Morning links: The making of Mebane

Post by Eric Williams on Dec. 5, 2011 at 8:40 am with 22 Comments »
December 5, 2011 8:40 am
Seattle Seahawks defensive tackle Brandon Mebane chases down Philadelphia running back LeSean McCoy. (Rod Mar/Seattle Seahawks)

For my feature on Brandon Mebane today, I had an opportunity to spend some time with his family recently in Los Angeles. Mebane’s father, Walter Mebane Jr. and mother Joyce live right across the street from Crenshaw High, where Brandon and his older brother Walter III attended school.

Mebane is quietly having a good season after signing a lucrative, $25 million deal during the offeason. The 26-year-old leads the NFC in tackles for interior defensive linemen with 38, and is one of the reasons the Seahawks are No. 12 in the league in run defense.

But the making of Mebane’s work ethic and discipline began growing up in the tight-knit family in Los Angeles.

“Just having both parents in the house, no matter where you grow up at, it helps in overcoming those obstacles,” Brandon said. “And I think a lot of people we grew up with, unfortunately the streets took over their lives. A lot of them are in jail, and a lot of guys passed away. We just had to keep God first and keep moving. As our parents always told us, it’s easy to get in trouble, but it’s hard to get out.”

Don’t look now, but the Seahawks are still in the playoff hunt. At 5-7, of course Seattle would have to win out. But they own the tiebreaker over the 6-6 New York Giants by virtue of beating them earlier this season. And they still play the 7-5 Chicago Bears in two weeks.

Atlanta, at 7-5, owns the tie breaker over Seattle by defeating them earlier this season. Arizona, at 5-7, remains in the playoff hunt as well.

I believe the second tiebreaker for the Wild Card is conference record. And right now 7-5 Detroit is 5-5 in the NFC and Seattle is 4-4 with four games left. The Lions play Minnesota at home, travel to Oakland, face San Diego at home and finish the season at Green Bay.

ESPN’s Mike Sando breaks it all down here.

Speaking of playoffs, Eric Branch of the San Francisco Chronicle writes about San Francisco claiming its first NFC West title since 2002 with a 26-0 win over St. Louis.

But the win was bittersweet, with talented linebacker Patrick Willis suffering a hamstring injury.

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com writes about Seattle’s killer Bs’ – Brandon Browner, Alan Branch, Red Bryant and Doug Baldwin.

More Farnsworth: He catches up with former Seahawk receiver Paul Skansi, a scout for the San Diego Chargers.

Bill Barnwell writing for Grantland provides statistical evidence that icing the kicker doesn’t work.

KSBY of San Luis Obispo reports Seahawks practice squad running back Vai Taua has been suspended four games. The reason is undisclosed, but I’ll ask around today. Seattle now has two spots open on the practice squad with Mike Morgan moving up last week. And they likely will have one on the active roster with Russell Okung going on IR.

Morning links
  1. Nice piece on Mebane. He seems like a good dude and he’s definitely a great player worthy of the Hawks investment.

I’m picturing Mebane’s dad looking and talking like the dad from Friday. Am I close?

2. Interesting perspective regarding drafts from Brock Huard @ 710ESPN-

3. I don’t know how one can’t love Mebane. He’s a dirty work player that is essential for others to have more success than they otherwise would have had.

4. seahawk44 says:

What do you all think about these big name possibilities for free agents this offseason?

Houston DE Mario Williams (6-6 / 283) He will be 27 next season, coming off season ending pectoral injury. He has 53 career sacks.

Indy DE Robert Mathis (6-2 / 245) He will be 31 next season and has 80 career sacks(Reggie White was 32 when he went to the Packers)

5. If I’m Houston, I franchise Mario Williams. I don’t see any way he hits the open market.

Personally, I would have no interest in Mathis at this point in his career. Reggie was so great that when he was past his prime he was still better than everyone else. Mathis has never even been the best DE on his team.

6. Let me rephrase… I would have interest in him as a situational pass rusher (he’s not going to play in front of Big Red in run down situations), but I wouldn’t offer what most other teams would offer. That’s why I’d have no interest. I would offer a crapload of money to Williams, but, like I said, I see no scenario where he actually becomes a “FREE” agent.

7. Palerydr says:

I mentioned picking up Williams at least a month ago and as I remember no one seemed to think it was possible for us to pick him up.

I would consider Mathis but I suspect as this will be his last contract he will be asking for more money than he’s worth so more than likely I don’t see us picking him up.

I’m so glad Mebane is back at NT. It’s his best position, clearly. At some point (soon) they’ll need to upgrade 3-tech but Branch has played well, if one dimentionally.

One thing I like about Mebane is his repore with his fellow D-lineman. Just like our O-lineman sticking together, our D-line seems to be doing the same!

10. Soggybuc says:

I would say no on Mathis as well, we need to find someone who’s best ball is going to be blooming for the next 5 years and can grow with the young D.
    i mean no disrespect to either guy here but i see Mathis as a guy with a good year left in him. 2 at the most. he is about to enter the Kearney zone!

11. rgbuckl says:

I would love to try and get Williams. That also seems like a textbook Carroll/Schneider move. If we could pick him up, that would take care of one of the two biggest needs in this off-season.

Aside from QB, where else do we really have “needs” other than depth?

This may be one of the more interesting off-seasons yet…

“This may be one of the more interesting off-seasons yet…”

Have fun with your love for Williams! lol. That aint gonna happen!

13. I’m not willing to sign Williams under the probable franchise tag for a lot of money and giving up two #1 draft picks when we still don’t have a QB.

14. rgbuckl says:

They haven’t franchised him yet have they?

15. rgbuckl says:

Just saw you said “probable.”. Still doesn’t necessarily mean it will happen. Maybe they’ll be one of those teams that ditch a guy after a season- ending injury. At least it could make them hesitate?

Depending on how much Mathis would cost us, maybe they could bring him in fair a year or two.

If anyone is still reading this string, I’d still like to know where you think our needs are aside from QB & DE… I’m thinking depth at LB, OL, CB?

Aside from those QB and DE: OL, RB (another bigger back behind Lynch), DT (3-Tech), WR, Safety, and LB. Add that’s probably close to “in-order”, as I see it. To me TE and Corner are about the only positions that don’t need either immediate attention or are otherwise in good shape at starter and depth.

17. Would we franchise Okung if he were a free agent to be just b/c he had a pec injury or would we let him go b/c of it. There’s no way a team like that is going to let a player of that magnitude simply walk away for nothing.

18. HawkfaninMT says:

The one saving grace I will offer up for those you (not me) thinking we have a shot at Williams is that Arian Foster is also going to be a FA i think and they would be better served using the FT on him IMO. But that would still give them the opportunity to straight up sign Williams to a contract.

19. Palerydr says:

If you want to speculate about affordable DE that are FA next year then I would go after Cliff Averill from Detroit or Jason Jones from Ten.

20. “Arian Foster is also going to be a FA i think and they would be better served using the FT on him IMO.”

So you’re saying that the FO will put an FT on AF the FA?

21. Palerydr says:

Arian Foster is a restricted FA so they will offer him the highest tender offer they can.

All this is presuming of course, they don’t / aren’t able to re-sign either one. Regardless, Bobby is right, those are two cornerstone players for them and neither are going anywhere.