Morning links: Richardson an option for Hawks?

Post by Eric Williams on Feb. 10, 2012 at 10:54 am with 18 Comments »
February 10, 2012 11:05 am
Alabama running back Trent Richardson. (AP Photo/Butch Dill)

Former NFL scout and currentt analyst for the NFL Network Bucky Brook argues that the best player in this year’s draft could be Alabama running back Trent Richardson.

But with the running back position being devalued because of the short life span of runners in the league, and the availability of good runners later in the draft, Brooks believes Richardson could slip outside the top 10, and a team like Seattle could wind up with an elite player.

And Brooks believes Seattle could be interested if they were to lose Marshawn Lynch in free agency.

Brooks: Pete Carroll has built the Seahawks’ offense around the talents of Marshawn Lynch, but the hard-charging runner could depart via free agency in the spring. Richardson possesses a comparable skill set as a runner/receiver and would give the Seahawks a younger, more explosive back to feature as the main attraction in the backfield. Given the team’s shaky quarterback situation, Richardson’s presence could keep the team competitive in the NFC West.

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com provides details on the team’s upcoming offseason schedule. Seahawks off-season workout program begins April 16. The Seahawks will have a rookie mini-camp from May 11-13, followed by the beginning of OTAs on May 22.
Seattle has a mandatory minicamp from June 12-14, with the conclusion of the team’s off-season program on June 15.

More Farnsworth: WR Doug Baldwin is one of the few healthy Seattle players still working out at the facility.

Joe Fortenbaugh of the National Football Post writes that according to Vegas Seattle has a six percent chance of landing Peyton Manning.

Michael Lombardi of the NFL Network reports that Manning cannot throw effectively at this point in his rehabilitation from a serious neck injury.

Les Carpenter of Yahoo Sports writes that Manning has nothing left to prove and should retire.

Pete Prisco of CBS Sports lists Red Bryant and Marshawn Lynch among his top 50 free agents.

Rob Rang of NFLDraftScout.com has Texas A&M quarterback Ryan Tannehill as his No. 26-ranked prospect in the draft.

Missing football? Check out the Seahawks defensive highlights video below. Warning, there’s some salty language in the audio so you might want to turn it down if you’re at work.

Morning links
  1. Fun watching those defense highlights, thanks Eric.

Richardson sure is a sick talent. Would be fun to see him in a ‘Hawks uniform.

2. williambryan says:

The hawks defense is freaking awesome. 3 pro bowlers and that doesn’t include Clemons, or Sherman who could end up being the best corner in the NFC

3. Great Video Eric. Man, i can’t get enough of the secondary. I sure hope they get an elite pass rusher this off season to make that secondary even better.

4. I’m sitting in my den watching the video on the defence.When my 16yrs old grand daughter busts into my room dancing, swing her arms her mouth is wide open,with a shocked look on her face.What is this sound coming from pop’s room?
    Who is the group doing the song?

5. I would like to hang out with DMX, he seems like he has a pretty good time. I could be one of the guys who yells “WHAT!” and “OHHH!” and “UUHHHNG!” on his tracks. He could probably use another.

Brooks’ rational for bringing Richardson here makes little sense. First off, a younger option? Lynch is just 25, so while TR is younger, a little perspective. But more importantly, Seattle doesn’t need to put in place a contingency if Lynch leaves in FA, they can franchise him to prevent that. What they do need however, is a compliment to Lynch, which Richardson would make a wonderful match. Seattle ought to look at TR as someone to pair with Lynch, not as a replacement. So, while he wouldn’t be my ideal pick at 11 / 12, I could somehow understand it. But Brooks’ logic as to why is terribly flawed.

Yeah, that highlight video still has me smiling. Tight! Thanks, Eric.

8. “But Brooks’ logic as to why is terribly flawed.”

Couldn’t agree more with that statement Duke

9. That video got me too excited. So if anyone else out there like me is STILL missing football, here are some skittles for you…..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vyh5QoJYJDs

10. Sorry if I am slow on this one, but I just found it the other day. Not highlights, but pretty funny.

Obviously Hitler wasn’t too happy with Marshawn only being selected as an alternate

11. LMAO arna. OMG that is great. I had not seen that yet. That is just amazing

12. If we make a splash in FA and sign Flynn and one of the big pass rushers, I’m fine with a RB if he’s deemed that much better than everyone else.

Nothing else matters (Metallica) if we don’t get a QB though.

13. SandpointHawk says:

@arna6
    That was great. Thanks.

14. Just when I think that Hitler clip is played out beyond any possibility of a laugh — still pretty damn funny.

Drafting a bruising young RB at #11/12 would sure be fun – but we’ve got bigger holes to fill.

15. Well-said Duke, totally agree.

Why do people write stuff up a. assuming we won’t have ML next year, and b. that he’s old? Interesting.

16. edstang45 says:

Best insider post yet!!! Duke your exactly right
    jboard1 and arna6 you both get 12th man award for those two videos, That Hitler deal just cracks me up!!!! The Mebane at the end was just too funny crap I cant even 1 finger type I’m laughin too hard.

Bring on the Draft

17. guiltybystander says:

As long as Marshawn Lynch is willing to continue working hard once he gets past his salary drive (and that’s what the last half of 2011 was), he’ll do fine for the next couple of years if the Seahawks keep him.

Right now, I’d be looking for a pass rusher who’ll make life a little easier for the secondary. As for signing Matt Flynn, I’d be careful. He’s a nice young QB, but he’ll have a pretty hefty pricetag for someone who’s got very limited game experience. I’d look over all the available QBs first…but please, for God’s sake, no more Charlie Whitehursts! How can there be a recession when someone can make that kind of money just to hold a clipboard?

18. wabubba67 says:

The Hitler video is hilarious…especially because I just watched that movie last night. “Downfall” is one of the best movies that recounts Hitler’s final days….well-acted and written…the story is based upon the memories of Hitler’s secretary, who was one of the few to survive after being in the bunker.