Final: Niners 19, Hawks 17

Post by Eric Williams on Dec. 24, 2011 at 4:42 pm with 32 Comments »
December 24, 2011 4:42 pm
Seattle receiver Richardo Lockette catches a 44-yard pass in the opening quarter against San Francisco. (AP Photo/Kevin Casey)

The San Francisco 49ers escaped with a 19-17 win on the road on Christmas Eve over NFC West division rival Seattle at CenturyLink Field.

The win eliminates Seattle from playoff consideration at 7-8 overall with one game left next week at Arizona.

The Niners moved to 12-3 on the year, and still have a shot at earning the No. 2 overall seed in the NFC depending on what happens between New Orleans and Atlanta on Monday night.

Seattle running back Marshawn Lynch provided the offensive spark for the Seahawks, finishing with 107 yards on 21 carries.

Seattle linebacker Heath Farwell put Seattle in position to take the lead at the end of the game, blocking San Francisco punter Andy Lee’s punt, with the Niners recovering at the 4-yard line.

Lynch broke San Francisco’s streak of not allowing a rushing touchdown this season on a 4-yard jaunt around the right side into the end zone, giving Seattle a 17-16 lead with 6:41 left.

But the Niners came right back to take the lead for good, marching six plays on 39 yards, with kicker David Akers punching in the game winner from 39 yards out, one of four field goals on the day.

Lynch also broke San Francisco’s 36-game streak of not allowing a 100-yard rusher – the last running back to do that before the Seattle runner was Green Bay’s Ryan Grant in November 2009.

Seattle quarterback Tarvaris Jackson had two opportunities to get Seattle into the end zone in the final three minutes, but was unsuccessful.
Check out the stats here.

And let me know your thoughts on the game in the comments section.

Game coverage
  1. nidhighe says:

Disappointed, but we gave them a good fight and this will be a fun rivalry in future seasons.

2. Nothing to be ashamed of today. Love that Lynch broke both of the rushing defense streaks.

Look, TJ is not a great QB – - he has some strengths, but really, he’s not a playmaker. And he’s just a little bit hesitant in general – that leads to him hanging onto the ball rather than taking a shot at a risky pass – and sometimes that hurts more than it helps.

I’m bummed not to see Harbaugh and Niners go down – but we put up a very tough fight. I still feel very good about what Carroll has done to this club in 2 yrs.

3. Ewalters7354 says:

Inspite of the loss I am proud of this young team.We are moving in the right direction.Love u boys!

4. DisplacedSeahawkFan says:

Tavaris Jackson lost this game for us. He is just horrible. For all the talk about his mobility, I’ve never seen him break a good run: he either gets hurt, or turns the ball over like he did today. Alex Smith is a better scrambler than Tavaris. Then he missed his final throw high. I’m so disappointed in Tavaris Jackson.

Also, what happened to our run defense? How did we allow San Fran to convert all of those 4th downs? Even more frustrating was Crabtrees 30+ yard catch.

This loss spoils Christmas a little.

5. Yuck.

I mean, I know it was such a slim shot for a playoff spot anyways, but it just pisses me off to lose at home and to that team and in that way.

Also, this game didn’t make me like Harbaugh any more.

I did like that our team showed some nasty. Nobody hung their heads or gave up, and that’s encouraging. Looking forward to a revived rivaly between these “programs.”

Penalties still. Yuck.

Well, this game really encompassed a lot of the season’s failings: inability to finnish, lack of discipline, damaging play from the QB position, special team failings (kick / punt coverage is inept), to name 4. With that, the future of this franchise is so wonderfully bright, but they will have to clean some things up, moving forward.

There were some great things today too. However, how they essentially abandon the run coming out of half is mind boggling. And that throw to end the game leaves me speechless. Did Jackson think it was third down, because that’s how it appeared? That throw has to go between the numbers. PERIOD. To the sideline? And that high? Wow…

7. freedom_X says:

Glad to see SF’s streaks broken (100 yd. rusher, rushing TD.) At least it means a better draft pick.

