Morning links: Bargain hunters

Post by Eric Williams on Dec. 11, 2011 at 9:19 am with 44 Comments »
December 11, 2011 9:21 am
Seattle Seahawks' Kam Chancellor in action against the Kansas City Chiefs in the second half of an NFL football game, Sunday, Nov. 28, 2010, in Seattle. (AP Photo/Elaine Thompson)

Dave Boling of The News Tribune points out some bargains that the Seattle Seahawks benefited from having on the roster this season, including undrafted rookie free agent receiver Doug Baldwin ($375,000 in base salary this season), second-year safety Kam Chancellor ($450,000) and cornerback Brandon Browner ($375,000).

Now the Seahawks will have to make some tough decision in negotiations with key players at the end of their deals like running back Marshawn Lynch, defensive end Red Bryant and linebacker David Hawthorne.

Boling: “Through act or statement, Carroll and general manager John Schneider have laid out their blueprint: build through the draft, meet specific immediate needs with free-agents (young, if possible), and manufacture depth by finding/developing cheap talent through transactions or lower-round acquisitions.

They’ve done so well finding bargains, in fact, they should be in position to keep the core of cornerstone players. Lynch was an inspired pickup from Buffalo. He deserves consideration as at least a top-10 back, while his base of $1.14 million this season is somewhere in the neighborhood of 30th for backs.

Danny O’Neil of the Seattle Times writes that Carolina running back DeAngelo Williams five-year, $43 million deal with the Panthers could be a sticking point in negotiations between Lynch and the Seahawks, because the Cal product has similar numbers on the field

ESPN’s Mike Sando gives us five things to look for in Monday’s contest between Seattle and St. Louis.

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com writes that despite the fact he has only one interception on the year, second-year safety Earl Thomas is playing better.

Dan Pompei of the National Football Post discusses how Matt Hasselbeck immediately assumed a leadership role and helped Tennessee develop into an AFC playoff contender. And he also looks at defensive end prospects in next year’s draft.

Chuck Kosterman of Grantland discusses the interesting dichotomy that Tim Tebow presents.

T.J. Simers of the Los Angeles Times likes Jim Mora as a coach, but doesn’t like his chances in turning around UCLA’s football program.

Morning links
  1. HawkfaninMT says:

A few thoughts:

Love the UCLA signing! Means Cable will not be leaving for that job!

Regarding the Boling article… I am really liking Giacomini at RT. I would not be the least bit surprised to see Carp moved to LG att this point. He mentions the blueprint of JS/PC ad I gotta agree that I love it. Build through the draft. Fill holes with young hungry free agents, re-sign your core players.

Regarding Lynch… Love him, but not for D-Will money. Granted he has been playing great, but RBs can be found for cheaper. Jonathan Stewart would be cheaper and younger than that. Also would not mind letting Forsett walk, relegate Washington to PR/KR strictly and spend our 3rd round pick on LeMichael James.

Finally, Go Cowboys, Broncos, and Vikings!

2. HawkfaninMT says:

Washington may be forced to turn to Tyler Polumbus at right tackle, with Sean Locklear on the left side.

Per RotoWorld

YIKES for them!

3. The Seahawks OL situation is even worse, talent wise.

4. SandpointHawk says:

Speaking as a graduate of UCLA I must state I hate the Mora signing. Just because I gave up hope in their program years ago doesn’t mean I’m not a fan still….

pab – Even worse than what? Washington? I’ll take Seattle’s patchwork line over the ‘Skins right now, in a heart beat.

6. With or without Cable?

I see, hypotheticals. Thought you were referring to their respective situations here and now.

8. I said talent wise in my original statement. I am referring only to the talent level itself.

9. pabuwal,

I don’t consider Cable the “talent” in the equation. Don’t try to weasel out of your statement.

Basically, you said you would trade our o-line for Washington’s, and that’s just insane. We are not in worse shape than them, in any way. Do you remember the results of our line when we started Polumbus and Locklear?

We have a good young o-line with some depth. Lots to be excited about there. Ask Marshawn Lynch.

10. Carson – you can’t read so I will no longer respond to you.

11. pabuwal, I started writing that before you replied to Duke. I see now that you weren’t trying to weasel out of your original statement. That’s good and bad. It’s good that you are a man of character, but it’s bad that you have no ability to recognize a good thing when you see it.

12. Carson – no problem.

I’ve been a supporter of Breno since week 1, but I feel the OL results exceed the actual talent.

With Okung gone, is there anyone you would consider above average on the OL? I think Cable could have coached up last year’s OL pretty well also.

13. There are a few basic types of Seahawks fans out there. Let’s run through them real quick.

___

The hardcore – up to date on every transaction, knows the backups, recognizes talent even if it’s unrefined.

The formal fan – loves the hawks, watches every game, couldn’t tell you who the starting RG is.

The casual fan – watch the games if they remember, probably own a sweatshirt or a hat.

The lightweight – “wait, so Hasselback plays for someone else? Do we always have lime green on our jersey’s?”

The local hater – hate the team, hate the coach, hate the players. Cling to the past, have been beaten down Seattle sports fans for too long, forever pessimistic. They claim to still be fans, but live in fear of their own commitment to something that will hurt too much if it doesn’t work out.. again..

___

These are the major groups of fans, and there are definitely branches extending from each one. A casual fan may watch all the games and buy a bumper sticker, inching himself closer to the formal category, etc.

But there is one sub-column of fan that really bewilders me. It is hybrid of two of the major categories – the hardcore hater.

The hardcore hater is a guy who knows the team inside and out, is aware of the moves they have made, has seen the evidence, understands the little things – and continues to hate. It makes for a confusing and conflicted man. A man afraid to commit but it’s too late. He knows too much. He can’t stop consuming Seahawks football, and he hates every minute of it. He’s scared to be hurt, refuses to get his hopes up.

