Jackson hands out “F” for his play so far

Post by Eric Williams on Nov. 3, 2011 at 1:46 pm with 23 Comments »
November 3, 2011 1:46 pm
Seattle Seahawks quarterback Tarvaris Jackson.

Seattle Seahawks quarterback was blunt in his assessment when asked to evaluate his performance so far this season.

“We’re a 2-5 team,” Jackson said. “So the quarterback’s job is to help the team win as much as possible. We still have got a lot work to do, so 2-5 is failing. So I guess I’ve got an F so far right now. But we’re getting better. We’re growing .And I feeling more and more comfortable each week. And the guys are feeling more and more comfortable with me, and the coach is gaining more trust in me, so that’s good.

“My whole thing, like I said, is I’m always about wins. That’s what I really pride myself in, and that’s what all quarterbacks should be judged on. And that’s what I want to be judge on, so right now 2-5 is not going to get the job done.”

As head coach Pete Carroll said on Wednesday, Jackson said he’s expects to be healthy enough to play on Sunday at Dallas, but he also understands he’ll have to continue to play with some pain with the strained pectoral muscle.

“It’s going to be sore pretty much the whole season I think,” Jackson said. “But the point is to just trying to get as much practice time as I can and get as many reps as I can get in, and being able to play on Sundays.”

“It’s doesn’t matter,” Jackson said. “That’s the Eagles. It’s a new week. And they’re going to make some adjustments I’m pretty sure, but we’re going to try and attack their weaknesses that they saw on film – not from just that game, but from the previous game.

“So we know it can be done against them, but we’re just going in there expecting that, ‘Oh well, we’re going to do it.’ We’ve got to go out there and earn it ourselves.”

“If coach (OC Darrell Bevell) sees something he’ll chime in and try to give me a play early,” Jackson said. “But once he catches us in a rhythm already and he sees us calling a play, he kind of lets us go.”

Jackson also had good things to say about Dallas pass rusher DeMarcus Ware, who has 12 sacks on the year.

“He’s a long guy, first of all,” Jackson said about Ware. “He’s got long arms, and that helps when you have those long arms being a pass rusher because you can kind of keep those guys off of you. And they won’t be able to extend on you and kind of lock you out.

“So he can get around the edge. He can bull rush you. He can pretty much do it all.”

Notes from practice
  1. Jackson may not be the best qb, but he’s honest and seems like a great locker room guy. He could easily (and quite frankly, fairly) lay some of the blame for 2-5 on his inept offensive line, his recievers with hard hands, and the lack of a legitimate running game. Oh, need I mention botched special teams plays smashing any hopes of a comeback?

I give the D a lot of the credit (if not all) for not being 0-7. Its sad, you hold a team to single digit points and lose the game.

2. Sarcasticus says:

“Jackson said during the no-huddle offense that he calls 60 to 80 percent of the plays, depending on how the offense is moving the ball and how much of a rhythm the offense is in.” So…Jackson is a better play caller than Bevell. My guess is Bevell chimes in with the draws and screen passes on third and long.

“Asked about the Cowboys’ defense giving up 34 points to the Eagles last week, and how the Seahawks can use that to their advantage, Jackson said it’s a new week.” These kinds of questions are just pointless. They might as well ask Chris Clemons, “Hey, the Cowboys scored 7 points last week against another team completely unlike yours. So, do you think you even need to practice this week?”

RADEoN – Agreed. He’s an easy guy to pull for. And regardless of results, it’s not for a lack of effort or desire. And there is no question much of the blame for this sputtering offense can be laid at the feet of the o-line. But, as QB and leader, he’s not about to do that despite taking an absolute beating so far this year.

Carpenter and Okung are going to have their hands full with Ware. They move him around a bit and he’s one of the very best pass-rushers in the game. So quick and agile and strong.

4. Tarvaris has done everything right from day 1 with the Hawks. Never complained when he was booed, or fans were chanting for his back-up. Always plays tough, takes plenty of hits. He’s not Aaron Rodgers, but he’s won me over as the best option for interim QB.

5. MikePDX says:

I’ve seen some leadership qualities in Jackson of late. Getting on guys last week for example. A leader takes responsibility and never looks to shift it to somewhere else. Jackson strikes me as more introverted and less charismatic than some leaders but it looks like he is tough mentally. There certainly is no lack of support from the coaches for this year which may be different for him than in the past. So it will be interesting to see how much he can make this his team over the rest of the season. He may be one of those solid guys that gains trust and respect over time. Some guys may not jump into the fray and be the natural leader but when they are called on to take the leadership role they can do it well. Perhaps Carroll was right earlier in the year in naming him the starter right off the bat in order to tell him, “hey you are our leader, go get it done.”

