Morning links: A healthy Jackson?

Post by Eric Williams on Dec. 6, 2011 at 8:58 am with 32 Comments »
December 6, 2011 8:58 am
Seattle Seahawks quarterback Tarvaris Jackson. (AP Photo/Elaine Thompson)

In my story today, Seattle Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll remarked at how much better quarterback Tarvaris Jackson look in practice the week leading up to the team’s 31-14 win over Philadelphia.

And Jackson proved in his play, finishing 13 of 16 for 190 yards and an 11-yard touchdown to Golden Tate. Jackson finished with a season-high 137.0 passer rating.

While not fully recovered from a strained pectoral muscle he suffered in a Week 5 win over the New York Giants, it’s the best he’s thrown since then.

“It kind of surprised me,” Jackson said. “Earlier in the week I thought it was just (adrenaline) still in my system on Monday, but Tuesday came and it still felt good. On Wednesday it still felt pretty good
“The coaches were a little surprised that I was throwing during the week, but it’s a feel – if it feels good I’m going to go out there and practice. They were surprised that it came this week on a short week, but it came and we were able to get out there and practice and get all of the looks in. That was good for us.”

Pete Prisco of CBS Sports gives the Seahawks an A-minus for their effort against Philadelphia last week.

Danny O’Neil of the Seattle Times writes that Bill Leavy will officiate a game in Seattle for the first time since the questionable calls in the Super Bowl against the Seahawks six years ago. Leavy was the lead official in Seattle’s 9-6 loss to Cleveland, which of course had the awful call on Kennard Cox’s phantom block in the back that negated an 84-yard punt return by Leon Washington.

ESPN’s Mike Sando writes that the Seahawks will benefit from injuries to key players in facing St. Louis and Chicago in the next two weeks.

Dave Wyman of ESPN 710 Seattle writes that the Seahawks need to find a way to make sure offensive line coach Tom Cable sticks around.

Brock Huard of ESPN 710 Seattle believes the Seahawks should be more concerned about winning, not draft order.

Scott Johnson of the Everett Herald continues his Game of my Life series with a profile on former Seahawks kicker Norm Johnson.

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com takes a look at what worked and what didn’t work for the Seahawks in their win over the Eagles last week.

Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch writes that with Sam Bradord (high ankle sprain) and A.J. Feeley (fractured right thumb) injured, the Rams could start Tom Brandstater at quarterback.

Morning links
  1. I know I’m in the minority here, but I still like Jackson a lot, and I think he could be a capable starter in the NFL, we probably won’t win a super bowl with the guy, but as I see it, we are still a few years, and a lot of depth, away from being able to reach one of those, so I wouldn’t mind him sticking around for a good while, even if we draft a rookie this spring, I would hope Jackson started for another season or so, whilst he matured, especially if we go get Robert Griffin, like I hope we will.

2. bird_spit says:

I’m hoping Tenn cans Hass after this season, Hass comes back to the hawks with his Tenn money, and mentors the new kid. Jackson can be the backup for the 2012 season. (all of this in my perfect world) I’m concerned we don’t have a coach or quality mentor on the team that can help bring up a rookie.

3. bird_spit says:

reposting this:

Brock has been one of the disappointments this season. Maybe in Seattle you need to work harder to get special treatment, Brock.

4. JacDG: I agree with you I like him also.I don’t understand why we need to draft a young QB .We have Portis sitting in the wing.Why would a young QB be better?

5. bigsmooth says:

A little early to claim Portis is our QB of the future I think. We saw him take, what, 20 snaps this pre-season. Come on.

6. Good Stuff by Dave Wyman. Thanks for posting that Eric. We need to keep Tom Cable.

7. Drafting a pass-rushing DE or DT will get the Seahawks to the Super Bowl faster than drafting a QB, in my opinion. Not that I don’t want them to draft a QB — I just don’t want them to sell the farm to do it (unless it’s Luck or Barkley). I’ll be perfectly happy giving Matt Flynn a chance, as long as they still have TJ as insurance and Flynn doesn’t command too much money.

I hope the Seahawks don’t look past the Rams. “Any given Sunday” is what did them in against the Redskins (who have lost seven of the last eight games and should have lost eight straight).

