Seahawks beat Giants in wild game, 36-25

Post by Darrin Beene / The News Tribune on Oct. 9, 2011 at 1:29 pm with 54 Comments »
October 9, 2011 1:30 pm

Well, that game today was something. The Seahawks’ 36-25 victory over the New York Giants at MetLife Stadium had a little bit of everything.

So what do you want to talk about?

How about that amazing finish? Victor Cruz, who had been a thorn in the side of the Seahawks all day, bobbled a reception that led to the crucial interception and return for a touchdown by Brandon Browner?

How about the huge game by Seahawks receiver Doug Baldwin – eight catches, 136 yards and a 27-yard TD reception?

Or the incredible performance by Cruz until that critical mistake? The Giants receiver had an amazing one-handed grab over two Seahawks for a 68-yard touchdown and another shoestring, finger-tip catch late in the game for a 41-yard gain?

Or the impressive offense by the Seahawks under both their quarterbacks because of  a third quarter injury to quarterback Tarvaris Jackson, that led to the first appearance of the season by Charlie Whitehurst?

Or the appearance of a running game by the Seahawks? Marshawn Lynch ran for a season-high 98 yards, including a 47-yarder that set up a TD in the first half?

Or the sloppy, crazy play? The teams combined for eight turnovers and 31 points in the fourth quarter?

The one thing that’s sure to have everyone talking is the status of Jackson and what the situation is with the team’s quarterbacks.

Jackson was knocked out with an injury in the third quarter after running for a first down. He had led the Seahawks to their best first quarter of the season as the team scored 14 points.

Jackson finished 15 of 22 for 166 yards and a touchdown pass to Ben Obomanu, an 11-yarder on the Seahawks opening possession. But thanks to a TD by the Giants on the first half’s last possession, the teams entered the half tied at 14.

Whitehurst came in and played well, leading a go-ahead TD drive. He completed 11 of 19 passes for 149 yards and surely added fuel to the “play Charlie” fans out there.

Stay tuned. Eric will be back with more later on the Seahawks’ rare win on the East Coast.

1. fivecardstud says:

Now that’s what an NFL team should play. The Hawks looked like an NFL team today. I don’t know what they did but it was right. They won against a pretty darn good team too.

2. fivecardstud says:

Sorry, I meant Now that’s how an NFL team should play.

3. It still really bothers me that we have sooo many penalties. There is no excuse for sloppy play at this point – even without training camp.

I did not expect this win AT ALL. but love it. The key in my opinion was the defense actually being able to get off the field on 3rd downs. This was the first time in a LONG time that we consistently did that all day – especially on an east coast road game.

Don’t forget Cruz also fumbled the ball after a Thurmond hit earlier in the game! so 2 key turnovers by Cruz.

I hope this can be a real confidence builder for the team! It had better be they earned it!

4. OakleyD says:

Curry’s mistakes were amplified because every Hawks fan is watching him through a magnifying glass. But he was almost invisable given the strong play of our Defense. The only time he showed up was when there were breakdowns in coverage!

5. mike98541 says:

great win!!! the work week just got a little sweeter!! GO HAWKS!! now for the bad part, Curry needs to go. he cant cover, he cant tackle, and I doubt we could trade him for anything less then a 5 or 6th rd pick. I dont know that we could even trade him. if it wasnt for all the injuries at LB id say we just cut him.

The Seahawks are now on noticice to the rest of the league! If we do not lose the turnover battle, then we will kick your butts!

7. Ewalters7354 says:

We really could have won big.But I’m happy with the win.Always compete baby!

8. OakleyD says:

Will be interesting to see if ClipboardJesus can put a good game together with some snaps with the 1st unit in practise. Having said that, I hope JTax injury isn’t too serious, he’s starting to get some momentum. Happy with the performance, but lots of questions still to be answered!

9. OakleyD says:

P.S. I have an official mancrush on Doug Baldwin now!!!

10. We were the better team today and totally deserved to win. I thought it might be another one of those that we would lose on the breaks going against us – but things evened out, as is only fair . . .

