Morning links: Reaction to Hawks 38-14 win

Post by Eric Williams on Dec. 19, 2011 at 3:19 am with 37 Comments »
December 19, 2011 3:21 am
Seattle Seahawks defensive end Red Bryant (79) scores on a 20-yard interception return in the second half of an NFL football game against the Chicago Bears in Chicago, Sunday, Dec. 18, 2011. (AP Photo/Charles Rex Arbogast)

Good morning. I’m flying back to Seattle this morning, so we’ll have our Monday Morning QB live chat at noon today.

Here’s reaction to the Seahawks 38-14 win over Chicago, with Seattle evening their record to .500 for the first time since Week 13 last season.

At 7-7, the Seahawks are tied with Chicago, Arizona and the New York Giants with two games left. The Seahawks sit two games out of the NFC Wild Card hunt, with Detroit and Atlanta at 9-5.

Several different scenarios remain for Seattle to get into the postseason for a second straight year. But put simply, if Seattle wins its last two games – at home against San Francisco and on the road versus Arizona – and the Lions lose their final two games, then the Seahawks are in.

Take a spin on ESPN’s playoff machine and check out your own scenarios here.

Here’s my game story. Seahawks fullback Michael Robinson said his team is staying hungry: “Everybody is eating, you know what I mean? We’re all hungry and everybody is eating. We just have to stay focused.”

Seattle running backs coach Sherman Smith has an easy explanation for his team’s success in the second half of the season – giving the ball to Marshawn Lynch. “He wasn’t getting used,” Smith said. “He did what we asked him to do. He wasn’t getting a lot of touches, and he didn’t get a lot of opportunities. But when we started giving him opportunities, he started making it happen. And our wins went up when his production went up. So it works hand in hand. He needs to carry the football for us to win.”

Aan awful first half, Tarvaris Jackson redeemed himself and played inspired football in the final two quarters.

John McGrath of The News Tribune writes that Pete Carroll deserves to be in the conversation for coach of the year for his ability to salvage the second half of the season for Seattle.

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com writes that the Seahawks are focusing on finishing strong.

ESPN’s Mike Sando offers his thoughts on the game.

Danny O’Neil of the Seattle Times makes Tarvaris Jackson and Brandon Browner his players of the game.

Jerry Brewer of the Seattle Times says its finally time to admit the Seahawks are legit.

David Haugh of the Chicago Tribune says there’s plenty of blame to go around for the Bears’ second-half collapse against the Seahawks that left fans at Soldiers Field heading for the stands early in the fourth quarter.

Mark Potash of the Chicago Sun-Times writes that the Bears’ defense can’t make up for Caleb Hanie’s ineptitude.

Morning links
  1. edstang45 says:

Dang man do you ever sleep..Great game..terrible that lions came back, going to take a miracle to get in now. If we can win out against 9ers, and Cardinals it would defenitley be a good end to the season.
    I am torn still with TJ, is he worth us bypassing a QB in draft and go for a DE and pass rushing, Tj shows flashes. is it the play calling or the qb??

2. Caleb Hanie is one of the worst QBs I have ever seen in my entire life. I wonder if he’s a long lost relative to Spergyn Wynn? lol

That being said, I agree that Mr. Happy should get some coach of the year consideration. I don’t think anyone outside of pabs thought that we’d be this dominant by now.

Kam Chancellor isn’t one of your players of the game, O’Neil? Please re-watch the film.

This game swung to the Seahawks in about 2 and a half minutes early in the 3rd quarter. 3rd and 9 completion to Tate for 33 yards. Followed by the 43 yarder to Obo. Followed by Lynch’s 3 yard TD. Three plays; boom, boom, boom. After the kickoff, Bear’s second play of the half, Red picks it and “high-steps” it in. 14 point swing in less than three minutes and the Bears never sniff another point.

I don’t know if it was Bradley or Carroll that made the defensive adjustments (blitzing Wright often in combination with A gab or weak-side corner blitzes) but that was huge. Whoever it was deserves credit.

4. Re Sherman Smith’s comment, that seems a little simplistic to me. Lynch is awesome, not arguing that, but it seems the shift was more about a shift from Bevell’s offense to Cable’s.

Early on Pete seemed to have a “because of the lockout timeline we have to go with the Bevell/Jackson/Rice ready-to-go offense”. Then after struggling it really seems like they made the philosophical shift to Cable’s run-first offense with Jackson more as a game manager.

If that’s the case you have to credit Pete for making an in-season adjustment. It seems like Pete is more flexible than Holmgren was in this sense. Holmgren was all about making the players fit the system. The system was everything and Bill Walsh’s book was the bible. Pete seems to be more flexible in making the “system” fit the players/opponents etc. The halftime adjustments against the bears may be a case in point.

5. Seahawkfan78 says:

MikePDX, just about every game we have won this year as been thanks to the second half adjustments. I dont know what Pete is telling them in the locker room but I would love to be a fly on the wall to find out. It is very impressive. It reminds me of that the Oregon Ducks do at half time. One of these days we will have to be a true two half team, but right now it is working.

6. Seahawkfan78, I also really wonder if the Pete’s mantra of “it doesn’t matter how you start, it’s how you finish” doesn’t hurt us (it helps as well obviously). Look at hasselbeck’s last games as a seahawk. A mess to start but then finishing strong. It seems like offensively sometimes they think the first quarter or half doesn’t matter so they aren’t as sharp. It sure seems that way with jackson sometimes. Listening to Pete’s press conferences sometimes it really does sound like he believes the start is almost irrelevant. I dunno, just a thought…

7. Seahawkfan78 says:

Your probably right. They want to feel out the team to see what there game plan is. And if ours works, great! if not, we will change it up. I just wish TJack would drink more coffee or get going earlier then what he has.

8. BobbyK, Mike Flynn might be playing for the Seahawks in two weeks. Playing for the Seahawks’ playoff lives, that is. We’ll see what he does against Detroit while Aaron Rodgers sits on the bench.

If the Seahawks beat the Niners, they will be alive for the playoffs going into the last weekend. It’s always good to have a shot and not be eliminated early, draft position be damned.

9. Palerydr says:

Here’s to hoping the Steelers beat the crap outta the Niners tonight seeing as how I hate both teams it doesn’t matter to me who wins.

For this year I would love to see them win out to keep that feeling of winning going. Realistically we are gonna miss the playoffs this year but IMO this has already been a successful season as I picked them for 6 wins tops.

Looking ahead to next year with a draft pick in the mid to lower third of the draft the chances of getting a franchise QB prospect aren’t going to be as good as picking in the top half. If I were in charge I would explore all the possibilities of trading for Peyton Manning. My theory is we have a team right now that is missing a legit starting caliber NFL QB. With a full training camp Manning would make us SB contenders and IMO Jackson has proven that he would be an excellent BU QB. It would cost a min of 1 1st rounder and a conditional 2nd round pick, the Carson Palmer trade comes to mind. Trust in your scouting dept to find more diamonds to build depth from your remaining picks.

Before that, the ‘Hawks need another big winb against the 9ers and SD needs to play another solid game against the Lions. Big ‘Bolts fan this Christmas Eve.

11. And after that, we could be all big Matt Flynn fans.

I can’t express how sick I am over the Cleveland and Washington games right now. Life would be so much simpler with even one of those wins.

13. Palerydr says:

Agreed I would say our growing pains are really hurting us now so you just do the best you can with what you have. Winning your own games is all you can do now. Go Hawks!

14. Seahawks2620 says:

Pretty cool that the Hawks are a top 10 defense now.

As for free agency and the draft. I too wonder if we will have the opportunity to draft a QB this time around without trading up for a top pic. I am not so sure Schneider and Carroll will be interested in doing so, seeing as how they love their draft picks. I could definitely see us making a very very strong effort at trading for a QB that is already in the league. That being said, Landry Jones’ stock is really plummeting, and it is possible that he will be their in the later parts of the first round.

I would also LOVE to see us throw a good chunk of change at Carl Nicks this off-season. He would do some amazing things for this offensive line. Okung- Nicks- Unger- Moffit-Carpenter could be a beast of a line for years to come.

I’m concerned a bit with their run defense, truth be told. End of game stats are impressive, but in reality, they’ve been giving up fairly sizable gains on first down the past several weeks. And yesterday it wasn’t until Seattle took a lead and forced Chicago to throw that they were able to slow the running down. 88 yards in the first half isn’t how you want to start. And it won’t get much easier next week with Gore carrying the rock. They have the horses up there, and I’m sure they’re a bit worn down late in the season, but got to dig deep moving forward. Especially against the 9ers. Make Smith beat you. Don’t let them have any balance.

16. Duke – maybe you will feel better knowing Peter King has moved the Seahawks up to number 11 in his power rankings.

pab – My heart is filled with joy.

18. Palerydr says:

Duke I can’t find the link but I heard the announcer say that the Hawks are #1 in avg ypc on first down. I wanted to see if that has been trending up towards the end of the season to see if you are right. Need our stats expert Klm.

I’d be willing to bet it’s trending up, but I’d be interested in seeing those numbers.

And klm has been M.I.A. for months. Where’d he go?

20. Seahawkfan78 says:

This is according to ESPN…

RANK TEAM ATT YDS YDS/A LONG TD YDS/G FUM
    11 Seattle 402 1488 3.7 32 8 106.3 3

21. mojjonation says:

Someone on here said they don’t like the Steelers or the Niners. I’m all for that. But I’ll root for the Steelers to roll the Niners up, just so San Fran can go into the post season knowing they were/are headed the wrong way after we take care of business on Saturday. BMW broke an ankle. Big deal. He hasn’t shown up all season. The bigger question is who will be moved up to that #1 guy. No one we have is necessarily a number one receiver, but someone will get the tag. My vote is for Obamanu. Only because he isn’t a rookie. Baldwin is a close second.

I am in agreement with everyone who says that whoever makes the halftime adjustments is a friggin’ genius. Three straight games over 30 points. Lynch over a thousand yards. Interchangable parts on the O-line. This is ridiculous.

I predicted four wins. I am obviously off. Playoffs or no playoffs, this is the beginning of what could be a very good run for this team. I am still not sold on TJ as a QB with his uncanny ability to get his block knocked off for holding onto the ball to long. That being said, I think D-line depth, a top shelf QB (not a game manager), WR depth ( I say this because Rice is always hurt and BMW is out, probably for good), then O-line depth (listed as fourth because our parts have been changed out and Beast Mode still pounds the rock). If Coach RARA and JS can make up some MOJO for the free agent market and the draft, I think we will be sitting pretty.

22. Palerydr says:

Thanks Seahawkfan78 I saw those numbers but not what I was actually trying to find. Found this link you have to read to understand the numbers but it indicates from my interpretation that overall the Hawks run def is in the top 5 overall. SF run defense is #1 overall and they haven’t allowed a rush TD this year….yet(Beast Mode is coming).

these stats still don’t answer the question of first down runs but still a good indicater I believe overall

23. Palerydr says:

With Jacksons inability to move his head and throw to the left side it really doesn’t matter who the starter is. I would suspect it will be Butler which would keep everyone else in their spot. I would also expect Lockette to get some action this week. I’m pretty sure Jackson won’t be able to overthrow a ball to a wide open Lockette but I’ve been wrong before.

24. Two questions. How many draft slots will the Seahawks drop in the first round if they made the playoffs? Last year it was something like 8 picks.

And, is it worth more to this team to play in a playoff game this year, or to draft higher in a draft where several amazing young quarterbacks will disappear during the first round.

Last year, I think the playoff win over New Orleans was so inspiring to this young team that it was worth any sacrifice to get there. This year, I’m not so sure I wouldn’t rather have a higher pick for our QB of the future.

IMO, it’s always worth trying to win every single game you play. It’s always worth trying to make the playoffs every single season. And it’s always worth trying to win the Championship every single year. Otherwise, what the hell are we doing here? And beyond the ethics of the thing, there are far too many variables to rely on draft position in order to get better.

26. Palerydr says:

Been watching the replay(no work today) and something not talked about but was a major key before the game is Jon Ryan and the punt team against Hester because we aren’t talking about it then I would say we got it done. Also Duke was right as Chancellor had a monster game maybe not on the stat board but all the little stuff.

