Morning links: Nonstop Flynn talk

Post by Eric Williams on Jan. 13, 2012 at 10:02 am with 41 Comments »
January 13, 2012 10:02 am
Green Bay Packer quarterback Matt Flynn smiles as he exits the field after defeating the Detroit Lions 45-41 in an NFL football game at Lambeau Field in Green Bay, Wis., on Sunday, Jan. 1, 2012. Aaron Rodgers got to rest up for the playoffs and backup Matt Flynn threw for a franchise-record six touchdowns, the final one to Jermichael Finley with 1:10 left, giving the Packers a 45-41 victory over the Lions. (AP Photo/West Bend Dally News, John Ehlke)

John McGrath of The News Tribune doesn’t know if Green Bay backup quarterback Matt Flynn is the answer to the Seattle Seahawks question of who will be the team’s long-term solution at quarterback, but he’s just pleased Seattle-area radio stations are blasting the airwaves with nonstop Flynn talk instead of a steady diet of Tim Tebow.

McGrath: “It’s reasonable to wonder: Is Matt Flynn the latest Packers backup on the verge of blossoming as a full-time quarterback, as Hasselbeck and Rodgers did?

Or is he another Kevin Kolb, terrific in a spot-starting role but a bust as a full-timer?

Don’t ask me. Sorry. All I know is that as the NFL season has devolved into eight months of future-roster conjecture, Seahawks fans want to read about Flynn, and talk about Flynn, and argue about Flynn, because once Flynn is removed from the equation, all that’s left are some playoff games that shouldn’t require an appearance by Flynn.

Just the same, I’m glad Flynn has emerged not only as a conversation topic, but as proof of a divine force from heaven interceding on our football matters.

Without Matt Flynn, Sea-hawks fans have nothing to talk about except Tim Tebow.”

Running back Vai Taua is the lastest player to sign a futures contract with Seattle. Taua was on Seattle’s practice squad for most of the season.

Calvin Watkins of ESPN Dallas reports that former Seahawk and Tacoma native Jon Kitna has told the Dallas Cowboys of his intentions to retire.

Evan Silva of Rotoworld provides a master list of NFL free agents for this year.

Jack Bechta of the National Football Post has an interesting take on building the perfect GM.

Rob Rang of NFLDraftScout.com gives us 10 players with something to prove in the upcoming All-Star games, with Boise State quarterback Kellen Moore at the top of the list.

You can take a look at the best of Seahawks All-Access show in this video link.

Morning links
  1. nighthawk2 says:

I’d be amenable to trading for Flynn. John Schneider should know something about him. The way he played against Detroit, along with other appearances in games, makes me think he can be a starting QB. I was hoping they would draft Tannehill, but this broken foot bothers me. A bad sign for a QB when it wasn’t even contact in a game. I guess it just depends on how much Green Bay wants for Flynn, I would think a 2nd round pick. Seems kind of early, after just one season and an injury, to say Kolb is a bust.

2. Bring in Flynn! I haven’t heard anyone say he surely won’t succeed. All I’ve heard is extremely high praise or “we don’t know”. And that’s good enough for me. I like TJack’s toughness, his attitude, the way he takes complete ownership of everything (even the suff that’s not his fault), etc. What I don’t necessarily care for is his QB play. And that’s pretty high on my list of qualities for a QB. While I might even go as far as to say I “like” TJack as the Hawks QB, I want to LOVE my QB. And I don’t think TJack is the QB of the Future. I believe Flynn could be.

3. JazBadAzz says:

The Flynn and JS connection doesn’t mean much to me because he gave up so much to get Whitehurst and he could have gotten Flynn for half that amount…unless that was Pete call but whoever fault it was they dropped the ball on that one.

Maybe he(Flynn) is a “Kolb” more than a “Shaub”, I just dont want to over pay either way! I also dont believe in throwing away draft picks to move up to pick another unproven guy, yeah they got talent but no one knows what they are really going to be like.

4. SandpointHawk says:

Free Agent gentlemen, Flynn is a free agent this year.

5. I think 2 years ago Flynn wouldn’t have been worth getting – He is from an SEC team that does nothing for a QB that doesn’t need anyone to do anything spectacular. Hand the ball off – make a few passes. etc. I don’t think most SEC programs need or want an elite QB. anyway I digress.

Flynn has developed and I think he will be a viable NFL QB with talent. Probably very good – great I don’t know. I feel you can say that about EVERY college qb.