The defense gave up a ton of yards, but were really tough when we needed them to be – they hung in despite all those turnovers by the offense. That’s a great win, and an east coast win against a decent team? Pretty much unheard of in recent hawks history.

Feel bad for Jackson, he was playing a good game. And Baldwin? Steal of the year. What a find.

Great game. and the thing about winning early on Sunday? makes the rest of the day viewing feel like your playing with house money.

11. nidhighe says:

It looked like the defense was going to choke as the Giants moved down the field with ease, and then Browner stepped up and sealed the win.

Whitehurst played solidly, but I still don’t see him as noticeably better than Jackson. If Jackson’s healthy, he should start.

Baldwin continues to impress. How did this kid not get drafted?

The O-line seemed to regress at times this game, and losing Okung and Moffitt is worrying. Hopefully, they’ll both be ready for the next game.

Great win!

12. one question – Zach never came back after that hard hit to the head, did he?

13. bird_spit says:

Doug Baldwin! That secret weapon is no longer secret. Did Mike Williams even play?

Curry was a joke out there.

14. SeahawkFan12 says:

WOW, I was rooting my wife on as she ran her first marathon today, and caught only the last 5 minutes of the game. WHAT A FINISH! Glad to see the D come up big when it mattered. Charlie looked pretty good, from what I saw. Nice win!

15. williambryan says:

Oh yeah baby! Haven’t got to celebrate like that in a while. It was nice. Going to enjoy it! I have been on the Charlie bandwagon all along and still am, however if Jackson is OK and Carroll goes back to him, I won’t lose my mind. But I still prefer Whitehurst

16. really great win by the hawks, but they should have won by a lot more. They made some huge mistakes.

What I really want to know: How bad are Okung, Moffit and T Jax hurt?

17. thursday says:

Well, let’s see…

1.we NEED to stop getting penalties on kick returns and punts. it’s beyond ridiculous.

2.i hope jackson isn’t seriously injured. never thought i’d say that, but i have never liked charlie and his play was still spotty at times. jackson was just getting good.

3.i love/hate how this was won in the typical seahawks way of a narrow escape. if that ball wasn’t bobbled and eventually caught by browner, it likely would have been a touchdown and a giants win.

go seahawks

18. MadSweeney42 says:

Whitehurst was unimpressive but that’s understandable without a lot of 1st team reps. Still, he was up to his old tricks of locking onto 1 target. Aikman even called what receiver would be open but CW didn’t take his eyes off Rice(?).

Curry, two really bad plays right out in the open, showcasing why he was benched.

Every game I think it’ll be ok, and actually more advantageous, to lose and as long as we play well I’d be happy. Then the game starts and all thoughts go out the window as I start screaming, jumping, gnawing fingertips etc… But I think this one needed to be won. Coming back against Atlanta but falling short was fine because it showed the team they could overcome a deficit. With all the mistakes both teams made today, I think the better play was to overcome them and get the confidence of a win and not go into the bye with two tough losses that were near wins and 2 weeks to think about it.

Pete’s got some learning to do as well. Lynch is in Beast Mode and you feed Robinson 3 times in a row? Not calling TOs before the Cruz tip. BTW, that dude was awesome today and damn near had that pass after he slipped. Minor point Eric, but I wouldn’t call that a mistake on Cruz’ part. He slipped.

Here’s the real deal though. Who isn’t going to be healthy for the next game?

Miller
    Jackson
    Okung
    Lynch
    Trufant
    Williams
    Moffit
    Hill

Did I miss anyone?

19. DisplacedSeahawkFan says:

This win feels great.

Here’s a comment from a Giant fan from a message board I belong to.

Im a Giants fan and a huge Eli knocker. but the whole team is to blame; its not all on Eli. he made some stupid decisions today. even w/ jacobs & tuck out, our run D again was ass, our O line was ASS…we just ****** lost to Seattle with their backup qb playin in da 2nd half. tavaris jackson was carvin our D up, da amount of TOs they had that we couldnt capitalize on….we lucky we didnt lose by another 2 tds at least. ****** shameful. its unfortunate that it ended w/ the Cruz slip, but it shouldnt have even gotten to that point. this was da ****** seahawks.