Seattle played hard, but I didn’t think the defense was as good as it should have been at home. Had this been a road loss I would have applauded the D, but with the home field advantage I expected more out them, especially in pass pressure and against the run. They didn’t seem to do well against misdirection.

Tarvaris Jackson shows why Seattle needs a top QB. By no means was this loss Tarvaris’ fault – I am absolutely not blaming the loss on him, and he performed solidly – but a top QB makes the plays to put Seattle over the top (and doesn’t fumble in that key situation.) It must be admitted he’s a bit shy on offensive targets, and he didn’t throw any picks, but a top QB makes the difference in close situations.

The defense and O-line would have to take yet another step upwards in level to compensate. (not that the O-line can’t stand to improve.)

The good: Lynch. Clearly. The defense in general, actually. They have some issues up front. They’ve struggled to control line for over a month now. It’s pretty obvious, to me, that they need to upgrade 3-tech and need a rush DE. But the LBs (despite a couple assignment gaffs today) and the secondary are money.

As I said though, this team is on the right track and I’m really excited about their future.

9. so much for how ya finish. #7 dumber then a box of rocks. Damn I just can’t believe what I saw. I’m certain he didn’t know what down it was. Two yards and time on the clock. You just can’t coach or teach a player out of stupid. There is a reason he and jesus never cracked 2nd or 3rd string. I saw the best example of that today. He is n’t as advertised. A career backup at best. Damn it.

10. Good game by the D. Held them to 5 FG attempts. That’s huge.

So jacked to see Beast Mode get 100yds and a TD and bust up both of those streaks in one game.

But this is exactly why we need a QB. TJack is not capable of getting wins when we NEED him to. The QB is the most important possition on the team and when it’s one of your weakest points, that’s a huge problem.

I take no pride in a close game with SF. I wanted to wipe that smug, cocky face off Harbaugh’s head every time I saw it.

But many positive things to take from this year. Let’s go get 1 more win against the Cards, finish 8-8, add some pieces in the offseason and next yearr the West is ours. Go Hawks!

11. For all the talk about his mobility, I’ve never seen him break a good run: he either gets hurt, or turns the ball over like he did today. ”

The people that talk about his mobility just haven’t seen him play. He’s good some good things to his game, but he’s a below-average scrambler, and almost never makes people miss in the pocket.

Smith isn’t great, but he’s better than TJ – and all said, that difference was probably the difference in the final score today.

12. DisplacedSeahawkFan says:

PDWay

I agree, and I couldn’t have said it better. T.Jack has no mobility, and every time he scrambles he gets sacked (is what I meant). Next year he should be demoted to second string and Whitehurst should be let go entirely. For our organization to move forward we have to address our QB issue. Hopefully Carrol and Schneider agree on this fundamentally vital point.

13. i want the win against the Cards next week too – if for nothing else – to show some improvement over last year’s record. Feels like we’re a good bet to make the playoffs next year.

14. DisplacedSeahawkFan says:

A win against the Cards would be good. However, I don’t care if we lose because of the draft implications.

15. MadSweeney42 says:

How can anyone be disappointed in TJ? He’s been stupid all year long. He seems like a nice guy and a competitor, but outside the pocket he’s a complete moron (in the pocket he’s mediocre). He’s exactly what we got when we signed him and I hope today is the final nail in the coffin for anyone who thinks he’s a viable QBoF. Jesus, TJ, the game is on the line and you’re holding the ball out for anyone to slap. Unacceptable.

Forsett gets the Marion Barber Award. Him trying to get 1 extra yard cost his team 8 seconds and a down because they spiked the ball. Unacceptable from a rookie, much less an experienced vet. Utterly unacceptable. But, the good thing is that TJ was in stupid mode anyway so it probably didn’t matter.

