Cable: “I’ve never lost a guy in pass-pro drill. So it’s new to me, too.”

Post by Eric Williams on Nov. 17, 2011 at 4:08 pm with 28 Comments »
November 17, 2011 4:08 pm

Seattle Seahawks offensive line coach Tom Cable was blunt when asked about the freakish nature of losing rookie offensive tackle James Carpenter to an ACL left knee injury for the rest of the season during one-on-one pass protection drills on Wednesday.

“It’s never happened to me in my career in 25 years,” he said. “I’ve never lost a guy in a pass-pro drill. So it’s new for me, too.”

Cable said it’s a shame that both Carpenter and fellow rookie John Moffitt are done for the year, but he has confidence in Paul McQuistan and Breno Giacomini stepping in at right guard and right tackle.

So we’ll the Seahawks bring in a guy?

“My focus has been on just getting ready for the game,” Cable said. “Certainly the personnel people and all of that are probably looking at what we can do in terms of the situation. But right now we have enough for what’s here, so you just get ready for the game.”

Cable said one of the things that should help in terms of the transition for the two new players is the offensive line group is pretty close.

“We’re really lucky because it’s a unique group. We’re very close. They’re close off the field, and that’s happened at a very rapid rate, bringing them all new in here. But it’s real strong bond in that room, so that part I think just kind of stays how it was going moving forward.

“The real issue then is just the communication between the two of them and getting used to each other’s voice. But that’s what practice is for, and they’ve done a nice job. Today was really good.”

In terms of injuries, safety Atari Bigby and defensive lineman Anthony Hargrove missed a second day of practice with hamstring issues.

Receivers Doug Baldwin and Sidney Rice, along with safety Kam Chancellor and linebacker David Vobora were all full participants coming back from concussion symptoms.

Tarvaris Jackson (pectoral) and Cameron Morrah (toe/knee) also were full participants.

The Seahawks will have a walk-through on Friday and unlike their earlier road trips this season, because the Sunday game is a 3 p.m. start in St. Louis, Seattle will not travel until Saturday.

Notes from practice
  1. HawkfaninMT says:

Amongst all the bady injury news on the OL… Kam, Rice, and DOugie are all good to go!!

2. BobbyAyala says:

If the Hawks didn’t have bad luck, they wouldn’t have any luck at all.

3. chrisj122 says:

Well Mr. Cable welcome to the V-MAC and the North West. If it weren’t for bad luck we would have none at all.

4. The Seahawks are in great shape for this weekend.

5. nidhighe says:

It’s ironic that Carpenter was injured in a pass protection drill.

6. pabs – Of course they are in great shape, they are playing the Rams. I’d prefer to have higher expectations for the long-term health of this franchise. Not some meaningless wins against one of the worst teams of the last half decade in a season where we’re not going to make the play-offs anyways.

nidhighe – I thought that too. You’d think it would have been a neck injury watching the guy pass by on his way to the QB:) In all seriousness though, man this injury sucks. He and Moffitt in 5 days. That’s a crappy week! Top 2 picks in the draft! That really, really sux!

7. Carpenter is on the news for eating a child at Chuck-E-Cheese he was hiding in the balls after his credit card got declined at ponderosa.

8. ok, then the Seahawks are in great shape for the next 3 weeks as they get back to 6-6 on the season.

9. It would be great if they could win the next two games — then they’d have a half-decent record going into their two nationally televised games. I’m sure NFL Network is hoping that the Seahawks or Eagles are still in playoff contention on Dec. 1.

The Eagles play the Giants and Patriots, so they could be 3-8 by then.

10. Tim Tebow!?!?

11. Tebow is a terrible passer, but I can understand the Broncos fans’ excitement. It isn’t hard to root for him.

12. What to make of Tebow? Looks terrible, like how is this guy on the field terrible, for 55 minutes. And then damn if he doesn’t get it all together and put them on his back for a 95 yard winning drive. Does that make up for not scoring a TD the entire game before? I don’t know. But it’s hard not to think he’s got something. That’s another win for them.

13. oh, and von miller isn’t too bad either.

14. Tebow is the most amazing story of this football season. If anybody believed he could win that Jets game, it sure wasn’t me.

15. Von Miller — can we get someone like him in the draft please?

16. Canfan, I’m no so sure there is a Von Miller in the upcoming draft. A sure-thing speed rusher. Courtney Upshaw from Bama, maybe.

17. If you guys think Von Miller is good, you ought to check out this linebacker the raiders have. His name is aaron curry.

Tebow’s 20 yard run for the TD late was as much on the Jets as anything. 3rd and 1? Sure, jam the middle. 3rd and 4? You have to know he’s going to try and at least stretch the defense to find a running lane. Where is the contain? The Jets are the worst good team in the league. In fact, I don’t know why I keep insisting on thinking they’re good. They’re not. Got to give Tebow credit though, dude just finds a way to get it done. (And have to give Fox credit as well. He’s all in on tailoring an offense to get the most from Tebow’s strengths, even if everyone said that style couldn’t work in the NFL.)

19. Yes. Von Miller is a stud/freak.

20. Palerydr says:

I didn’t watch the game last night but man Tebow is creating quite a story isn’t he? Nothing he does looks like it should work at the pro level yet he keeps getting W’s. In the Not For Long League W’s no matter how you get them can keep you around for a while.

I was hoping Carpenter would develop into an NFL caliber RT now however I see his future moving inside taking over for Gallery. I believe someone signed Polumbus I could look it up but I’m certain somebody did. So who else is available?

21. Palerydr says:

Tried to answer my own question about available FA linemen but couldn’t find any current info. However I discovered Mario Williams will be a FA next year. He could definetly improve our pass rush but where would he play? In Clemens spot, Bryants or a rotation at both spots? Would be a nice problem to have IMO.

Williams would be EXPENSIVE. No way Houston lets him walk either. But if they did, his fit here, IMO, would be predicated on them reverting back to an under front and have him at Sam. That would most closely resemble what he plays in Houston’s 3-4.

23. gonefishin69690 says:

Welcome to Seattle Tom. It seems like ever since the new training facility opened up, so has the injury list. What the heck are they doing out there. I remember one season when Seneca Wallace was injured running out of the tunnel before the game.

24. Poor Carpenter had to go against Von Miller in preseason!

Remember when the Seahawks drafted two pass-rushing Michaels (McCrary and Sinclair) in the 7th and 6th rounds respectively? Wish they could do that again.

25. princeaden says:

I think the best get for the PC/JS era has been Tom Cable. He is exactly what this team needs.

26. HawkfaninMT says:

@ Duke Re: Mario Willaims…

I agree it would be expensive, and it would be pretty shocking to see him leave Houston. That being said, this is his first year as OLB. He was drafted and is most naturally gifted as a 4-3 DE Pass Rusher. Exactly what our beloved hawks would love to get.

Still don’t see it happening, but a guy can dream i suppose

27. He’ll most likely get the franchise tag.

28. HawkfaninMT says:

He may… I think Arian Foster is an FA also though, so they may have a tough choice to amke with regards to the tag