Gallery misses second straight practice

Post by Eric Williams on Dec. 15, 2011 at 3:21 pm with 25 Comments »
December 15, 2011 3:21 pm

The Seattle Seahawks could be starting their seventh different offensive line combination on Sunday against Chicago.

Offensive guard Robert Gallery missed practice for a second straight day with a hip issue. Allen Barbre worked at left guard with the first unit in Gallery’s place.

Also sitting out for a second straight day was defensive end Raheem Brock (calf). New players sitting out include cornerback Richard Sherman (knee) and offensive lineman Jarriel King (hamstring). Sherman missed some practice time last week with a calf issue.

Receiver Doug Baldwin (ankle) and linebacker David Hawthorne (hamstring) returned to practice and were full participants. And quarterback Tarvaris Jackson (pectoral), linebacker Leroy Hill (nec) and cornerback Kennard Cox (hamstring) were full participants.

Jackson, who faced Chicago twice a year playing in Minnesota and is 2-0 against the Vikings as starter, talked about what makes the Bears’ defense tough to score on.

“First of all, they’re ball hawks,” Jackson said. “They go after the football, and they take pride in taking away the football. And they’re going to try and stop the run. So they’re going to try and stop you on first and second down so they can get in there Tamp 2, or bring their blitz package and come off the edge and try and create turnovers, hoping that you make a mistake.”

Seattle defensive coordinator Gus Bradley said Chicago’s offense has been more conservative with backup Caleb Hanie at the controls.

“They’re more committed to the running game,” Bradley said. “They’ve had some real good running games in the past, couple games with a lot of yards. So they’re a little bit different than the first time we played them last year, when we saw all the passes. I think when we charted it we had 27 pressures out of 60 plays.

“So they’ve changed their mindset and are going with a more ball-controlled offense.”

Notes from practice
  1. I’m glad we didn’t draft Eugene Monroe (not that Curry was good either).

2. you just can’t have too much O-line depth. lesson going forward.

3. It’s clear Jacksonville is in the running for one of the Top 3 QBs in the draft.

4. Except for Drew, the Jags really look brutal on offense. The QB, line, and receivers all look crappy. That’s not a good combination.

pabuwal – Combining all the career receptions of tonight’s active receivers for Jax, that total is less than White’s receptions this season alone. Think about that for a minute. They have the worst WR corp in the NFL, by miles. They are a combination of retreds, practice squad signings (other team’s PS mind you) and injuries. Gabbert may bust out, that remains to be seen. But they are not selecting a QB with their first pick in next April’s draft. He has next to nothing to work with and it would be a gross disservice to him, the city and the organization to pull the plug on him without giving him a modicum of talent, at the very least.

6. But do you even know who their Top 3 QBs are?

7. Soggybuc says:

Jacksonville is sadly going down the road of Alex Smithing Blaine. he has talent but he needed some time to get it all together. instead it’s here rookie start with crap talent, oh and here year 2 guy have a new system to learn with crap talent. oh here year 3 guy have a new system because we fired half the staff after 1 season and oh look we got you one half way decent guy to throw too so why are you not in the pro bowl yet?

Bad front offices ruin talent, not develop it!

8. I wonder why it’s okay for T-Jack to get over a half decade to “prove” himself in the world of pabs, but in his world he already has Gabbert as a bust after a handful of starts with horrible surrounding talent?

I do agree that Gabbert doesn’t look good, but why was it okay for Jackson to not look good in Minnesota with Hutch, AP, Rice, etc. but now Gabbert sucks enough to want to draft a top-3 QB (who won’t have much talent around him either) in the upcoming draft.

pabs – I’m looking forward to one of your crazy justifications here:)

9. Prediction of the Day:

Tom Brady with linemen who can block for more than 2 seconds and receivers who can catch the ball is going to be better than Tom Brady with linemen who can’t block for 2 seconds and receivers who can’t catch.

Maybe that’s not a fact, but it’s a hunch. I doubt many others think that way though.

10. Jimmy Clausen to Cam Newton

11. The Panthers traded up into the top 10 picks in the draft to get Jimmy?

The Panthers have two players on its OL (Kalil, Gross) who are infinity times better than anyone the Jags have on their line. Steve Smith is better than any Jags WR with one hand tied behind his back and the Carolina RB double headed monster is pretty good (but not as good as Jones-Drew on his own).

