Morning links: Kennedy’s case for Hall of Fame

Post by Eric Williams on Feb. 5, 2012 at 8:04 am with 25 Comments »
February 5, 2012 8:06 am
Steam rises from Seattle Seahawks defensive tackle Cortez Kennedy as he rests during a game with the Denver Broncos in 2000. On Saturday, Kennedy was named to the Pro Football Hall of Fame.(David Zalubowski/AP File Photo)

ESPN’s Mike Sando presented former Seattle Seahawks defensive tackle Cortez Kennedy’s case for induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame as a member of the selection committee on Saturday.

Sando said all he had to do was stick to the facts, which pointed to Kennedy being one of the most dominant defensive tackles ever to play the game.

Sando: Kennedy played 16 games nine times, 15 games once and eight games in his only injury-shortened season. He matched Reggie White and Bruce Smith as the only defensive linemen with eight Pro Bowls during the 1990s. He went to as many Pro Bowls during the 1990s as Jerry Rice, Deion Sanders, Emmitt Smith, Bruce Smith and Derrick Thomas.

Kennedy was also the Associated Press’ defensive player of the year on that 2-14 team, which featured one of the worst offenses in NFL history (Seattle was the only NFL team to field a top-10 defense in 1990, 1991 and 1992). Only White and Lawrence Taylor won the award previously while playing for losing teams.

According to the Seahawks, Kennedy played more than 90 percent of the defensive snaps for at least his first six seasons, including 97.2 percent in 1994.

Since sacks became an official stat in 1982, Kennedy and Hall of Famer Randy White are the only defensive tackles with at least 150 starts, 50 sacks and eight Pro Bowls.”

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com, who covered Kennedy’s career while at the Seattle P-I, offers a nice synopsis of the Hall of Famer’s career.

Dave Boling of The News Tribune takes a trip down memory lane, describing what it was like to cover Kennedy during his 11-year career in Seattle.

In my story on Kennedy’s induction, former teammate Rob Tobeck had this to say: “You had to know where he was. You had to have a second pair of eyes on him. He commanded a double team. He was an incredible talent and really a good guy. No doubt it’s good seeing another Seahawk, a teammate and a guy that you played with and that you had a lot of respect for as an opponent getting in. He was just a great guy. And to see a guy that was also such a good teammate makes me happy.”

Edwin Pope of the Miami Herald weighs in on Kennedy’s induction to the Hall of Fame.

Chris Egan of KING 5 TV talks with Seahawks general manager John Schneider about the quarterback position in this video clip below.

John Boyle of the Everett Herald continue the debate of whether or not you need an elite quarterback to win a Super Bowl, pointing to this year’s duo of New England’s Tom Brady and the N.Y. Giants Eli Manning as evidence that perhaps you do.

Former Seahawks running back and assistant coach Justin Griffith joins the Raiders as the offensive quality control coach. As a player, Griffith had been a favorite of recently hired Oakland offensive coordinator Greg Knapp.

And oh yeah, the Super Bowl is today. Pete Prisco of CBS Sports provides a tale of the tape, comparing the New York Giants and the New England Patriots teams from the 2007 Super Bowl to this year’s matchup.

Chris Case of Yahoo Sports provides some celebrity picks here. Arnold Palmer, John McEnroe and Yogi Berra take the Giants. Arnold Schwarzenegger, Vanilla Ice and Jack Nicklaus take the Patriots.

Dan Pompei of the National Football Post talks to some front office executives and asks them to compare their evaluations on brother Peyton and Eli Manning.

Morning links
  1. Palerydr says:

Congratulations to Cortez Kennedy a true gentleman on and off the field. Watched a bit of ESPN this morning and they consoled poor Chris Carter on his not making the cut. He was a good football player but all I could think of was that no one came out and consoled Tez on TV when he didn’t make it the past few years. Better luck next year Chris or maybe the year after or maybe the year after that…

2. might be time for a road trip to Canton!

3. “Kennedy played more than 90 percent of the defensive snaps for at least his first six seasons, including 97.2 percent in 1994.”

That’s incredible.

That really is. Wow.

5. SeahawkFan12 says:

As a life-long Seahawks fan (I was 5 when they came into existence) I can say I never really put Tez’s stats into perspective the way Sando did. Amazing career, what a fantastic human being. This is wonderful.

Who does everyone have tonight? I’ve got Pats and under.

7. I want the Giants to win – but I have a feeling that NE will

8. I want NE to win — but I have a feeling that the Giants will.

Actually, I just want to see a good game. Either way, one franchise is going to get its fourth Lombardi. And meanwhile, we’re waiting for our first. I hope it comes this decade.