27. Palerydr says:

Win every game you play it establishes a winning mindset that can’t be drafted.

28. If you can’t get Luck, screw draft position and win. I’ve never wanted to lose unless there is a guaranteed franchise QB available with the #1 overall pick and I’ve only ever seen two of those in my lifetime (John Elway and Luck).

I’m not as sold on Matt Flynn anymore because I think he’s going to go through the natural growing pains of becoming a starter and isn’t going to be good until 2013. Well, I think we’re ready to win next year! Previously, I thought next year would be a rebuilding year, too (which would have been perfect with Flynn). It’s not that I’ve changed my mind on him (I still think he’ll eventually be good in the right system with decent players around him). This may sound weird to some, but I think T-Jack is better for ’12 than Flynn simply b/c of his experience (but I don’t think Jacksons ceiling is as high as Flynns long term).

We need a legit QB acquired via trade and although I was joking about Peyton Manning a few days ago, I’m more intrigued about “kicking the tires” because I do think a top-shelf QB could get us to the Super Bowl next year. Obviously, I wouldn’t trade a crazy amount of picks away and I’d want our medical people to okay it, too. Mr. Happy has proved that he’s willing to change things to fit the people he wants and I think he’d be thrilled to have Manning even if he’s not as athletic as he wants. Snap out of it, bobbyk, damn you thinking about Manning! Uhhh!

One thing that worries me a bit is that under the new CBA a guy like Chancellor is going to be a FA in two years. We’ve got a bunch of young talented guys and they are all going to want to get paid after their 4th year (I hope we can lock them up long term after the 3rd year). The only bad part about having this much talent is that if you’ve got a bunch of good, young players you simply can’t pay all of them what they will want.

On the flip side, Manning (STOP! STOP! STOP!) makes a lot of money (ignore!) but, in a good way, if Schneider can keep setting the table for comPete, then maybe we can continue with the good times even if we can’t pay everyone in a couple of years?

I really don’t want a rookie to start next year, now that we seem to be ready to win sooner than any of us expected. And it’s simply not being ready to win to comPete, but we’re ready to win the Super Bowl with a good QB (and another pass rusher).

I am still intrigued by Dexter Davis hopefully adding some pressure next year and I really like how Wright has been effective on some blitzes. Good stuff. It’s good to have hope!

Does anyone else notice that Heater looks like Lofa last year? He seems pretty gimpy and not himself.

29. bobbyk – Stop talking about Manning! Tell him (me) to shut up!

30. Palerydr says:

LOL @ Bobby it’s ok Bobby I’m right there dreaming with you but if you insist then Shut up already! :)

31. Palerydr says:

Seriously I feel we have a good situation for Manning to come to a good solid defense, a reasonably effective offensive line, some reasonably decent skill players and a coaching staff that traded for you which would indicate a willingness to work with you. Plus we are in a div that is perceived as weak and winnable. The only negative is learning an offense you aren’t completely familiar with.

Bobby – Heater’s knee has him slowed, clearly. If you watch him run, he really drags that leg along. He’s still playing at a fairly high level considering, but he’s nowhere near 100%.

33. Duke and Bobby, I would never question whether we should “win every single game” or not. They should work to win every game, of course. I’m questioning whether its better to win, go to the playoffs and lose draft position, or win, miss the playoffs and gain draft position.

To me, the right answer depends entirely on who Carroll and Schneider are targeting for their QB in this draft. They need to win first, then position their draft to get their QB. Its what this offseason is all about. That positioning gets easier for them if Detroit wins.

Well, even in that particular circumstance, I’d vote playoffs. Again, there are too many variables, not the least of which is how other teams ahead of you draft. We’ve all seen how players drop or raise in the 3 months between the end of the season and the draft. There’s simply too much uncertainty for me to be in favor of passing up playoffs for draft position.

35. Win Forever! Unless you can Suck for Luck.

36. If the Seahawks were 1-13 and front-runners to draft Luck, I wouldn’t be as excited about the future as I am now. I’d love for them to finish 9-7, whether or not they make the playoffs.