Speaking of stupid mode, I’m going to be exceptionally upset if the broken 3rd and goal wasn’t supposed to be a handoff to Lynch. Feed the Beast with the goalline that close. Oh, and TJ, DON’T GO OUT OF BOUNDS AND GIVE THEM ANOTHER TIMEOUT (basically) YOU MORON.

This game really, really pissed me off. Once again, we could’ve beaten the Niners without a bunch of stupid mistakes. A terrible game by a lot of players and coaches that should know better. How many carries did Lynch get in the 2nd half? He had what, 70 yards at half? Very bitter right now, obviously. And I didn’t even want to make the playoffs anyway and keep knocking our draft pick back, but once the game starts…. I just can’t abide losing.

16. “Tarvaris Jackson shows why Seattle needs a top QB. By no means was this loss Tarvaris’ fault – I am absolutely not blaming the loss on him, and he performed solidly – but a top QB makes the plays to put Seattle over the top (and doesn’t fumble in that key situation.)”

That’s basically how I feel too. I’m mostly a TJ backer, he’s exceeded my expectations for him, most of the time. And I’m ok with him starting next year if we draft a QB high in the draft.

He can and has made some good throws this year. But he’s just not a playmaker, so you can’t help but want to make an upgrade.

I doubt if we would have made the playoffs even if we had won this game, but at least this team made it interesting up to this point. Not bad for being in the 2nd year of rebuilding.

18. raymaines says:

I get so tired of hearing about draft position. High is always better than low I suppose, but it’s so much more important to pick right than to pick high.

In 2009 we picked high and got Aaron Curry, while Washington, Houston, and Tampa Bay picked in the middle and got Brian Orakpo, Brian Cushing and Josh Freeman, Green Bay picked near the bottom and got Clay Mathews.

I agree raymaines- I wouldn’t be disappointed if we traded out of our first round pick to move back and acquire more picks.

20. freedom_X says:

If you pick high, you have more choice of getting the player you want. Seattle could have picked Orakpo or Matthews. I’m not sure that post-steroids Cushing and Freeman are such great hits anymore, though they’d have had more value to Seattle than Curry. We might be calling Cushing or Freeman busts @#4 too, just not as big as Curry.

I’m sure the fans here would be raking Freeman over the coals with his performance this year. It actually is no better, perhaps worse, than Jackson, especially if you factor Jackson’s injury into account.

Whether you pick the right player is a different matter. If Seattle wants to trade up to get a key impact player, 5 spots in the draft can make all the difference. Now that Seattle’s out of the playoffs, time to go Machiavellian and plot for the best position.

21. we are just one position away from it all cant wait to see what moves this coach makes this next year ! Look for our D to rule the league in 12 gona be our year ! I think coach knows what we need and he IN IT to WIN IT Long live the BEAST

22. we got the best D goin forward we young and agressive

23. Here is my glass half empty take on today: ( I have glass half full view too but I HAVE to vent!!!)

Defense: They were good today but not great by any means! In the first half we gave them MANY opportunities and THEY blew them. 2 dropped passes on wide open receivers on the right side line.

We gave up MANY key plays to them some were not big gainers but they were big plays.

DLINE very seldom ever got pressure on Smith – it was pathetic at some points. I would trade their front 4 for ours straight up based on todays play.

Offense: 2nd half was PATHETIC. play calling was weak and pathetic in the 3rd quarter. the plays Lynch was in they split him out wide! He had 85 yards in the 1st half – USE HIM!!! Speaking of first half the play calls were TERRIBLE in the last 1:20 – they kept flooding the right side of the field and made it easy to play defense – of course he had to throw it away. You have 3 time outs left. USE THE MIDDLE OF THE FIELD and call a time out!! if you get 10 more yards you are in FG range.

Special teams: who ever let Washington return kick after kick out the endzone is an IDIOT. We were having trouble blocking all day. Pete complained about having poor position every time, but if you take a knee when there are 3 UNBLOCKED guys bearing down on you gives you an extra 5-7 yards on each of those possesions. Opens up your offense to what you were able to run in the first half.

