Lockette a football guy first, track guy second

Post by Eric Williams on Dec. 14, 2011 at 1:35 pm with 23 Comments »
December 14, 2011 1:35 pm

Seattle Seahawks rookie receiver Richard Lockette was all smiles talking to reporters in the locker room, talking about being on the active roster for the first time in his professional career.

“It’s a dream come true, man” Lockette said. “I’ve been waiting on this since I was five or six, playing little league football and my dad being the head coach.”

Seattle head coach Pete Carroll announced the move was official today, and that Lockette had earned the spot by his work in practice.

The 25-year-old has made several impressive catches in practice the past, few weeks.

“The Rocket is coming up, and we’re happy to make that move for him,” Seattle head coach Pete Carroll said. “He’s been practicing like crazy and working like he’s been part of the roster.”

Lockette said that he’s greatly improved since arriving at the VMAC as a green rookie in July.

“I would say I’m a totally different athlete,” Lockette said. “Coming in from a small school to being on the practice squad, I learned a lot from the players around me like Sid (Sidney Rice (Rice) and Obo (Ben Obomanu). I just kind of sat in their shadows and learned everything possible.”

Originally from Albany, Ga., Lockette said he initially was offered a scholarship from Auburn, but his SAT scores weren’t good enough and he instead attended Division II Fort Valley State in Georgia, where his father played running back and his mother played volleyball.

Lockette won the Division II national championship in the 200 meters, and his best time is 20.37. His personal best in the 100 meters is 10 seconds flat.

“I just try and translate that to the field and control my routes a bit more,” Lockette said. “And hopefully I get a chance to make some big plays with the Seahawks.”

Lockette wanted clear something up – he’s not a track guy playing football, but a football player who ran track.

Lockette said he only participated in track for three years during college, but has played football since he was six years old.

Lockette said he was at the dentist when he received the call from Seahawks general manager John Schneider that he was being added to the active roster.

Carroll said that linebacker Leroy Hill (stinger) and offensive guard Robert Gallery (hip) are the only injuries of note, but that both are optimistic that they will be ready on Sunday.

1. How long until he has more catches for the season than Mike Williams?

2. ryanryan says:

@pabuwal – not very fair to mike williams, who needs a qb to trust that there will be a smidgen of separation and a lot of body block for him to make the catch…tjack isn’t that kind of qb.

3. Ryanryan: Still waiting for your apology after calling my Seahawks-Eagles pick silly a few weeks ago.

Also, BMW needs to not drop balls that hit him in the hands.

I’m happy for Lockett. It’s always cool to see the realization of a lifelong dream. I have a sense he’ll make the most of his opportunities, too.

Look at E. Take no guff…

5. chuck_easton says:

I like BMW and he was the feel good story of 2010. But alas, he ‘got paid’ and now has forgotten how to catch a cold let alone a football.

This is why I always rile against the ‘pay da man’ people. Name one guy that ‘got paid’ and continued to play at a high level.

Hungry players play, content players with fat wallets are too busy counting the money in their bank accounts.

6. JazBadAzz says:

I asked on another post about his speed and hands but I guess no one knew about the guy, thanks for the info.

7. Walt continued to be the best (actually better b/c he didn’t miss training camps anymore). But, yeah, most don’t; Galloway, Fredd Young, and poster boy for this year – Chris Johnson the joke.

pabs – I usually disagree with your contant ramblings about whatever but I agree with you on BMW.

Albert Haynesworth ring a bell?

9. Walter Jones played even better after he was paid. But Chuck’s right, the Seahawks have been burned by players not playing at the level they did in their contract year. Alexander, Trufant, Tatupu, Locklear and Hasselbeck gave the Seahawks a total of 2 years of high end production after receiving big contracts. And both those years were Hasselbeck (2005, 2007).

Williams was a mirage even last year. Half of his production came in just 3 games last year. One third of his total production came in 2 games against the Cardinals. The Cardinals were dreadful against the pass last year.

Let’s be fair here: this isn’t a phenomenon exclusive to Seattle.

11. If I remember correctly, BMW didn’t exactly have “sure” hands last year, but he had a lot more chances (and, to his credit, did have some great catches, too) last year basically b/c Hasselbeck didn’t have much for any other choices all that often.

12. Are they benching Williams? Seems like we have a surplus of receivers on the active roster.

13. freedom_X says:

I’m glad we don’t have a QB that throws to covered receivers, expecting them to “go get it.” It works about 30% of the time if you have the right players. The rest of the time, you have bad Brett Favre.

Not what Pete Carroll wants in a QB. He’d rather have 5 short plays and 2 incompletions instead of 1 long play, 5 incompletions, and a INT.

This was back in April however I thought it was funny. Lockette saying ” After the workouts) you get massages, but not the nice ones,”Lockette said, “you get the Rambo fist massages, and then you need an ice bath.Lol.

Look at the pic of him! Rip city! If I were coach I would have this guy picking baldwins brain daily!

