Moffitt suspended 4 games for violating league’s drug policy; Paul McQuistan slides over to left tackle

Post by Eric Williams on Dec. 6, 2011 at 5:18 pm with 46 Comments »
December 6, 2011 5:19 pm

It was a newsy day here at the Seattle Seahawks team headquarters this afternoon.

At the top of list is Seahawks rookie offensive guard John Moffitt has been suspended for four games without pay for violating the league’s policy on performance enhancing substances.

Moffitt’s suspension begins immediately. Per league policy, players on injured reserve who are suspended under the drug, steroid or personal conduct policies serve those suspensions while they are on injured reserve.

Because Moffitt is on the injured reserve, essentially he’s just being docked four weeks pay.

“The league’s doing their work and I can’t say anything about it,” Seattle head coach Pete Carroll said about Moffitt’s suspension.

The Seahawks also made some roster moves, placing offensive tackle Russell Okung on the season-ending injured reserve list and bringing back Mike Gibson.

Carroll said that Paul McQuistan will move to left tackle and Lemuel Jeanpierre will play right guard.

This will be Seattle’s sixth different starting offensive line combination this season. The projected starting five to begin the season of Okung at left tackle, Robert Gallery at left guard, Max Unger at center, John Moffitt at right guard and James Carpenter at right tackle only played a total of four games together this season.

“We’re pretty much headed in that direction,” Carroll said. “Hopefully it’ll work out fine. Paul is not unfamiliar with playing tackle, so that helps and Lem has played a little bit for us.

“The fact that these guys have been with us and we don’t have to go outside the organization and the system to get guys means we’re very fortunate.”

McQuistan said he played some left tackle in 2008 while with Oakland.

The Seahawks also filled two vacant spots on the practice squad by adding running back Jay Finley and defensive end Keith Darbut.

Finley is a Baylor product who attended Corrsicana High in Texas, the same high school David Hawthorne attended. At 5-11, 205 pounds, Finley was one of the final roster cuts for Cincinnati during training camp.

Darbut is a graduate of Division III Baldwin-Wallace, where he posted 10.5 sacks and 15 tackles for loss during his senior season. At 6-4, 230 pounds, Darbut worked at Leo as a pass rusher during practice today. Darbut ran a 4.38 40-yard dash during his pro day.

Darbut went to training camp with Cincinnati but was released.

Tarvaris Jackson again looked good in practice throwing the ball today.

“He looked totally different today,” Carroll said. “The signs have just been coming in the last week or so that things are different for him and today he looked like normal.”

Notes from practice
  1. yakimahawk says:

Re-Post from last thread in case you did not get it..

“Moffitt’s agent, Michael George, said that Moffitt’s suspension was because of his use of a prescription drug used to treat hyperactivity. George said that Adderall — the drug that Moffitt used — is banned under the league’s policy on performance-enhancing substances, unless a player has pre-approval from the league. Moffitt lacked that league approval, resulting in the suspension.”

Guys I would not really call this performance enhancing..It’s a medical issue and it is usually the agents job to disclose the meds to the NFL..Not Moffitt’s

2. adderall is the exact same thing as anabolic steroids. shun him and every other player around him from the league immediately.

3. HawksKD says:

As the Seahawks world churns. Another spoke has fallen off the disciplinary wheel…

What do you want Hawks fans?

A disciplined methodical machine

Or

A Nasty, ball busting team, that will lie, cheat, steal, slap your mother in the face to get a win type…

Honestly it’s a toss up for me.

4. did you even read it? moffitt didn’t cheat, he was taking a drug for ADD…

5. yakimahawk says:

RADEoN
    please do your research before making a remark like that..Adderal is a brain steroid that has not proven to build muscle. Anabolic steroids build the muscle..in can enhance energy but so does 3 shots of espresso. You can go to the AMA website and do your own research. But in all seriousness if he had taken it for years the agent should have disclosed it!

6. DFloydd says:

7. yakimahawk says:

DFloydd
    “I don’t know what to think about Moffitt. All I do know is if you don’t have ADD then Adderall is basically government regulated speed….but if you truly are ADD then it will level you out so you don’t have the giant ups and downs of energy that ADD creates. (in my experience) ”

Correct..But it is NOT an anabolic steroid

8. Soggybuc says:

Darbut may be a project and needs a bit of bulk at 230# but if runs 4.38 that, s pretty darn impressive,

9. I have a hard time with the idea that Robert Gallery, at 6’7″, huge contract, played OT in college, isn’t a better choice at LT than Paul McQuistan. I understand the McQuistan is big and versatile, but the LT should be the best O linemen on the team. I’ll trust Cable to make the best choice, but I’ll have to see it to believe it.

