Over thinking most the time and under thinking the rest!

I heard he wasn’t as productive as he could’ve been but it wasn’t the his attitude. Sometime coaches ask players to do things that can translate to poor production. Maybe he was ask to spy more than normal. He was unblockable at the senior bowl week from what I heard and seen!

Jaz – He is widely regarded as the best DE prospect, talent wise. But along with that, nearly every scouting report mentions his motor and effort. Both very inconsistent. Mike Mayock has gone so far to say his entire senior season is a testament to being talented and lazy. He went on to say that if you want to really feel good about him, you have to watch his Jr tape. (To paraphrase…)

20. JazBadAzz says:

I will look up some more stuff about him. I’m sure we will hear a lot asked about that this weekend. A lot of people think the combine is over-rated but I think the interviews and interactions with management and media tells a ton! I’m sure something will be confimred or put to rest.