15. JazBadAzz says:

@freedomX
    If you notice are the league, Brees, Brady, Rodgers, Rothlisberger all throw to covered receivers when only their man can catch it. Which means that they trust those players enough to give them a chance. I don’t see Jackson looking BMW’s way, forget talking about how many balls he drop. He doesn’t drop a lot of balls by the way just the big ones that makes everyone remember it, which is just as bad if not worse.

16. freedom – who could get open last year with any regularity? Who? Really, who? I want to know because maybe you saw something that I didn’t. If you’re a QB and nobody is ever open you’ve got to throw it somewhere. In case you didn’t notice, Rice and Baldwin weren’t on the team yet. Tate was a rookie (still not good this year, but at least improving). Obo was solid here and there but really didn’t get the chances until later in the year, too. For all the speed of Butler, he didn’t get open too much or create separation a whole heck of a lot. Carlson usually wasted away b/c the OL was so pathetic so, seriously, who was there to throw to that was so wide open that forcing the ball to BMW was a bad idea that makes you so happy that we don’t have a QB who will throw to covered guys anymore?

17. And how the heck many people played in the box last year b/c nobody respected our running game? Nobody had to stack the box b/c our running game was NOT respected the way it is now. It didn’t deserve to be (and that’s when people said that Lynch sucked). That means there was an extra man in coverage to cover our WRs who couldn’t get open in the first place. If you didn’t have a QB who would throw it into tight spaces or waited for guys to get wide open we would have taken about 100 sacks last season (and then people would have complained about that).

Now teams are forced to commit another body to stopping Lynch, which means that our better WRs this year have less people trying to stop them.

Why are things sometimes too hard to rationally understand?

18. freedom_X says:

Big difference between throwing the ball where only the receiver can catch it and throwing it into coverage where you’re counting on a receiver to win a jump ball or muscle it out. I’d like to see an offense built around that, that was good for more than 1 year.

In single coverage, it’s almost impossible to defend against a pass with the right placement. The big problem is having the receiver and passer in sync so the ball goes where the receiver is going.

The whole Mike Williams/Sidney Rice business I read about here early in the year was “just throw the jump ball or throw it up for grabs and watch the receivers pull it down.” That’s the Brett Favre/Tony Romo spproach. Boom or bust. Favre made it work enough seasons to become a legend. But it busted on him a lot, too. Others? Not so sure. I am dead certain this is NOT the model QB Carroll wants, and I’d agree completely.

I watch Green Bay this year – Rodgers doesn’t throw passes and hope his man somehow comes up with it. He throws passes to open guys (i.e. a pass where his target has a much better chance to catch it than the DB does.) Which is why he’s only thrown 5 interceptions this season. He doesn’t pitch into coverage and expect the guy to outjump his defender. When they do, it’s just a added bonus. The Green Bay receivers generally aren’t jump-ball or Fitzgerald muscle-the-DB-types, anyway. More speed, quickness, hands, and most importantly, good routes.

Carroll and Schneider have worked hard to build a team where they have more viable offensive options than throw it to a covered receiver. Of that, I am very glad.

19. And Jennings, Finley, Nelson, Driver, etc. aren’t better than guys like BMW with respect to getting separation? If Rodgers would have been the Seahawks QB last year you can’t tell me the WRs would have been that much better at getting separation. Yes, the offense would have been better, no doubt, no way Hasselbeck is in Rodgers class, but I respectfully disagree with some of that. Other aspects, I completely agree.

Even Tom Brady couldn’t put up crazy numbers until he got Welker and Moss in the same off-season (the weird thing is he hasn’t won a SB since). The point is that his offensive weapons were better and I agree with your assessment that now having more viable options is a great thing.

20. You can look at catches all you want and say that BMW has mailed it in……..Try looking at targets…. Mike Williams plays split end. This is the QBs weak side… Simply put:
    1. Tavaris is not comfortable throwing split
    2. Bevell doesn’t utilize the position

Look at where Tavaris targets his passes and you will see that it VERY HEAVILY favors his right/or strong side. The passing offense has been simplified for Tavaris to make quick reads… Right to left/strong to weak.

I have noticed a diminished effort from BMW. Which he needs to suck up be a man and play through…. Although I dont blame the pay. I blame the fact that he has resolved himself to being the last option on offense.

And if you yahoos wanna talk about $$ in relation to DROPPED PASSES… You might want to start looking at the guy on IR getting paid the BIG BUCKS to haul in passes and not drop them…. He’s dropped at LEAST 3 sure touchdown passes this season….

No hate to Sidney because he is ridiculously talented…… Just to put some things into perspective.

21. I still have faith in BMW. You guys want to jump on anybody who has a bad game.. I can only remember one game where he dropped a couple of balls.
    His production would go up if he was actually thrown the ball.

And why the hate for Tate still? Everybody talked about how a WR improves greatly in their 2nd year. He is and still gets ragged on. He’s actually making some plays now and still…

22. ryanryan says:

Eric – you were right, i was wrong…i was hoping you weren’t paying attention.

23. Don’t hate the Tate!