But to be honest I thought Newton would struggle in NFL – so my opinions on QB’s might be off.

6. I feel you can say that about EVERY college qb.

That being the fact that you just don’t know!

7. Southendzone says:

I’ve heard that it’s likely they will franchise & trade Flynn. I don’t think a 2nd round pick will be enough to get him.

IF he’s not franchised, I say go ahead and WAY overpay him if JS/PC really believe he has the talent to be our #1.

If we have to trade for him then what do you do if the choice is #1 for Flynn or #1 and then some to move up for RG3?

8. HawkfaninMT says:

Anyone else find it interesting that Silva has Silva marked as a Probable Franchise Tag recipient?

I don’t see anyway the Pack takes the chance that nobody signs him and they have 14 Mil wrapped up in their back up QB

9. HawkfaninMT says:

Silva has FLYNN*

10. Kingpear says:

I am concerned about Flynn. Sure, he put up big numbers on the last game of the season, but we traded for Whitehurst, and chose to sign TJack while no one even mentioned him.

That is sort of curious to me, as John S. has been solid on his draft picks so far (even though the press gave him a D+ last year…they changed it to a B- after the season)

If we can sign him to a reasonable contract for 3-4 years.. sure…why not.

How does anyone know what Seattle could have gotten Flynn for 2 years ago? And what is all the trade talk? He’s a free aggent. They’ll lose him in free agency and get a pretty high comp. pick in return.

12. nighthawk2 says:

“Free Agent gentlemen, Flynn is a free agent this year”

Had not heard that, good to know Sandpointhawk. Well then, let the bidding begin in February (I know they’re not officially a free agent until March, but funny how guys sign contracts immediately after free agency begins March 3rd or 4th, almost like there was a contract in place). It would seem highly unlikely that a seldom used backup would be Franchised (but who really knows what they’ll do). He’s not going to re-sign with Green Bay when he knows other teams believe he can start for them, and I’m not sure the rules of the CBA allow a team to keep Franchising a guy like we did with Walter Jones (which gets pretty expensive). In any event, it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Quite agree about SEC quarterbacks. Once in a blue moon they’ll turn out a QB that becomes a star, Joe Namath, Bart Starr, Bert Jones, Joe Ferguson (although Arkansas may have still been in the SWC then). And of course Cam Newton, who I thought would be Akili Smith 2.0 but isn’t.

13. RDPoulsbo says:

Whitehurst was Schneider’s idea. People criticize it in hindsight, but I defend it even though I never felt he’d ever pan out. Seattle was in need of a LT far more than a new QB at that time. It gave the team room with the media and fan base to make that call and they went and got Okung and Thomas that year. They really didn’t lose a whole lot of value by dropping down in the 2nd and getting Tate.

There’s a good chance GB will tag Flynn though. There’s a lot of need for starting QBs out there and with Barkley and Jones out of the mix, there will be teams knocking on their door to make a trade.

14. piperfeltcher says:

Unless GB can sign Finley between now and free agency there is no way the will franchise Flynn and let Finley hit free agency. Plus if GB franchises Flynn they will be paying him $14 mill and you can bet Roger’s agent would use that amount as a baseline when they renagotiate his contract. Also the players association would flip if they franchised Flynn to avoid him being a free agent with intentions of trading him as that would go against what the franchise tag was created for and how it was supposed to be used. So I see no way that Flynn is franchised. Far more likely that GB would sign him to a extention then trade him but that is tricky with bonuses and such counting against the cap.

15. Ewalters7354 says:

I personally listening and looking at what Pete likes don’t think Flynn would be the guy.Hope I’m wrong though.I seen him play a bundle at LSU and he has always had good intangibles.I think a sleeper may just be Brian Hoyer.

16. People are wondering whether Green Bay will apply the “tag” to Flynn? Well, we will find out soon enough. If I was in Flynn’s shoes(big IF) and was offered $14.5 million to presumably hold a clipboard for 1 NFL season I would sign that offer sheet before it hit the desk. After that year was over chances are I would be bound for a South Pacific island living in a souped up bamboo hut with a nice surf break out front. I envision fishing and hammocks swaying in warm tropical breezes taking up much of my time. Let’s not forget that satellite dish to keep tabs on how my old teammates are doing. OK, I’ll snap out of it.

If Flynn hits the open market unrestricted my feeling is the Hawks will pursue him hard. If tagged I don’t know. Giving up higher round draft picks for players tends to leave me sick to my stomach when draft day rolls around. 4th rounders and lower don’t cause the same discomfort.

