Quick notes from Pete

Post by Dave Boling / The News Tribune on Oct. 10, 2011 at 3:54 pm with 36 Comments »
October 10, 2011 3:54 pm

Pete Carroll was vague about the prognosis for Tarvaris Jackson. MRI revealed a “high-grade spain” of the right pectoral muscle. He would not set a time frame for his return. “I’m gonna wait.”

The Hawks will practice Tuesday and Wednesday and then have off through Sunday for a timely bye week.

He said there is no controversy between Jackson and Charlie Whitehurst for the starting quarterback situation. “In the event he can’t play, Charlie’s ready to go.” As it stands, he would be fine with rookie Josh Portis backing up Whitehurst if necessary.

Carroll said he’s received no results on the MRI of tight end Zach Miller’s neck. Leroy Hill had a mild hamstring injury. A more serious injury is the knee of linebacker Jameson Konz, who will need surgery to repair an ACL tear. Cornerback Marcus Trufant had an MRI of his back but Carroll said he did not have results. Running back Marshawn Lynch, he said, reinjured an ankle. He continued to play, but is expected to rest this week.

The thing he liked best from the win over the Giants was that the Hawks were able to run the ball and “create the balance we needed.” But then he added another “single most important thing.” It was the attitude and aggressiveness, he said, which reminded him of the team’s play at home.

Carroll said that there were a “lot of things in this game that were regrettable” … citing the penalties, turnovers and injury to Jackson. “We overcame all that stuff.”

Of the bye week? “Boy we need a break right now,” Carroll said. “We have a bunch of guys who need the rest … coaches included.”

1. High grade sprain? Wow not only is Pete Vague bit he’s making stuff up. Perhaps he meant strain. However, that’s a very odd injury from the type of impact Tavaras took. A strain is usually from overuse or movement based injury while flexed. Granted it forced the pectoral muscle to be stretched from a natural position while most likely flexed… That mechanism of IMPACT to cause a strain would be so severe that I would be worried about structural damage to ligaments in the shoulder….. If it is indeed a “strain” i don’t see how there is NOT a tear in his pectoral muscle..

Regardless if I were to put money down I would think that Charlie will get the next start.

Optimistic by Pete or a smokescreen to keep our next opponent more honest in their gameplan. Let’s face it Tavaris and Charlie are 2 different quarterbacks as Tate and Baldwin are 2 different slot receivers. And lets just say I favor given ability rather than potential.

2. By the way, the play he got hurt on was a really dumb playcall and / or execution by TJ.

3. Agreed.. Maybe a little bit of both.

4. raymaines says:

I miss Mike Holmgren at times like this

5. BobbyAyala says:

He said strain in the presser.

6. chuck_easton says:

I will go with poor execution by Jackson. It was 1st down and he was at or near the marker before the tackle.

Memo to Jackson…it’s called a hook slide and when you do it the defensive players can’t hit you.

7. AaronCurryIsBUST says:

It was poor finishing. TJack made a great fake and ran uninterrupted, but he definitely should have slid. Totally exposed himself to danger and is now suffering as a result.

Meh I am a bigger Whitehurst fan by far anyway.

8. Tarvaris Jackson has a higher QB rating than Mark Sanchez, Joe Flacco, Matt Ryan, and Sam Bradford, and about the same as Cam Newton. So much for the idea that drafting a quarterback in the first round is what really matters.

9. I don’t think the Seahawks will have a big drop-off in offense if Charlie Whitehurst starts against Cleveland. That said, I can’t understand why anyone would be “a Whitehurst fan”. Whitehurst’s starts last year were two of the most conservative, boring offensive Seahawks games of the year. He’s not bad, he’s a competent play-it-safe quarterback, but what is there to be a fan of?

Heal up soon, TJack! You’re tougher, more athletic, more exciting to watch, and more competitive than Charlie Whitehurst.

Actually, if TJack can’t start, I’d have more fun watching Josh Portis.

10. AaronCurryIsBUST says:

“Tarvaris Jackson has a higher QB rating than Mark Sanchez, Joe Flacco, Matt Ryan, and Sam Bradford, and about the same as Cam Newton. So much for the idea that drafting a quarterback in the first round is what really matters.”"

11. MadSweeney42 says:

Audible,

It was a great playcall, it was stupid execution for not being situationally aware and knowing that 2nd and 1 is ok. Slide TJ, SLIDE!