Coaching: Pete => Harbaugh OWNS you! he has dominated you every time you have played in the last few years (college and Pro) You better figure out a way to actually beat him next year but honestly I don’t see it right now.

Reffing: Total crap today – if the hawks would have acted like the niners today we would have had at least 5 Personal fouls.
    At least once but I think twice #24 left the bench area, with helmet in hand – rushed onto the field got into the fray pushed a few players and was escorted back to the sidelines by an official.

#51 after a good tackle on ST got up and head butted 2 Seahawks players. Not forcefully but chestbumped and made facemask contact. When someone got in his face the official went to the Hawks player and backed him off. (Gresham on the very next punt for the hawks – totally cheap shotted #51 so he got his due)

#77 was pushing on 3 consecutive plays on their TD drive – all the had the official talking to him after the play. They play before the TD he got in Someones face so they stood up to him. He open handed punched the facemask of a seahawk when others gathered around WITH an official He did it AGAIN, still no call.

These are the types of plays we have been getting nailed on all year long. NO calls today at all.

Does anyone think we would have been better for just this year to have signed hasselbeck? Would we be in the playoffs if we had signed him?
    And instead of picking Carpenter in the first round should we have drafted a d-lineman in a d-lineman heavy draft?

25. If Carpentar plays well for the next 7-10 years (probably at G not T) then I am fine with the pick. If we are feeling we can do better by the end of next season I will be HIGHLY disappointed in the pick.

You can’t do the what if with Hass. It’s a different Offense now and who knows if we could have stayed healthy and we would have had to go with Charlie for more than one game!

And what’s wrong having Charlie go for more than one game? He didn’t do too bad last year in the Rams game did he? And he didn’t turn the ball over in that game like T Jack did in this game did he?

27. Did you not watch him play this year?

Play one game? How can you make a judgement on just one game lol. As a back up Charlie would have been adequate behind Hasselbeck who has been injured less than T Jack this year, and is still in the playoff hunt!

29. Georgia – Charlie was not adequate last year against the Giants – did fine against the Rams. was 12/30 for 97 yards against the Browns. Sucked and had to be Replaced in his 2nd start by an INJURED Tjack. and granted played a few good series against NYG this year

so I guess I could say how can you say he would be adequate on just one good game. (and 2 good series)

and I never said I didn’t like Hass just said I think it is a tough comparison since the teams are different.

30. freedom_X says:

Hasselbeck would never have survived the beating from the awful Seattle line in the 1st 6 games of the year. Jackson and Whitehurst combined barely survived it.

If we could have put Hasselbeck in a cryogenic chamber then cracked him out of it in late October to play, maybe Seattle would be better off now. But that wouldn’t have been possible.

31. Hass
    15 15 297 483 61.5 3,274 6.8 16 14 16 131 80.5 19 53 2.8 0 4 1
    Jackson
    14 13 250 415 60.2 2,869 6.9 13 12 37 262 79.5 40 107 2.7 1 8 5

But if you do want to compare the 2 here are the season stats. very little difference – Hass has 400 more yards in an extra start. a QB rating 1.0 higher lower yards per attempt.

32. CHawkFanIn9erLand says:

If you’re a defensive/ball control/power running offense built upon relatively efficient qb that doesn’t turn the ball over, you cannot … CANNOT let the opposing team’s poor offense score three straight times in the third quarter. You just can’t do it. Sure the fumble hurt in the moment it happened, and sure goshdarnit the qb holding onto the ball at bad times hurt. Sure some penalties hurt us. But dang it, you can’t let them score four times in the second half. No way.

And you sure as heck can’t give up all those running yards. Not in our fricken house. Not when you know they’re gonna run it.

And OMG another week of qb’s getting long 1st down conversions because we don’t contain.

I’m so happy to see our team run the ball with all those linemen out. That was really awesome.

The defensive performance in the third quarter broke my heart.