Morning links: Lem next man in line

Post by Eric Williams on Dec. 8, 2011 at 6:43 am with 11 Comments »
December 8, 2011 6:43 am

Seattle Seahawks offensive lineman Lemuel Jeanpierre talks with offensive line coach  Tom Cable. (AP Photo/Elaine Thompson)

In my story today, second-year pro Lemuel Jeanpierre is an example of the Seattle Seahawks improved depth along the offensive line.

Last season, the Seahawks had 10 different starting offensive line combinations, and used a mishmash of veteran journeyman like Chester Pitts, Stacy Andrews and Tyler Polumbus to plug holes up front.

But this year, with Seattle losing three of their five starters up front, the Seahawks have relied on improved depth with younger players like Breno Giacomini and Jeanpierre filling the void.

“As a football player you just want to compete, you just want to get out there and play,” Jeanpierre said. “I want to get out there and just do anything I can to help the team. I’m very proud and happy that they have the faith in me to go in there and step in. I just have to go out there and work my butt off to prove them right.”

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com profiles veteran linebacker Leroy Hill, who has stepped up to fill the leadership void left by the departure of Lofa Tatupu and Lawyer Milloy.

More Farnsworth: He previews Seattle’s upcoming game against St. Louis.

Rod Mar of Seahawks.com offers photos from last week’s Philadelphia game.

Gary Horton of Scouts Inc. previews Seattle’s upcoming contest against St. Louis, giving the Seahawks the edge in every category and predicting a 27-10 Seattle victory. You must be an ESPN Insider to view this.

Brian Burke of the New York Times Fifth Down blog gives Seattle a 63 percent win chance.

Gil Brandt of NFL.com writes that Seattle can play the role of spoiler down the stretch.

Michael Lombardi of NFL.com writes that Tim Tebow and Cam Newton are proving the spread option can work in the league.

Kathleen Nelson of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch writes with uncertainty at quarterback because of injuries to Sam Bradford (ankle) and A. J. Feeley (thumb) the Rams have signed Kellen Clemons to the active roster.

Morning links
  1. I thought he did a great job filling in, when he came in for Moffit, and I was sort of disappointed when I found out McQuistan was starting in his place, if he does well, I could see him taking over for Gallery at some point, I assume the difference between the two guard positions isn’t that big.

I’m excited to see him get some extended time. The little he has played, I’ve been impressed. I can only hope the injury bug has finished biting the o line for the season.

3. bird_spit says:

Nate Ness released by Rams?

1) I liked watching Nate Ness, 2nd year guy with what 7 games total.
    2) Why would the Rams, with their secondary is shambles, release a young DB with upside potential? Oh wait its all about Luck?
    3) Should Seattle sniff the wire on this one?

4. RDPoulsbo says:

I believe even PC admits Lem is a better player than McQuistan. The problem is he’s also Unger’s backup. The depth is already thin right now. Hopefully they stay healthy and they won’t have to worry about finding another center.

5. RDPoulsbo says:

I don’t really see a need for Ness. If he can’t work out for a team willing to sign any DB with a pulse, it’s not likely he’s going to push Cox or Maxwell off the roster.

They have too many problems to be going after Luck, especially when they already have a good QB in Bradford. As the team that gives up more sacks than any other in the league, you can take it to the bank that Matt Kalil is at the top of their draft board.

6. Think RGIII,Robert Griffin III please be next Hawk`s QB

Looks like the Rams may have to find another player to put at the top of their draft board.

They could do a hell of a lot worse, IMO. Wish he were a sr. so we could watch him all week in practice during the Sr. Bowl.

9. JazBadAzz says:

Once the good young talent is on display, other teams will go after them soon as they can. There goes our depth, and we obviously need them because our very promising starters don’t stay healthy long enough to know if we should pay back=ups good money or cut bait…

10. Kalil would be a great Ram (he’ll be good wherever he goes). He and Staffold (when he gets healthy again) would make great bookends for Bradford and then they could dump Jason Smith (who is a bigger bust than Aaron Curry, as he’s equally as worthless on the field but was taken two picks before Curry).

If I were the Rams, I’d take 2 OL and 1 skill position offensive player in the first 3 rounds. It makes no sense to have a QB like Bradford playing with, mostly, losers. Besides, it takes offensive players longer to develop, on average, and it’s not like the Rams are going to the play-offs next year with their terrible “talent.” They may have some nice pieces, but the depth (which is force to play now with so many injuries) is pathetic.

11. “with uncertainty at quarterback because of injuries to Sam Bradford and A. J. Feeley, the Rams have signed deceased saxophone player Clarence Clemons to the active roster.”