10. yakimahawk, please do your research before trying to prove me wrong.

What is Adderall?

Adderall, approved by the FDA for ADHD in 1996, is a mixture of four different amphetamine salts – Dextroamphetamine Saccharate, Amphetamine Aspartate, Dextroamphetamine Sulfate, and Amphetamine Sulfate – that is used to treat Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD).

so… yeah… thanks expert.

11. and if you’re referencing “adderall is the exact same thing as anabolic steroids. shun him and every other player around him from the league immediately.”

then you may want to be checked for mental retardation. that was so blatantly sarcastic i’m not sure how you didn’t catch it.

12. jcalexander says:

I would think the league would be solidly in favor of managing ADD…imagine if hyperactive players started running into each other, blocking and tackling each other – Heaven forbid!

RADEoN – In fairness, it really wasn’t until your later posts that it became clear you were being sarcastic. (At least count me in on those who didn’t catch it initally.)

Well, I’m gald that it’s not steroids. But surprised he and or agent didn’t make this known to the league. A very detailed list is given to the players, and one would have to presume that if you’re taking a prescription, you’d clear it with the league.

14. “shun him and every other player around him from the league immediately.”

Do you see where I would have found any logic behind banning pretty much offensive player from the NFL because he took some Adderall?

15. bird_spit says:

Next it will be skittles..

16. elkhorn says:

I noticed the sarcasm, but I speak it fluently.

17. HawksKD says:

Jesus ……..I was using it as a Segway into an actual question that I had for you guys. I understand hawks are having an up and down year but stabilize your emotions people.

18. HawksKD says:

Btw why is RadeON and Yakimahawk arguing…

You both are making the same point “Adderal is not an anabolic steroid” You guys are yelling at each other but your on the same side of the river…

Regardless Adderal can be typified as performance enhancing, (btw) just not in your general notion that football players typically use PEDs for…

So guess what.. Everyone wins…

19. Archie Manning says that Peyton and Andrew Luck wouldn’t want to be on the same team, which means that Peyton will probably be playing somewhere else next season. Would you trade for him? If he passes a physical, I’d give up a second-rounder in a heartbeat.

Peyton + Lynch + good defense = Super Bowl

20. “According to the Associated Press, Moffitt’s agent Michael George said that his client was suspended for taking a drug used to treat hyperactivity, and that Moffitt did not pre-clear taking the drug with the league.”

If true, the NFL should be ashamed of themselves. What BS.

21. Canfan, I would agree it is starting to seem likely the Colts will have A. Luck next year and if Peyton can play he will demand to start, so he’ll be elsewhere.

I don’t see Schneider and Carroll having any interest in an old expensive QB for their team, even Peyton. But someone will want him and it will be interesting.

HawksKD – That was not lost on me, lol. Great point. (Although performance enhancing for some as a stimulant, maybe. A known side-effect is weight loss, so perhaps not so for an offensive lineman. And that’s beyond the “balancing” effect it has on those diagnosed with ADD.) Regardless…

RADEoN – Obviously not initially. But then, I’m no elkhorn.

Speaking of which; where the hell has Elk been? And this isn’t even a game chat… (Although I haven’t been on one all season so maybe you’ve been around.) Either way, good to see you.

Oh, and BTW: how the hell does old man Manning know what A. Luck is thinking about anything?

Sorry, last thing: If Moffitt didn’t clear the prescription drug he was taking with the league (and apparently he didn’t) that’s on him, not the league. Players (especially rookies) are made well aware they need to clear everything (EVERYTHING) with the league that they are ingesting. This is on his agent, at the very least. (Presuming this Adderal rumor is true. I haven’t seen this as official from the league yet. But I presuming it’s true..)

23. HawksKD says:

Let me ask this: If it was something so easy as being reported to the league…why wasn’t this easy task done. NFL players have access to ALL kinds of advisors and programs to prepare themselves in the professional level. More so than any other sport… If a true mistake why not let it slide instead of enacting an ineffective suspension unless they are trying to send a clear message to Moffitt.

In my experience, adderal is one of the most widely misused and abused drug of the past 10 years….

Just sayin……..

24. ZombieLatics says:

But the real question is…is he a good guy? And any mayroon that believes an agent excuse for a failed test should just, just, I don’t know, let me sell you a shoe for a grand since it’s been appraised for that much by my sister.

