Trufant placed on IR, Jackson still in play for Sunday

Post by Eric Williams on Oct. 17, 2011 at 5:46 pm with 20 Comments »
October 17, 2011 5:47 pm

It was a pretty eventual Monday here at the VMAC. The big news is veteran cornerback Marcus Trufant has been placed on season-ending injured reserve with a back issue.

Trufant was initially diagnosed with a bruised sacrum, but Seattle head coach Pete Carroll said as team doctors checked him out further, they came to the realization that he was suffering from the same back disk problems that forced him to miss the first six weeks of the 2009 season.

“We’re just really disappointed for him,” Carroll said. “He’s the captain on our team, and just a beautiful kid, in our program and in the community and all of that. He’s going to miss this season that means so much to him and all of us, but it’s the right thing to do. We’ve got to take care of him. This is a reoccurring back situation. We didn’t realize this is really what happened before, so we’ve got to take care of them.”

Second year cornerback Walter Thurmond, who started for Trufant against the New York Giants two weeks ago, we’ll get the nod at cornerback opposite Brandon Browner.

“That’s where we’ll begin,” Carroll said about Thurmond being anointed the starter. “And the guys will be competing for playing time there, but Walter will jump in right now and assume that starting role.”

Carroll said that Trufant is trying to avoid surgery, as he did two years ago when he elected to rehab the same back issue that kept him out of the first six weeks of the 2009 season.

And Carroll said that Trufant is approaching the injury as if he will return to compete for a roster spot in training camp next year.

“We haven’t even talked about that yet,” Carroll said. “We’re just trying to get through the shock of what this is. But I would think that’s definitely on his mind.”

The Seahawks replaced Trufant on the active roster with defensive tackle Jason Shirley, a 6-foot-5, 345 pounder cut by Cincinnati who the Bengals tried to the convert to an offensive lineman. Shirley is the older brother of UW defensive lineman Josh Shirley. The stout defensive tackle played his college ball at Fresno State.

With Trufant out, linebacker Leroy Hill is not the only player on Seattle’s current roster that played on the 2005 Super Bowl team.

“I’m the last man standing,” joked Hill. “And I’m going to try and keep standing, too. But I feel good and everything. And losing another veteran, the other veterans have to step up.”

Seattle also signed running back Allen Bradford to replace Jameson Konz, and linebacker Stephen Franklin, a linebacker out of Southern Illinois released by Cincinnati during training camp. Franklin signed as an undrafted rookie free agent with the Bengals this year.

Carroll also provided a quick run down of the injuries heading into Wednesday.

* Quarterback Tarvaris Jackson has not been ruled out for Sundays’ game at Cleveland. Charlie Whitehurst took most of the reps with the first unit, while Josh Portis got a handful of reps with the starters and handled all of the scout team duties.

Jackson watched from the sidelines and played lightly tossed the football with some of the receivers.

Although Carroll did not rule out Jackson for Sunday, he’s approaching this week as if Whitehurst will be the starter.

* Carroll said tight end Zach Miller (neck) should practice on Wednesday, along with offensive guard Robert Gallery (groin).

* Center Max Unger was out of a walking boot for his right foot and walking around, but did not practice today. Carroll said he will be on the field with the team on Wednesday, but probably will not get any serious work in until Friday.

* Today is considered bonus Monday, an opportunity for the team to get an extra day of work in as they prepared for Cleveland this week. The Seahawks will resume their regular schedule by taking Tuesday off, and then practicing on Wednesday.

Players on the PUP list, including receiver Deon Butler, defensive back Roy Lewis and tight end Cameron Morrah or not eligible to begin practice until Wednesday, after the Monday night game, but Carroll said all three could be available to add to the active roster by Sunday depending on how they look at practice this week.

However, Carroll did mention that Lewis could be a candidate to play inside in nickel situations because it’s something he’s done well in the past, freeing up Thurmond to stay at corner in nickel situations. Lewis has been working out in pads the last, couple weeks in anticipation of getting back out on the field this week.

* Carroll also commented on the Jim Harbaugh-Jim Schwartz confrontation at midfield after the game.

“It looked like a hearty greeting to me,” Carroll said. “That’s all I’ve got to say about that.”

* The Seahawks also tried Jarriel King at left guard with the second unit today. King was considered an offensive tackle coming in, but Carroll said they are moving him around to try and find a home for him.

“Obviously he’s miles behind us in learning the development of what we’re trying to do,” Carroll said. “But physically he looks very capable, and we’re real excited about him adding into it. We feel like we picked up a draft pick in him.”

Notes from practice
  1. Soggybuc says:

Hate to say it but Tru needs to hang’em before he leaves himself a cripple. love the man and his play but it aint worth the rest of your days!

2. jarred767 says:

Wow, can this defense get any younger??? I guess it means that guys like Thurmond get extra practice in hopes to really be ready next year when expectations will be much higher, but wow!!

Really tough for Tru, he seems like such a great guy and a really good guy in the community. I wonder if we have seen his last days in a Seahawk uniform? How old is he? Is it realistic for him to make a return next year, and if so, would it he be more of a depth guy than a starter?