Seahawks still get no respect, lol!

20. MadSweeney42 says:

Forgot about penalties. Gotta fix that. Guys are young, but still, it needs to improve greatly.

21. MadSweeney42 says:

Displaced,

The Seahawks haven’t earned much respect yet. It isn’t given. Today’s game was sloppy and quite frankly, it was a lucky win that came down to one slip by a WR. Respect will come, but you can’t get it until you earn it.

22. DisplacedSeahawkFan says:

MadSweeney42,

We have a bye week next. I wouldn’t be surprised if everyone on your list was healthy for the Browns game in week 7

23. rynehawk says:

2 scary things upon returning from the bar.

1) I want to say the Seahawks kind of dominated that game. They seemed like the better team from the get go. They made mistakes, but it felt like they should have won by a lot more than they did.

2) Tavaris Jackson got injured and I said “Oh, that sucks!”. I have given TJ all kinds of flack but I have to admit it’s 2 straight games he looked really good, and even though CW came through in the end there was definitely a point there where the offense seemed to take a step back.

Add in sitting next to a couple of Giants fans at the bar, and it was a pretty good day all around! :)

24. DisplacedSeahawkFan says:

Today was pretty good. It would have been Great if Matt and the Titans beat Pittsburgh.

25. nidhighe says:

“Here’s a comment from a Giant fan from a message board I belong to.”

It’s hard to take someone seriously when they spell ‘the’ as ‘da’. :D

26. Soggybuc says:

Good teams over come and that is what the Hawks did today!!! but still a work in progress that showed what we will get to soon.

Baldwin and Cruz are super stars in the making. Baldwin won the game for us and Cruz Damn near brought the Giants back! was a nice preview of the future.

I loved Browners Interception, made up for all the imho BS calls on him

27. MadSweeney42 says:

Displaced,

Without any word about what their ailments are, I can’t imagine that at least 2 of them won’t be out. Forgot to add Gallery to that list.

28. Soggybuc says:

And how about we give the love deserved to Alan Branch! Bradshaw meet ball, Bradshaw meet Alan, Bradshaw meet end zone turf! scoreboard meet 2 points!

29. AaronCurryIsBUST says:

CUT AARON CURRY ALREADY OMFG! HE IS LITERALLY THE WEAKEST LINK ON DEFENSE!

30. nidhighe says:

Wasn’t it Hargrove who made the safety, not Branch?

31. AaronCurryIsBUST says:

Notice how NYG offense starts picking up as soon as Hill is injured and replaced by BUST CURRY, a WALKING TARGET for opposing offenses! BIGGEST BUST in Seahawks history!!!!!!!

32. AaronCurryIsBUST says:

Yeah Hargrove had the safety. Branch had a sack.

33. MadSweeney42 says:

ACiB,

You’re a waste of space and time. Leave off, WE GET IT! He’s a backup, and a needed one at that considering Hill’s injury history. I feel dumber every time I read one of your useless posts.

34. MadSweeney42 says:

Read over on PFT that Jackson’s injury is a pect, not a shoulder and “early indications” is that he’ll be fine.

35. bird_spit says:

ACIB..ACIB..ACIB
    And BTW, Aaron Curry is a bust.

36. royboy361 says:

I thought it was a great game. Sure some mistakes were made but the game was a huge step forward for the Seahawks. I don’t think anyone gave them a chance and yet they kept finding ways to win. I personally don’t have a preference between our two quarterbacks. I think we’re lucky to have 2 very competent quarterbacks on our team. We can only hope when they take the field in 2 weeks they will be able to pick up where they left off. If they can then we had better get a bigger bandwagon.

37. MadSweeney42 says:

Royboy,

I agree, whoever is at QB doesn’t matter. Neither one of them will be the starter after the bye week next year. They’re just in there to take a pounding while the young OL learns the NFL game. That’s why I laughed at all the fans (not necessarily here, everywhere) clamoring about TJ getting the starting gig, keeping it after poor games early in the season. I don’t care who’s in there. They’re irrelevant, temporary and 1st on the list of positions to upgrade next year.