As for SEC to NFL qbs, Stafford is another playing pretty good fooosball these days for the Lions in addition to Newton.

17. It is always iffy signing a free agent QB with very little experience.

18. RDPoulsbo says:

piperfeltcher: Franchise tagging to trade does happen. Jered Allen in 2008 was tagged by KC and traded to Minnesota. SD tried it with V. Jackson in 2010, but ultimately failed because of suspensions and overall bad attitude.

To me it seems plausible that they’d go all out to get a contract with Finley and then slap the non-exclusive FT on Flynn and let him negotiate with whoever he wants and deal him for a free 1st and/or 2nd round pick. You can call it underhanded move, but it is something they can do. If Barkley and Jones were in the draft, they probably couldn’t get away with it. But right now you have Indy drafting Luck and Cleveland, Washington, and Miami left scrambling for RG3 or a trade for an overpriced Manning if he ever plays again. At the very least, I’d think about it if I were GB’s GM. In that scenario, I don’t see Seattle winning a bidding war.

19. piperfeltcher says:

Yes players have been tagged and traded we did it with Galloway but where the players association will have a problem is the Franchise Tag was created to help teams keep there star players it was not created for teams to get leverage over a backup player who they do not intend to pay or play just to trade.

20. nighthawk2 says:

Completely forgot about Stafford. Doh!

Interesting point about tagging Flynn vs. Finley; although they could take Dwayne Allen or Coby Fleener at the end of the 1st round (or trade down from there and get one I suppose) why use a pick on a TE and then have to draft another QB to develop anyway? On the other hand, if they can get a 1st round pick for Flynn, and still can’t re-sign Finley, why not let him go in FA and use a pick on Allen or Fleener (unless they think Quarless is a starter). They still need to address another rush linebacker, help in the secondary and running back, not to mention some offensive line issues. Paying Flynn $14 mil (or more?) for a year if no one bites on the trade offer for a 1st round pick severely limits options on addressing those other needs in free agency.

21. Just sign the man (Flynn)! Go $12 million per season. I don’t care. It’ll be worth it in the grand scheme of things, IMO.

22. nighthawk2 says:

“It is always iffy signing a free agent QB with very little experience.
    Can you say Rob Johnson or Scott Mitchell? both had a couple of great games and ended up busts. For every Matt Hasselbeck or Mark Brunnell there is a Charlie Whitehurst. Be careful what you wish for….”

True, but guys like Matt Schaub and Brett Favre worked out pretty well. Favre was a 2nd year guy with the Falcons when he was traded for prior to the start of the 1992 season. He’d thrown 4 passes, half of which were intercepted, with no completions (to his own team) in his rookie year, 1991. Draft, free agency, it’s a crap shoot.

23. The Manning brothers both played in the SEC. They turned out okay.

24. The player association won’t have a problem with Green Bay franchising Flynn.

In a tag and trade, the first contract that is signed is the franchise tag contract immediately before the trade is commenced. Then after the trade is made, the player signs the new contract with the trade partner.

It is all pre-negotiated and bargained between the two teams and Flynn’s representatives. There is a precedent for it.

And if no one can reach a deal, well then Flynn will be a very rich man next year when he signs the tender before camp. And that’s why I don’t think it’s a risk Green Bay will be willing to take.

25. nighthawk2 says:

“The Manning brothers both played in the SEC. They turned out okay.”

Sure, keep mocking an old man’s memory.

26. :)

I’m glad you’re back!

27. nighthawk2 says:

Thanks. Someone has to be the curmudgeon here.

How about Fran Tarkenton and Ken Stabler…? HOFers

Wait, Stabler’s not in. Nevermind…

30. Southendzone says:

Franchising Flynn looks like maybe a 50/50 proposition right now and piper is right it will be very dependent on what happens with Finley. But I don’t see any chance where they franchise him and keep him as a 14.5M backup, that won’t happen.

If they franchise him they will go in fully knowing his value and likely trade partners.

The players association won’t give a crap about this and even if they did they have no say in the matter. It’s fully within the rules and acceptable.

Yeah, realistically there’s no chance they franchise Flynn unless they reach a deal with Finley first. And even then I think it’s unlikely to happen.