Hey, I’m no Gabbert defender, I didn’t like him in the draft last year (I thought Locker and Ponder were both better, although I would have taken Gabbert over Newton, mainly b/c I thought he was a talented meathead) and he still looks like he sucks but I’m just not sure of the double standard that seems to be running rampant with some people deserving 394 years to develop and some getting thrown under the bus after a couple of starts.

trojans-matt-kalil-enter-2012-nfl-draft

Kalil is coming out after all.

I would be happy if we got one of the Stanford lineman with our first round pick.

13. My comparison of the Jaguars Offense to the this Sunday’s Seahawks offense

RB – MJD > Lynch, Advantage Jags
    WR – Baldwin is better than the Jags number 1 WR, but after that both groups are the same, Advantage Seahawks
    TE – Lewis > Miller, Advantage, Jags
    OL – Same, but I might give an advantage to the Jaguars here with Gallery possibly being out. They couldn’t handle Abraham and the Seahawks couldn’t handle Long before last week. I am a little worried about Peppers.

I don’t see the surrounding talent all that different between both teams.

For future reference, are you guys saying the Jaguars should pass up Barkley or RG3 if available and go with Gabbert as the future?

14. HawkfaninMT says:

I could be wrong Pabs but I think the biggest difference in your comparison is that the Jags are relatively healthy on offense aren’t they? If you did the same comparison with thier team and the Hawks as a healthy offensive unit, I think you will see what Bobby is alluding to.

15. HawkfaninMT says:

And I am saying that I sure hope they pass on those guys! I would love for either one of them to fall to around 8-10 and the Hawks trade up to get one. Trading up to 10 from the late teens won’t cost nearly as much as trading up to the top 5

16. I think BobbyK’s point is that Jackson has this great supporting cast propping him up and Gabbert doesn’t. Sunday will be a pretty good test to see how Jackson plays in a hostile environment, against a good defense and with a Gabbert like supporting cast.

17. Seahawkfan78 says:

Didn’t the Hawks handle Abraham? I dont recall any sacks in that game, for either team.

18. That was with the team fully healthy, but I doubt Sunday’s team could handle him the same way. Long was abusing the Seahawks until he left with injury.

Guys, I think the Seahawks offense fully healthy is pretty good. But missing Rice and Okung are huge. And then compound that with the Seahawks having to dig pretty far down the depth chart for the rest of the OL really changes the complexion of the offense.

19. Seahawkfan78 says:

I am predicting it the game will be similar to what last year’s regular season game. The Hawks will channel their inner Tebow and win the game.

pabuwal – I never once mentioned “top 3 QBs”, that’s your whipping post.

With Cutler and Forte out we have a very fair chance to win this game.Imo.
    We just have to get through that first quarter without too many mistakes, and don’t let the crowd or Hester get them going.

22. Palerydr says:

Like we really give a crap about who Jacksonville drafts. I’ll go on record right now they don’t draft a QB but instead go for Justin Blackmon the WR. Just look at Cincy getting Green and Dalton Gabbert needs a guy who can make plays. They don’t need a new QB.

23. piperfeltcher says:

If the Hawks kick one ball to Hester all night they deserve to lose. Special teams is the only offensive weapon the Bears have left.The Jags are going to ruin Gabbert the kid has a ton of potential but is raw with only 1 season starting in college. He really needed to sit on the bench a year and learn from a vet but instead Jacks cut there vet 3 days before the season and throw Gabbert to the wolves.

24. Matt Kalil declaring for the draft is good news. That might push one of the better QBs down a notch toward us.

25. I was questioning why they didn’t move Gallery to LT after Okung was hurt. I’ve thought that Gallery at LT and McQ at LG would be a better lineup.

Now I can see why they moved McQ to LT. They know Gallery hasn’t been healthy and can’t be expected to stay on the field this year. Like a lot of people here predicted, he was a risky signing, sort of a desperation move they had to make to help implement the Cable running game. But we can’t count on him for next year. Time to add another OG to the Seahawks draft wish list.