It will be interesting to watch our young DB’s (WT3, Thomas, Kam, and Browner) really gel playing together the rest of the way. While it’s tough news to hear, this could be an added benefit for next year.

3. ToddSchneider says:

“It looked like a hearty greeting to me”, I actually laughed out loud when I read that line. It would be very interesting to hear what Pete REALLY thinks!

4. bulldog80 says:

Wo! IR? Am I the only one suspecting that Trufant has played his last game as a Seahawk?

If anyone had told me that of all of the Holmgren era players it would be Hill still on the roster I’d have called you crazy.

5. bulldog80 says:

I guess I’m not the only one suspecting that. For some reason the other posts didn’t show until after I posted mine.

6. AaronCurryIsBUST says:

Poor Trufant. Great player in his prime and a great person.

ACIB- I give you my vote for best post of the day! When he was healthy Trufant was one of the best,(imo).

Tru is a great guy and a full effort player but I can’t say he is / was great, at his best. He was very, very good, but his window really was pretty small. From mid-season ’06 through the ’07 season he played at a high level, no question. But bookending that is a lot of suspect play. Now, whether we want to blame a terrible surrounding cast on defense, an inept offense or injury for that is another question and another discussion.

Regardless, it’s always a shame to see a career potentially come to an end this way. Especially for a local kid, and as been said, a great person – someone who genuinely gave back to the community.

9. If Unger can’t go next Sunday, does Jeanpierre start at C? And is he the only backup C?

10. wow, you guys really think the worst of every situation. doom & gloom
    it could be the end for Tru but to immediately think that?
    talk about glass half empty.

11. Discs are tricky things. We might not have seen the last of the Truf, but it sure seems unlikely he’ll ever play a 16 game season again.

“Defense getting younger” is right! Between our young LBs and our young CBs and our young Safeties, Cleveland will have a fun time game planning for next week.

12. Jason Shirley, a 6-foot-5, 345 pounder cut by Cincinnati

Is there some connection between our D coaches and Bengals staff? This is the second D lineman we’ve signed off Cincy’s roster.

13. boucherm says:

mocarob–I think that there is plenty of speculation this would be his last year as a Hawk even without this injury, based on his current contract and the youth movement we’ve been seeing.

Tru is one of my all-time favorite Seahawks, still my Hawk’s jersey, and I liked the year he’s been having so far. I think he still has some gas in the tank and hope he can get right medically. He’s going to have to rework his contract again if he’s going to stay–earlier this year he took a paycut for this season, but they didn’t change the next two, which are for real, real big money. I thought it was pretty odd that they didn’t adjust those years, as well, or shorten the deal down to 1 year as they have with a bunch of others guys. I doubt that the front office plans for him to be around next year.

14. PugetHawk says:

Didn’t they re-structure his contract before the year so that if his price tag stayed too high they could cut him after this season?
    Between that and the back injury, which is always a concern for any player let alone a 30+ cornerback, he may be gone after the season’s over or come back with a one year deal for a few million.

15. SandpointHawk says:

Anyone who thought Tru had a future in Seattle after this season needs to take the blinders off. I would also suggest that if he hadn’t raised his level of play in camp against Sidney Rice he would have been gone already. I believe we have seen the last game for Tru as a Seahawk. Loved the guy, hate to see him hurt, but the writing was on the wall…IMO

16. Stevos: Lemuel Jeanpierre is working with the starters at center, and Brent Osborne is working at center with the scout squad.

17. Tru could possibly come back next year but, not under his current contract. As I understand it, they really only changed his contract for this year so that he could make the money he was originally slated to make but that he would have to earn it through incentives. Even though he was playing pretty well this year I thought, he wasn’t going to come back next year for his cap number unless he really blew it up the last 11 weeks and made a Pro Bowl. I hope he can make it back. I was actually friends with him from K-3 and he seems like a good piece for this team. Not 10 mil good, but good. The thing that makes it hard to predict is that they are vague about his injury. If it is just a bulging disk, then I believe he could contribute next year. I have had one before and they suck but, with PT mine has gotten pretty much back to 100 %. Granted I don’t have to go out and play professional football. If it is a herniated disk, where the Anulus Fibrosus, the cartilaginous band that surrounds the intervertebral disks, breaks apart and the Nucleus Pulposus, the fibrocartilage inside the disk, oozes out and exerts pressure on the spinal nerves then he may need surgery and next year is very much in doubt. I hope the best for him.

18. Ah man, that’s a big loss for us. He was having a good year, and you just have to have at least a few guys in there who have been in the league awhile, and he was the only one in the defensive backfield.

Bad news. Damn.

19. So sorry about Tru. He was playing his butt off this year and this is probably the end.

20. yellaman says:

Well if any position could handle a an injury it is CB- Trufant I hope you get healthy and maybe see you next year. But the Hawks have alot of young CB that they can plug in and with Roy Lewis back it helps with Tru out. I’m curious about Butler & Morrah. I don’t know how they get butler on the roster with so many good WR’s and Morrah I would like to see him on the roster and push McCoy for playing time. McCoy didn’t play well in NY 2 weeks ago.