Carroll: Niners a “formidable opponent”

Post by Eric Williams on Dec. 20, 2011 at 1:44 pm with 23 Comments »
December 20, 2011 1:44 pm

Seattle Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll said that his team is looking forward to playing NFC West division leader San Francisco on Christmas Eve this Saturday, and understands it will be a challenge.

“We’ve got a really formidable opponent in this one,” Carroll said. “I’m excited that we have these guys coming in to CenturyLink. It’s our last chance to play here this season, so we want to go out with a bang and do it right.”

Carroll is well aware of the fact that the Niners’ defense has not given up a rushing touchdown this season.

“That’s a pretty cool number,” he said. “I was around a team years ago that go through something like that. That’s something to protect. That’s something to fight for when you get the chance.

“So we’re going to throw it inside the 5-yard line every time we get down there,” joked Carroll

Carroll said that receiver Mike Williams had successful surgery to fix a broken left ankle today, and is expected to make a full recovery. Carroll said Williams has been placed on the season-ending, injured reserve.

“We feel like everything went just right,” Carroll said. “And so he’ll be back in a timely fashion. But we’ll miss him as he goes on IR.”

Carroll said to expect rookie Ricardo Lockette to get more of a look with Williams out

With the a vacant spot on the active roster, the Seahawks signed cornerback Phillip Adams, a second-year pro out of South Carolina State was released by New England in December.

Adams played in six games for New England, and had eight tackles and an interception.

“We have a couple concerns – Kennard Cox couldn’t finish the game last week,” Carroll said. Cox has been dealing with a hamstring issue the past, few weeks. “We’ve got to make sure we’re covered there, so we made the move today.”

Linebacker Malcolm Smith also is still dinged up with a head injury.

Formidable opponent… Couln’t help but think of the skit on The Colbert Report. lol

Smith and Cox have seemingly been dinged all season.

No doubt this will be the toughest test of the season. I really can’t wait to see how they respond. I just hope Jackson doesn’t tank an entire half before “waking up”, as it were. This will be a 4 quarter game and they’ll need everyone.

2. I’m predicting a blowout….Seahawks 41, 69ers 17

3. This is our “statement game”. Also, I’m taking my three boys, and they’re packing Skittles! It’s their first live Seahawks game.

We were in the game the first time we played them until the special teams imploded.

Not allowing a rushing touchdown all year is very impressive! They rarely beat themselves.

If we win the turnover battle we win the game imo.

5. Palerydr says:

This game is gonna start out as good ole smash mouth football so here’s to the Hawks taking the first punch and landing some widow makers early and often! Hope you and your young studs have a great time Audible nice Xmas present especially when the Hawks win.

6. JustaHawksGirl says:

Audible love the enthusiasm! Hope you and your boys enjoy the game and here’s hoping Lynch needs LOTS of those Skittles :)

After watching last nights game I just wasn’t that impressed with the 49ers as a whole. It was more of the Stealers/Roethlislimper giving them the game then the 49ers taking it.

8. edstang45 says:

I work with a couple of buddies who are 9er and Duck fans…I was hoping the dawgs were gonna be alot better in NCAAM but they are i guess to young yet. anyways I havent had to much to brag about down here in Camas WA. I havent shot my mouth off about the game Sat but boy oh boy if we win they’ll never and I mean never here the end to it!!!!!!! Go Wisconsin and GOOOO HAWKS!!!! P.S. I hate the Blazers TOOO!!!!!! I guess I live to close to Portland and too far away from my Home Seattle/Tacoma…

9. “After watching last nights game I just wasn’t that impressed with the 49ers as a whole.”

I don’t know – I’ll agree that their offense isn’t real scary – but is there a better defensive front 7 in the league right now? And last night’s version will be even better with Willis back.

Our best bet if for our D to keep creating turnovers for us. And if they want to run a couple of those picks all the way back again, that’ll work too . . .

10. hawkfan777 says:

I think it will be a low scorning game. I hope the Hawks blow them out though. Unfortunately I think there will be a lot of punts so I hope special teams play really well. The 49ers played really well last night in my opinion. Not flashy but they played well. They are actually playing very similar football to the Seahawks. Good run defense, good pass defense, good special teams, good run games and game manager QB’s.

Not singling anyone out in particular, but it’s interesting to me that SF has been knocked here, all season. They are a very soild football team. Yes, Alex Smith may crumble like 3rd world concrete in the face of pressure, but they’re good and hard-hitting team across the board, make no mistake.

edstang45- tell your buddies that are Duck fans that when the Ducks play an SEC team they look like a high school team! Too small.

And tell your buddies that are 9er fans that the Seahawks will be sending them from 2nd seed to 3rd seed after this weeks game!

13. seahawk44 says:

Hey fans, I just did a little unlikely scenario on the playoff machine. Check this out:

Week 16: Seahawks beat 49ers, Chargers beat Lions, Eagles beat Cowboys, Jets beat Giants, Saints beat Falcons, Bears beat Packers.

Week 17: Seahawks beat Cards, Packers beat Lions, Bears beat Vikings, Giants beat Cowboys, Eagles beat Redskins, Bucs beat Falcons.

The result is:

Seattle(5th seed) at Philadelphia(4th seed) [Bring on Trent Cole!]

Chicago would be the 6th seed at 49ers 3rd seed.

There are still a number of ways for this to turn out. But if Seattle loses and/or Detroit and Atlanta win this weekend, Seahawks will not be in the playoffs.

14. “I’m predicting a blowout….Seahawks 41, 69ers 17″

Audible, I think you interchanged the “4″ and “6″: Seahawks 61, 49ers 17. That’s more like it.

Seahawks44, that’s an interesting scenario. We actually have to root for the Bears to somehow beat the Packers this weekend. That would give the Packers more incentive to beat the Lions next week. I don’t think they’d want to go into the playoffs on a three-game losing streak.

Bear, Charger and Saint fan this weekend, for sure!

16. So was yesterday’s MNF game any more “real” than the Seahawks/Rams match of the previous Monday? After all, we were promised “real football”!

Hope the Hawks keep it real on Saturday, it’s another nationally televised game isn’t it?

It might be, but Dallas is playing the Eagles Saturday afternoon as well, and I’ve got to believe Fox would show that nationally.

18. Two things stand out from last nights game. The 49ers outphysicaled a Steelers team the way we did against Baltimore. Pretty impressive stuff from the NFC “Worst.”

The other thing is that Alex Smith is a sucky QB who is doing some things here and there to help his team win, but he still sucks (mostly the team is winning in spite of him). Did anyone notice a few of those passes he had for big gains or TDs that he simply couldn’t hit (and they still won)? It was almost like Jackson on the Obo throw in the 4th quarter the other day.

For the record, I think the 49ers are pretty good. I could see getting them at a good time though with the short week.

19. Palerydr says:

Make no mistake this is gonna be a tough hard hitting game but I believe the 12th man is gonna give us the edge in a close game.

20. Soggybuc says:

WOW, what an insult. did not know eastern Oregon was such a hot bed of Dallas and Philly fans.

Marshawn Lynch will be the first back to score a td on the 49ners this year! And we will win this game 24- 10.

22. letsworkitout says: