Morning links: Penalty violators put on notice

Post by Eric Williams on Nov. 15, 2011 at 6:16 am with 17 Comments »
November 15, 2011 6:16 am
Seattle Seahawks cornerback Brandon Browner complains about a call against Baltimore. (TNT file photo)

Dave Boling of The News Tribune writes with the Seattle Seahawks totaling a season-high 13 penalties for 100 yards last week against Baltimore, head coach Pete Carroll is trying a new way to make it clear the team’s lack of discipline needs to stop.

He’s posting the team leaders in penalties on the wall.

Boling: “A Dirty Dozen of Seahawks committed 16 penalties in Sunday’s game against Baltimore. Carroll listed them all, even the un-indicted co-conspirators – those whose penalties were declined.

“It’s spread around, it’s a global situation we’re dealing with here,” Carroll said of the penalties at his Monday press conference. “Epidemic proportions.”

The problem is not new, and it’s only getting worse. The Seahawks now have 83 accepted penalties in nine games – more than they had in six entire seasons since 1987.

The Seahawks will start their fifth different starting offensive line combination with right guard John Moffitt out for the year with an MCL knee injury.

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com takes a look at what went well and what needs improvement from Sunday’s game against Baltimore.

Scott Johnson of the Everett Herald continues his game of my life feature with a profile on former Seahawks linebacker Fredd Young.

Pete Prisco of CBS Sports gives Seattle an A- for their effort against Baltimore.

Ben Muth of Football Outsiders has some interesting things to say about Seattle’s offense line, particularly about the play of Robert Gallery, whom he considers one of the strengths on the offensive line and a good run blocker. Definitely worth a read this morning.

Aaron Schatz of Football Outsiders takes a look at which top running backs should be paid between Ray Rice, Matt Forte and Arian Foster. Marshawn Lynch needs to be considered on this list as well, as he’s in the final year of his deal. You need to be an ESPN Insider to view this.

Danny O’Neil of the Seattle Times writes that the Seahawks are one of five teams to have beaten two teams that are 6-3 or better. None of the four other teams to accomplish the feat has fewer than six wins.

Morning links

As I see it, not all penalties are the same. Especially when we’re talking about such a young team. Things like Browner’s PIs are somewhat understandable as physical as he plays and as inexperienced as he is in the NFL. The key on those is whether they decrease as he gains experience and more playing time, because if not, a move there will eventually have to happen. Calls like false starts, unsportsman like, illegal formation, offside, etc… these are procedural and cannot be tolerated regardless of the team’s experience. And they’ve been happening since the first day of camp.

2. That’s pretty much exactly what I was going to say. I don’t mind the physical penalties in the heat of the action (within reason) but the blatantly ‘stoopid’ penalties, like false starts, are not acceptable. I can see a couple per season for an entire line as a whole, but when you’re getting (it seems) a few per game from individual players, that’s what really destroys your team and morale. Imagine is S. Andrews were still around? Well, he’d fit right in, that’s for sure.

3. First of all, It’s about time he recognized the situation and takes action. Much too late for all of us but better late than never I suppose.

Second, the method is pretty smart IMO. Peer pressure(respect from team mates) is a powerful motivator (both positively and negatively depending on how it’s used). Pete’s sort of using the competition theme here in reverse. Just like he uses competition in practice (even with assistant coaches against one another) as a positive motivator, it is going to embarrass guys on the top of the list. I would guess it might take 2-3 weeks but this should definitely help I would think. At least he is taking some action, finally.

4. BobbyAyala says:

“They’re the second-most flagrant scofflaws in the NFL, trailing only the Oakland Raiders (91), who have long ago retired the Golden Hochuli Award for on-field anarchy.”

Inspired writing. I literally LOL’d. Nice line, Eric.

5. BobbyAyala says:

Oh wait, that was Dave. Inspired, Dave.

You’re still good, Eric.

