Morning links: Will Hawks show Lynch the money?

Post by Eric Williams on Nov. 18, 2011 at 7:47 am with 20 Comments »
November 18, 2011 7:47 am
Seattle Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch (24) runs against the San Francisco 49ers in the third quarter of an NFL football game in San Francisco, Sunday, Sept. 11, 2011. (AP Photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez)

Seattle Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch has put his value to the team on display in back-to-back 100-yard rushing performances the past two weeks.

Now, will the Seahawks reward him with a new contract after the season?

We’ll soon find out how much Lynch means to the Seahawks. The former Cal star technically is signed through 2012, but he has already reached minimal playing-time requirements to void the final year of his contract, making him a free agent at the end of this season. Lynch is earning a base salary of $2.14 million this season.

According to a league source, representatives for the Seahawks and Lynch have had preliminary discussions in an effort to set the parameters for a multi-year contract.

Lynch, 25, had two 1,000-yard rushing seasons in his first four years in the NFL. With 507 yards so far in his fifth season and seven games remaining to play, it’s not inconceivable that he could reach 1,000 yards this season, becoming Seattle’s first 1,000-yard rusher since Shaun Alexander ran for 1,880 in an MVP performance in 2005.
Lynch said he likes playing in Seattle.

“The team is cool,” Lynch said. “I had relationships with people before I got here. The new relationships that I have made – we’ve got great people here. And the offensive line coming together and T-Jack (Tarvaris Jackson) taking control – there’s some real good things going on around here that I like. So it’s cool with me.”

He said he’s not concerned with contract talks right now.

“This is the place where I’m at right now,” Lynch said. “And I’m excited about finishing this thing out.”

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com profiles Seattle’s new right tackle Breno Giacomini.

If you’re wondering how to say Giacomini, Liz Mathews of ESPN 710 Seattle has you covered right here.

Penn State alums Michael Robinson and Deon Butler share their thoughts on the tragedy occurring in Happy Valley in his latest version of the Real Robinson Report in the video below.

Danny O’Neil of the Seattle Times shares a portion of his readers’ chat with safety Earl Thomas.

Rob Rang of NFLDraftScout.com has Seattle selecting Penn State defensive tackle Devon Still at No. 9 overall in his latest mock draft.

Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that the Rams had yet another injury at cornerback, with Justin King tweaking an ankle at Thursday’s practice.

Morning links

I’m glad they have already begun talking with Lynch about an extension. Get it done before the end of the season, please.

And I presume his comments about the o-line were prior to Sunday…

And it’s about time a mock draft was posted. Hell, it’s nearly Thanksgiving that means the draft is a mear 5 months away…

3. HawkfaninMT says:

I would love to see them get all of our own FAs signed before the end of the year. Get Lynch re-signed, Bryant, Hill and Hawthorne all extended. That way the FO knows exactly what it has to work with at the onset of the offseason; as opposed to waiting to get the signed until into the FA period when other FAs may have signed elsewhere.

I would also like to see them waste no time in extending some of the young guys who have contracts that aren’t up for a couple of years, but are proven to be valuable. Get ET, Kam, and Baldwin all locked up for some extra years. I would add Okung to that list, but man his injuries are cruddy.

4. HawkyHann says:

Is Tebow coming to Seattle? Ground and pound.

5. Gabe Carimi was also just placed on IR, so Carpenter ain’t the only one, guess that’s something, in some weird twisted way?

Lynch needs a contract extension, I was doubting him earlier in the season, thought he was instinctive enough, didn’t hit the right holes or whatever you want to call those sparse opening the O-line created, but in recent weeks he’s been outstanding.

6. The difference between Carimi and Carpenter is that Carimi actually looked good in his transition from LT to RT. But, yeah, it is weird that both are on IR. I do think that Carpenter as a LG and Carimi as a RT is equal though (and that’s a compliment to the skill set of Carpenter). Both, IMO, will be good NFL players, provided that both can get healthy and remain so (and I hope both do). I don’t see that if both stay at RT because I simply believe that Carpenter is too slow of foot to be very good in pass protection.

I’d really like to see Big Red and Lynch resigned before free agency. If you’ve got your own good players, you should always keep them AND add in other ways (mainly the draft, but free agency, too).

Lynch deserves a contract extension. And the Seahawks deserve a three to four game win streak. Win the turnover battle and we can be back in the playoff hunt.