32. RDPoulsbo says:

It’s really not much of a risk for GB to tag Flynn. Simply put, there are more teams in desperate need of a starting QB, much less a franchise one than will be available this offseason. There are GMs on the hot seat to make immediate upgrades or they’ll get the axe. Kolb set the market last year when Philly got a 2nd and a former 1st round pick and he’s not that good. Even if the market is lower, a 2nd or 3rd round pick at the very lowest is still more than nothing. Don’t think that just because Seattle isn’t in deep desperation for a starting QB that teams like Cleveland or Washington aren’t. They’ll pull the trigger in a heartbeat if the price is just a single high pick and RG3 is off the board on draft day.

33. Brentlyr says:

Not be a total jackwagon here, but does everyone need a slap in the forehead? What team would franchise a backup QB? Answer: None.

They’d have to pay him the average of the top 5 QB’s in the league. And no team in their right mind (save for maybe the Raiders) would trade to acquire an unknown player with that kind of salary.

Next.

34. RDPoulsbo says:

Any team that pulls the trigger would be offering a contract with more guaranteed than $14M and a starting job with that trade. GB wouldn’t be paying him a dime. Just look at Kolb’s contract. OTHER teams would be willing to pay that money and then some. Their GM’s own job depends on landing a guy like that. All GB has to do is sit back and collect the rewards. It’s cold water on some people’s scenario of landing him, but it is a very real possibility.

35. raymaines says:

I don’t pretend to evaluate QB’s, but I really like the idea of giving up nothing more than Paul Allen’s money to get a good one, and use the draft picks in other positions.

Speaking of QB’s… I think the ‘Hawks think they have their developmental QB in Josh Portis so I’d be surprised to see them draft another developmental type guy. They either get AL, RG3, or Flynn. I’m thinking Flynn.

36. piperfeltcher says:

NFL teams are prohibited from trading franchise players. In fact, the rules say you may not franchise a player with the intent to sign him to a contract and then trade him. However, this rule has been broken before and the NFL tends to look the other way. Then again, this was one of the points of contention in the CBA negotiations last year, and I would not be surprised if the Players Association starts pressing the NFL into enforcing the rule. The question would be if the benefit the player association gets from the fact if he is franchised and traded the team trading for him would have given up compensation so is likely to sign him to a longer contract is worth more to them then what they gain from him hiting free agency.
    Also what happens if Flynn signs the tag then says he will only sign a long term contract with certain teams which would limit GB’s options as no one would trade for him unless they know he will renogotiate.

Why would Flynn intentionally limit his options to start somewhere? And do you have a link to that franchise rule. I’ve looked, albeit briefly, and cannot find anything that explisetly forbids it. But I’d love to learn the rule with certainty.

38. piperfeltcher says:

I think it is a given that Flynn will be starting somewhere so why would he not want to be able to pick when he holds all the power? http://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/collective-bargaining-agreement-2011-2020.pdf

39. @piperfeltcher

I tried to find that rule in your CBA link but after about 5 pages of “franchise player” reading my vision went out and a brain fog set in. I think I’ll be ok.

“Just sign the man (Flynn)! Go $12 million per season. I don’t care. It’ll be worth it in the grand scheme of things, IMO.

Then draft a pass rusher (DE, DT, OLB/DE) in at least two of the first 3 rounds.” -BobbyK

Agreed! If our 1st pick is not a pass rusher then let it be DeCastro to form THE offensive line. You still get rounds 2 and 3.

40. Southendzone says:

@piper:
    I’d say that your document spells out exactly what can happen for in this situation in regards to a tag & trade. It’s in 2(a)(i) down the paragraph in the non-exclusive tag section.
    ” If the club extends the tender pursuant to this subsection…..the player shall be permitted to negotiate a player contract with any club as if he were a player subject to section 5 below, except that draft choice compensation of 2 1st round draft selections shall be made with respect to such playeri n the event he signs with the new club.”

And as mentioned above by someone, I think this is what happened with Jared Allen and Vincent Jackson. They 2 1st round price can be negotiated with the club who franchised the player.

You can also add Jason Campbell, and Jay Cutler to the list of SEC qbs.

I think the SEC leads all College conferences with starting qbs in the NFL.

I keep asking myself how can Flynn not be an upgrade over what we have now?
    If we keep what we have at qb for next season we could have a worse record and miss the playoffs even if we continue to get better everywhere else. Imo.
    Our defense will face better qbs next year and our division continues to get better.

Bring Flynn in and we will win! Bring Flynn in and we will win!

Oh, I forgot. The new most popular player in the U.S.A is also a qb from the SEC.
    What is his name? I haven’t heard it much of late. Lol.