Morning links: Reaction to Hawks 31-14 win

Post by Eric Williams on Dec. 2, 2011 at 8:33 am with 29 Comments »
December 2, 2011 8:33 am
Seattle Seahawks' David Hawthorne is greeted by fans as he runs into the end zone on his 77-yard interception return for a touchdown against the Philadelphia Eagles in the second half of an NFL football game Thursday, Dec. 1, 2011, in Seattle. The Seahawks won 31-14. (AP Photo/Elaine Thompson)

Good morning. Our Monday Morning QB live chat will take place as usual on Monday, at 11 a.m.
And we’ll talk to Seattle Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll at noon today. The players have until Tuesday off, which is well-deserved.

Here’s a look at what’s been said about Seattle’s impressive, 31-14 win over Philadelphia Thursday night.

Here’s my game story. Seattle center Max Unger said it was important for his team to finish after losing a fourth-quarter lead to Washington just four days earlier: “To finish a game like that was big time. We didn’t get it done last week, but we did a little better job this time.”

Larry LaRue of The News Tribune writes that Golden Tate finally took his practice habits to the game, finishing with four catches for 47 yards.

Dave Boling of The News Tribune writes with Marshawn Lynch’s latest impressive performance it might be time to pay the man. Lynch is in the final year of his deal.

Ryan Divish of The News Tribune writes that the Seahawks took Turnover Thursday to heart, with four interceptions, including David Hawthorne’s 77-yard interception return for a score.

Check out photos from the game here.

ESPN’s Mike Sando says the Seahawks wouldn’t be the same without Lynch driving the offense.

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com reviews the game here.

Check out Pete Carroll’s locker room speech after the game in this video link.

Larry Stone of the Seattle Times offers an interesting report from the Philadelphia locker room, which includes LeSean McCoy saying his team is way better than Seattle, and Trent Cole giving props to Marshawn Lynch.

ESPN’s Dan Graziano put it simply in his wrap-up of the game – the Eagles are losers.

Art Thiel of SportspressNW.com writes that the “soft” Seahawks showed some gristle behind the hard running of Lynch.

Morning links

I’ll say this, feels just as good today as it did last night. But I have to say, there is plenty of room for improvement too but we can discuss some of that on the chat later this morning.

2. Soggybuc says:

Agree Duke we have tons of room to get better, but it was nice to see the guys come and be tough as nails and just want it more. Bring on the Lambs!

3. jboard1 says:

What an amazing win. Feels great to be a hawk right now, regardless of the record. I find it funny that guys (opponents) talk sh*t before the game (babin, tapp etc) and they continue to talk sh*t after they get rocked on national TV (McCoy). No matter how good the hawks will ever be, they will never get the credit deserved from anyone across the nation. Maybe thats why the 12th man is so hungry and always brings the noise…it was LOUD in there last night, let’s keep it going

4. Interesting to listen to a little bit of replay of nfl net coverage this morning. All the talking heads picked the Eagles to win and seemed unaware of what the Seahawks are building in Seattle. In the stadium last night there was no doubt that our team is maturing and that Coach Carroll’s system is starting to work.

I suppose the TV guys blamed the whole game on Vince Young, but I was watching his WRs get handled all night. He had no where to go.

Its always hard to see some thing from my seats, but there was no doubt about what I did see. Our O line is moving as a unit and mashing people. There was no doubt the Eagles front 7 was incredibly frustrated as being blocked so effectively. There was no doubt our much-maligned CBs were playing with attitude, owned the Eagle’s routes and owned the defensive backfield. And there was also no doubt that TJack was playing with nerves of steel and good precision.

This was a complete game. The first complete 3-phase win I’ve seen them play in quite a while.

5. holy sh#% I just saw the news about Okung. He was in shoving matches all night, from the first play as I recall. He wasn’t taking any guff from anybody. I was thinking he had really came into his own last night. What a shame he comes up on the short end of the stick with a stupid injury.

I suppose Tyler Polumbus will be back at LT next week?

6. FleaFlicker says:

Let’s see Schneider earn his keep as GM and lock up Marshawn’s contract for two or three more years

7. jboard1 says:

Polumbus is a redskin

8. With the improvement in the offensive line, and the toughness they are showing, lets hope the Hawks can keep Tom Cable on staff over the offseason, as it looks like there will be quite a few head coaching jobs available.

9. It’s even more satisfying that we kicked the ever loving shi# out of the Eagles…I think the Seahawk should be the National bird after that disgrace.

Congrats to Tate for having a break-out game, FINALLY! You guys who have been urging patience may be right.

How is it our OL can struggle at the beginning of the year and finally start to improve….then we lose the entire right side…and we still seem to be getting better?! Cable Rocks!

This defense plays with a swagger…It’s been a long time since we’ve had a D this good and with this much potential…And, we have the 2nd youngest D in the NFL. Amazing.

Believe it or not, I actually have some concern about the d line in general. As much as I like Clem and his energy, I think they need to upgrade the position. They need a consistent rush / pressure from there, and I also think as well as Branch has played, they need a more dynamic 3-tech, although Hardgrove has shown flashes.