6. Dave’s point about the refs is very intriguing. Some very strange calls in nearly every game. The refs do seem uncertain of their calls. Never thought of it as being due to trying to interpret new rules and possibly worrying about how they will be reviewed form above later. I think Dave is right. Nothing else can explain the phantom calls we’re seeing in inordinate numbers this year. That call on Roy Lewis was crap. What was he supposed to do, run to the sideline and let the reciever run free so that he can avoid all contact?

7. BobbyAyala says:

I don’t think you really can point the finger at anyone but Roger Goodell for some of the defensive penalties.

On the other hand, he’s dealing with major issues revolving around player health vis-a-vis concussions, and he’s taken proactive steps to try and help remedy the situation.

He’s in between a rock and a hard place, and the result is a lot of bad, bad football.

Don’t the players sign waivers each season indemnifying the league of responsibility in the chance of a head injury? If that’s the case, then let them play football.

The game itself is being lost in the new rules.

Can you imagine how many fines a guy like Ronnie Lott would rack up if he played today?

8. Agree that false starts and procedurals are inexcusable, especially at home. While the tickytack contact fouls are a different story.

The league needs to revisit the rules next offseason. Players aren’t sure when they’re going to be flagged, and officials look like they don’t even know how to call things on the field right now. One incidental contact is okay and the next is a flag. Refs need to figure out how to back this off a little and let guys play football. If they let all this flagging for contact continue, they’re going to end up with 32 teams that have guys like Kelly Jennings playing CB, running alongside receivers while they score TDs unabated.

I think Pete Carroll has it right to not let his DBs stop being aggressive. Winning NFL teams are always the teams that are as aggressive as possible within the rules. I’d rather see our team err on the “too aggressive” side of the line than the other side.

9. chuck_easton says:

I’ll take the occasional ‘grabby CB’ penalty any day if it means we only have 11 or so passing TD’s scored on us so far.

It sure beats the old days when our CB’s were more like ‘destroyer escorts’ ensuring the opposing WR had safe passage into the endzone.

10. I agree about wanting his DBs to remain aggressive. That stuff doesn’t bother me nearly as much as a false start, illegal formation, etc. I want an aggressive defense, but the genuine stupidity on offense needs to stop (not that there haven’t been some dumb defensive penalties, too).

11. Would love to know what Browner was saying in this picture!! There were a number of times that Carroll, Browner, Hawthorne, and other Def. players were in the refs faces.

I understand some of the penalty calls and why they are called but they seem to be VERY inconsistent! It could just be my bias but even watching none hawks games there seems to be inconsistencies within games which are the most frustrating

12. ‘That call on Roy Lewis was crap. What was he supposed to do, run to the sideline and let the reciever run free so that he can avoid all contact? ‘

That was a terrible call. There’s a bit of a star system (not unlike the guys who always get calls in the NBA) – when you watch Revis, and the amount of contact he gets away with – there’s not comparison to what our young guys get called for all the time.

13. Personally, I don’t think there is any vandetta against the Seahawks (except for SB XL). I think ET could have been called late in the Ravens game, as the announcers said, but it wasn’t (and shouldn’t have been). I simply think the officiating has been substandard. However, I can’t ever remember a season in the last 30 years where headlines read something like “great officiating.” People bitch about it every year and complain about it every year and every year it is supposedly getting worse. I don’t buy it. I think the officiating is about the same as it has been. And I can guarantee that the average fan of most NFL teams would claim that their teams gets screwed out of more calls than their opponents do consistently. I don’t buy the “woe is me” stuff all the time.

I agree with that. The best thing that’s ever said about the officials is nothing.

15. I got two niner friends and a cowboy friend and they even admit that the Hawks get screwed on calls a lot more than other teams they watch. I think it’s kind of like the refs and everyone else are like “who cares, its just the Hawks”, when it comes to calls and even our schedule.

16. Just sayin’

17. Sarcasticus says:

Penalties due to aggressive play are ok. Pre-snap and personal foul penalties are not.