I feel bad for this type of fan. It’s important we enjoy the ride, regardless of where it takes us.

Pab – You are still speaking about hypothetical situations (and when you say something definitive like “talent-wise” then include the a variable like a coach that may or may not be there, that’s hypothetical). That’s not anything that interests me with due respect, so I’ll excuse myself from this thread and leave it to you and Carson.

Carson – Have you noticed how the so-defined “hardcore hater” that was posting earlier in the season has shown themselves less and less the past month or so. Typical, wouldn’t you say?

15. Duke – you do realize he was referring to me, don’t you?

16. pabs forgot about the 2008 offensive line after Walt got hurt on Thanksgiving. Or the 2009 line.

Max Unger is above average. He’s not among the elites at his position by any means, but he’s definitely above average.

17. Bobbyk – what do you think about Joe Webb? Do you think is better than Ponder? Joe Webb has intrigued me ever since that win against the hated Eagles last year. I think the Vikings would have won today had he started the game.

18. Pabuwal, I wasnt necessarily placing you in that category. I don’t know you well enough and regardless it’s not my place to label you.

I think Unger, Okung, Carpenter and Moffitt all have the ability to be well above average. Giacomini and McQuistan have the ability to be at or equal to league average, which is equally as important for depth.

19. pabs – No. I don’t think Webb is better than Ponder. He is an interesting prospect, but I like what I’ve seen from Ponder. I think he’s legit. I think Webb should have started today simply because Ponder was hurt. I can’t believe they would be that stupid to start a clearly injured rookie and their QB for the next decade in a meaningless regular season game in a lost season. Typical moronic Vikings.

Webb looked extremely raw (and bad) last year except in that Eagles game. He was lights out in that particular game. Better than lights out, actually. But then that following Sunday after the Eagles game he went back to looking lost a lot of the time (which in his defense, was to be expected). I’d personally take Webb over anyone we’ve got though.

20. *Two Sundays later (as I think the Eagles game was a Thursday).

21. It was a Tuesday night game.

22. Yeah… Something goofy like that.

23. The Packers are winning 24-0 in the Black Hole early in the 2nd quarter. I wonder if Flynn will get some playing time in the 2nd half if they are up by 40 (which they probably will be at this rate).

Well, Tebow’s got the ball in his hands with a chance to win the game. If he pulls this one out…

What the hell! Tebow? Bears are going down!

He put them in a position to get to tie. The Bears better hope Tebow doesn’t get the ball in his hands in OT.

Also, a Bear loss would be nice for Seattle…

Holy sh*t, Denver pulls it out. Tim F’ing Tebow. He’s amazing. lol

How about Arizona? This playoff race may go down to the last game.

30. I think the Lions could lose out from here.

I agree pabuwal.

32. The Raiders are in free fall mode and I don’t see how the Lions can lose to them next week (getting a rested Suh back, too).

The Lions were lucky to win at home against the hapless Vikings without Peterson. The Raiders were embarrassed today by the packer Machine. The Raiders are still in the playoff hunt and will be ready for the overrated undisciplined Lions imo.

34. No team in the NFL today is as undisciplined as the Raiders. They lead the NFL in penalties for a reason. I agree that the Raiders could win, it’s just that if I was a betting man and had $100 to throw on the game straight up that I’d put my lute on the Lions.

I would bet on the Lions too if they were playing this game at home.

36. Since we still don’t have a “real” QB to go toe-to-toe with a guy like Rodgers or Brees in our conference, my overall hopes are held in check for the moment. Knowing we need a QB, this was a good read (even if we’re most likely not going get him).

If the Bargain Hunters keep on getting the late round, undrafted free agents, and free agent bargains than why not offer the Colts 3-4 first round picks for Luck? Half our 1st rounders end up either being busts or injured anyways.

38. I agree Georgia. I would definitely trade three 1st round picks for Luck. The way comPete and the Duke Boy have improved the talent on this team, it’s not like we’re going to ever have a pick high enough in the 1st round to get an Okung (#6) or an ET (#14) if we get a real QB to be added to the wealth of talent on this team (minus another pass rusher). You throw Luck on our team and we’ll hardly ever draft before the twenties anytime soon, IMO. Plus, wouldn’t it be fun to stick it to Harbaugh in him having to gameplan against his former QB? Luck to Baldwin for a TD and Sherman picking off an Alex Smith pass would be fun! Besides, trading three #1 picks is really like only trading two #1 picks b/c we would have had to use one of those 1st round picks on a lesser QB than Luck. Maybe it would take more to get Luck, but I’d certainly be willing to pay a hefty price to get him. comPete even said last year (I think it was when they were knocking on the Eagles door about Kolb) that he would pull off a trade in which he’d have to trade definite draft capital if it meant getting a good QB. I don’t remember where I saw that, but definitely remember reading it.

If we are ever going to compete with the Packers, Stealers, and Patriots of the world we will need more than just a game managing qb.

My hope is that Manning makes a full recovery, And I believe he could play right now if the Colts were in the hunt. Remember earlier in the year a few weeks after his surgery when Manning said he felt good and hoped to be on the field soon? You think the FO had a little talk with Manning? I do!
    The Colts new that by sitting Manning the rest of the year they could get Luck and command several 1st rounders. Smart move on their part!

My hope is that they do shop Luck around and that would almost automatically eliminate all teams from the AFC.
    And yes I would just love for Carroll to stick it to Harbaugh!

I’d put the over / under on penalties for that Raider / Lion game at 20. It will be an ugly afternoon.