Hawthorne, Gallery sit out Wednesday’s practice

Post by Eric Williams on Dec. 14, 2011 at 4:12 pm with 16 Comments »
December 14, 2011 4:12 pm

The Seahawks practiced without pads outside today for about 90 minutes. Linebacker David Hawthorne (knee), offensive lineman Robert Gallery (hip), defensive end Raheem Brock (calf) and receiver Doug Baldwin (ankle) did not practice.

Cornerback Kennard Cox (hamstring), linebacker Leroy Hill (neck), quarterback Tarvaris Jackson (pectoral) and offensive lineman Jarriel King all were full participants.

The Seahawks added cornerback Coye Francies to the practice squad, the spot opened up when receiver Ricardo Lockette was elevated to the active roster.

The San Jose State product was a sixth round pick by the Cleveland Browns in 2009. He played in six games for the Browns that year, but was cut by Cleveland during training camp in 2010.

Francies was picked up by Las Vegas Locomotives of the UFL in 2010, and later rejoined Cleveland’s practice squad in December and later added to the active roster for two games.

Francies was cut by the Browns during training camp in September. At 6-foot and 180 pounds, Francies fits the profile as a bigger corner that can play press coverage.

For Chicago, linebacker Lance Briggs (non injury related), quarterback Jay Cutler (right thumb), running back Matt Forte (knee), defensive tackle Henry Melton (shin) and Charles Tillman (knee) did not practice.

Offensive guard Edwin Williams (calf) and safety Major Wright (shoulder) were limited.

Notes from practice
  1. JazBadAzz says:

Glad to see Kennard Cox back because we can’t afford to let Hester get any breathing room for returns. Giving the Bears a short field will be a recipe for a fat loss.

I got a feeling that Marion Barber is on a mission to make up for is screw ups last week…Hawthorn and the rest of the guys better make this a double chin strap game. Martz will run the ball and use play action to get chunks down field. We cant fall asleep on the back-end and get knocked off the line upfront.

I’m sure Chris Spencer dying to face his old teammates lol

2. Chris Spencer could never fathom being as good as Unger is now. I’m not saying Unger is Pro Bowl good, but he’s better than Spencer (although that really didn’t take too much). Sure, Spencer did come a long way and definitely improved, but improving from terrible to below average still isn’t what you want in a former #1 draft pick.

Cable is really going to have to work some magic if Gallery is out. Unger would be the last remaining warrior (although Breno is better at this point in his career than Carpenter was at RT, IMO).

I will say that Cable has been terrific in getting these guys to give Lynch some holes. The depth of people fitting his system has been impressive, too. Props to everyone there (GM, comPete, Cable).

Moving forward, we’ve got our rock of stability (Okung) and our glue (Unger) which are great pieces to build around. Too bad Gallery wasn’t better or not healthy all the time. Based on his medical history it was pure foolishness to expect him to play 16 games though. There are other nice pieces, too.

3. Soggybuc says:

I wonder if we’ll see Rockett as gunner Sunday? Having a guy in his face before the ball arrives is one way to slow Hester down.

BobbyK- really? Okung is our rock of stability? How so? When I think of rock I think of Walt or Hutch. Unfortunately Okung is more glass then rock at this stage in his career imo.

5. I’m getting the feeling the there are going to be some deep balls caught on 1st down early in the game with a little play action fake, 8 in the box anticipating Lynch.

The bad thing about the new kickoff rule is that Leon will get less touches.
    The good thing about the new kickoff rule is that Hester will get less touches!

Cox is the best ST cover player on the roster, they absolutely need him Sunday. And Maxwell did a fine job filling in for him Monday night, too. So my guess is that Lockette would not be gunner but I imagine they would use him on kick offs. But we’ll see…

Eric – Where would you say Baldwin’s ankle is? First I’m hearing of this, is there a chance he misses Sunday? Or not terribly severe?

Georgia – On kickoffs, that’s a great point. But sadly, Hester returns punts too… Note to Carroll: kick it away from him, please.

9. He’s a stud and I refuse to call someone injury prone for getting his season ended by a coward who decided to play dirty because he’d been getting his ass kicked by him all game long. If I shoot Trent Cole in the leg (which I wish someone would do) would that make him injury prone, especially after someone did it again after it healed up and now he’d have to miss more time? The frustrating thing was that I think all of us were nervous after the ankle injury in training camp, but then he played great, especially the last few months and then had to have his season ended by a crybaby.

10. JazBadAzz says:

Okung is far from glass, he was over the ankle issues and got hurt on a dirty play by Cole. To me its like getting your grades up and you know your studies, and all of a sudden, boom the school burns down! Now your SOL but its not because its your fault.

11. shoot trent cole?

12. The Bears/Broncos game is reviewed on versus ‘turning point’ this week.
    Good stuff for checking out the Bears D.

13. SandpointHawk says:

BobbyK, don’t hurt Trent Cole yet, that would get you thrown in jail for sure. However if we can get you signed for one game and then you did your deed, it would only get you a $7500 fine….

14. I mean me in any seriousness. But I wouldn’t care if someone else did.

15. I *didn’t* mean me in any seriousness.