12. I’m hoping for a speedy recovery by Tjack as well. Charlie is a great back-up, but until he beats out Tjack, he should stay as a reserve. From Game 1 to Game 5, Tjack improved as has the offense in general. Whereas in the past I may have been ‘ok’ with getting luck by losing, after yesterday I feel otherwise.

I think the team is making great strides and is definitely moving in the right direction. At present status, the PC offense calls for a tall, lanky athletic (younger) QB’s to manage the offense. When you consider all the tall receivers we have, a stable of rb’s and a young, a quickly developing offensive line, they (the QB’s) have to make quick decisions or know when to tuck and run. It’s pretty simple and we happen to have 2 that are very capable with Tjack having a considerable edge (especially when you consider his total overall time spent in this Bevell led offense).

I like Charlie, I really do, but Tjack has been impressive in his steady growth. The line has mirrored his success. Rice has made a big difference, but Baldwin really is the HERO. Who would’ve thunk it?

I now want the team to continue to improve and grow their competitiveness. I think they can still win the West if the Niners are who they’re chasing. I can possibly imagine Alex Smith being steady enough for an entire 16 game season. As far as future draft picks (with such easy disregard by some contributors here for this present season, I don’t quite understand), I want the same thing that I do every year and select Best Player Available. I think teams too often select need over talent and it usually ends up being a mistake. PC and Schneider are shear geniuses when it comes to evaluating talent, just glance at their current roster.

IF we happen to get a Barkley or Landry Jones or some QB other than Luck that is worth a damn…great. If not, who cares. The QB’s we presently have will be no worse than any of those 2nd tier draftees, so why not select the BPA that magically falls to us?

As a Die Hard Lifelong Seahawk Fan, I think that our organization is in as healthy shape as it’s ever been (short term and long term). Stay focused on the positive, watch these young smart passion athletes come together with this all star staff and good things are right around the corner…I swear.

Debbie Downers go home.

And as always…GO HAWKS!

13. At the moment, Rob Rang is guessing that the Seahawks will draft at #5 and draft Matt Barkley. I don’t think we will draft that high, but I’d consider that a huge win, for two reasons.

First, Barkley passed for 4 TDs, 482 yards, and 82% completions last week. I’ll take any QB who can do that, give him great coaching like TJack is getting right now, and he’ll be good enough to win in the NFL.

Second, not picking first in the draft means our entire team does not suck. The team that drafts Andrew Luck will be a team that completely sucks and needs rebuilding top-to-bottom. They will experience years of losing with Andrew Luck at the helm until/unless they rebuild. I’d rather that not be us. You can’t be a good team on the rise AND draft first, so I’d rather not draft first.

14. boucherm says:

Stevos-I’m watching monday night football as I read your last post, and this Lions team that is looking pretty good and fun to watch picked first just 2 years ago. Their #1 pick QB is looking allright.

15. It is a shame the TJack haters are unwilling to give him credit for his high level of play. It is easy to second guess whether he should have taken a slide or not, but the man is a competitor giving his all. When Hass would run it was considered to give the team a lift, but when Jackson runs, it is a poor decision? Where is the logic or fairness in that?

16. This team is so schizoid I’m giving up on predictions. Common sense says the injuries are going to be a big deal, but common sense also said we’d be blown out by NY.

17. chuck_easton says:

Ammac

The run was fine. In fact it was the called play.

The problem with the execution was at the end. It’s first down and Jackson had ready gained 9+ yards. There was no reason to dive head first into two defenders. Now if was 4th or even 3rd down by all means go for the first down.

But on 1st down every NFL QB is taught to get as many yards as possible but get down before the hit.

18. ACIB, another in your LONG line of DELUSIONAL posts MORON. Just go away already. Every one of your posts is as dumb as your mom’s decision to NOT abort you. Yeah, Mark Sanchez, Joe Flacco, Matt Ryan and Sam Bradford are ALL GARBAGE!!!! LOL. You must be confused. GARBAGE is what you write on this blog.

19. ‘m hoping for a speedy recovery by Tjack as well. Charlie is a great back-up, but until he beats out Tjack, he should stay as a reserve.

Whitehurst was never given a chance to beat out Tjack – so your point is irrelevant. The day they signed him he was named the starter – no competition. I still find it funny that what PC and JS claim Minnesota did to tjack they are handing to Charlie 2 fold in return.