My general concern with that group is that when they’re in a cover 2 or drop to quarters, teams seem to have sucess running on them (and not just last night). It’s really when they’re in cover 1 and bring Kam or Thomas up, that they are really stout agains the run. That extra body makes a huge difference and that’s fine most times. But like we saw in the 4th before the Heater pick last night, they can be run on, and in chunks, in those situations.

11. MadSweeney42 says:

If we could’ve beaten the Falcons (and the Cards again, but I’m expecting a win there), we would be undisputed top Bird in the league!

Marshawn is starting to remind me a lot of Watters. I wasn’t happy signing that dude because of his antics, but I never heard a negative peep about him the whole time he was in Seattle and he ran HARD. Never stepped out of bounds, always made the little DB who tried to force him out pay for it. Lynch has had some off-field problems, but he seems like an ideal teammate, runs hard, never gives up and has produced massive dividends. I’d like to see him get a good 3-4 year deal taken care of like Williams was last year (without the dropoff obviously). He seems to be well liked by his teammates and there’s no better example of determination and desire on the offense. Wouldn’t surprise me to see him wearing a C on his jersey next year. Do it Schneider!

Last night was no 42-0, but it was still a good national thumping.

12. “Can you guys imagine what’s going to happen when we develop a legitimate pass rush?!”

Pass rush was the difference between last night’s game and the Redskins game. The Seahawks could not get enough pressure on Grossman. Even Young managed to escape the Seahawks pass rush — he just made some bone-headed throws.

I really thing this could be an elite defense with one more good pass-rusher.

As for the offense, Tarvaris teased us again with some really good throws. If you watched just the Ravens and Eagles games, you’d think we’re set at quarterback.

13. MadSweeney42 says:

canfan,

Not really set at QB. I don’t remember his stats from the Ravens game but 137 yards last night? I know Beastmode was pounding them down, but 137 ain’t gonna cut it against quality opponents (even though the Eagles are clearly, according to them, far more talented). And some stuff that doesn’t show up on the stat line, like rolling out of the pocket, having a clear area past the LoS to get rid of the ball and taking a 6 yard loss instead (which he does a LOT).

14. langfordhawk says:

On Browners first interception, Cooper has aligator arms because he knows Kam owns the middle of the field. This is one great example of where his punishing style of play starts to pay off.

15. I was at the game and didn’t DVR it…does anyone have a link to the Trent Cole “hit” on Okung at the end of the game? I’d like to see it or hear some of your perspectives that have seen the play..

16. Penalties were better last night – I couldn’t see the contact on Browner( from where we were sitting) was it a legit call or another of the questionable ones we have seen?

and hey Maybe Tonya Harding and Jeff Galloly still live in Portland/vancouver and we can ask them to “deal with” Cole?

17. SandpointHawk says:

Bad Video, tilt your head and squint…

18. Is it me, or does it feel damn good going into games now and expecting/knowing that we’re the tougher team in the trenches? The beating the crap out of the Ravens thing really got me excited about our “physicality.” We are the pushers, not the pushed around. Once we solidify the QB position and add a pass rusher (Dexter Davis?) we are going to be in the mix of things. And, starting now, I don’t want Tarvaris kicked off the team as soon as the regular season ends. I want him to remain as one of the better back-up QBs in the NFL.

19. oh wow… thanks sandpoint..didn’t realize this is now the WWF (or WWE or whatever they call that crap these days).

For anyone who didn’t see Carroll on NFL set after the game, here it is. Worth a watch. Love it…

21. I watched that, too. Good stuff!

22. SandpointHawk says:

It was good until he started the blarney about T-Jack being the future in Seattle….

23. chuck_easton says:

What’s he supposed to say? T-Jack is just keeping the seat warm until something better comes along?

Everyone knows it’s true. But whatever kid gets drafted at QB next year he’s going to have to come in and take the job away from T-Jack. Not a bad position to be in. If the QB of the future isn’t ready to start day one, then T-Jack keeps playing while the new guy comes up to speed.

24. GriffinNW says:

Makes me sick to my fucking stomach that Okung is most likely done for the year because some punk took him out with a dirty move AFTER the play was over.
    Okung, Moffitt, Carpenter – Rookie or 2nd year OL all (possibly)out? That really kills what we have going with our run game right now.
    Hoping for the best with results on Big Russ. But it didn’t sound good according to Pete Carroll today.

25. SandpointHawk says:

Chuck spoken like a true Lawyer. Yes we all know it. “Great game by T-Jack” says it all. Then change the subject. He looses credibility when he goes on about a QB that was signed for back-up wages and for only two years.

26. ““Great game by T-Jack” says it all. Then change the subject. He looses credibility when he goes on about a QB that was signed for back-up wages and for only two years. ”

There really would have been no way to do that w/out drawing attention to it given the question he was asked. Plus, we just had a big win, and TJ had a real good game. No need to deal w/that issue at the moment. And I bet TJ starts next year anyway, even if we spend a #1 on our next QB.

He doesn’t lose any credibility praising Jackson. Carroll is a positive guy and he’s not undermining anyone in public (or pricite I imagine). As I see it, they only right way to answer a question like what he was asked is exactly how he did.

28. wabubba67 says:

The guy is good on camera. Kind of a like Mike Holmgren on methamphetamines…Holmgren was more thoughtful in his words, Carroll more enthusiastic.