38. IBGoofy says:

I honestly feel we outplayed them today…. I was really pixxed when cruz made the catch on the Kam breakup…. Announcers giving Cruz cuddoes like crazy while I’m ticked we get a pass breakup and it goes right back on the rec’rs side!
    My wife could easily hear my unhappiness about us seemingly not getting a fair amount of breaks….. Mr Browner’s game changer was also picked up by Her, in the form of “YES’s” all through the house…. LOL!!
    …… Hat’s off to PC & staff…. Nice Job!

39. DisplacedSeahawkFan says:

I’m still convinced the reason ACIB hates Aaron Curry so much is Aaron Curry fathered a child ACIB thought was his.

40. Skavage says:

We should have fed Marshawn more in the 2nd half. Run game was going great. But omg… another ankle injury for Okung???? Yikes!

41. MadSweeney42 says:

If TJ is ok and plays next game, he should really brush up on his situational awareness. On 1st and 10 and he should have slid. 3rd down, yeah fight for it. But there’s less than 0% reason to fight for the 11th yard on that play. Terrible decision and the team could’ve paid for it if CW had been bad.

42. Mr_Fish says:

OK, now they’ve shown me something!

I’m moving the Seahawks off the “worst teams in the NFL” list and onto the “most underrated teams in the NFL” list.

43. TJ needs to quit exposing our receivers to hard hits.Cause of his high passes. maybe he needs to feel how a high pass 7 tackle feel. let Kam take a shot at him in mid-air…. Very tactile for TJ.. a lesson learned…..

44. Sarcasticus says:

It was great to see the team come through despite Anthony McCoy.

Doug Baldwin is an absolute gem of a find.

Anthony Hargrove and the rest of that D-line are coming together nicely.

E.T. and K.C. each had a pick and K.C. should have had two. If Thurmond had not dropped the one he drove hard on, each member of the starting secondary would have had a pick today. Thurmond played a strong game.

It was nice to see Whitehurst play well, but I wish he would not throw so many off his back foot.

45. “It was great to see the team come through despite Anthony McCoy.”

Yeah, he was a weak link out there. Missed Miller big time. And would of course be nice to still have Carlson around to back him up.

46. If this wasn’t a fluke, I’ve been very wrong about this team.

I expected the order of finish to be:
    1. AZ
    2. SL
    3.Sea
    4. SF

Right now it looks like the exact opposite!

47. “Question: I don’t tend to follow other teams closely. Could Baldwin be a serious rookie of the year candidate? ”

Maybe, if it wasn’t for Cam Newton. Some pretty good rookie WR’s this year too in Julio Jones and AJ Green. But our guy’s numbers are right there with those 1st rounders.

48. raymaines says:

Baldwin = Rookie of the year? No, but he could be the roadblock in Tate’s yellow brick road to success.

Not that it’s any big secret, but Stanford athletes are often under rated. Like, smart guys can’t actually be good or anything. It’s just the system they play in, right? Wrong.

One game does not a season make, but the ‘Hawks look better than we thought they would and, today at least, the the 49ers looked like a dynasty.

49. Kingpear says:

Hey AaronCurryisaBust

BIGGEST BUST in Seahawks history!!!!!!! ???

I have two words for you… Rick Mirer

50. Over 300 yards passing today – gotta like that – and it came from a team known for having a good pass rush. Got some time and took advantage.

The other great part is that our WR’s are finally starting to get open.

51. LUVXMAS says:

Kingpear: Or Kelly Stauffer or how about Brian Bosworth? Nope Curry maybe in top 10 but far from #1.

52. raymaines says:

Biggest Bust in SeaHawk history?

Rick Mirer: Rookie of the year 1993, played in the league for 12 years.

Maybe Dan McGwire, #16 1991, pick five years in the league, but not Rick Mirer.

53. Sarcasticus says:

Mirer was actually decent as a young player and netted a decent trade.

At this early point in the season, I am not sure Mike Williams is among the top 3 wide-outs on this team.

54. Kingpear says:

Damn…

Forgot about Kelly Stauffer….

Like most high trauma experiences, the brain will block them out.