8. Anybody who might be questioning whether to re-sign The Beast:
    Here’s three good reasons:

and the fourth reason: he’s only 25.

9. Show him the money.

10. I’m thinking, QB, RT, and DE in the draft next year. Like others, let’s shore up our own free agents, then get after what we need.

11. chuck_easton says:

I hate the “show him the money” line.

Name one player that ever played as well and as hard after being “shown the money”.

Here’s just a few names that make me shy away from giving the big payday:

Chris Johnson
    Albert Haynesworth
    Shaun Alexander
    Keven Kolb

Sure, pay the guy and pay him well. Don’t break the bank.

12. “I have always thought that Lynch was good. This isn’t surprising to see him do well with actual blocking.”

I agree. Lynch has had so many carries where he faced his first defender behind the line on this team. Give him a crease and he always hits it hard. And the way he runs makes us a tougher team overall.

And, remember that he was kind of tagged as being a bad-attitude player before he came here, haven’t heard a peep of that the past couple years.

13. Re-watching the end of that Broncos-Jets game. Really something. Tim Tebow, for all his flaws, is MONEY in the fourth quarter. And the best running QB in the league right now.

Even more striking, was the total embarrassment of the Jets front 7 on the final touchdown by Tebow. Safety #33 over-ran the play, allowing Tebow to run around the end, then 33 catches Tebow from behind, and then WHIFS on the tackle, as Tebow heads into the end zone.

#33 on the Jets is usually worn by Safety Eric Smith, but I’m pretty sure in Thursday’s game, #33 was Aaron Curry in disguise. That was the most Curry-esque play I’ve seen since Curry left Seattle.

14. Maybe the Broncos should simply start Orton for the first 18 minutes of the first half and then for the 3rd quarter. All time not mentioned should belong to Tebow. lol

I can’t believe how ugly Tebow looks under regular circumstances, but there’s no denying that there’s something crazy about him (I can’t explain it).

I bashed him prior the draft a few years ago and even said that I wouldn’t want the ‘Hawks to take him even if he was there in the mid-rounds. But I will admit that I was cheering for him last night on that final drive. I didn’t care about the Jets or the Broncos, I just wanted Tebow to lead whoever on the winning score against anyone.

15. Sure, pay the guy and pay him well. Don’t break the bank.

Chuck – couldn’t agree more!!!!

16. Anybody remember QB Travis Lulay from Montana State? He was on the Seahawks’ practice squad in 2008. Well, he was the top QB in the CFL this year and a cinch to win the league’s Most Outstanding Player award. He plays for the B.C. Lions and his coach, Wally Buono, compares him to Jeff Garcia. Might be worth bringing him to training camp next year. He could be a really good backup to TJ (if TJ doesn’t end up backing up someone else).

“In the ability to be an athlete, and scramble, I compare Travis to Jeff Garcia,” said Lions head coach Wally Buono. “Jeff was a great athlete, and Travis is, too.”

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Travis+Lulay+hasn+quite+arrived+close/5724752/story.html#ixzz1e64boI2D

17. “Tim Tebow, for all his flaws, is MONEY in the fourth quarter. And the best running QB in the league right now.”

It’s true. I find myself thinking about that last drive as well. Really, Tebow is built like a fullback, and probably could be a damn good fullback if things had gone different. And yeah, the Jets are to be blamed for not containing on his TD run, but watch the replay, his pocket instincts were great, he was moving to his left instinctively as soon as the ball was snapped, and that movement gave him the head start he needed to be able to beat some fast defenders around the corner.

Of course his throwing accuracy is poor, but if he could just learn to take some heat off of his throws he’d definitely complete more passes. I’m now thinking he may learn how to become at least a competent passer, and will play for a long while in the league.

18. HawkfaninMT says:

@Canfan: I am Griz Alum, I know Travis Lulay all too well! Love to see Big Sky players get a chance to succeed in the NFL

19. “Of course his throwing accuracy is poor, but if he could just learn to take some heat off of his throws he’d definitely complete more passes.”

Yeah, take some heat off them and also keep them off the ground. If he improves his passing just a little, he could be starting in Denver for a while.

20. yellaman says:

While resigning Lynch is a must, I hope they address the big back position through the draft next spring. They need in this order a QB, DE, RB, and maybe OG or LB- depth. This should be their first 4 pick in next years draft or acquire via FA period.