Morning links: Ground and pound

Post by Eric Williams on Nov. 16, 2011 at 7:06 am with 15 Comments »
November 16, 2011 9:46 am
Seattle Seahawks Marshawn Lynch, left, gets past Baltimore Ravens defender Cory Redding, second from left, in the first half of an NFL football game, Sunday, Nov. 13, 2011, in Seattle. (AP Photo/Ted S. Warren)

It took longer than expected, but the Seattle Seahawks finally got their run game going. Seattle offensive line coach Tom Cable made it a point of emphasis leading up to the Dallas game two weeks ago, and that led to Seattle’s Marshawn Lynch posting back-to-back 100-yard rushing performances for the first time as a Seahawk.

“It’s not any one of them – it’s all of them,” Cable said. “Marshawn did a great job of reading, and then guys were blocking and fitting helmets the right way and working better as a unit. So it was just kind of a collective deal.”

And the Seahawks likely will continue to pound the ball on the ground against St. Louis. The Rams give up a league-worst 150.6 yards a contest on the ground.

Three running backs have rushed for more than 100 yards against the Rams, including Dallas rookie DeMarco Murray, who had 253 yards – the ninth-most all-time – in a 34-7 Cowboys win over St. Louis a month ago.

Rod Mar of Seahawks.com offers photos from the Baltimore game.

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com previews the St. Louis game.

Reed Albergotti of the Wall Street Journal writes about the Seahawks’ plus-sized defense, noting that Seattle’s has the heaviest defensive front in the league behind Buffalo.

Brock Huard of ESPN 710 Seattle talks about the Seahawks heavy defensive front in this video.

More Huard: He breaks down the David Hawthorne interception.

ESPN’s Mike Sando writes that the NFC West’s schedule strength is better than anticipated because of San Francisco’s 8-1 record.

Watch Marshawn Lynch juke Ray Lewis out of his shoes again in the video below.

Morning links
  1. Lynch and Washington go for a hundo, like Shaun and MoMo. That would be awesome.

2. chrisj122 says:

Love watching the running game develop, especially after years of having absoultly no run game at all. To me this is the most encouraging progress made.

Lol, sick. He breaks Lewis’ ankles.

And I totally agree: They’ve finally committed to the run for an entire game and it’s developed nicely. Throughout the summer, the biggest thing I wanted to see from this offense was the development of the line regarding the run. Very nice to see, indeed.

4. Sarcasticus says:

The Washington Post article was an interesting read. I do enjoy watching the defense play big. However, when he mentions the d-line as being Branch, Brock and two others, I begin to question just how much of this defense he has actually watched. I am pretty sure my description of the d-line would begin with Red and Clemons…then I would mention Branch, Hargrove et al. Oh and the reason Sherman and Browner are able to clamp down on the underneath stuff is because Earl Thomas is playing Griffey in centerfield.

5. SandpointHawk says:

How about Mebane?

6. chuck_easton says:

“This, combined with their losing record and the fact that they play in a secret location in a forest somewhere north of Los Angeles, has kept this defense from earning many props.”

One of the best and most polite East Coast slants I’ve seen on our South Alaska Seahawks yet.

7. Lynch has given us two unforgettable highlights in his short career in Seattle. The juke on Ray Lewis is Barry Sanders-like. Hope he can keep up his hard running, so we don’t have to draft a RB in the first round.

In my view, the Seahawks’ biggest need is pass-rusher. We need a DT, DE or LB who can pressure the QB. Romo and Flacco both had too much time in the pocket.

8. From the Post article: “They’re not favored to make the playoffs, they’re nobody’s pick to win the Super Bowl and their anemic offense ought to be disinvited from Thanksgiving dinner.”

I’m confused. Can someone explain the Thanksgiving reference?

Canfan – Setting aside the QB debate for a moment, I agree: Pass rush DE is a huge need, IMO. And I would put depth at DT a close second. In addition, on a short list I’d also include another physical back to compliment Lynch, LG, and LB.

10. chuck_easton says:

Sometimes I forget that we are spoiled. We get every Seahawks game so it is assumed that the rest of the civilized world actually could find Seattle on a map.

I have friends in the East who claim they have not seen more than a 30 second snipit of highlights most weeks (usually the other team’s highlights because the National media doesn’t ever show when Seattle does good) in several years.

11. That’s actually a Wall Street Journal article, not Washington Post. I was wondering why the Post was writing about the Seahawks, but when I followed the link, it did look like the Post’s website. That’s probably what got Eric confused.

Yes, Chuck, you are spoiled. People in the East get to watch the Seahawks only when they play the East Coast teams.

12. MadSweeney42 says:

Canfan, that’s true about Lynch’s highlights. In fact, that juke may be the best I’ve ever seen with regards to how the D ends up. Pause it when Ray tries to come back and his legs are all akimbo and he’s falling forawrd at the same time onto the other guy. Barry had probably hundreds of sick fakes, but you expected him to do that. Watching a beast-style runner do it is awesome. I like Lynch, and frankly I didn’t expect to. He’s not been any trouble here at all and has put his all into every carry, even if that was just to get back to the LoS. Reminds me of Watters, who I also wasn’t thrilled to get because of his antics, but was without a single negative story as far as I know during his tenure. What I like about both of them was that they don’t just step out of bounds (Watters NEVER did, Lynch does sometimes) downfield. Punish the DB trying to tackle you and then somewhere down the line he hesitates enough to get that 1 extra inch that’s the difference in the game.

I don’t think Lynch will become a rushing legend in Seattle, but he’s good enough to consider the position filled for hopefully a few years. Despite that as he has shown, there’s no doubt he’ll put up some legendary plays.

13. ohiohawkfan says:

Chuck – You are correct. The only Seahawk games I have seen so far this year are when they played Cincy and Cleveland. Both were painful to watch and I got an earful from my in-laws (Cincy fans). Look forward to the Thursday night and Monday night games.

14. On the penalties point – – espn stats now breaks down (and ranks) the teams penalty count: http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/downs/sort/totalPenalties/position/defense

And, the result is maybe not too surprising. Defensively, we have the 4th fewest in the league; on offense, we are 2nd to worst.

15. mojjonation says:

Hopefully the ankle breaking jukes will continue. Considering it was done to one of the best (and honestly aging) LB’s in the league, only adds to the Beast Mode legend. Considering we have just lost the right side of our line for the season, this may be difficult to sustain. I guess we run 25-30 times over the left side against the Rams and just ask the fill ins on the right to just get in the way of the other guys.