8. Chicago needs a QB How about trading Charlie?

how about bringing Lofa back all healthy next year while we’re at it. Don’t think he signed anywhere this year

9. I don’t think it’s realistic to think that anybody would want to trade anything for Charlie.. They’d take a chance with Terry Bradshaw before giving it to Whitehurst.

10. How can we trade Charlie when it’s past the trading deadline and he’s set to become a free agent after the season?

11. TJ has his good and bad, but I think we’ve all come to respect the guy this year. If he doesn’t miss that Cleveland game, I’m confident that we’re 6-6, which is nothing to be ashamed of at this point in our re-build.

I still want to draft a QB next year though. Not yet willing to settle if we don’t have to.

And btw, still pissed about Okung every time I think of it.

Wiat, you mean the increased practice time over the weeks didn’t mean Jackson was more injured? But that’s what I kept reading here… In all seriousness, I’m glad he’s healthier. They need him to play at a capable level down the stretch in order to finish strong.

Tha said, IMO, Seattle has to draft (I suppose sign a young FA…) next season. That position has to get solidified ASAP for the long haul. And sadly Jackson doesn’t strike me as that guy, at all (his toughness and leadership not withstanding.)

13. I thought practicing more meant he was getting worse, too. lol

14. jchawks08 says:

LOFL! Yea, let’s bring back Tatupu next year. And Portis? Heck yea, let’s have him enter 2012 as our starter. I think we should bring back Darrel Jackson and Koren Robinson too. Wonder if Shawn Springs is still in playing shape. Peeps on this forum crack me up.

15. HawkfaninMT says:

Still not getting the love thrown Flynn’s way. i will grant you Schuab, but it seems like lately most 2nd string QBs are wilting when given the shot to start. Kolb and Hanie are the latest examples of this. Sure you can point to several high round picks @ QB that have failed too, but I am just not feeling the path of signing Flynn then drafting elsewhere.

My dream scenario as it stands with our record now would be to sign a pass rusher with the unique Elephant skill set (ala Chris Clemmons) and draft RG3 in the early teens. Sign up Norv Turner to mentor the young QB (I know EW said this was unlikely) and lock the QB, Norv, and T-Jack in a room together for 3 months.

16. HawkfaninMT says:

Okung to IR, Re-signed Mike Gibson… This OL is getting messy!

17. I agree, pd.

Tarvaris is really quite a story. We are lucky to have him, and I think he’s outperformed everyone’s expectations by now. Especially his toughness and leadership. Its impressive that he’s healing, maybe I was wrong about wanting him on IR to heal.

I also think Tarvaris will continue becoming a better QB over the next few years – now that he has a coach who believes in him and a system the suits is abilities. He’s still playing hurt and there is no reason to think we’ve seen him at his best yet. Tarvaris at 30 might be better than we know.
    Rich Gannon, played 6 years with the Vikings and was called a bust. He played in 4 pro bowls and a super bowl in his mid-30s.
    Vinny Testeverde, had a miserable start to his career for 5 years in Tampa, bounced around as a backup, and then went on to 2 pro bowls in his mid 30s.

Even so, we still NEED to draft a QB. Every team needs TWO QBs capable of starting. I want a younger player to develop alongside Tarvaris, and ideally I’d love to see Tarvaris as our Backup-of-the-Future.

But I wouldn’t put it past TJack to keep improving and outcompete just about anybody we draft. He’s a true underdog and I can’t help but root for a guy like him

18. Trent Williams is a dope.

19. This really, really, really, really, really, really sucks!

20. SandpointHawk says:

Crap that does suck, never would have thought that about Moffitt….

21. Audible says:

BobbyK, really?

Actually, who really gives a shi#? He’s not going to miss games during his suspension.

I wonder if Vai was suspended for the same reason.