From Game 1 to Game 5, Tjack improved as has the offense in general . . . .but Tjack has been impressive in his steady growth

I would argue that all of Tjack “growth” is from the players around him getting better not him – he knows this offense so there was ZERO learning curve with that – he could spend the whole time learning players not plays. unlike everyone else on the squad.

I don’t care who starts – I still believe they are both good back-ups and/or adequate starters. gonna have good games and bad ones. Not sure that TJ is better than CW because there has never been a competition.

such is life -

20. Watching MNF tonight and I am thankful for 2 OL draft picks – Chicago looks HORRID across the line!!!

and Lawrence Jackson looks like he can actually play football

21. natedog – we get the point, you’re constant unfair criticism of ACIB is more repetitive than ACIB’s posts. To say anyone should have been aborted is both distasteful and wrong, there are somethings that should not be thought, let alone said on a public forum.

All that said – GO HAWKS – We all support the same team here!!!!!

22. Does anyone else have that feeling in the back of your mind that if TJax can’t go, they’d prefer to see Josh Portis get a shot?

For me personally, I would prefer to see if we had a gamer in Portis going into next season – Whitehurst is in his last year of his contract anyway – and Portis’ makeup is very similar to TJax anyway.

Lets see what the Rook can do before counting him out as another project that never get’s his shot as a starting NFL QB. At least get him some reps in practise and make Charlie comPete!?

And NO – I am not trying to Suck for Luck, I just hate seeing all these undrafted players that never get their shot, imagine if no team gave Baldwin his shot and he just sat on the practise squad for 2 years!!!! QB’s especially seem to be entrenched into 1st choice, 2nd or 3rd. Why not give the guy a shot to show what he’s got?

23. nidhighe says:

TJack brings an energy to the offense that was lacking when Whitehurst came in. Even last year, the same was true of Whitehurst even when he had a week of practice before a game.

24. surelyyoujest says:

“Just because those QBs outside of Newton happen to be garbage doesn’t mean 1st round picks aren’t where the best QBs are found . ”

Ryan, Flacco & Bradford are all garbage ? Wow. And we were going to get our a$$es handed to us in NY right ? Guess not.

25. “Some members use the blog to vent their frustrations, we know ACIB has an agenda – and an understandable one given Curry’s poor play. But your agenda seems to be deliberately harmful posts directed at an individual poster.

Ignore the posts you don’t like and move on to well thought out posts, and real discussions. Not generating arguements – you’re only making this blog worse for the majority of us that come to this site for insightful reading.”

Hey Oakley, why don’t you take your own advice you freaking moron. If you don’t like what I write then you can “Ignore the posts”, right? Or are you too stupid to realize you contradicted your self in your own post? I come here for thoughtful arguments as well. That’s why I hold ACIB’s garbage up to the light of day every time he posts it. There are plenty of moronfest blogs out there for him to “vent” on. I would have no problem with him going off on Curry if he had ANYTHING else to contribute. Curry is garbage but, there are other players on the team. If I wanted to hear AC is a bust repeated over and over again I would buy a parrot. He never has ANYTHING POSITIVE to say. Why even be a fan of the Seahawks if all you’re going to do is look for everything negative and pessimistic about them that you can find? There are plenty of other posters on here that call his BS out as well. Lots of us don’t want or need him here. He has the right to post here as much as he wants, as long as the TNT allows it, but we also have the right to call out his garbage as well. If you don’t like it then you can go cry about it. Oh and by the way, if you don’t like my abortion comment then you can go f&%k yourself. I already have a mom but, thanks for trying to be my second one. We are all adults here. Grow up. Nobody cares about your moral opinions. We have a 1st amendment. Look it up.

And if insightful debate is what you’re after, then explain why we would want to throw Josh Portis to the wolves when he’s not ready? He has a lot of talent, promise but, throwing him out there to fail before he is ready is a good way to quash that promise. He won’t be ready to start an NFL game for a couple of years, if ever.

26. OakleyD,

Also please point out how my criticism of ACIB is “unfair”. He doesn’t constantly parrot the same garbage over and over that NOBODY here argues with him about? He ever posts anything POSITIVE? You agree that “Sanchez, Flacco, Ryan and Bradford are all garbage”??????? Pray tell.

27. ChrisHolmes says:

“Second, not picking first in the draft means our entire team does not suck. The team that drafts Andrew Luck will be a team that completely sucks and needs rebuilding top-to-bottom. ”

Not entirely true Stevos.