9. I have some money on the Giants, but I don’t really care who wins, sort of nice to just being able to root for a good game.

10. TOTALLY off topic – but watching the SB today totally changed my mind what I want for the offseason

in no particular order but if these things were all to happen I would be one VERY happy fan.

1. Resign Lynch
    2. Resign Red
    3. Sign Payton Manning
    4. Draft best DL in the first round
    5. Draft cousins in the 2nd
    6. Get some LB help in the middle/late rounds

GO HAWKS!!

11. Oh wait – I want Breno back too!

12. The off-season has finally arrived! Lets get the QB position fixed and a couple of pass rushers to boot and then we can potentially be the team we’re watching celebrate a Super victory like the Giants tonight!

13. Yeah, after watching the Super Bowl, I’m definitely in the “must draft or sign a QB” camp. I don’t think TJ is going to turn into Eli Manning or Tom Brady. Yes, it’s possible to win one Super Bowl with a Dilfer-type, but I’d love for the Seahawks to be perennial contenders like the Pats and Giants. For that, we need a Top Ten QB.

14. I would almost Die if Manning ended up in SF

15. raymaines says:

After The Game:

It was a great game. I’m really glad Eli has more rings than his big brother!

XCMAN: I’m 93.7% with you on this! I’m not so sure about Peyton Manning, but hey, do I think 75% of PM’s body and 100% of his brain is better than T-Jack? Well yeah, actually I do.

I really hope the ‘Hawks get the very best QB available, and in a perfect world all it would cost is Paul Allen’s money.

I would just love to hear the national guys call a Super Bowl game with the SeaHawks kicking somebodies bu++.

16. It’s encouraging that the Seahawks beat the Giants during the regular season. Then again, so did five or six other teams (not sure if they were swept by a divisional rival).

Good Super bowl! Hope we get to play in one soon!

Message to Peyton Manning.- “If you want to match your little brother with Superbowl rings come to Seattle!”

And how refreshing is it to have two old school head coaches in the Super bowl!

Tom Coughlin haters can now go hide in their man cave for a while! Lol.

18. Manninig isn’t coming to Seattle, he’s getting old, and he has serious neck injury to look after, you think he wants to play in an outdoor stadium in sloppy wet weather in Seattle, no way, he’s going somewhere with a dome or good weather. Let’s try our best to get Flynn and still draft another QB later on.

19. chuck_easton says:

Now 2011 is officially over. Let’s move on to 2012.

Let the FA rumors fly.

Here’s to reading hundreds of Mock Drafts in an attempt to sound like we know what we are talking about.

In the end here’s to being TOTALLY blindsided when Seattle makes their first pick in the draft.

Ladies and Gentlemen, start your engines.

20. I thought the SB was boring as hell until the end, but that ending did make up for the rest of the game. That’s got to be an awesome feeling for a fan knowing if your Qb be has the ball at the end that your probably going to get the W, and that’s what happened in this game. The Pat’s should of let the Gman score a little sooner and maybe they could of marched down for the win at the end. Even so, Grad….. almost made a play on the ball in the endzone.

As a fan I had that feeling when we had Hasselbeck. Lost it when we got Jackson. Now hoping to get it back this year. Go Seahawks!!!

Manning not coming to Seattle has nothing to do with playing in a out door stadium.
    That’s about as lame of an argument that I have heard around here as the argument that traveling to the east coast for a game is such a disadvantage for the Seahawks! Nonsense!

The main reason Manning wouldn’t come out West is because he would prefer to play in the East or Southeast, imo.

The next reason (imo) is that he would prefer to play in the AFC, and not have to compete in the same conference as Eli.

However, I sure hope Carroll will try to talk him into playing here.

23. I actually think Payton Manning would have 2 prefered Destinations

1. SF – Elite Defense, already one game away from SB – FA starter. Crabtree and a grumpy TE and a Running game

2. Seattle – Very good Defense – Rice, Baldwin, and a TE or 2 to throw too, Running game (if we can resign Lynch) Lame Duck QB. Gave SF everything they could handle this year, Beat NYG and BALT.

Both of these teams offer what he didn’t always have in Indy – DEFENSE He doesn’t have to win games on his own. Also, with him BOTH of these teams become contenders immediately.

24. chuck_easton says:

If we are just talking NFC West, I say throw Arizona into that mix for Manning as well.

1/2 their games indoors. Nice weather outside year round. He and Fitz can pretty much play catch all game long.

Not a bad landing spot their either.

25. Chuck – true but I really don’t think that Arizona will go after a QB this year. too much invested in what they have now just one year later.

Of the teams that need/want QB’s – I think Seattle and SF offer the best chance to come in and get to/win a SB – sooner rather than later.

Miami – no, Washington – no, etc.