22. The thing about Tarvaris is, as Stevos said, that he has an organization that believes in him now, which was one of my points when we signed him, that could mean the world. He has all the physical skills, and most of the mental skills you need to be a great QB, he’s tough, big arm, able to move and throw on the run, a leader and seems to be an all around good guy, but his decision making is not great. Now, will a healthier environment be able to fix that, could be an interesting question. In theory, maybe he wasn’t able to develop while in Minnesota because of the circumstances, some might say that if he hasn’t improved that much until now, he never will, but a completely different environment, coaching staff, team, city etc. MIGHT change that, which is what I hoped for, the chances aren’t great, but I’ll never count a competitor out. Even if he doesn’t become a solid top 16 QB, he could still manage games for us, which wouldn’t be an issue for me if the running game and defense continues to improve.

About Moffit, I never would have thought that about him ether, pretty surprised to say the least.

23. “Trent Williams is a dope.”

Every time PFT had a post about Okung’s injuries, Redskins fans were quick to chime in that they were glad their team drafted Williams, not Okung. Well, how do you like him now?

Regarding TJ, if he plays well in the last four games, the Seahawks should offer him a contract extension at the same rate. He may not be the quarterback of the future, but as Stevos says, it doesn’t hurt to have some depth at the position.

24. SeahawkFan12 says:

Regarding Moffitt, “This really, really, really, really, really, really sucks!” …sorry, Bobby, not seeing the big deal. Not that I condone substance abuse, nor would I want that hanging over any of our guys’ heads, but he won’t miss any games for probably breaking a stupid substance rule, like an undisclosed ingredient in one of his rehab drugs/supplements. Enlighten me if I’m off base.

25. bird_spit says:

Was it smoking weed? The league was suppose to come out with a list this week. I wonder if the classify weed as performance enhancing…like really wow dude.

26. yakimahawk says:

“Moffitt’s agent, Michael George, said that Moffitt’s suspension was because of his use of a prescription drug used to treat hyperactivity. George said that Adderall — the drug that Moffitt used — is banned under the league’s policy on performance-enhancing substances, unless a player has pre-approval from the league. Moffitt lacked that league approval, resulting in the suspension.”

Guys I would not really call this performance enhancing..It’s a medical issue and it is usually the agents job to disclose the meds to the NFL..Not Moffitt’s

27. I don’t mean to be cynical, but should we really be surprised when athletes fail drug tests? I have a hard time not assuming that most these incredibly strong, lightning-fast athletes aren’t on every kind of performance-enhancing substance they can find. I still think their success is 95% discipline and talent, but I feel like we’re being naive if we don’t realize that modern pharmacology plays a role in all pro sports these days.

28. Nobody thinks this sucks that if something like this were to happen again that he’s going to get a longer suspension?

And people don’t care that he’s not allowed at the facility to rehab while he’s serving his suspension? I would think it’s better for him to be with the Seahawks medical people in his rehab so he can be ready for off-season workouts as soon as possible.

29. Stevos – this isn’t the first time you’ve talked about Jackson turning into a Gannon. That’s a fine/legit analysis. But why is it okay for Jackson to become the next Gannon and Kevin Kolb, who you repeatedly bash (in part, due to the contract and what they gave up), to be, deemed by you, to truly suck and not the long term answer in Arizona when he’s had half the starts Jackson has had during his career and is younger?

30. Ha, Okay Bobby, I might be guilty as charged. But I don’t think I ever said Kolb “truly sucks”, I think I just said the Cardinals were stupid to pay him so much and that I’d rather have TJack.

But if I dissed Kolb unfairly it is mostly because he plays for the Cardinals now and I hate the Cardinals, you get that, right? And I’ve also congratulated Schneider and Carroll for being too smart to sign Kolb and pay him all that money and for getting a far better deal on TJack.

To be fair to Kolb, none of know yet if Kolb might turn out to be a very good QB eventually. Could happen.

But to answer your other question Bobby, the reason I think its fair to start talking about TJack possibly being one of those slow-to-develop QBs who gets better throughout his career is because now, in his sixth season, he still appears to be improving and learning the types of things other good QBs learned earlier in their careers.

31. Hopefully now that he can throw without much pain he can still continue to improve. You try tearing your Pec and throwing a football.
    Eric, Did Tjack throw more accurately in practice with his injury than CW healthy?

32. SeahawkFan12 says:

Seems like there are (quite) a few posters here that could use a dose of Adderall.