Say, for instance, Carolina sucks enough to get the first pick in the draft again, but Cam Newton continues to light it up all year. Are they taking Luck?

Not even.

It doesn’t matter so much where we pick. What matters is that the teams IN FRONT OF US need a QB or not. There’s several teams that could have worse records than us that have drafted QB’s in the last two seasons. If Dalton continues to improve but the Bengals pick in front of us, they are not taking Luck.

I’m confident we still have a shot at Luck because of who will be in front of us. Actually, the only team I’m really worried about at the moment is Indianapolis… Because with Manning’s neck I can see them taking Luck and sitting him for a couple years like Green Bay did with Rogers.

Luck is going to be a rare, rare talent in the NFL. We really need to get our hands on him.

28. confucious says:

I can possibly see T-Jack as a long term quarterback. He seems to recognize defenses well. He is making pretty good decisions as far as going through progressions and finding the open reciever. That is where I think that Charlie struggles, He gets locked on. When T-Jack throws hard he is very good. When he is unsure and lobs the ball like he did a few time against the Giants, watch out. I will be interested to see what shakes out by the end of the season. Who knows, we may be drafting a corner with our high pick instead of qb.

Rewatching the game, two things really stood out to me: First, the d line really handled their o line. That’s the best I’ve seen a Seattle defensive front look in a very long time. I thought Mebane was especially disruptive. More of that please.

And the other was how both Browner and especially Thurmond, continued to battle despite looking very bad at times. Gives me a good sence he is able to quickly learn from his mistakes.

30. confucious says:

Agreed on Browner, He has got to figure out how long to stay engaged with the bump and run. He has potential.

31. I thought that Thurmond played exceptionally well, especially since it was his first start of the season. With the rules in the NFL now, every corner is going to get beat sometimes. You can hardly breathe on a receiver without getting flagged. Of the two times I remember him getting obviously beat, I don’t think his coverage was all that bad on either play. On the TD to Nicks at the end of the first half, my only complaint would be that he could’ve swung his head around a little quicker and he MIGHT have had a play on the ball. Great receiver and an even better throw, almost indefensible. The other was the 40 yard throw where Cruz reached out and shoe-stringed the ball. Coverage could’ve been better but it was a hell of a catch.

32. Also, Thurmond kept Cruz from pulling in the ball that led to our winning INT return, hit Cruz after he tipped the ball and started the ping pong to Browner.

33. I must not be watching the same games as everyone else. While Tjack is improved (more so the people around him improved and not him) I am still concerned with the following things if we ever want to be consistently play off relevant with him at QB.

1. Doesn’t sense pressure well and when he does he runs to the pressure and not away from it.

2. He reads defenses slowly and many times does not get rid of the ball in a timely manner (there were 2 times on Sunday where is the NYG defense had made an average play they would have had easy picks and one possible a pick 6)

3. Throws the ball high a lot – not always but enough that when we start playing a playoff schedule and games the defenses are going to make us pay – possibly painfully

34. guywhothinksheknowsitall says:

“high-grade spain”

Wow that has to hurt having a country inside your body!

35. ChrisHolmes says:

@xcman Don’t worry man, you’re not the only one seeing it…

This message board is filled with serious blind-love fanboys. I love the Seahawks as much as anyone, but I am not blind…

Jackson is never going to be a quality starter in the NFL, let alone a guy who can lead you to a superbowl. He’s inaccurate, his pocket presence stinks and he processes plays slowly.

I actually think we have some really great young talent. I can’t imagine how much better this team might perform with a quality QB under center like Aaron Rogers or Drew Breeze.

Imagine this team in two years if we draft Luck…

36. natedog – no problems with people asking ACIB to cool it and change the record whatsoever. You just can’t say things like, he/she should have been aborted. Certain comments just cross that line and add nothing to the blog. A comment like that had to be challenged because it has no place on a blog like this – some things can’t be ignored.

I read some of your posts on this blog and fieldgulls and you have some interesting things to say – no need for personal attacks in my opinion.

Sorry for the late reply, bit of a time lag to you guys as I an from UK.

P.S: i WOULD GIVE MY LEFT TESTICLE TO HAVE Sanchez, Flacco, Ryan or Bradford over TJax. Just coz I defended ACIB, doesn’t mean I agree with everything he/she says!