25. williambryan says:

I’ve been around a lot of football players, high school mostly, and there are plenty of kids who use adderall as a performance enhancing drug. They get it and use it and they’re not using it for adhd.

If the Colts are dumb enough to trade Manning away because of Luck then they should at least look at how Luck got his hype! Stanford, great O-line to protect Luck. Good receivers and good defense!

Luck has never been challenged at the collegiate level. Put him through two years of what Locker had to deal with and then see how Luck turns out!

27. pabuwal says:

Are you calling Luck a game manager?

28. HawksOrFan says:

Luck was challenged 2 times by the Oregon Ducks…
    How did he do in those games?

29. Soggybuc says:

Luck is far better than a game manager but Georgia makes a great point on how Stanford is much more than Andrew Luck and is a complete team in all the facets. did Luck make Doug Baldwin look good? I think it’s a proven now that DB was a legit NFL talent and they both made Stanford look good!

Postulate me this, If Andrew Luck was QB’ing the Rams this year would they be a lock for a playoff spot?

30. Sarcasticus says:

I am not sure which is funnier, people who cannot recognize sarcasm or the bumbling idiots that post without even reading the articles.

Either way, I blame VMAC and the trainers for all errors on this forum.

31. i’d just like to add this:

Were you listening to The Dude’s story, Donny?
    What?
    Were you listening to The Dude’s story?
    I was bowling.
    So you have no frame of reference here, Donny.
    You’re like a child who wanders in in the middle of a movie…
    Walter, what’s the point, man?

32. RDPoulsbo says:

Bradford is a legit QB, but their FO has failed him in every aspect. Horrid line protection and no playmakers to speak of. If it continues, St. Louis will ruin his career. Putting Luck in there would make no difference. That’s why I like that PC worked to rebuild the line before going for a QB.

I’m a little suspicious about the agent’s excuse. Williams and Davis from the Redskins just got the same length of suspension, primarily because they were repeat offenders. They tested positive in the grace period just after the new CBA was ratified and would have gotten off with no punishment if they just stopped. I’m not saying it’s the same situation, but if he were taking aderall the league would have caught it during that grace period and would have been more than enough to get it flagged to get it cleared by the league. At the very least, someone dropped the ball in a big way and there shouldn’t be an excuse for it.

33. HawkfaninMT says:

No excuses… He used a banned substance he gets suspended. Luckily it is a slap on the wrist since he wasn’t going to play the games anyways. As Bobby said, I think his biggest punishment is that he has to stay away from trainging adn rehab facilities.

In regards to the Luck-Manning situation. I don’t think a trade will be required to get manning, and if it is I would say the Hawks have a zero percent chance of making it happen. There is a date built into his contractt hat Colts can release him without incurring further cap hits. If traded someone will take one mannings 100M contract plus lose picks in the process. that is not PC/JS’ style in anyway shape or form. The only way I could see the Hawks getting him is if he were released and he had some affinity for the NW and would take less money to come here. Not very likely in my opinion.

34. RDPoulsbo says:

One thing to say about Archie’s statement, he also said the same about Eli when he was in the draft and likely played a big role in why he was a Charger for less than an hour. Don’t forget he has more influence than any other parent of a player.

On first glance, it would seem everyone would want a Peyton Manning on their team, but in reality, organizations have to give up a lot of control to let him play within his element. When he’s behind center, he calls all the plays from the LoS with little influence from the OC. Given his age, that’s not something most teams are willing to accept. There’s certainly no other team that’s geared to work that way other than Indy. It will take at least a year to change an entire offensive scheme to work that way and only for a couple years at that. If the Colts do draft Luck and Peyton leaves, someone is going to pay a high price to find out it’s not going to be plug and play for wins.

35. HawksKD says:

Only because there are no morning links yet, and I love to derail posts…..

Who would you prefer the Seahawks draft at QB between RG3 and Barkley and why?

36. “If the Colts are dumb enough to trade Manning away because of Luck then they should at least look at how Luck got his hype!”

Georgia, I don’t think the issue is about the Colts being dumb, or preferring Luck to Manning. Simply, if they get the chance to draft Luck, they will, and if that happens and Manning can play, the Colts will be contractually obligated to pay him a $28M bonus before the 2012 season.

I would imagine it will be hard for the Colts to accept that its time to move on without Manning, but I can’t see Colt’s management paying $28M to Manning AND having Luck sitting on the bench. I think Manning either retires or plays for a new team in 2012.

37. HawksKD, I’ve been watching RG with more interest than Barkley. Just a casual observer, Griffin is more athletic, more versatile, and I always wonder about USC QBs because lots of players have looked great in the USC system.

