Morning links: Thurmond’s time to shine

Post by Eric Williams on Oct. 19, 2011 at 7:08 am with 10 Comments »
October 19, 2011 7:08 am
Seahawks cornerback Walter Thurmond strips the football from New York Giants receiver Victor Cruz. (AP Photo/Julio Cortez)

Lost in the news that Marcus Trufant is done for the year on Monday was second-year pro Walter Thurmond getting his first opportunity to regularly start in his career.

The Seahawks had been grooming the University of Oregon product for this moment, and he appears up to the task.

Thurmond joins a young but talented secondary for Seattle that already has five interceptions on the year, and has given up just six passing touchdowns on the season, tied for fourth overall. Last season Seattle gave up 31 passing touchdowns, tied for third worst in the league.

“We know we’ve got playmakers back there, so it’s time for them to step up,” linebacker Leroy Hill said. “We’re all professionals here. So everybody’s ready to play, and we’ve just got to move on. It’s part of the game.”

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com takes a closer look at Seattle’s opponent this week, the Cleveland Browns.

Linebackers Leroy Hill, Malcolm Smith and Mike Morgan, along with linebackers coach Ken Norton Jr. visit a boxing club in White Center in West Seattle in this video link.

ESPN’s Mike Sando writes that the Seahawks were wise to pass on Carson Palmer after seeing the significant picks Oakland gave up in compensation to get him from Cincinnati through trade. The Seahawks showed some interest in Palmer during the offseason but were unwilling to give up enough significant picks through trade to bring him to Seattle.

Tony Grossi of the Cleveland Plain Dealer provides a scouting report on the Seahawks.

I talked with Nate Ulrich of the Akron Beacon Journal about the Seattle’s upcoming matchup with the Browns.

Morning links
  1. jarred767 says:

Thank God we didn’t give up the kind of picks Oakland parted with for a aging and injury prone QB who hasn’t really been any good for four years.

Do they even have any overseeing the decision-making process down there?

2. Palerydr says:

One thing I haven’t seen discussed yet is the Raiders are going to get compensation picks next year for Asoumghe, Miller and Gallery. I would guess a 3rd, 4th, and 7th. I agree it was too much compensation to give up if you are the Hawks or anybody else for an aging non mobile QB.

Colt McCoy is on pace to throw 694 times that would break the current record for pass attempts(691 Drew Bledsoe, New England, 1994) in a season. The Hawks young secondary is gonna be tested this weekend for sure. Getting Pressure on the QB is the first key to winning this game for me. That will lead to a couple of picks, a few sacka and hopefully a fumble or 2.

Pale – Good point on the comp picks. That helps their situation.

4. Palerydr says:

‘sacks geez how come the new look blog doesn’t come with an edit button.

Thx for the props Duke

5. StartCharlie says:

Since I get around to posting about every three years on this blog, a few housekeeping items:

On Duke, Pab, BobbyK: love the comments from those guys, they add some pretty good stuff to the blog on a regular basis

On ACIB: leave the man alone. Yes, he’s salty. But the man was right. Personally, I find ACIB’s commentary quite amusing. Remember, those old guys on the Muppet Show? Statler and Waldorf? Nothing but venom, but in their own way they added something to the show. Aaron Curry represented everything that had gone wrong with the organization, wrapped up in a $14 million package of disappointment.

E Dub: Love the blog, man. I swear I check this thing like three times a day. One question for you: is Zach Miller ever going to put up some numbers this year? He is KILLING me in my fantasy league.

As for the current topic: I’ve got faith in our secondary. They won’t be perfect, but they’ll do their part. The question that remains: can our offense put up enough points? Cleveland has only gone over 20 points one time this season (at Indy). I’m cautiously optimistic that we can. Our offense seems to be finding its identity. I think Charlie is our guy. He looked great in the preseason and simply got it done when it mattered last week. TJax is not the long term answer, but Charlie might be. The only way to know is to put him on the field!

Statler and Waldorf… Were those the two old men in the theater balcony? lol. Awesome reference.

I like our secondary as well. Aside from QB I don’t believe there is a position that takes more time to develop than corner. So in that regard, there will be growing pains for certain (i.e. Browner) but that’s to be expected. For me the exciting part is watching them learn from their mistakes and how they respond when beaten: like Thurmond against the Giants. Ended up playing a strong game despite letting receivers get in on him and not jamming effectively at the line, at times. So young back there. So talented. In two years time I’m confident they will be one of the stronger units in the league.

7. hawkfan777 says:

Statler and Waldorf. Man you have a good memory. I watched that show quite a bit as a kid and I would have never remembered their names. Incredible.

I am a little concerned about the secondary if I am being honest. Trufant made mistakes at times but he was still pretty solid. I watched the secondary closely especially in the Falcons and Giants games. Trufant did well in those games (until hurt). He is the most solid in man coverage. Browner tends to drift too far behind the receivers that he is covering. Thurmond should be good but he overpursues at times. He should be very solid with more experience. I am most concerned with who will play slot.

8. I’ve seen the compensatory picks that Oakland will receive discussed on many sites, like ESPN, Yahoo and NFL.com to name a few. Probably the same places you read about it.

I’m excited for Thurmond. He seems like a genuinely nice kid. I think he’ll be fine. His post-game interview last game was oozing with excitement and pride in himself. Another Hawk who’s easy to root for.

Are there any Hawks, now that Curry is gone, that you AREN’T happy to root for? Even though we’ve gotten away from Ruskell’s high character first, talent second philosophy, I feel like we have a group of great guys who are waaaay more talented. Kind of ironic. Even Leroy Hill is on his best behavior.

Now, for a quick website rant:

I love the 90′s, don’t get me wrong. I was born in the 80′s but I am really a child of the 90′s. That said, I don’t love the technology of the 90′s. This website would have been GREAT in the 90′s. It would have killed on an old PC with a dial up modem. But, it’s 2011.

Do we really need the page to change when we click on a link? Really? We aren’t past that yet? There’s a thing 99% of the world is using called “tabs.” They’re free!

Whoever is in charge of design for this page must be using a PC. They have to be. And that’s a shame. Apple rules in web design. Period.

As a graphic designer in charge of creative thought and design for major player, I actually find this site offensive.

This is the TNT! You should take pride in your presentation! To me, really, the content is the same regardless and it’s free so it’s no big deal – but I want readers from other cities and around WA to have a great impression of the TNT, and this site really feels, looks and acts ancient. Ancient equals cheap. Cheap doesn’t sell in this market.

My advice – Buy a Mac. Buy Creative Suite 5.5. Hire a pro. Increase ad revenue.

9. GriffinNW says:

With Trufant out, who is the oldest DB on our D? Browner? He’s what, 4 years into his professional career? Could be wrong, but either way, that is scary (in a very good way). Our guys have played pretty good for being so young, and they’re only going to get better!
    I can’t give enough props to JSPC. Was Chancellor drafted the same year as ET, but sat behind Milloy for a year? GROWING TOGETHER. Really important for this team. Love it love it love it.

10. Palerydr says:

@Carson actually I came up with that on my own however I have parroted information from other sources from time to time.