6. SandpointHawk says:

I like the guy, maybe not the QB I would have chosen but his attitude is great. Mans up and keeps working at it….

7. SeahawkFan12 says:

Eric, does Okung have any lingering effects from his injuries that are hampering him at all? I’d hoped that by now he’d be more established as a premier, dominant LT, but maybe I am being too optimistic, and I’m wondering if he’s got some injury issues that aren’t being discussed.

I’m impressed with the way Tarvaris handled this interview. If this is a look into the real Tarvaris (as a man, not just an athlete) then I have some crow to eat. I’ll admit I have openly disparaged him, and felt signing him was a huge gaffe on Scheider’s part, but he could establish himself as a solid leader and a mentor to the guy we draft next April. Is he as good a QB, leader or mentor as Hasselbeck? Not even close. But he’s light years ahead of Whitehurst, and he’s the best we’ve got for now.

8. I’m a TJ fan. Hope he succeeds in Seattle, but even if he doesn’t, I’ll be rooting for him for the rest of his career.

How funny would it be to go back 3 1/2 months and re-post some of the comments about Jackson, here. That worm has most certainly turned.

10. No doubt, Duke. He’s certainly winning us over.

11. “That worm has most certainly turned. ”

As you said earlier – it’s hard not to admire a guy who takes full ownership of the team’s losing record, casts no blame elsewhere, even when it’s fully deserved.

12. SeahawkFan12 says:

And I was one of the many posting not-so-nice comments about Tarvaris. And if I wasn’t posting it, I was saying out loud. And if I wasn’t saying it out loud I was thinking it. Good to see the “worm has turned”…(great line, Duke!)

13. “Good to see the “worm has turned”…(great line, Duke!) ”

I know what the expression means. But does anyone know where it comes from? Do worms turn?

14. piperfeltcher says:

I am alright with Jackson at QB while the Hawks fill other needs. Carpenter looks lost at RT and the more I watch him the more I see a guard. Hawks need a RB and a pass rushing DE more then I change at QB.

pdway – I don’t know the origin. But I presume it’s born out of the fact that worms are very slow and move in that constricting / unrestricting manner, and for one to change direction has to be very difficult and very time consuming. So when the “direction” regarding Jackson was so entrenched in one direction and has now seemingly come back the other way, the expression seemed appropriate, as I understand it. (That’s my explanation in any case.)

16. edstang45 says:

Actually you gotta love this guy, he’s alot better than expected. A dang good leader and very athletic. I love his arm strength, and he throws a good ball. If the recievers caught the balls they should and we had a better runnung game we could be 4-3 right now.
    His attitude is excellent I look for good things with this guy….forget QB in first round and get running back or a stud d-lineman

17. I was thinking that today at work. QB is the least of this teams worries. I’m glad carroll has stuck with tarvaris, and I genuinely regret wishing injury on him in the past.

I see no reason he couldn’t be the QB of the short term future, once the D finishes getting polished, (get another CB, DE and IMO LB) (also, I forgot about Wilkerson), the o-line should be gelled with carp at LG and gallery retired, maybe a speed back to eventually run with Lynch (Bit of a run on sentence), we’ll see how well tarvaris can perform. If it not up to par, draft high next draft, and IMO, jackson is a classy enough pro that I’d be proud to learn from him, if I were a rookie qb.

18. Hate to even say this name (Curry), but TJ handles himself so proffessionally that it’s hard to not draw comparisons to the polar opposite way they carry themselves.

I love when athletes are accountable and selfless and honest. Just like teaching a 5yo!

19. SandpointHawk says:

It comes from a very old proverb, “Tread on a worm and it will turn,” meaning that even the humblest creature (or person) will resent being badly treated and eventually revolt. The first written form of this adage yet found comes from 1546, and Shakespeare invoked it in his 1593 Henry VI, part II: “The smallest Worme will turne, being troden on.” The poet Robert Browning gave the sentiment a bit more pathos in his dramatic monologue “Mr. Sludge the ‘Medium'” in 1864: “Tread on a worm, it turns, sir! If I turn, Your fault!”

20. @sandpoint – i like it.

21. mojjonation says:

Honest. Mentally and physically tough. Refuses to throw people under the bus. Takes responsibility even if it isn’t his. Jim Mora could learn a thing or two from TJack. That being said, it is hard to determine if he could be a long term QB. Receivers with stone hands or are injured more than they play. An O-line that can’t run block to save itself. A D that will almost always keep you in a game and will probably win the field position battle. TJ had everything in Minnesota and couldn’t win with it. Not really sure why. But here he is, and here we are.

22. SandPoint you’re the resident forum genius.