That said, I think the Seahawks win big if they get the chance to draft either player.

Stevos- There will certainly be many ifs regarding the Colts qb situation next year and you are right that money can be a factor in the Colts decision. The status of Mannings injury will be another.

Imo, if Manning heals up and can play, then he will continue to be the Colts leader. He loves the game! He’s a fierce competitor and there are many records for him to break in the next few years.
    As long as he stays healthy he can play for another 3-5 years like Warner did.

I think Luck is a great prospect and will likely be a very good NFL qb, however he hasn’t played a down yet!
    Luck is the most hyped college player since Manning, however Manning was far more battle tested in the SEC.
    Luck has two O-linemen that will probably get picked in the 1st round next year. He rarely gets touched when he drops back to pass.

39. Georgia, like you, I’m not on the “Andrew Luck is the Second Coming” band wagon. I’ve seen too many “sure-thing” rookie QBs fail.

That said, $28M bonus for a QB who just had two vertebrae surgeries in four months? That’s a huge risk. I ruptured a disc in my neck two years ago and its taken me two full years to rehab. I think Manning may need to face facts and retire soon. It will be an interesting story to watch.

If I were the Seahawks GM and the Colts offered Manning for three first round picks I would take it! I would also take Luck and his potential for three first round picks.
    Half our 1st round picks end up being busts anyways so why not?

41. RDPoulsbo says:

$28M is a lot to pay an aging QB. The Colts is also on the upper ends of the payroll this year. Given the huge needs everywhere on that team, it’s hard to justify roughly $20M cap costs for the the foreseeable future. His cap situation was making it difficult to keep other playmakers around in years past and it has all caught up to them now. I just don’t see Indy keeping Manning given their situation. It is clean house and rebuild time in Indy.

Peyton has a lot less valuable than anyone thinks. He’s 35 and has played his entire career in an offensive scheme unique in the NFL that few teams will be willing to replicate. He’ll land a starting job, but I highly doubt he’ll be able to produce similar results he has in the past.

As for RG3 vs. Barkley. I doubt either will be available when Seattle picks, but given what PC wants to do here in Seattle, Barkley is undoubtedly the better fit. RG3 has made me a believer, but I don’t think he’d be at his best in a WCO IMO.

42. The only “sure thing” 1st round draft pick QB I have ever seen was John Elway. I never thought either Manning, David Carr, Mike Vick, etc. were “sure things.” Andrew Luck is the only other “sure thing” at that position these eyes have ever seen, after Elway.

43. mojjonation says:

Luck was tossing the ball around when Gerhart was on the Heismann watch list. So that line has been able to run block for quite some time. Did Baldwin make Luck look good, or did Luck make Baldwin look good? Probably more of the former than the latter, but since Baldwin is in the league and running with the Hawks, we get to make our decision now while whoever drafts Luck will find out later. Luck would be getting the snot kicked out of him if he were with the Rams. You load up to stop Jackson, and make Luck beat you with who? The greatest show on turf is gone and the ball boy probably has better hands than anyone on the field.

Elway wasn’t even a sure thing. I’m sure someone here has checked his stats, not exactly off the charts, but not bad. He wasn’t even .500 as a starter. He demanded a trade when drafted because he didn’t want to play for a junk team with a drill sargeant for a coach. Talk about a cry baby.

There is no excuse for failing any type of drug test now. The rules were laid out, now the spin machine goes into motion whenever someone fails something and it was OTC Sudafed that got them popped. Save us all the embarassment of having to roll our eyes when some agent comes out with a garbage story about how the player was unaware, or the league didn’t previously clear it. Moffitt failed a drug test, end of story. Doesn’t matter what he was taking that made him fail, he failed it. I’m curious to know if any of the other offenders eventually were reoffenders. Not that PC would ever hold anyone accountable for anything, but this entire team needs a sit down with someones mom to straighten out their attitude. Wins and toughness are nice, but getting them by cheating and dirty tactics really don’t do it for me.

44. wabubba67 says:

Marijuana is good for hyperactivity, too!

45. iqbal70 says:

“Wins and toughness are nice, but getting them by cheating and dirty tactics really don’t do it for me.”

So one guy is suspended for taking a stimulant and suddenly they only win because they’re cheating? How did his cheating help them win last weekend? What dirty tactics do they use?

After Luck (which they have no shot at regardless) my favorite QB out there is RGIII. The more I watch him play the more impressed I become. I think he’s the real deal, as Kramer once said.