Trufant surprise addition to injury list

Post by Eric Williams on Oct. 6, 2011 at 3:58 pm with 13 Comments »
October 6, 2011 3:58 pm

The Seattle Seahawks got a couple guys back to practice this afternoon, but also lost a key member from the defense for the at least a day.

Tight end Zach Miller (knee) and defensive lineman Anthony Hargrove (hamstring) returned to practice on Thursday. But cornerback Marcus Trufant (back) did not practice.

Trufant played in every game last year, but finished the season having to leave the game against Chicago with a concussion.

In 2009 Trufant was limited to 10 games because of a back issue that flared up during training camp. So the Seahawks are taking a cautious approach with their veteran corner. So far, Trufant has played well this season.

Rookie Richard Sherman worked with the first unit at cornerback in place of Trufant and had a pretty good practice.

“It was a situation with Tru where we felt like we could get Richard in there,” Seattle defensive coordinator Gus Bradley said. “Richard’s got to be able to play corner for us, nickel for us, so we’ve got to get him up to speed. And this time of year you see guys get nicked, and we just feel like we’ve got to bring those younger guys along and get them more reps on the field.”

Along with Trufant, receiver Mike Williams (concussion) and linebacker Malcolm Smith (hamstring) did not practice. Safety Kam Chancellor (quad) and cornerback Byron Maxwell (ankle) were limited in practice. And Robert Gallery (groin) remains out.

Bradley also talked about how his defense will deal with New York quarterback Eli Manning.

“He’s got a lot of time back there,” Bradley said. “And when he’s got a lot of time, he’s been really effective. And I think his quarterback rating is like 104 against pressure. So if you give him time, he’s effective. And if you pressure him he’s effective.

“And that’s what happened in Arizona. They go to him a few times, but then at times he got to the open man before they could get to him. He’s very poised. Very accurate and he looks like he’s even better than he was last year against us.”

So what do you do against Manning?

“You’ve got to mix it up, give him different looks,” Bradley said. “Create confusion and win on third down.”

Bradley also addressed the issue of creating more turnovers. The Seahawks only have two forced turnovers through two games.

Bradley said defensively they have brought more pressure thinking that would help create more turnovers, but in studying other teams, Seattle’s coaching staff discovered the teams playing more zone coverage were creating more turnover opportunities.

“You would think that the teams that are pressuring more are getting more turnovers, but that’s not the case,” Bradley said. “It’s teams around the league, there are some that are doing a real good job getting the ball playing zone coverages.

“We’ve been bringing quite a bit of pressure, hoping that that gets it. And I think we’ve just got to mix it up more, get our eyes on the ball a little bit more. Mix it up. Not go completely to zone, but just enough to where our guys have chances to break on the ball.”

For New York, cornerback Prince Amukamura (foot), center David Baas (neck) and running back Brandon Jacobs (knee) did not practice.

Defensive tackle Rocky Bernard (ribs), defensive end Osi Umenyiora (knee), linebacker Michael Boley (knee) and defensive end Justin Tuck (groin/neck) were limited.

Notes from practice
  1. Eric — what’s up with Walter Thurmond? Did he have a “high” ankle sprain that he’s working back from? Is he simply not looking good? I’m surprised that a guy like Sherman is getting reps with the first unit and Thurmond is not. I’ve been out of the loop for a day, but this seems a bit out of whack? Is Sherman looking that good and/or Thurmond that bad (or combination of both)? I guess I had high expectations for Thurmond to be healthy and productive this season.

2. freedom_X says:

My observations are that Thurmond is pretty mediocre when he’s in. I hope it’s because he’s still recovering from some injury. But he right now reminds me of Quentin Richardson of the Huskies – touted corner who is not producing at all. When I’ve noticed him, he looks a step (or two) behind the play.

If he’s not recovering from some injury, then he’s a pretty big disappointment, considering how highly Thurmond was touted last year and this. I don’t think our current, demonstrated CB talent level is much better than last year, though the upside is considerably higher.

3. BobbyK, I thought the exact same thing about Thurmond. I was under the impression that he would be a legitimate player from his pre-draft rankings (Early draft pick that fell because of his health/injury concern)… I guess the scouting was wrong.

Either that, or Sherman was playing elite.

4. oscar_contender says:

Thurmond starts on the nickel package, plus they have seen him play as a starter before, I really think they are just seeing if Sherman can play at the line with his size. Thurmond has been shutting down the slot receiver so far, why change where he is playing well? Giving a rookie reps when your vet is resting is pretty common, especially when he was your “guy” You know how Mr. Happy aka the Win 4ever guru likes big corners BobbyK. I don’t think we need to worry about Thurmond, he is doing his job so far. With Bradley giving our D some new looks with zone packages, I don’t see any harm in bringing in a 6’3″ corner for reps.

It would be nice to get the run game going, especially on the road. With all those injuries on NY’s D, this might be a good time to establish something. Our O line is at least playing together, 6 sackless quarters is a HUGE improvement. We are going to be dangerous when our run game gets going. It is going to be a nice setup on offense for whoever our QB is for years to come. Nice to see Jackson get everyone involved and quiet a few critics as well. If he can win on the road, it won’t look like such a bad move by the brass everyone is crying about. X factor is Jackson’s 2 year deal and what was said behind closed doors in regard to their “plan” they keep eluding to. Go Hawks!

5. Nice call Bobby. That was my first thought too.

I hope we are not playing Manning at the wrong time! Looks like he’s warming up to possibly a career year.

No coach is really safe for long in New York, but Coughlin is about as safe as one can get right now.Imo.
    This is why grumpy Coughlin isn’t going anywhere after this year unless he chooses to retire.

Tru’s back again? Not good. He wasn’t right last year after missing games in ’09 as E points out, and now another flair up? His career is winding down, sadly.

And Bradley’s right. Especially after a strong pre-season, time to see what they’ve got in Sherman. And Maxwell’s back too so depth isn’t an issue, aside from experience.

9. Palerydr says:

Nice breakdown Oscar I wasn’t thinking along those lines but that makes sense. If the Hawks can sustain some drives and score 20 + points this week I will have to adjust my expectations for them this year. I still think TOP and turnovers will be the deciding factors for this game. They have to do a better job of controlling the ball on offense to keep the Defense fresh. I feel it’s a domino effect that will lead to better pressure and more turnovers.

10. Let’s face it: there’s only a 10 to 20 percent chance of a Seahawks win this Sunday. I just don’t want it to be a massacre. The Giants have really taken it to the Seahawks a couple of times in the last few years, making them look like a high school team. This year, I’m hoping for Div. 1 college at least.

11. HawkyHann says:

Trufant is a great person, but since 2007, he has been on the decline. I’m excited to see Sherman and others. Also, want to see Earl get a pick, He’s due.

12. Sherman impressed in early season games,maybe it`s his time. Trufant plays off his man (maybe that`s the DC`s game plan) if not it`s hard to cover someone if your always chasing… just a thought how about trading Tate & Curry for an Osi type of player…(pass rusher) before Trading Deadline

I would trade Tate and Curry for an Osi type of player in a heart beat! And I would really like to get the 3rd rounder back from the C.W. trade.